Awoo.

Riots Spread Across the United Kingdom

Glenn

Wow. This is just horrible. Needless to say, I'm glad that you guys are safe and hope that things get better soon. No one deserves to have to go through this. :(

The rioters are already setting things on fire in West Bromwich. They just showed some footage of a car on fire there on Sky News. The Greater Manchester police just spoke to them and confirmed riots have started there, too.

I don't even understand the protests. "Yeah, let's protest because an armed protector of peace was defending himself." Seriously? The officer was shot and he fired back. What's wrong with that? I'm honestly stunned that more than three people within a hundred-mile radius would protest that.

They've confirmed that there was no evidence of the guy being harmed, so the police officer shot an unarmed man, and that's what the initial protest was about. Since then people are just rioting because they can. They're likely just using it as an excuse to go looting for free stuff.

The rioters are already setting things on fire in West Bromwich. They just showed some footage of a car on fire there on Sky News. The Greater Manchester police just spoke to them and confirmed riots have started there, too.

There goes my plans of the week the fucking drain for going Manchester sad.gif (I'm just outside town in Tameside) Seriously I hope this fucking ends soon it's ruined my chances at looking for a part time job this week thanks you fucking heartless rioting basterds =/

-Edit - totally pissed off that I can't even type down sentences right :@

Edited by StockingCroft
  • Thumbs Up 1

*sigh* More mob mentality. Just great.

Speaking from a scientific point of view, the reason these things happen is due to a really unfortunate and highly misunderstood/underestimated force of nature called "peer pressure". Seriously. We are biologically programmed to "go along with the crowd", because in the hunter-gatherer times not going along with the tribe often meant death—often by rivals, but also by the tribe itself.

The weak and stupid can't/don't resist, so we end up with insanity like this. The reason we it's wrong to open fire on these people is because the flaw of the vast majority is that they're complete idiots, not that they're evil. Once this is all over and done with, the vast majority of rioters involved in this will almost certainly look back and wonder how they could've possibly went along with this, and feel bad for what they did. It's a cycle that doesn't seem to end.

In Vancouver, after the riots that happened this year, there were a lot of people who turned themselves in for their actions, which I thought was really good of them.

All of you living in the riot areas now, maybe you could try and make your own Wall after the riots are over and done with. In the end, it ended up being a lot more effective against the rioters than any of the police were at the time. smile.gif

Just as a little update. According to my mother today someone tried to start one of these riots up here in Glasgow (though apparently he didn't get any followers and was quickly arrested before he could really get anywhere with it). I don't know if it's true exactly, but it tells you how far and fast all this stuff could end up spreading to...

I just hope that things get under control soon, and that we try to avoid as many casualties as possible.

YAY! Sky News has heard from the West Midlands police that West Bromwich is under control and that the crowds have dispersed.

• Thumbs Up 3

YAY! Sky News has heard from the West Midlands police that West Bromwich is under control and that the crowds have dispersed.

And from what I'm hearing from my *ahem* sources, that'll be a continuing trend, if not tonight then within the next few days.

You didn't hear it from me, but the Metropolitan Police keep a weapons training and storage facility here in Kent. Except this afternoon, it became an empty collection of buildings and shelves.

Plastic bullets are loaded and ready. The decision whether to authorise their use depends on the scale of tonight's riots.

This is going to end.

Also, Flyboy, any update on your mother? I'm glad to hear she actually got to the hospital, but an overnight stay before major surgery isn't ideal, so I'll be keeping fingers crossed that she made it to her friend's place. Thank you for keeping us posted earlier, and I hope you're alright.

• Thumbs Up 1

She did make it back to her friend's, but she's got to be at the hospital again by 7:30am tomorrow and when I talked to her on the phone she was pretty apprehensive about having to navigate Clapham in the early hours of the morning to get there tomorrow. She's been in Stretham most of the afternoon and said there was no active trouble while she was there, but all the shops and restaurants were boarded up in preparation for anticipated trouble tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also

Riots is apparently a cyclical thing in the UK, huh?

Once again this isn't political.

Oh by the way, I personally find that Morrissey is a pretentious prick.dry.gif

The Smiths are cool, but Morrissey is a douche.

She did make it back to her friend's, but she's got to be at the hospital again by 7:30am tomorrow and when I talked to her on the phone she was pretty apprehensive about having to navigate Clapham in the early hours of the morning to get there tomorrow. She's been in Stretham most of the afternoon and said there was no active trouble while she was there, but all the shops and restaurants were boarded up in preparation for anticipated trouble tonight.

London is the focus of the increased police presence, so should any trouble spark, it'll be dealt with swiftly. I should hope that, by the early hours of the morning, London will be secure. There's also been a great pre-emptive police effort: earlier, a seventeen-year-old thug was arrested while using Facebook to try and instigate a riot. His "call to arms" went unanswered. It really looks promising.

Please pass on all our best wishes to your mother, and I'm sure we'll all be thinking of her tomorrow... and thinking of you too, Flyboy. smile.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG. 50-70 residents in Enfield are policing the streets themselves O_O

• Thumbs Up 2

Enfield have got the right idea!

It's inspiring, but I don't want the residents putting themselves in danger :(

It's inspiring, but I don't want the residents putting themselves in danger sad.gif

True, hopefully nobody will try and be stupidly heroic. D:

It's inspiring, but I don't want the residents putting themselves in danger sad.gif

Same. This coming from somebody who usually leaps before looking, but if those are inexperienced innocent civilians, they're just risking the frenzy of the mob. I applaud and respect their bravery, but if a single one gets injured (or worse) then the situation is suddenly ten times more serious.

Still, they're out there, and saying such things won't make them turn back, so I wish them the very best of luck and safety.