Awoo.

Riots Spread Across the United Kingdom

Glenn

I don't get why they're rioting in in Birmingham, its not in London for crying out loud.

Edit: Not that I approve of the behaviour in London, but the initial incident happened in London, why in the hell are Birmingham protesting when the have a completely different Police force.

Edited by blackherox

I don't know why but when I look at this news it reminds me of the Los Angles Riots of 1992.

I thought the same thing.

"Hey, the police did something that could arguably be construed as over the line. Let's respond by burning the entire fucking city to the ground."

Which goes back to what has said by many others here: There is no reason for this. People are just using it as an excuse.

Honestly, rioters really piss me off. I'll never understand their mindset or what drives them to do the stupid things that they do. What motivates these random acts of violence? What possesses people to flip over cars and torch buildings? They're not getting anything out of it, and when this is all over they'll have nothing to do but wallow in their own mess. Fucking senseless.

My sympathies go out to anyone who got caught in the middle of this. It must be a terrifying and violating feeling.

Would you honestly believe I would have taken 20 lives?

You honestly think, a 16 year old who let alone doesn't know how to defend himself.. Yet... Kill in cold blood?

I have some sympathy here and there. I do wish the best for the people of London since I have friends over there as well.

I just like to... Actually I'm trying to hard to be cold... And I failed miserably.

• Thumbs Up 3

RE: TheREVerend - Guys, let it drop, please. It was a dick move to make those posts, but we can't move on if you keep responding and dragging it on further.

Well, considering I live in London, this is obviously worrying me a fair bit. Some of the riots earlier today were pretty much on the doorstep of some of my relatives (Hackney), and it's a little unnerving at how the riots seem to be not only worsening by the day, but also progressively spreading further and further- and nearer to where I live.

I just hope this calms down by Thursday/ Friday, since I've got work then, and in all honesty, if these riots are still going on then, I might just outright skip work. If there are riots here, it's highly likely my workplace would be targeted, and I certainly don't want to get caught up in all this. I just hope they stay away from there in general; I mean, even if I'm not there when it happens, if they trash my workplace, I've got nowhere to work and lose income. Best case scenario, they'll just overlook my immediate area, but failing that I'd rather they just come and go before Thursday. Like I said, the last thing I want is to get caught up in this. Fingers crossed the situation will have been defused by then.

But yeah, surely I can't be the only one here just wishing that the police had the authority and the gall to just start gunning these rioters down on sight? They're doing this because they know they can get away with it, and they are. At most, the police are threatening arrest. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people involved in all this; the police will be lucky to get half of them, if that. Likely much, much less. These people know that they're pretty much immune. I bet they'd stop pretty quickly if it became the ultimatum of "You riot and we'll kill you". The laws in this country are far too soft. I was at least expecting them to be using tear gas, or something along those lines by now.

I mean, even if the police did threaten to shoot rioters, it can hardly be called 'unfair' or 'oppression' when it's something as mindlessly destructive and criminal as this. The Chinese government killing peaceful student protesters? That's wrong, without a doubt? In this case? Much less so. Rather than make them look bad, it might make them look like they actually have the guts to step in with drastic measures to stop something that's gotten so clearly out of hand, rather than as things stand now, where they just look like they're not really doing much to stop this.

Good god I hope they stay the hell away from my area, but unfortunately it's starting to look more like 'when' they get here, rather than 'if', unless something is done soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am going to bed now, but I am going to leave this video of Cyndi Lauper Covering Marvin Gaye's 70's classic 'What's Going' I think this fit's the times like a glove.

Night Night people, sleep tight!wink.gif

EDIT: No Chuck D sorry must be a typo.

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of the L.A. riots, does the U.K. have an equivalent to the National Guard to call in to try and take control of the situation if the police can't get things settled? I've heard calls to bring "the military" into the situation, but I'm not sure what that means for a non-U.S. country.

Edited by Tornado

I don't see why they can't bring the Army in. Get the tear gas out, get the hydro cannons out, hell, even get the rubber bullets and tasers out. Nearly anything that can put these people in their places and show who has the REAL power and authority. If only the powers that be grew a pair of balls and protected our very way of life..

• Thumbs Up 4

RE: TheREVerend - Guys, let it drop, please. It was a dick move to make those posts, but we can't move on if you keep responding and dragging it on further.

That's what I wanted to say, but... I'm so... Tired and stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh another Big riot I could compare this to. This is a big more violent and personal to me. The Riots that went on during the Mormon churches beginning. The people that killed mormons for fun and got away with it. The people that raped the mens daughters and wives. And for what reason? Because they didn't like the mormons peoples religion when they could have easily just left them alone. I'm Just 100% against riots and mobs they make me sick!sad.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why they can't bring the Army in. Get the tear gas out, get the hydro cannons out, hell, even get the rubber bullets and tasers out. Nearly anything that can put these people in their places and show who has the REAL power and authority. If only the powers that be grew a pair of balls and protected our very way of life..

Precisely. The Police are good people, so why risk their lives for something they won't be able to control?

I know this is secondary, but just a thought.

Don't we have the Olympics in London, like next year (well even less than a year now), this isn't exactly best news, when the international community are most likely watching, with open eyes.

I know this is secondary, but just a thought.

Don't we have the Olympics in London, like next year (well even less than a year now), this isn't exactly best news, when the international community are most likely watching, with open eyes.

Oh there have been worse times when the olympics were held. MUCH worse.

Seriously, the government are far too worried about their image here, and I'm guessing that's a big reason why they're being so light-handed with all this.

They're so worried about appearing 'brutal' and 'oppressive' that it's turned the authorities that should be stopping this into little more than a front. Yes, one argument is that if they tried to end it forcefully, it would cause further anger against the government and the police, and could worsen the situation. But have we really got into such a state that it's considered immoral for the police to use force to stop something so serious?

Even if the police basically end up crushing all opposition with brute force, if that's the best way to get people in line, then wouldn't it be for the best? As I said in my previous post, it's hardly unreasonable since what these rioters are doing is so outrageously illegal and destructive anyway. The fact they're just sitting back and trying to 'contain' the wave of destruction just makes them look like a joke. They need to start cracking some heads and mowing the offenders down until they stop, even if only out of fear. I mean, isn't the whole point of the police that criminals are supposed to fear them?

When the hell did the law become so soft?

If anything, the way they're completely failing to take any kind of sufficient action here is just going to make our country look like a laughing stock. There have been terrorist attacks that have done less overall damage than this. Granted, nobody's been killed as a result of this (as far as I know), but the level of destruction is insane. It almost feels like a terrorist attack from within.

Edited by -Mark-

Just got home in Essex after fleeing London. Was told at work that we were closing down for the night and everyone was to leave to get home early and more safely. Had to go through Barking and the station was closed because of police requests.

I know people seem to

When the hell did the law become so soft?

To be honest, its mostly the fact that the Police are dwarfed in comparison to the people rioting and on top of that thanks to technology (facebook, twitter, text etc), the rioters can easily organise themselves to meet up in different areas, with the Police essentially having to play catch up. I mean how do you think the protests in Egypt were so effective?

Although, I guess getting the army in would be very beneficial.

Again though, the fact that society has got to a stage where it would be deemed wrong for them to simply open fire on these people is a shame. Outnumbered or not, if the police simply started shooting them, or hell, even just rubber bullets or tear gas bombs, that'd soon give them the upper hand.

But yeah, the army seriously need to get in on this soon, it's crazy.

I really hope this is a joke, but my store manager has said on facebook that a few shops not far from my workplace have been hit. Apparently they closed at 8PM today, but still? Fingers crossed the place manages to survive. :S

To be honest, its mostly the fact that the Police are dwarfed in comparison to the people rioting

I actually suspect it's more to do with how incompetent the Metropoliton police department appear to be lately when it comes to their behaviour as a unit.

I have no doubt that as a single individual their great police men... but as an organisation... they don't fill me with hope.

For instance, the first night the rioting broke out... the police didn't exactly impress me that much with their responce... they put all their riot officers outside of the tottenham police station and whilst Carpet Right and the apartments were burning they did nothing.

It wasn't until hours past that they actually bothered to move into the worst hit areas.

Today I saw reports and whilst watching it live on TV there were between 50-100 rioters in Hackney... there were 300 police in full riot gear... ... in a totally different area where nothing was going on.

Now we're not going to see the army on the streets (at least not yet). Because we're not at that situation yet. Theres been nothing so far that the police are not trained to handle. The problem is... for goodness knows why, they're not actually doing much of anything, at least thats the impression that I get when I see the news at the moment.

As for the politicians....

David Cameron has cut his holiday short... the Home Secretary has cut her holiday short... and Nick Clegg has cut his holiday short and is walking around Tottenham talking to people.

HOORAY! That'll fix it!

If we get anything other than Cameron saying "These acts are disgusting and those responsible will be punished" I'll be amazed. He's a joke, his government is weak and pathetic. It's almost like that moment in the original Portal where you escape the fire pit and Glados says "What are you doing? Stop it! I... I... I! I!I!I!I!! IIIIIIII!!!" Before it all falls apart.