Awoo.

Why do people want Sonic Adventure 3?

Nintendoga

Ok let me be more descriptive.

Ok look I know not everyone hated the alt. gameplay styles from the first two games, but that doesn't mean they should be put back. When I play Sonic I expect to be running through loops and smashing through robots, not looking for emerald shards inside of an enclosed level or shooting missles out of a mech, it was good for maybe a one time deal, but it should never be a permanent addition as it goes completely against the traditional Sonic gameplay. I understand people liked it, but honestly if you want to play with those styles go play those games because a new game with that kind of gameplay really wouldn't help Sonic's flucutating popularity.

As for the story, that can be done in any game, the game doesn't have to be called Sonic adventure 3, it can be any game ST decide to make.

All this clamouring for Sa3, is just like the clamouring for Sonic 4 and really I'd rather ST not make a sequel to the series JUST because a bunch of whiny fanboys(Not directed at you or anyone here) can't move on from 2001.

The problem with just having one style of gameplay is the lack of variety which will cause many people to get bored after a while.

And while I see why alot of people may not like treasure hunting the fact is that hunting for emeralds has been in the sonic franchise

long before the adventure series,it was just done a different way. As for mech shooting......well I cant really say much here but I still

like it (especially for Eggman).

And for the story yeah sure, the story could be done in any sonic game but depending on the game, a story with a

more serious tone may get more backlash than if it were named SA3 and thats because fans expect the adventure series to have a more serious tone

than other sonic games, it would just be more fitting.

Like how nobody complained about the dark story in SA2 but in Sonic 06 it was all like "omg why so serious!"

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with just having one style of gameplay is the lack of variety which will cause many people to get bored after a while.

No one got bored with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you can add variet without completely going against your original purpose, that's characters like Tails and Knuckles have different abilities, so there's your variety.

and while I see why alot of people may not like treasure hunting the fact is that hunting for emeralds has been in the sonic franchise

long before the adventure series,it was just done a different way.

A way that's completely optional, and don't have to do. There's a difference between getting the emeralds through bonus stages, and having an entire level dedicated to searching for them.

No one got bored with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you can add variet without completely going against your original purpose, that's characters like Tails and Knuckles have different abilities, so there's your variety.

True, but that was a long time ago and 2D platfomers were huge back then and not much was expected but that isnt the case now.

Just having different abilites but the same level may still get boring because the gameplay is still the same.

A way that's completely optional, and don't have to do. There's a difference between getting the emeralds through bonus stages, and having an entire level dedicated to searching for them.

True but it was only optional to complete the story afterwards you no longer had to do it just like getting all the emeralds in S3&K was necessary for the true ending. Although I too would rather have treasure hunting as optional instead of forced upon you to complete the story.

Maybe as a side-mission?

Edited by Eastwood

True, but that was a long time ago and 2D platfomers were huge back then and not much was expected but that isnt the case now.

Just having different abilites but the same level may still get boring because the gameplay is still the same.

2D platformers aren't successful nowadays?

600full-donkey-kong-country-returns-cover.jpg'

nsmbw_pkg.jpg

And these are two of the top selling games on the Wii, AND all the characters play exaclty the same.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 5

2D platformers aren't successful nowadays?

600full-donkey-kong-country-returns-cover.jpg'

wii-new-super-mario-bros-704001.jpg

And all the additional characters play exaclty the same.

I didn't mean they werent succesful I just meant they sold way more back then than they do now, and I was also reffering to Sonic,

Not Donkey Kong. Sorry, I kinda failed to specify what I meant.

I suggest taking out the clue system in treasure hunting. You know where the key is the challenge is getting to it.

I didn't mean they werent succesful I just meant they sold way more back then than they do now, and I was also reffering to Sonic,

Not Donkey Kong. Sorry, I kinda failed to specify what I meant.

Because that's all there was to play back then, now there a lot more genres to choose from, Platformers aren't the only competettion anymore.

I suggest taking out the clue system in treasure hunting. You know where the key is the challenge is getting to it.

That would make it worse, because you would literally wonder aimlesly with no hint if your getting close or not.

That would make it worse, because you would literally wonder aimlesly with no hint if your getting close or not.

How would you be wandering aimlessly when you know where it is?

What part of "You know where the key is" did you not understand.

Oh I missunderstood.

Wouldn't that kind of make it pointless though? If you already know where the emerald is, you may as well just make it into a traditional level and put the emerald as the goal ring.

All I can say is...for variety. I don't see why a level where the objective is to find a key can't be fast paced and beat em up.

Oh and before you all scream 'werehog' and jump on top of chairs. Thats why I said fast paced.

Edited by Dejablue

All I can say is...for variety. I don't see why a level where the objective is to find a key can't be fast paced and beat em up.

...But wouldn't that just mean what Shadic said? Simply replacing a Goal Ring/Signpost with a key?

That depends on how you lay out the level. I wouldn't like it if I played as Knuckles exactly like Sonic. That would be stupid.

I meant the stages, not the characters.

Because if that's the case, you get S3&K. But with keys.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

That depends on how you lay out the level. I wouldn't like it if I played as Knuckles exactly like Sonic. That would be stupid.

No one is saying that, obviously he would still have his glide and climbing abilities. Did you really find Knuckles boring to play as in Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

The so-called "Adventure Style" of gameplay isn't exclusive to a titled with the name SA3. Heroes, Shadow and 06 used a[n increasingly crappier] variation of that same engine and gameplay style. And any game in the future that models its gameplay from it, doesn't have to have its name be limited to Sonic Adventure 3.

The Story-telling style isn't exclusive to the Adventures. Any new game, regardless of style or title can have a story in a similar vain to SA1 and SA2's plots.

The alternate characters/gameplay styles aren't limited to a title by the name of SA3. Any new Sonic game can have genre roulette (optional or otherwise), or a properly balanced gameplay variation.

The same goes for Sonic 4. A game using the [properly made] classic style doesn't have to have to be titled "Sonic the Hedgehog #?".

We also don't need a game entitled Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4/5 to continue their respective sagas.

To me, every single Sonic game is an adventure. Any game can continue on from where SA2 left off and it doesn't need to be called SA3 to do so. Although after so many years, I don't see the point. Heroes (sort of) and Shadow closed that chapter long ago.

EDIT:

Entering the alternate gameplay debate.

I don't care as long as I don't HAVE to play it, to complete the story mode. Also it would be preferable if each characters moveset is a modified version of Sonic's moveset, so that we don't have to learn a completely different control setup for an alternate gameplay style in a single game.

Also SA2's hint system was fucking retarded. Half the hints were so vague they may as well have said "The emeralds are hidden somewhere in the level". Others started to try a trick you by pointing you in the wrong direction, and in Rouge's case, they not only did that, but they also reversed the font, so you had to physically read backwards as well. That is fucking bullshit, and artificial challenge.

Edited by Scar

S3&K is the farthest thing from my mind atm. I'm not thinking about games that far back. I'm talking about if in a modern game I was given the option to play as Knuckles. To boost spam my way through a level exactly like Sonic would feel like a rip off. In fact if you're Knuckles, just glide over things. Talk about broken. So what should we do? Knuckles never be playable again? How do we work the hedgehog engine around an Echidna?

Edited by Dejablue

You give him the level design to compensate? I don't see how pegging Sonic down to one style or the use of a specific graphical engine are inhibitions to more vertical stage design that would be fitting for a character like Knuckles.

S3&K is the farthest thing from my mind atm. I'm not thinking about games that far back. I'm talking about if in a modern game I was given the option to play as Knuckles. To boost spam my way through a level exactly like Sonic would feel like a rip off. In fact if you're Knuckles, just glide over things. Talk about broken. So what should we do? Knuckles never be playable again? How do we work the hedgehog engine around an Echidna?
You're not going to glide over much in an Unleashed Day style level. Invisible walls every-fuckin'-where. How to handle Knuckles's gliding and climbing (as well as Tails' flight) is a valid concern, but I don't think it's insurmountable; Unleashed style shouldn't break too badly considering it's already pretty constrained, and like Nepenthe said, more vertically-oriented levels will stop his gliding from being a game-breaker. Might also be worth considering nerfing his abilities a bit, maybe making his glide descend faster over time and limiting what he can climb on.

Limiting his climbing ability has me worried. It's like the Werehog, you got stretchy arms but you can only grab very specific points. But you have stretch arms! You should be spiderman! Knuckles has been able to climb on almost any and everything in every game he's been in. How are you going to logically explain how Knuckles is able to climb up this wall but not this wall?

Limiting his climbing ability has me worried. It's like the Werehog, you got stretchy arms but you can only grab very specific points. But you have stretch arms! You should be spiderman!
Unfortunately that can make for crappy game design; how do you construct obstacles for a character that can all but fly?

Knuckles has been able to climb on almost any and everything in every game he's been in. How are you going to logically explain how Knuckles is able to climb up this wall but not this wall?
Maybe he can only climb softer surfaces, like dirt, and not harder surfaces, like solid metal.

As for why he can't climb metal now when he had no problem before? Game design. Stop worrying about it and play.

About the key finding problem, I mean I really don't see a problem all you have to do is replace the chao in act 3 of roof top run in unleashed by keys or emerald shards and you have a fast paced treasure hunting type of gameplay.

Not if there's variety in level design gimmicks and challenges. Take Super Mario Galaxy 2, for example. Aside from the racing levels and ball levels, it mostly sticks to the same gameplay style throughout (unless you count the fully 2-D levels or the various power-ups as "a different style" but whatever). However, nearly every galaxy offered something new that hadn't been seen before. This is exactly what I'd like to see from a Sonic game.

But if they DID want to do alternate gameplay in a Sonic game again, then why does it have to be a different genre altogether? As an example, take Megaman X4, X5 and X6. The titular character uses an arm cannon as a weapon, making for an experience more akin to a 2-D shooter. But in all three of those games, you can also control Zero, who uses a sword, making for a very different experience more reminiscent of a hack n slash. However, due to the way their levels are designed (as they go through the same levels), both characters still fit equally into the action-platformer genre, and they both feel similar enough that you still feel like you're playing the same game. This is very much a viable approach for Sonic. Tails can already fly, but maybe he can use his gadgets in the stages as well, which can make for a new and interesting experience. Knuckles can already glide, climb and dig, but if you want to change things up even further, give him more enemies to fight and a few combos. Perhaps you could even make him fight larger enemies that take more than one hit to defeat, and his bosses could be designed around his brute strength. Simply giving characters different abilities, strengths and weaknesses and adjusting the level design to fit them if needed creates variety in gameplay while still keeping the game what it should be throughout: a fast platformer.