Awoo.

The Ninja Turtles are Back in (Live) Action!

Toby

No, it follows up the older movies. It even references them a couple times.

Really? Wow, I would've never guessed that. =U

TMNT isn't a direct sequel. It's an alternate continuity sequel that picks up elements both from the 2003 show and the movies; more so the former, as characters such as Karai were never involved in the original trilogy and were introduced in the newer series with their established personalities and stories.

As Turtles Forever proved, TMNT merely takes place in another universe of Turtles, but it catered less towards the base who grew up with the original trilogy and more towards the newer show at the time which most kids knew of and followed, only sprinkling certain fan nods such as The Scepter in Splinter's trophy room for the people who had seen the original movies. For people who religiously loved the original movies but never even caught the 2003 show on air, the movie had a bad case of explaining jack-shit about the characters and motivations.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but the actors from the 90s film has stuff to say about this.....according to TMZ and IGN.

UPDATE, MARCH 21: Now two of the actors who voiced the Turtles in the three 1990s live-action movies have gotten drawn into the fray of what we've dubbed "Turtlegate." TMZ says Robbie Rist, who voiced Michaelangelo, posted a letter to Bay that said the filmmakers was "sodomizing" the beloved franchise with his alien approach. Said Rist, "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The rape of our childhood memories continues ... "

However, Bay has a supporter in Rist's co-star Brian Tochi, who voiced Leonardo in the '90s movies. "If Michael Bay wants to do a different take on the turtles origin story ... mazel tov!," Tochi toldTMZ. Another Bay supporter is Judith Hoag, who played April O'Neil in 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Hoag, however, is a veteran of Bay films. She admitted to the site, "I was in Armageddon ... which Michael directed ... as well as Nightmare On Elm Street and I Am Number Four which he produced."

Edited by Eternal X

Damn, the backlash for this movie is nowhere near as bad as the backlash for the transformers movies.

Damn, the backlash for this movie is nowhere near as bad as the backlash for the transformers movies.

Going slightly off-topic, screencaps for the new Nickelodeon show have been released (from about a month ago, but no one's posted them here, so what the hey). It doesn't looks half-bad; the new designs for the turtles really differentiate them a lot more than in past entries (a bit jarring, but nothing hard to get used to IMO), the CGI is smexy, Shredder looks threatening with his Zuko-face and overcompensating hand blades, and the feety ninja are the feety ninja. It's hard to make a final judgement without seeing the show in action, but it pretty much looks like the right mix of humor and action that makes talking karate tortoises talking karate tortoises. Looking forward to it!

tl;dr: hey look new lookinat pics from the new Nick show lookatem

http://ridersrangersandrambles.com/2012/02/16/new-nick-tmnt-screencaps/ (Gave up on posting all the screencaps here because slow computer)

When I saw the name to this topic, I thought it would be some cruddy live show tour or something. When I saw what it ACTUALLY was, I thought, "HECK YEAH."

Eh. I know it's impossible to judge from screencaps alone, but all I had in mind while looking at them was the animation style for the Dreamworks TV shows (Kung Fu Panda and that one with the penguins). If it's anything like that, it'll look absolutely terrible in motion.

Eh, the designs are okay, but dear god I have a bad feeling that the CGI will be bland.

It doesn't really feel like a movie more so than a cheap CGI saturday morning cartoon show a la that Kung Fu Panda or Penguin series

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Haven't watched the video myself, but Doug Walker (as Doug, not NC) had his say on the news, too. Sounds like he's more positive about the change, though. Maybe, I can't tell.

Video currently isn't live on the TGWTG site, but it is on Blip, so you can access it by loading a video of his and skipping to the end for the related video screen.

Edit: Okay, so it's not that he's "positive", it's just that he's loving the excuse to rip the shit out of Michael Bay.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I bet Bay is gonna have Rob Cohen direct the movie, the guy who's done movies similar to Bay's works like Fast & the Furious, xXx, and Stealth.

Really, now that I think of it. I just won't see the movie. Chances are I would hate it, and I don't want to give Michael Bay money. So I'll just wait until the initial hype bogs down and then rent the thing, or watch it OnDemand when he gets little to nothing from me. I mean, if people don't want MIchael Bay to keep making stuff based off childhood memories, then they might as well vote with their wallets. And hey, the more you invest in this news, the more likely you'll want to see it more. It's a disease, says I.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

http://collider.com/....erview/154499/

Hope this bit of news calms some people's fears about this whole 'alien' thing.

EDIT: Damn. Only shows Error 404. Sorry guys, still trying to get used to making links.unsure.png

The director basically says the ooze that mutates the Turtles was from an alien race like in the original Mirage comics.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

For those who do want to read the interview just click on 'Interviews,' scroll down and you should find it.

The director basically says the ooze that mutates the Turtles was from an alien race like in the original Mirage comics.

Wait, we're talking about *the* original TMNT comics, right? The ooze there most definitely was not of alien origin because, and I swear I'm not making this up, TMNT was supposed to unofficially tie into Daredevil's origin (It's the last entry in linked article). I'm no Daredevil expert, but I'm fairly damn certain that no aliens were involved with that ooze in any way, shape, or form.

Unless the TMNT comics expanded on that as well, I guess.

Edited by Speederino

Wait, we're talking about *the* original TMNT comics, right? The ooze there most definitely was not of alien origin because, and I swear I'm not making this up, TMNT was supposed to unofficially tie into Daredevil's origin (It's the last entry in linked article). I'm no Daredevil expert, but I'm fairly damn certain that no aliens were involved with that ooze in any way, shape, or form.

Unless the TMNT comics expanded on that as well, I guess.

Nope. Aliens were definitely involved in the original comic origin and it wasn't meant to "unofficially tie in to" Daredevil's origin. The first TMNT comic was originally concieved as a parody comic that riffed on a lot of tropes that were popular in comic books at the time. (I.E.: mutants like the X-Men and ninjas like Daredevil.) That's the reason why the origin is so similar, Shredder's henchman are called "The Foot" to riff on Marvel's own clan of ninjas, the Hand, the Turtles are both mutants and teenagers, the name of the series is so ridiculous, and so on. The book was so popular that Eastman and Laird eventually expanded it beyond its parody roots and established their own universe, but the first issue still remains a parody comic through and through.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Here's a working link

http://collider.com/...terview/154499/

Eh, the designs are okay, but dear god I have a bad feeling that the CGI will be bland.

It doesn't really feel like a movie more so than a cheap CGI saturday morning cartoon show a la that Kung Fu Panda or Penguin series

It is a TV show.

Going slightly off-topic, screencaps for the new Nickelodeon show have been released (from about a month ago, but no one's posted them here, so what the hey). It doesn't looks half-bad; the new designs for the turtles really differentiate them a lot more than in past entries (a bit jarring, but nothing hard to get used to IMO), the CGI is smexy, Shredder looks threatening with his Zuko-face and overcompensating hand blades, and the feety ninja are the feety ninja. It's hard to make a final judgement without seeing the show in action, but it pretty much looks like the right mix of humor and action that makes talking karate tortoises talking karate tortoises. Looking forward to it!

tl;dr: hey look new lookinat pics from the new Nick show lookatem

http://ridersrangers...mnt-screencaps/ (Gave up on posting all the screencaps here because slow computer)

Edited by Kevin

So, in other words, the Turtles are only "Alien" to an extent because the mutant ooze is from an Alien planet?

• 2 weeks later...

God God, people are going ape about this, granted Michael Bay is really hit and miss when comes to his work. But people forget, he is not directing or writting this, nor is he the only producer working on this film.

I am going wait some more on this before I crictize it.

Also it was paramount who chnaged the title which is typical of Moive companies, *cough* 'Avengers Assemble' because you know Hollywood think we're dumb.wink.png

Edited by BW199148