Awoo.

The Ninja Turtles are Back in (Live) Action!

Toby

Yeah, the idea of ninjas on another planet is almost as ridiculous as alien triceratops creatures or giant, interdimensional cow heads.

Oh, wait.

Much respect to Robbie Rist, but the second I saw that comment about the "raping of childhood memories," I facepalmed. That is SUCH an overused phrase, that I was sick of it before I saw it 10,000 times. Can't a bad idea just be a bad idea and not a personal declaration of war on your childhood? (No offense to him, of course.) Also, how exactly does this "sodomize" the original trilogy? This is a reboot, not a remake. This is a completely seperate series of films based on the same property and the original three films will still exist after this, so what's the trouble? Not really understanding the logic here. huh.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is a completely seperate series of films based on the same property and the original three films will still exist after this, so what's the trouble? Not really understanding the logic here. huh.png

I don't really have any problems with this thing being a reboot of the original trilogy. I'm just saying making them aliens is a very stupid idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really have any problems with this thing being a reboot of the original trilogy. I'm just saying making them aliens is a very stupid idea.

That's fine. I just don't get the logic behind Mr. Rist's "sodomizing the first set of movies" comment. If anything, it'd be doing more to the future of the franchise with this whole alien thing.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

I understand why they rebooted the film as this generation (in a generalized sense) doesn't really have much knowledge of the turtles. I am really wondering if the whole "alien" thing was a word mix up for mutant. I hope it was just a mistake because the turtles being aliens just messes with the traditional origin.

Yeah, the idea of ninjas on another planet is almost as ridiculous as alien triceratops creatures or giant, interdimensional cow heads.

Oh, wait.

Much respect to Robbie Rist, but the second I saw that comment about the "raping of childhood memories," I facepalmed. That is SUCH an overused phrase, that I was sick of it before I saw it 10,000 times. Can't a bad idea just be a bad idea and not a personal declaration of war on your childhood? (No offense to him, of course.) Also, how exactly does this "sodomize" the original trilogy? This is a reboot, not a remake. This is a completely seperate series of films based on the same property and the original three films will still exist after this, so what's the trouble? Not really understanding the logic here. huh.png

Today on Michael Bay News:

Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.

Source

It doesn't say it will be called "Ninja Turtles".

After an earth-rattling sizzle reel of his greatest hits – from The Rock to Pearl Harbor to the Transformers trilogy – Michael Bay gave the crowd a first look at the previsualization – filmmaker speak for a 3D, digitally animated storyboard – for Ninja Turtles, Paramount Pictures’ live-action reinvention of the franchise set to hit theaters next year. “We want this film to have the impact of a Transformers one,” said Bay. If the stunning previs is any indication, Bay is making good progress against that lofty goal in his role as producer. Another tidbit he offered up is that the Turtles origin story has been updated, from the decidedly 80s radioactive waste accident to an alien planet. The “teenage mutant” remains intact, however, for the brand-new CG-animated TMNTseries debuting on Nickelodeon this fall – good news for those of us who grew up in a time when the names Leonardo and Donatello were more closely associated with pizza and kung fu than art.

Yes it does. :U That's straight from the blog I linked.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I will give him that I haven't read the script therefore I shouldn't judge. Just the word alien sorta turns me off? And comparing it to the Transformer movies doesn't leave with a comforting feeling.

Man I need to stop being negative about this! There is hardly anything released on this film so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Zany Mallet Maniac

Robbie Rist was in TMNT III.

His argument is invalid.

I'll wait until the film comes out to judge it, but if it does turn out to be drek, millions of people will still watch it to see things go boom, and Bay is gonna be Mr. Rich.

Hmph, gag me with a missile.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand why they rebooted the film as this generation (in a generalized sense) doesn't really have much knowledge of the turtles.

What generation is "this"? Children, teens, young adults? Cause at least anyone around age 21 and up are totally familiar with the Turtles, since the phenomenaly popular 80's cartoon ran all the way up to 1996.

What generation is "this"? Children, teens, young adults? Cause at least anyone around age 21 and up are totally familiar with the Turtles, since the phenomenaly popular 80's cartoon ran all the way up to 1996.

Children and teens are the target audience.

There's really no reason why a reboot couldn't have involved the original background story to the turtles. It wasn't exactly too profound for today's audiences nor was it inherently limited from being privy to "richer world building" Bay's probably bullshitting about. Regardless, the proof will be in the pudding, but I'm not convinced by the man's insistence to chill. He's had like, what, one slight critical hit in his entire 27-year career?

On a related note, I'm tired of origin stories and for once I just want to watch a non-sequel superhero movie that sticks these already-famous characters in a situation that immediately calls to them without spending the entire film re-reintroducing them to the audience that probably already knows of their existence in the first place. Would people complain if something in the vein of Burton's Batman was released today? Hell even if you didn't watch the previous movies, the 2007 TMNT establishes these characters like right away, and we didn't have to sit through yet another origin story just to figure out what their deal is.

Whenever I think of origin stories, I think of movies where the main action doesn't happen until near the end.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yes it does. :U That's straight from the blog I linked.

It shortens the name to Ninja Turtles like a lot of people do while speaking of them. The part saying "The “teenage mutant” remains intact," sounds more like it's talking about how they're still mutants in the show.

Sorry, should have specified. I was referring to children. Trust me, I know teenagers and adults are into it as one look at any TMNT fan site will tell you.

But when I think about it, I don't see the need to have another origin movie when the new series on Nick is going to come out before then. But I guess the writers just want to have a "new" and "fresh" origin story. Who knows their reasoning.

After seeing what Bay did with the Transformers i am not holding my breathe about him portraying them anything like their canon personalities or anything like how we remembered them from the TV Series.

i threw my Faith out the window with Bay along with Transformers 2 and its bullshit, so much so i didn't bother to watch the 3rd after i seen what he did to Shockwave, so yeah Bay doesn't give a damn about the actual flow of things, just tends to make the most ugly re-designs to fit his movies and fills them with explosions and realistic CGI.

he's going to have a whale of a time with the Turtles i'm sure.

speaking of Bay, you can instantly recognize his work simply from the OTT CGI and effects in any movie, after seeing the Trailer for Battleship, before it even got 10 seconds into it, i knew it was Bay's work.

the Turtles will probably end up the same way...

and why is it a reboot? wasn't the TMNT Movie ANOTHER reboot? what is it with producers and Reboots? christ.

Edited by Samus Aran

They might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie.

I said this just before that announcement was made, in case anyone missed it.

Uuuuugh

The 80s cartoon was before my time, but I loved the 2003 series. When I think of childhood cartoons, TMNT is the series that jumps into my head.

If they screw this up... :/

and why is it a reboot? wasn't the TMNT Movie ANOTHER reboot? what is it with producers and Reboots? christ.

No, it was a sequel.