Awoo.

Sonic Generations : General Hacking Thread

azoo

I'm pretty sure we just assumed that, because we saw PS3 pics first. Don't think anything was said, though. Unless I missed that

Edited by MarcelloF

Disappointing, but I never really had a problem with the demo, so it doesn't bother me much.

Disappointing, but I never really had a problem with the demo, so it doesn't bother me much.

Edited by frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually i didn't notice until someone said so... :P

Oh well, who cares i will take it for both consoles PS3 and 360! Then i will random choose which one to play and which one to look at!!! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 8

I think you should get it for PS3. I hate Microsoft's attitude in the Video-Game industry, but this is just my opinion... (I seriously HATE the Xbox, and ironically, I don't own a PS3... YET.) If it wasn't for SEGA the Xbox wouldn't even exist.

• Thumbs Up 3

You are new here. So I will give you rule number one in SSMB since the mods are very busy and nice people.

DO NOT START CONSOLE WARS!

Enjoy your time at SSMB. :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

But isn't Generations's lead platform PS3? :mellow:

People have assumed that because the first screens and gameplay footage released were of the PS3 version. Later we saw footage from the first press events for the game and SEGA had pods set up for PS3 and Xbox 360 and have done at every event since, so it's hard to say whether there even is a lead platform for this game or not. Doesn't really matter anyway :)

SEGA leads Sonic generation not consols...

Seriously... /jk

I ain't asking for much but I do hope that both version and the 3DS are gonna be fun and challenging.

Up to now we got nice pics of future stages, videos of 2 epic stages and demos available for most of us.

Now is certainly not the time to fight over what leads who and wich is better then the others.

I say unite in order to make this game as epic as ever!!

Way Past Cool~

I still don't see a Sonic game of all things working on multiple discs.

Wanna play Green Hill Zone? Gotta go back and insert Disc 1...

Besides, Mario Galaxy takes plenty of time to complete, depending on skill level, and that's only on one disc.

And hasn't the general philosophy of Sonic been about having a quick and fun run through several levels? Sonic Colors had only 6 zones, but was touted as the best game recent years.

Then we have the Adventure series, 2006 and Unleashed, which injected extra and unnecessary play-styles which artificially extended gameplay time, and were generally bashed for it. What is it that everyone wanted? To just jump in and play without the convolution and distractions.

Now all of a sudden we want multiple discs for a platformer? That just isn't Sonic! I'm sorry, but I don't understand the necessity for over 7 levels for the game to be more enjoyable than it already is.

Sonic 1 had 6 Zones with 3 acts each, Sonic 2 had about 10 zones with 2 acts each (on average), Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles each had 6 zones with 2 huge acts apiece (and you could even merge them together!) and it still takes an average player an hour to two hours to complete these games. Same with CD, too, lest I forget that. The Sonic Advance series had on average 7 levels with 2-3 acts each, and the Rush series was no different. Each of these games were completed in a short while, and completion time was one of the least heard complaints ever.

3D Sonic games expand on this and provide 9-10 levels with usually 1 large act and several mini missions to supplement them. If we only had those and no other distractions, it would take about 1 hour, 2 hours tops in one go.

The enjoyment of playing Sonic was going through the amazing and visually striking zones over and over again, having a blast each time. We never needed 20 full-blown zones to have a grand time. Why do we suddenly need it now?

Because it's Generations, I'm sure. Alright, then. I suppose that's the main call for multiple discs, right?

Remember, this isn't just an anniversary special, it's also another entry into the main series. It's going to be organized and executed as another entry into the mainstream line of Sonic titles. There's a story mode, mini hub worlds and boss battles. There will be plenty of content to go through.

Not everyone's favorite level is going to be in. This is something that needs no fuss over. If I can't have Ice Cap, then you can't have Red Mountain or Stardust Speedway.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

The short length of the Sonic games has always been a complaint, although it's one that's become more frequent as Adventure fans have become more defensive and as high prices become harder and harder to justify for 6-8 hour campaigns or even less, (looking at you, S4). Even I have to admit Colors' length was abysmal; I didn't buy it and I still felt underwhelmed that I blazed through the entire storyline in such a brief amount of time, and the rewards nor level design weren't enough to make me take advantage of the replayability which I hear isn't really pushing the game's length anyways. The classics simply worked around this problem with arcade-style difficulty and health systems; game overs and mandatory restarts were frequent and lengthened the time it took the average joe to beat the things.

Would I mind Sonic games that were longer? Absolutely not. Having large campaigns for a game wouldn't be something so sacrilegious; rather, I'd be more assured that I was getting more bang for my buck on principle alone. Also, my favorite titles happen to be the ones that invested the most in giving you tons of things to do. But they're never going to do that by utilizing multiple disks. Not only are there more viable options for creating length, (relying on difficulty, level design, DLC, etc.), but it's too much money wasted when they can simply keep giving us 8 areas and go to the bank every other holiday season. They have a financial strategy that works every time. The overwhelming majority of us are going to buy Generations and future Sonic games which ultimately trivializes the complaints we have with them, including length.

To save space for more levels, they should have just constructed 1 large act each for Modern and Classic. For missions, just use the same level geometry, but restrict certain parts of the level and open up others. Like in GHZ for Classic, that first bridge with the Choppers breaks on impact leading to a lower segment of the stage like Emerald Hill. It was always there, but but only Mission 3 "Find where the killer robotic fishes come from!" has the break away bridge. Like a less sloppy version of what Colors did.

To save space for more levels, they should have just constructed 1 large act each for Modern and Classic. For missions, just use the same level geometry, but restrict certain parts of the level and open up others. Like in GHZ for Classic, that first bridge with the Choppers breaks on impact leading to a lower segment of the stage like Emerald Hill. It was always there, but but only Mission 3 "Find where the killer robotic fishes come from!" has the break away bridge. Like a less sloppy version of what Colors did.

The problem is, if they make Sonic games as difficult or even more so than the Classics, that will just their reviews with Critics horrible. We'd pretty much end up hearing them saying, BAWWWWWWWWW, TEW HARD, SEGA.

I think what truly matters in a Sonic game is for it to have some extra missions and things to do after beating the game and good level design, which will bring about great replay value. And that's pretty much what SEGA's doing now with Sonic games, I suppose. Except Colors... It did have some okay level design, but as many have said, too short. Turning Super Sonic is what makes the game a bit more of a hassle, and people still didn't have much of a hard time with it.

That's my take on it anyway.

Edited by Tatsumaki

I was under the impression that the missions ARE using the same level geometry which is why there are "Missions" rather than new acts.

SEGA's updated the game's product page and it matches up with a lot of the leaked stuff, such as the co-op and rivals stuff. It looks like we'll be freeing the other characters and then get to have them tag along in those co-op missions the demo data listed.

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/sonic-generations/?t=EnglishUK&gseoid=sonic-generations

Sonic Generations™

The ultimate celebration of 20 Years of Sonic gaming, Sonic Generations delivers the definitive gaming experience for Sonic fans new and old.

Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power comes into force, creating ‘time holes’ which take Sonic and his friends back in time. Whilst there, Sonic runs into some very familiar characters from his past including a younger version of himself! Now they must team up to defeat their enemies, save their friends, and find out who is behind this diabolical deed.

Key Features

Twice the Fun

Play as both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in the ultimate Sonic experience. Master the moves of each character as they race through each environment on their own specially designed track.

The Best Bits Just Got Better

Iconic environments from gaming history come to life in beautiful HD for the ultimate Sonic adventure, each revisited, recreated and re-imagined with stunning results.

All New Experience

Play some of your gaming’s most iconic environments in a whole new way with famous Sonic stages presented in stunning new stereoscopic 3D.

Unlock New Adventures

Once you complete each level and ‘free’ Sonic’s captured friends, you’ll get to go back and take on more challenges with them at your side.

Infamous Bosses and Rivals

Take on some of the most notorious characters from Sonic’s past as you fight for ultimate supremacy.

Master Your Moves

Master Classic Sonics famous spin-dash attack and utilise Modern Sonic ‘s ‘Sonic Boost’ as you complete the all new tracks.

Additional Key Features for 3DS

All New Content

With new and exclusive environments for the Nintendo 3DS, including an un-lockable ‘special stage’. Each includes two tracks – one for Classic Sonic and one for Modern Sonic - designed to showcase each Sonics’ unique features.

2 Player Versus mode

Take on your friends and earn valuable status points.

Street Pass

Collect new content and unlock bonus material, increasing variety, interaction and replayability.

• Thumbs Up 5

Whilst there, Sonic runs into some very familiar characters from his past including a younger version of himself!

lol Shadzter you always do this.

"Thats some nice arbitrary argument you've got going on in this thread. NOW HERE'S SOME NEWS!!!"

Keep up the good work.

I'm laughing at this rival "supremacy."

At the Rivals convention

Shadow: "I'm so much better than Sonic! I've got Chaos Powers!"

Metal Sonic: "I have 4x his acceleration! I'm better"

Silver: "I got a cheap shot on Sonic, and he jobbed to me in 06! I'm better!"

*Sonic kicks all their asses in Generations*

Sonic: "Hey guys! Whats up!"

Rivals:....nothing.....

Edited by thatguyfrom03

It seems levels/stages/zones are now called 'tracks'. Sonic is now officially a race car.

lol Shadzter you always do this.

"Thats some nice arbitrary argument you've got going on in this thread. NOW HERE'S SOME NEWS!!!"

Keep up the good work.