Awoo.

Sonic Generations : General Hacking Thread

azoo

The problem is that the 360 uses dual layer DVDs which limits Sonic team to a maximum size of 8.5 gb :(

Imagine if this was a PS3 exclusive,and Sonic Team would make a game 25 gb in size,that would be awesome B)

Sorry 360 owners,but it's true :P

Just use 2-3 disks for 360... DONE.

Just use 2-3 disks for 360... DONE.

That could work too.I forgot how Square handled FFXIII.

Edited by pppp

Completely missed the point...but its all good. People forget they are developing for TWO systems...not 1. If it was a PS3 exclusive I'd expect a lot more though.....allllooootttt more.

I do know that, I was just pointing that out. It's possible that the 360 version could had got 3 discs, but of course that's a bad idea.

The problem is that the 360 uses dual layer DVDs which limits Sonic team to a maximum size of 8.5 gb :(

Imagine if this was a PS3 exclusive,and Sonic Team would make a game 25 gb in size,that would be awesome B)

Sorry 360 owners,but it's true :P

Actually, Blu-Ray discs can hold 50GB if dual layer ones are used. Dual layer DVD's actually hold 9GB and Microsoft's now got 10GB dual layer DVD's for Xbox 360 games.

Why argue about disc sizes anyway?

No Sonic Game will have more than the standards.

Edited by Death the Kid

Wait, hang on.

Are people actually suggesting that a Sonic game have it's content spread across multiple discs?

Seriously?

The only times that has ever happened was for certain PC games, and even then you played the game on one disc.

Did any of you factor how expensive it would be to make 2 discs full of the exact same content?

Wow, guys. Just... wow.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wait, hang on.

Are people actually suggesting that a Sonic game have it's content spread across multiple discs?

Seriously?

The only times that has ever happened was for certain PC games, and even then you played the game on one disc.

Did any of you factor how expensive it would be to make 2 discs full of the exact same content?

Wow, guys. Just... wow.

It's not expensive at all... not more than a blu-ray disk...

Blu-rays ARE expensive.

If I remember right.. 2~4 times than normal 9GB CDs.

Wait, hang on.

Seriously?

Wow, guys. Just... wow.

Didn't Square do that with FF7,8 & 9 & 13? Why can't Sega do the same? This way the game would actually be long.

Edited by pppp

Didn't Square do that with FF7,8 & 9 & 13? Why can't Sega do the same? This way the game would actually be long.

Right.

Because Sonic is an RPG.

And definitely not a platformer.

And because the Genesis games took 200 hours to complete.

Yep.

Makes sense to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Right.

Because Sonic is an RPG.

Yep.

Makes sense to me.

Isn't one of the main complaints about Unleashed and Colors that they're too short? I once started a new game on Unleashed and sped through it in a day.

Right.

Because Sonic is an RPG.

Yep.

Makes sense to me.

Okay. Another game that took two disks? Mass Effect 2(on the 360). Takes 20 hours if you are dilligent and that doesn't even include the DLC. But that is a RPG,right?

I think the point here is that it allows more stages, whether or not if they are optional, and a more comprehensive example of a game that represents a franchise that has been around for 20 years. 9 stages or a reasonable, but expansive 15? I am pretty sure that even the Xbox can manage that without needing an extra disk.

Isn't one of the main complaints about Unleashed and Colors that they're too short? I once started a new game on Unleashed and sped through it in a day.

But multiple discs for a sonic game makes as much sence as playing soccer with 2 or 3 soccer balls at the same time.

The fact is, IT'S SONIC!! putting it on multiple discs is stupid.

Most likely sega will just compress the data more so it will fit on a dvd.

And remember, generations will be switching out the werehogs exploratory levels, for side scrooling, and "almost" straight levels, that should save some space.

Okay. Another game that took two disks? Mass Effect 2(on the 360). Takes 20 hours if you are dilligent and that doesn't even include the DLC. But that is a RPG,right?

I think the point here is that it allows more stages, whether or not if they are optional, and a more comprehensive example of a game that represents a franchise that has been around for 20 years. 9 stages or a reasonable, but expansive 15? I am pretty sure that even the Xbox can manage that without needing an extra disk.

Not to mention, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and L.A. Noire. The latter was on three discs.

I don't expect Sega to put in as much work and man power to have a multi-disc release though, especially not in this case where it had to be carefully constructed and timed to coincide with Sonic's 20th Anniversary.

Not to mention, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and L.A. Noire. The latter was on three discs.

I don't expect Sega to put in as much work and man power to have a multi-disc release though, especially not in this case where it had to be carefully constructed and timed to coincide with Sonic's 20th Anniversary.

I don't expect them to because I hear making video games is pretty much the equivalent of working in sweatshops these days(That was a dig on Rockstar by the way). I would like a bit more than 9 stages, but I can manage. I am excited to have a good game without the needless bullshit on HD consoles for once.

Alright enough disk space talk.

So the elemental shields look awsome, but their probably only for classic sonic huh.

Wait, hang on.

Seriously?

Wow, guys. Just... wow.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Alright enough disk space talk.

So the elemental shields look awsome, but their probably only for classic sonic huh.

Right.

Because Sonic is an RPG.

Yep.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Schismatist

When you think about though, would modern Sonic really need a shield? He is already a high-powered version of classic Sonic on steroids. If you give modern sonic a shield, it's just like putting the game on an easy setting

Edited by Eternlo

Bringing the shield back like that was an amazing idea and they look great from that video! I don't see any use of them for Modern Sonic, though. He already boosts through every level and destroys anything in his path like a madman now, there's really no use for it, in my opinion. You'd be done with the level before you'd find a way to use any of them.

Indy, I will admit that is a bit closeminded. What keeps a platformer from doing what many other games have done? RPGs aren't the only thing that does this. Really, don't be surprised and completely block out any possibilities because you never know what Sega will do, especially for his 20th anniversary. Nothing is necessarily out of the question for this game until we see the finalized version for ourselves.

On topic, glad to see you back, elemental shields! It's been too long.

I also heard that the 360 demo trumps the PS3 demo in every way, due to just looking plain better, having a better framerate and little to no input lag compared to the PS3 version. Not surprised, considering it seems all Sonic games ported to the PS3 suffer in some kind of way. =P

Edited by Azukara

I also heard that the 360 demo trumps the PS3 demo in every way, due to just looking plain better, having a better framerate and little to no input lag compared to the PS3 version. Not surprised, considering it seems all Sonic games ported to the PS3 suffer in some kind of way. =P

Edited by turbojet