Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

You're lucky dude

Last week when I went to Gamestop, they had a Wii-U demo station there. I wanted to try it out, but this other person took forever at it. He wasn't even playing it, just watching the dang promotional video they showed when it was in standby mode.

Oh well, at least I know it's there next time I go.

I'm going to GameStop on Sunday to get Sticker Star, I wonder if I can get to use the kiosk, or if someone will be hogging it.

I want to see it with the disc and manual removed, just so we can tell how much plastic has been sliced away. It looks nice though. I love the shade of blue the chose.

Edited by Blue Blood

I dunno. It looks like the standard eco-weenie case, with the recycle symbol cut out of the left side. It doesn't look like they've gone so far as to get rid of most of the plastic and make the plastic that is there paper thin, so it's already better than the 360 cases.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't mean to drag up the F-Zero talk again but Miyamoto hates GX, even if they did make another F-Zero game it probably won't live up to that title anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate GX too. Particularly Story Mode.

However if there is one thing I liked, it's that you could customize your own vehicle and make your own decals.

Not played F-Zero outside of the GBA title given away in the 3DS Ambassador programme, but I hope they bring out a new game for the fans. I really want a Star Fox game.

Don't mean to drag up the F-Zero talk again but Miyamoto hates GX, even if they did make another F-Zero game it probably won't live up to that title anyway.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

I got to try the Wii U at my local GameStop and I was quite surprised by the feel of the controller in my hands. I honestly thought it would be too heavy or too light but it felt just right. The layout of the controller was easy to use and the touchscreen worked well without feeling like it would break under the pressure. The Rayman Legends demo took advantage of the system's capabilities fairly well for a small portion of the full game. It seems that I have some optimism restored for Nintendo but I am going to have to wait and see how well the system sells before making guesses on future developments for it.

Edited by Cobalt_Bolt

The 3DS had a day one update too, didn't it? Not as large but, this is what Nintendo does.

Not just Nintendo. It's common practice when the software isn't done yet (or hasn't cleared QA in time) but the hardware needs to start being manufactured to meet the launch deadline. And there must be quite a big margin between those due to logistics.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with day 1 updates really, especially in regards to brand new hardware. It just means that the features weren't ready at time of production. With games, it's a bit more bothersome but I still don't see any problems with it.

Only time I have a problem with Day 1 updates are when they're "extra" features that are obviously already included with it and you're just paying to unlock them. If it means getting stuff that is promised on launch rather than not getting it, good on Nintendo for making it known that it would have to be updated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only time I have a problem with Day 1 updates are when they're "extra" features that are obviously already included with it and you're just paying to unlock them. If it means getting stuff that is promised on launch rather than not getting it, good on Nintendo for making it known that it would have to be updated.

Do you mean things like day 1 DLC? As in, stuff you pay for or get as a pre-order incentive. There's nothing to that except ringing the buyer out of money. Simple updates and fixes are fine.

It happens on hardware too. Not gaming hardware, luckily enough (well, not unless you're extremely cynical), but it's not a shocking thing for people to buy multimedia hardware and then have features basically held hostage until you pony up some extra dough (because of the rise of App-based service distribution). A lot of design decisions for Windows 8-based devices were built around that model, for example.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really like this Plaza menu thing. It seems so lively, and if you dont want to zoom around in that plaza, you can simply tap the menu icons on the Touchscreen. It's great.

WaraWara Plaza doesn't roll off the tongue as well with me. Still gonna call it Miiverse.

Pics of the menu from Giantbomb

wkyqU.jpg

gxWs7.jpg

c0qUZ.jpg

zBCpe.jpg

fDxBH.jpg

I like it.

I hope Nintendo Europe give the plaza a better name than WaraWara Plaza. I absolutely hate that name. As for the menu, I like it.

WaraWara Plaza doesn't roll off the tongue as well with me. Still gonna call it Miiverse.

The guy in the video still called everything Miiverse as a whole. It's just the plaza that's called WaraWara Plaza.

"Wara Plaza" is much easier than "Wara Wara Plaza", but in general 'wara' is a bit off to say.