Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

the achivement thing

Are they absolutely crazy not to include it?

Random person: BAH ACHIVMENTS MEAN NOTHING.

Oh come off it. No they mean nothing. But christ they're popular. Theres a reason why Sony made them madatory and demand from it's customers whilst being a big reason wasn't the main one. It suffered in sales when it came to multiformat releases.

Random person: Ah but there were more Xbox owners by a large margin before trophies were mandatory.

Thats true Cid thats true. But you can tell it's suffered from an unsual place too. The second hand market on the high street. If you check out the Xbox section to PS3, what you'll discover is that it's very difficult to find games for the PS3 that don't have trophies which are on the Xbox 360 that do, one example I can think of would be Lost. Not a great game, not particually well done. But trying to find a PS3 copy of that is difficult, theres a similar pattern with a number of FPS games and a few other lesser known titles that got released at that.

And then lets not all forget about how Unreal Tournament 3 got a sudden boost in sales after they gave it a trophy patch nearly 6 months after trophies became mandatory, and this game was one of the first games to come out on the PS3... .. ... Poor Valkyria Chronicles.

Also, just ask developers themselves. Naughty Dog have said they now think carefully about how they put trophies in their games as it can affect how people play the game. Gearbox have said trophies/achivements increase sales and Rockstar have also said similar things.

In fact, if you check out stores that have second hand PS3 games which don't have trophies and compare them to ones of a similar quality which do, you'll notice a distinct price difference.

I'm still keeping my order in. I'm only paying £260 for the Premium console with Nintendo Land, and will be getting NSMBU and ASRT as birthday presents. So it's not too much relatively. But if I was buying everything myself it'd be too much.

What with the console I'm buying being shared I'm also getting Scribblenauts Unlimited and Assassin's Creed 3 for my girlfriend to go along with it, which is part of the reason I really want it this season. Christmas should prove to be really fun this year.

Wondering if I should save my money for Christmas and hold off on buying the Wii U until more games are out. Was thinking about what game(s) to get at launch and realised there aren't really any games I want from the launch selection :-/

I did the same thing. Would love one but I can still play catch-up with a lot of great games until the Wii U gets more that are up my alley.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trophies

This is reminding me of the time you said Hannah Montanna PS3 sold a majority of its copies because of the trophies. But it had nothing to do with the casual audience or license being used.

I still remember that PM too :(

But yes, cancelling your preorders means people on that 250k+ waiting list will instantly get called.

It's still readily available in the UK, it's the US that's having problems, you can easily find the Wii U at GAME, Amazon, Zavvi, etc

So yeah, Assassin's Creed 3 released early and I got it in the mail today. (One picture includes cat butt)

post-44-0-08907200-1352844617_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-99124000-1352844627_thumb.jpg

Standard "Eco-weenie" case we've been getting for years, though I dig the blue color. Game supports uPlay like all the other versions, has the ability to play game only on the Game Pad or move the entire HUD to the GamePad when playing the game on the TV. Nintendo Network for Online Play. Manual is paper thin as per usual, there is a digital manual you can access from the system menu.

post-44-0-87472700-1352844801_thumb.jpg

Edited by King Of Awesome
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if we'll bet getting those cases over here. We still have completely solid Wii cases last I checked, but the 3DS ones are more eco-friendly with holes everywhere.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm still keeping my pre-order. I've been really looking forward to it. I'm interested in Nintendo Land, I'm sure NSMBU will be fun, and then a few other games here and there will tide me over until Rayman Legends knocks my socks off.

That, and I seem to be one of the relatively few people around here that really wants Pikmin 3.

I so want Pikmin 3, I was pretty upset when I learned it wouldn't be ready for launch day.

Same here, I was really disappointed. But I comforted myself by saying "Well, at least I'll still have Rayman Legends!"

... sad.png

Edited by Gregzilla

Same here, I was really disappointed. But I comforted myself by saying "Well, at least I'll still have Rayman Legends!"

... sad.png

Oh well, I guess the last consolation is that we're finally getting an original NSMB that'll be out for launch.

... sad.png

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm good with NSMB U and some multiplat titles, though. The only system that is constantly in my room is the Wii, the Wii U will be the same. I forgot to mention that the Wii U optical discs look very much like Blu Ray ones, they even have a similar, or the same, anti-scratch material.

AS I said in the Little Inferno thread, LI by the creators of World of Goo will be available on launch.

AS I said in the Little Inferno thread, LI by the creators of World of Goo will be available on launch.

And this is the part where you feel bad about cancelling your pre order.

http://kotaku.com/59...dium=socialflow

Nintendo (Finally) Explains How The Wii U’s Online Will Work

avt-small.jpg Jason Schreier

Phew, they made it. The Wii U comes out in five days, and now we finally know how its Internet functionality will work. Here's Nintendo's Bill Trinen talking about the Nintendo Network, user IDs, the eShop, and more.

There's also a lot of info on Miiverse, the system's web browser, and even some footage from New Super Mario Bros. U. About time, Nintendo!

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what I understand, your Mii and Mii Name represent you, while your e-mail address becomes your Nintendo ID. Gonna name my Mii Conando, then.

I'm happy more games are coming later. This way, I don't feel so bad about not being able to afford one right now.

Hope Pikmin and Rayman are ready for the summer, which is when I'll likely have a Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499761

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.

- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings

- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.

- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.

- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.

- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.

- One USB drive at a time only.

- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.

- You can use general drives.

- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.

- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.

- No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)

- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives

- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.

- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.

- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.

- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode

- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."

- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only

- Point service

- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service

- After logging in, you can see the points you have earned

- Buy with download card or download number

- Earn 10% back on purchases

- Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments

- Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop