Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Surprised they didn't show anything of ZombiU for the hardcore crowd. They only showed New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Lego City (whatever it's called), and that singing game. No third party games at all.

Isn't Lego City Undercover a Third Party game? oô

Regardless, I dont get why they chose this game instead of Zombi U or Rayman. Maybe because Rayman isn't coming out until 2013, but there's no excuse for not showing Zombi U in that commercial.

I assume they didn't choose Rayman for that very reason. It's possible we'll see Zombi U in something in the next few weeks.

Isn't Lego City Undercover a Third Party game? oô

Regardless, I dont get why they chose this game instead of Zombi U or Rayman. Maybe because Rayman isn't coming out until 2013, but there's no excuse for not showing Zombi U in that commercial.

No, Nintendo is publishing Lego City Undercover.

It's still a third-party developed game.

I know that. I just meant it's one of Nintendo's games, not a third party published game.

Miyamoto on F-Zero and Link's origin

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=498292

Gamekult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.

I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendoland's FZero minigame.

I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.

Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

Edit: - Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?

Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).

Oh the replies to this are gonna be delightful

Edited by Nintendoga

Since I'm lazy, I'll just copypaste:

Bullshit, Mario Kart has barely changed at all and people eat that shit right up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bullshit, Mario Kart has barely changed at all and people eat that shit right up.

Also, New Super Mario Bros. is bound to come up. Still, what a headache-inducing answer.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/11/01/wii-u-web-browser-scores-highly-on-html-5-test/

The forthcoming web browser for Wii U has scored highly on HTML 5 Test. The browser was ranked amongst all the other web browsers for video game devices, apart from the PlayStation 3. Out of all the web browsers researched the Wii U web browser scored 323, while its closest competitor was the PlayStation Vita beta browser which scored 243. Microsoft’s recently release Internet Explorer for Xbox 360 only managed to score 120. You can see the results here.

To be fair, that is Mario we're talking about here. If there's one thing he's always had over the F-Zero series, it's mainstream appeal.

• Thumbs Up 4

The more games a series has, the more I want to see it evolve. For instance, since we've gotten a crap ton of Mario platformers lately, I want to see them try some fresh new things with that franchise.

When it comes to stuff like F-Zero, Star Fox, or Smash Bros., those series have much less games, and the wait between installments is nowhere near as short. In that case, I don't need them to reinvent the wheel.

All I want from a new F-Zero is more tracks, characters, and challenges, with online multiplayer. If they can think of something radically new to add, great, but I'm okay with just an improved version of GX.

All I want from a new F-Zero is more tracks, characters, and challenges, with online multiplayer. If they can think of something radically new to add, great, but I'm okay with just an improved version of GX.

How about a return of the mapmaker mode from F-Zero X that was in the Japan-only N64DD Version that nobody played? Also, I haven't played F-Zero X yet, but I remember hearing that game had a randomized track creator, including that again would be pretty cool too, since I like my games randomized for extra replayability. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, a track maker would be a great addition, especially with the Wii U GamePad. It'd be great to use touch-based controls to design tracks, maybe placing obstacles as well.

I think the GamePad can be used for more customization features in lots of games, including F-Zero. Stuff like giving vehicles custom paint-jobs would be great with the touch screen.

Accusing Mario Kart of never changing only makes sense if you're refusing to acknowledge the unique gameplay elements that the more recent games have played around with, like two person carts, online play, bikes, and the air and underwater sections. The exact quality of each of those features is debatable, but saying that they don't try new things with those games is just a dickish lie.

Having said that, it occurs to me that online play should be at the top of the list of things to add into F-Zero. The track editor idea is also really good, and while we're at it, why not throw in customizable racing machines. And of course making it HD would be a good idea, since the Wii U can do that. I mean, Hell, I'd think online play would be a good enough reason on its own.

Edited by G-Force

Online play and Bikes are Unique? What?

I'm talking about Gameplay elements. Being able to fly and drive underwater made about as much of a difference to the gameplay as making Samus' Varia Suit her default suit.

I've never played Double Dash, and frankly I don't give enough of a shit to try it out. The point is that he's making a stupid assumption when he says "We stopped making them because we figured people were tired of the barely evolved gameplay".

Bikes are just the karts with slight handling modifications (ones that break the game). Online play is the exact same game, but online. Two player karts pretty much didn't do anything but allow you to stack items and have a pretext to hate whoever you were playing with.

Other than fiddling with the item drops (for the worse), item function (for the worse), drift mechanics from game to game (for the worse) adding more racers (for the worse) and adding character stats (which are basically irrelevant), the games have all been structured and designed pretty much identically since 64. They even are made up halfway of shit directly recycled from old games. And 40 Zelda games later, Miyamoto is the last one to claim that people don't want a game because it is the same as the one before it.

Edited by Tornado

Bikes are just the karts with slight handling modifications (ones that break the game). Online play is the exact same game, but online. Two player karts pretty much didn't do anything but allow you to stack items and have a pretext to hate whoever you were playing with.

Other than fiddling with the item drops (for the worse), item function (for the worse), drift mechanics from game to game (for the worse) adding more racers (for the worse) and adding character stats (which are basically irrelevant), the games have all been structured and designed pretty much identically since 64. They even are made up halfway of shit directly recycled from old games. And 40 Zelda games later, Miyamoto is the last one to claim that people don't want a game because it is the same as the one before it.

If I wasnt on my iPod...

I guess I can't get in detail.

1. Mario kart has to still be a racer based around power ups, that's the basic gameplay element that doesn't change, and that is a common thing among sequels.

2. adding bikes still changed up the strategy of the race, along with the team based gameplay of double dash changing up the strategy, etc, and those are major from the multiplayer competitive angle.

3. That comment on Zelda is the furthest from the truth. There are certain elements which are series staples, but that doesn't mean the gameplay does not evolve between each title. But again, I'm on an iPod.

1. Mario kart has to still be a racer based around power ups, that's the basic gameplay element that doesn't change, and that is a common thing among sequels.

You mean like how an F-Zero title still has to be a racer based around extreme speed in futuristic environments?

2. adding bikes still changed up the strategy of the race, along with the team based gameplay of double dash changing up the strategy, etc, and those are major from the multiplayer competitive angle.

Bikes sure did change strategy. Because you either used bikes, or you lost.

Also note how Miyamoto said "evolution," and those things are no longer around.

3. That comment on Zelda is the furthest from the truth. There are certain elements which are series staples, but that doesn't mean the gameplay does not evolve between each title.

I've played every one but the second DS title (because fuck you touch screen controls) and Skyward Sword (which I have played, but only for an hour or two), so I know exactly what's what in that regard. If Miyamoto is claiming that people wouldn't want an F-Zero game because they are all basically the same, then that logic sure as shit applies to his Zelda titles.

Edited by Tornado

I've played every one but the second DS title (because fuck you touch screen controls) and Skyward Sword (which I have played, but only for an hour or two), so I know exactly what's what in that regard. If Miyamoto is claiming that people wouldn't want an F-Zero game because they are all basically the same, then that logic sure as shit applies to his Zelda titles.

Agh, fuck this iPod.

Ok first, I do agree that Miyamoto's statement is bullshit, and I'm In no way supporting it.

However, that comment about Zelda is still the furthest from the truth, because if you believe that, you're only scratching the surface of a much deeper experience and evolution, and I'd argue that some more, but fuck this iPod.

The only point I was trying to make is that Mario Kart games do actually change things around. The shit changes, regardless of whether or not anyone actually gives a fuck. I was just trying to give credit where it's due.

Also, when you consider the fact that online play is one of the biggest things people bitch about not having in Nintendo games, seeing someone brush off online play like it's meaningless is completely ridiculous.

Lastly, for the record, I never said Miyamoto was right. I wasn't disagreeing with anyone here. In fact, I don't see why anyone would think I did, when I specifically listed a bunch of things they could add to a new F-Zero.

• Thumbs Up 1

I played the Wii U at GameStop today. It was fucking magical. I NEED this thing in my house right now. I also got a size comparison of the console

iH0we.jpg

JESUS DICK, it's SMALL AS FUCK THIS IS GOOD

Also here's basically what went down there:

Ok, I was just at GameStop while my mom went to buy some groceries. I wanted to try the Wii U. As soon as I walked in, I saw this HUGE line going from the counter to the door. And at that moment, I thought one thing: "Oh no. It's Halo 4 launch day."

So I'm just casually trying out the Wii U and Rayman Legends and texting my brother the Wii U pictures while having a nervous breakdown on the inside wondering how to slip out without being noticed. So, when my mom came to knock on the window, I just darted out and probably knocked over a standee in the process.

Nailed it.

• Thumbs Up 4