Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

They really needed, and really need, to be able to show off a diverse software line-up that's immediately visually original.  Given the several-year turnaround on most Nintendo games, though, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Look at the big-name upcoming games - they're all iterative sequels.  Yarn Yoshi is a blatant attempt to coast on the success of Kirby's Epic Yarn.  Mario Kart 8 adds one gimmick and HD graphics.  Super Smash Bros. isn't even risking its own title.  (We're still getting stuff like this on the 3DS - just look at A Link Between Worlds and Yoshi's New Island.  Safe.  Familiar.  Boring.)  Then there are the arbitrary crossover games where Nintendo's leaning on other companies because they don't have the resources to develop many HD games themselves - Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors.  Not one original idea, just recent successes cut up and glued back together in different combinations.

So basically what you're saying is that Nintendo needs new IPs, to either go alongside their main franchises or be the center of attention for the console for some period of time.

Nintendo's leveraging Mario so much because he's probably the single one of their icons who absolutely everyone recognises and sees as a seal of quality.  In Nintendo's mind, making sure people associate Mario with their consoles is an important factor in establishing a reputation for that console as reliable and fun.  And they're right.  The problem is that the market is approaching Mario saturation point, while at the same time, Nintendo isn't providing much in the way of other franchises to increase the diversity of the Wii U's console library.

It gets worse, because in aiming for this kind of consistency in their Mario output, Nintendo is actually undermining the brand's appeal by giving to the casual consumer - and indeed, the hardcore consumer who doesn't have quite such affection for Mario - the impression that exactly the same games are being churned out over and over again.  Why buy NSMB U when you've still got NSMB Wii in the closet?  Why buy 3D World when it looks the same as the last few 3D Marios?  You have to look quite hard to see the new content, and the average consumer will have just switched off at first impressions.  There is a distinct lack of risk-taking in Nintendo's recent software output.  Ironically, it's because they think the difference of the Wii U scares people off, so how do you combat that, by providing safe and familiar experiences to convince people that it's still good ol' Nintendo.  Problem is that most people have played good ol' Nintendo already and they aren't so wowed by a similar-looking experience.  People like difference mixed up in their familiarity.  (The problem is only compounded with Nintendo putting out remakes as stopgap titles - Ocarina 3DS, Wind Waker HD.  Sure, they're very good remakes, but they're also decade-old games.  Old classics are nothing without new classics to complement them.)

They really needed, and really need, to be able to show off a diverse software line-up that's immediately visually original.  Given the several-year turnaround on most Nintendo games, though, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Look at the big-name upcoming games - they're all iterative sequels.  Yarn Yoshi is a blatant attempt to coast on the success of Kirby's Epic Yarn.  Mario Kart 8 adds one gimmick and HD graphics.  Super Smash Bros. isn't even risking its own title.  (We're still getting stuff like this on the 3DS - just look at A Link Between Worlds and Yoshi's New Island.  Safe.  Familiar.  Boring.)  Then there are the arbitrary crossover games where Nintendo's leaning on other companies because they don't have the resources to develop many HD games themselves - Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors.  Not one original idea, just recent successes cut up and glued back together in different combinations.

When was changing the entire formula of the modern Zelda games "safe"? And what's wrong with crossovers?

Thank you for the advice man, really made feel a bit better. I'm going to contact the seller in a few days and tell him that I don't want the Wii U if I win (between never using E-bay before and finding out about a better deal at GameStop...I feel better just buying the system with money in my hand rather than hoping that the seller doesn't rob me of my money).

Ether way, I really appreciate your help on this Wreck it Ralph :).

Oh, you'll get into trouble for that. They'll send a non-paying buyer alert which will show up on your profile.

Oh, you'll get into trouble for that. They'll send a non-paying buyer alert which will show up on your profile.

Well I just got out-bidded, so I dodged a bullet there happy.png! Thanks for giving me the heads up though :).

Say guys, has Nintendo put their plans to raise the Wii U's sales they announced earlier this year into motion yet? Just curious.

Say guys, has Nintendo put their plans to raise the Wii U's sales they announced earlier this year into motion yet? Just curious.

Well, DKC: TF came out a few weeks ago...so maybe the plan is in place? I think they are waiting till Mario Kart 8 launches before they do ANYTHING to better the systems sales; a 200$ bundle with that would make systems sell like hotcakes to people :).

Some fun stuff from Retro studios:

http://gamerant.com/wii-u-powerhouse-retro-studios/

Wii U a ‘Powerhouse’ Claims ‘Donkey Kong’ Developer
Mar 3, 2014 by Chris Powell
check-big.png
check-big.png10

Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-3D-Review.jp

It’s common knowledge Nintendo’s Wii U isn’t exactly the most powerful console currently available to consumers these days. Depending on who you talk to, that title belongs to Sony’s PlayStation 4 or Microsoft’s Xbox One – both of which boast far more horsepower than the Big N’s current hardware.

While you might not catch Nintendo outright admitting its console is the weakest of the next-generation bunch, some of its executives haven’t shied away from the claim. Case in point, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime previously reminded us that the most powerful console didn’t win the previous two hardware cycles, with the Wii and PS2 reigning supreme against their more powerful adversaries.

However, according to Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh, whose company recently released Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (check out Game Rant‘s review of Tropical Freeze to find out how awesome we thought it was), the Wii U is “powerhouse” in its own right and is a very capable machine. This statement came forth in a recent interview between Kelbaugh and GameSpot, and it reconfirms the faith that Nintendo’s subsidiaries hold in the struggling platform.

“Unfortunately, the perception is that it’s not a very powerful machine. That’s just not true. It’s a powerhouse. It’s more than adequate to make great games on.”

Retro Studios’ previous console title was Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii after developing a the complete Metroid Prime trilogy that surfaced on both the Nintendo GameCube and Wii. Getting to finally develop for Nintendo’s next-generation hardware was a welcomed opportunity, Kelbaugh said.

“It was really fun being able to crack that open for the first time and learning HD techniques; pixel shading, having a lot more horsepower and how that impacts the team. It was really fun to watch our artists just go crazy because now they didn’t really have to worry about polygons anymore.”

wii-u-a-powerhouse-says-donkey-kong-deve

As happy as Kelbaugh is about the Wii U’s power, not all developers feel the same. An anonymous third-party developer recently told Eurogamer his company had to make concessions due to the Wii U’s underpowered central processing unit.

“As we originally feared, trying to support a detailed game running in HD put a lot of strain on the CPUs and we couldn’t do as much as we would have liked,” the developer wrote. “Cutting back on some of the features was an easy thing to do, but impacted the game as a whole.”

He did say, however, the Wii U’s Latte graphics processing unit was more than capable when compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 but is still “leagues away from the graphics hardware in the PS4 or Xbox One.”

While some people might be turned off by the weaker power of the Wii U, looking at some of its recent titles like Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World, it’s hard to imagine that a higher polygon count would have made either game any better. Nintendo has made its mark on the video game industry through fun, imaginative titles that challenge gamers to play in new ways, not by being the most powerful console on the market.

And in a time when conversation surrounding many PS4 and Xbox One titles inevitably devolves into an arguments over pixel count and frame rate, it might not necessarily be a bad thing the Wii U isn’t pushing graphical boundaries. At least, then Nintendo can focus on what it does best – making incredibly fun games that still look great in their own right.

___

Sources: GameSpot, Eurogamer

• Thumbs Up 3

That awkward moment when Free Fall DLC gets added to COD:Ghosts Wii U.

That awkward moment when Free Fall DLC gets added to COD:Ghosts Wii U.

Woah, seriously? I think the reason BO2 didn't get any was that Activision didn't know that the eShop could do DLC though...

Woah, seriously? I think the reason BO2 didn't get any was that Activision didn't know that the eShop could do DLC though...

Actualy the general excuse is that the Nintendo demographic 'Doesnt do DLC'

After just reading the SSB4 thread about Pokemon music I just thought of a great game they should make for the Wii U that uses the gamepads functionality!

Pokemon Snap U!

The controls can work like on many Nintendoland games, you use the right stick to turn and aim more precisely with the gamepad. The gamepad would show the view from the camera while the TV would show the view from third person or whatever, so you have to keep an eye on the main screen while taking a photo so you don't miss anything. And of course the obligatory post photos to miiverse integration

Just an idea

So basically what you're saying is that Nintendo needs new IPs, to either go alongside their main franchises or be the center of attention for the console for some period of time.

Not necessarily new, though it wouldn't hurt; I mean ones that they don't call on all the time or haven't exploited quite so recently.  I just think there's a fatal lack of diversity in their output at present; I can't really criticise anyone who calls Nintendo's output "samey," at least in general terms.

When was changing the entire formula of the modern Zelda games "safe"? And what's wrong with crossovers?

1. When they glue it onto a Link To The Past remake.  What would the painting mechanic and item renting have been like in a wholly original game?  I guess we'll never know (for the former, at least).  It was very good as a riff on ALttP, but it was very clearly a riff on ALttP rather than a wholly new game.

2. Nothing in and of themselves, but they're symptomatic of the same trend of sameyness.

In fact, let me be clear here.  Whatever Nintendo makes will pretty consistently be of very high quality; I can't think of any first- or second-party Wii U games which haven't been widely praised.  But I don't think they've always exercised their better judgement in terms of what games they should be making.  Or how to brand those games as something fresh and original rather than as "more of the same, but prettier."

Ah well.  I think they've probably learnt their lesson this time, even if it might take a year or two or three to show.  They've got money in the bank, and plenty of time to pick themselves up, brush themselves off, and change tactics.  The Wii U's going to be hard pressed to effect a turnaround as anything except a good second system, and only once it's actually built up a solid library, which won't be soon.  But they can coast on it for a while, and anyone who owns a Wii U can probably be content that, when they do get a game, it's likely to be a pretty decent one.  Could be worse.

After just reading the SSB4 thread about Pokemon music I just thought of a great game they should make for the Wii U that uses the gamepads functionality!

Pokemon Snap U!

The controls can work like on many Nintendoland games, you use the right stick to turn and aim more precisely with the gamepad. The gamepad would show the view from the camera while the TV would show the view from third person or whatever, so you have to keep an eye on the main screen while taking a photo so you don't miss anything. And of course the obligatory post photos to miiverse integration

Just an idea

This was the game everyone wanted two years ago, lol. I'm actually kind of surprised they never did it.

More good advertising from Nintendo. Saw this this afternoon in the window of one of the McDonald's in the Merry Hill shopping centre, Dudley.

X9NzsfE.jpg

Funny because there's a GAME store just a few doors away. Don't know if they're doing this at other McDonald's, too.

Nintendo X McDonalds;

Breeding more obesity than Mountain Dew/Doritos and Xbox.

• Thumbs Up 3

This was the game everyone wanted two years ago, lol. I'm actually kind of surprised they never did it.

I think the original director of Snap mentioned he doesn't see the point, because the whole photography thing isn't exactly novel anymore. To be fair, he's kinda right, when you have smartphones and so many other devices with cameras, the novelty has kinda worn off a long time ago, but Snap was more than just taking random pictures.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition Announced

Developer DrinkBox is bringing a new digital version of Guacamelee to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition is "coming soon." Similar to the Gold Edition on PC, it bundles all previous DLC into one game and expands the original story with new levels and boss battles. Playable characters will also receive new abilities in the updated version of the awesome 2D action/platformer. You can check out some of the new skills in the announcement trailer below.

Look for more on Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition on IGN closer to its launch.

Awesome. I thought this was a Sony exclusive, but I guess not. I'll probably get it on Wii U. A map on the Gamepad screen.

Also, a fan (I think) skin for the game:

I think the original director of Snap mentioned he doesn't see the point, because the whole photography thing isn't exactly novel anymore. To be fair, he's kinda right, when you have smartphones and so many other devices with cameras, the novelty has kinda worn off a long time ago, but Snap was more than just taking random pictures.

Yeah, the fun came from coming up with ways to have the Pokemon pose differently or evolve or let other Pokemon appear. If it had just been driving around a field taking pictures of them, I doubt it would be as liked.

• Thumbs Up 1

I must have missed this news. Seems it was announced last month that Mario toys are soon going to be in McDonald's Happy Meals in the UK.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/super_mario_hopping_into_mcdonalds_happy_meals_in_the_uk

This Mario fun day must be to celebrate the launch of those, so I expect they'll be holding them at other restaurants, too.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition Announced

Awesome. I thought this was a Sony exclusive, but I guess not. I'll probably get it on Wii U.

Cool, I was going to buy it but now I think I might just wait for this, cool that they're doing an expansion on it and this time putting it on all the systems, now I finally have a digital game to get on my wii u.

On Pokemon Snap, the original controls like shit. The concept was not made for an analogue stick.

When Wii U was announced, there wasn't a single person who saw it that didn't think "Hey they looks like it could be used as a camera in a Pokemon Snap sequel"

For a system focusing on innovation, it's fucking astounding that they didn't take up the most innovative idea that everyone and their dog saw from this console.

• Thumbs Up 2

On Pokemon Snap, the original controls like shit. The concept was not made for an analogue stick.

When Wii U was announced, there wasn't a single person who saw it that didn't think "Hey they looks like it could be used as a camera in a Pokemon Snap sequel"

For a system focusing on innovation, it's fucking astounding that they didn't take up the most innovative idea that everyone and their dog saw from this console.

I thought something like that, but it was more along the ines of "Ugh, that looks like it could be used as a camera in a Pokemon Snap sequel"

I had no problem with the original's controls and fail to see how they were shit. Gyro aiming on the other hand, I hate, so unless it's merely an option I'd not want that to happen.

Screw pokemon snap I want a hey you pikachu sequel

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck "Hey You Pikachu!". That asshole never got angry when I yelled Sony like he was supposed to.

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing with that McDonalds Mario Happy Meal month.

I just hope it's a lot better than what they did for The LEGO Movie.

Styled cups are great and all, but they could have made massive LEGO minifigures on scale with most of the other Happy Meal toys.

Also, if I'm honest, I didn't even know what Pokemon Snap was when everyone was saying that. I had to look it up. I am not embarrassed to say that. blush.png