Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

*Don't know if this has been posted because I'm not reading through all the crap in this topic*

So any Canadians (or Americans close to the border) who want a WiiU can get a basic for 199$ next week. I've got no plans for one, but if you've been holding off it might be worth it.

The basic version of Nintendo's Wii U console will be just $199 at Walmart locations in Canada starting Friday, August 2, according to a retailer ad that sprouted up online. The ad notes that the sale counts for online purchases.

- http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/31/report-wii-u-basic-199-at-walmart-canada-next-week/

Edited by SkyLlama

Morrisons... the 4th largest Supermarket here in the UK, who are also I might add known for great deals on videogames...

Have dropped support for the Wii U.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analysis-can-nintendo-turn-wii-u-sales-around-this-christmas/0119501

In addition for this, the sale figures following Asda and Amazon's £100 price drop have been released.

Asda's price drop = 250 units sold.

Amazon's price drop = 667 units sold.

They might as well stick a fork in UK's physical retail for Wii U. The platform is dead there. Considering the Q1 reports for that matter it's not looking better at all worldwide.

Keeping Mario Kart 8 for 2014 is the dumbest possible move for their "re-launch" if you can call it that.

Morrisons... the 4th largest Supermarket here in the UK, who are also I might add known for great deals on videogames...

Have dropped support for the Wii U.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analysis-can-nintendo-turn-wii-u-sales-around-this-christmas/0119501

In addition for this, the sale figures following Asda and Amazon's £100 price drop have been released.

Wow, you'd think it would've sold more...damn.

Man if Mario Kart 8 came out in the summer this wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by KrazyBean

Good god! It's common knowledge that the Wii U's situation is bad, but... holy shit! I didn't even know it was that bad. That's... that's REALLY BAD!

Well, I guess this just proved beyond of a shadow of a doubt that a price drop alone will not turn things around. There's just no appeal to the thing.

Not even the Gamecube fumbled this badly in its first year.

To be kinda fair, if there was any territory Nintendo would do crap in if it made an error, it would be the UK first every time.

Well, I guess this just proved beyond of a shadow of a doubt that a price drop alone will not turn things around.

Gee you think? Price drops alone didn't salvage the Vita or 3DS in any territory. A price reduction is the equivalent of band aid. For that matter, store-exclusive price reductions are ridiculously low-key. They almost never have any significant impact.

Needs the games son. There's been nothing for six months. It also needs an official price drop.

To be kinda fair, if there was any territory Nintendo would do crap in if it made an error, it would be the UK first every time.

UK may have the lowest numbers of the lot but performances still mirror interest in places like the US.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, only games will save this console. Nintendo needs to increase the Wii U's install base by releasing their games, along with the 3rd Party exclusives...only then the 3rd Party devs will feel like they can make a profit on the thing.

It's a waiting game at the moment really.

Edited by KrazyBean

Gee you think? Price drops alone didn't salvage the Vita or 3DS in any territory. A price reduction is the equivalent of band aid. For that matter, store-exclusive price reductions are ridiculously low-key. They almost never have any significant impact.

Needs the games son. There's been nothing for six months. It also needs an official price drop.

I've been saying for weeks now that it won't be enough, lol. I'm just saying it's "good" to have proof since everyone always says a price drop will suddenly make it competitive.

And didn't Vita sales spike on Black Friday last year? Not very high, but it was a noticeable spike if I remember correctly. They went back down, but the fact that a price drop that large at two of the biggest market chains in the country had almost no effect at all is pretty bad no matter how you look at it.

Price drop and games still didn't save the Gamecube though, so... I'm completely at a loss as to how they can turn it around. Mario Kart might make a bigger splash than any of the other games coming out, but good or not, I don't see them reaching out to new demographics.

Yeah, only games will save this console. Nintendo needs to increase the Wii U's install base by releasing their games, along with the 3rd Party exclusives...only then the 3rd Party devs will feel like they can make a profit on the thing.

What third party would be stupid enough to make their game Wii U exclusive though?

That's just throwing time and money away.

The 3rd party exclusives will only come after Nintendo dig themselves out of this hole they created. Third parties aren't developing games for the Wii U because its install base is too small. Its install base is small because there aren't enough games. Nintendo are the only ones who can fix this, because they're the only ones who can gain from investing in the system at this point.

If they wanted to speed things along Nintendo could also moneyhat some developers/publishers and make it worth their while to make an exclusive game (the moneyhat removes the burden of risk from the developer/publisher). But until the install base picks up, no third party is at all likely to, of their own accord, make an exclusive game because it is high-risk and low-return.

Edited by Frogging101

It also doesn't help that NoA is fucking lazy as shit to actually advertise the damn thing right.

It also doesn't help that NoA is fucking lazy as shit to actually advertise the damn thing right.

Yeah, they need a much better advertising campaign. They need to tell people what it is and why they should care about it. That's kinda Marketing 101, isn't it?

Edited by Frogging101

I don't understand why they went and released the thing when the big games weren't ready anyway. Yeah, they originally had a launch window plan, but those games weren't the big sellers and for so many of them to be delayed, they must have had an inkling some of them might not be ready for the launch window.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't understand why they went and released the thing when the big games weren't ready anyway. Yeah, they originally had a launch window plan, but those games weren't the big sellers and for so many of them to be delayed, they must have had an inkling some of them might not be ready for the launch window.

They wanted to have third-parties not be shadowed by Nintendo's first-party games like the 3DS perhaps.

To be fair though, as someone who doesn't own a Wii-U, it took me a while to spot what the problem was.

They look so alike it's no wonder people are confused.

• Thumbs Up 2

As someone who does own a Wii U it took me a bit to see what was wrong.

The Wii U looks too boring and unnoticeable, it needs a redesign or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't quite have a WiiU either... what's supposed to be the problem again?

Wow. This will just further affirm the notion to the uninitiated that the Wii U is a Wii add-on =/

I don't quite have a WiiU either... what's supposed to be the problem again?

It took me a minute to notice as well, and I do own a Wii U.

If you look closely, the Wii U gamepad is sitting atop a Wii (as in, not a Wii U).

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 3