Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

The Wii U has been released. It is currently available. So it's current gen. I don't see what the argument in this is.

Well, as far as I see it, that's perfectly logical, if you're just talking about Nintendo consoles. But for some arbitrary reason, a 'console generation' is basically a group of consoles released at relatively the same time, instead of how other electronics do it, where a generation of hardware is simply in relation to previous pieces of hardware by the same company (like, say, the iPhone).

Ok, Mr. I'm gonna make a really huge post. That was a joke, no one is wanting to argue that. A joke in the sense that people constantly called XBOX 360, and PS3 next gen for like 5 fucking years,a nd are starting to do it again for the new consoles coming out, including wii u.

Well, that's the problem with text, it's more difficult to tell when someone is joking :P

Really, the paradigm of 'console generations' as it is now is just arbitrary and asinine. I'm not saying we should be seeing yearly new hardware releases like, say, smartphones, but the big three should be better off being able to release new hardware whenever they damn well please, rather than waiting for some arbitrary time limit for the 'generation' to transition to the next one.

• Thumbs Up 1

....Are you guys seriously arguing semantics....really?

There is no argument though lol.

Really, the paradigm of 'console generations' as it is now is just arbitrary and asinine. I'm not saying we should be seeing yearly new hardware releases like, say, smartphones, but the big three should be better off being able to release new hardware whenever they damn well please, rather than waiting for some arbitrary time limit for the 'generation' to transition to the next one.

The problem with this is that consoles aren't PC's, you can't just release new hardware whenever you want with those, like if the PS5 came out in 3 years, what kind of sense would that make.

Edited by Noel

So

tl;dr we should stop using next-gen for the Wii U, Xbone, and PS4.

Argument and case closed.

• Thumbs Up 5

And we've gone back to the "is the Wii U next gen or not" argument again. Which is a really stupid argument, honestly, because the whole 'console generation' thing is completely stupid to begin with. Hell, I'd very much like someone to smash the whole paradigm with a hammer just because they can.

The unsustainable AAA business model, at worst, is going to cause a second crash. The industry is too big for a second crash to cause the death of the industry itself, but any number of publishers and/or developers could die off within the next six to eight years.

No way the market crashes again. Next gen has a big focus on indie development, and indie game devs are everywhere on every platform from phones to PCs. Even if the bloated megacorps like Activision, Squenix and whoever else bust, the torch will be carried by the grassroots movement that's practically keeping gaming alive and interesting as is.

low cost of entry for hardware via phones... pcs etc + ludicrous amount of talented people making games and selling them easily via DD means it's hard to imagine another crash

I don't think I could deal with a rapid iteration in hardware power. Forking out every two years or so for another slight power increase to a machine that does nothing but play games seems like a waste of cash, I like being able to pay once and then ride it out.

If you wanted a crash though, that's how you'd do it.

No way the market crashes again. Next gen has a big focus on indie development, and indie game devs are everywhere on every platform from phones to PCs. Even if the bloated megacorps like Activision, Squenix and whoever else bust, the torch will be carried by the grassroots movement that's practically keeping gaming alive and interesting as is.

low cost of entry for hardware via phones... pcs etc + ludicrous amount of talented people making games and selling them easily via DD means it's hard to imagine another crash

Oh, no, I don't mean an indie crash, no way. Indies will just keep going as they always will. But at this rate, the AAA side of the industry is going to implode.

Ironically, Nintendo are in the best position to weather that storm when it inevitably arrives.

Oh, no, I don't mean an indie crash, no way. Indies will just keep going as they always will. But at this rate, the AAA side of the industry is going to implode.

Ironically, Nintendo are in the best position to weather that storm when it inevitably arrives.

Or the worst. MS and Sony have better indie programs than Nintendo.

I suppose they can sustain themselves with their own games, is what you're saying.

I don't even really see Triple A BS games imploding either. People like flashy shit. THQ were a pretty B-Grade publisher TBH.

If they die it won't be a big death, it'll be more like a slow whimpering fade away as people move onto smaller projects instead of the hollywood stuff.

Edited by Remz

That actually remains to be seen. Until just recently, Nintendo was actually providing a better deal for indies than Microsoft was, and they're still actively courting independent developers in multiple ways, including making it easier for indies to develop for the Wii U.

I suppose they can sustain themselves with their own games, is what you're saying.

I don't even really see Triple A BS games imploding either. People like flashy shit. THQ were a pretty B-Grade publisher TBH.

People like flashy shit, but that flashy shit is starting to get so utterly expensive that there just isn't enough consumers actually buying it to cover the cost of making it. Star Wars: The Old Republic, Tomb Raider, RE6 are rather prominent recent examples. The film industry is falling right into the same hole.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Nintendo and Sony both have solid indie programs, but they are different.  Nintendo is giving indie's all the tools they could possibly need to get there games on Wii U/3ds by giving free licenses for Unity for example, while Sony is giving them a huge spotlight to show off there games as there indie push on Vita and huge focus on PS4 at E3 show. 

People just see Sony as the big indie supporters currently, but with Nintendo's push for them and Microsoft's begrudging support will ensure that those great games will came to all of the systems.  

As for the argument that the Wii U is next gen or not, it is part of the PS4/X1 line up of next generation systems and even if the games aren't graphically on par with PS4 or X1 games, the system is next gen due to the system being a step (abet a small step) above the PS3/360 and Nintendo's skill with making beautiful art styles will help them make amazing looking games (look how good Pikmin 3 looks, it looks amazing :)). People just need to take advantage of the hardware and as Sony shown with the PS2/3 and Nintendo themselves proved with the Wii, you can really make amazing looking games by pushing the hardware to its limits :).

tumblr_inline_mqtbo7WbWE1qz4rgp.jpg

...They are making a port of the PS3/360 versions for the Wii U, and they cut content from the Wii U version for the hell of it? Come on WB, you had online play in Injustice Wii U, so what's your excuse here.

...They are making a port of the PS3/360 versions for the Wii U, and they cut content from the Wii U version for the hell of it? Come on WB, you had online play in Injustice Wii U, so what's your excuse here.

They didn't have lobbies in Injustice Wii U though.

Fuck you Warner Brothers. I'm not falling for the same trap again. Either get your shit together and make a good Wii U port or I'm not buying your products.

Cue the "THE WII U VERSION SOLD POORLY NOT GONNA MAKE ANY MORE WII U GAMES ~WARNER BROS CEO"

Fuck you Warner Brothers. I'm not falling for the same trap again. Either get your shit together and make a good Wii U port or I'm not buying your products.

Cue the "THE WII U VERSION SOLD POORLY NOT GONNA MAKE ANY MORE WII U GAMES ~WARNER BROS CEO"

I don't think that's there attitude; online play for Nintendo platforms isn't that big outside of COD, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter and Smash and with the other platforms having large audiences eating up the online modes, they just thought that putting all the funding on those systems will ensure that it will be solid MP (especially since this is the first time the Arkam games had MP to being with). 

That's no excuse for no online on the Wii U version, but that probley there thought process with the exclusion of the mode.

Well, why would you invest money in something that isn't making you a profit? I know it sucks, but these people aren't looking at happy faces they're looking at money signs and if they aren't there they aren't going for it. Same for the way the Vita is being treated at the moment.

Edited by Noel
  • Thumbs Up 1

I want to say "Cry about it some more" but that would just prolong this.

Stop acting like an angry mob every time negative news appears on the Wii U. Be happy you atleast have the game and deal with it.

You're just giving yourself and the console you're defending more bad rep.

They're playing it safe. So prove the Wii U is worth it.

I'm not typing this out of anger, The Wii U has potential, but give it time.

Edited by 少佐 Jin H. Kisaragi
  • Thumbs Up 2

Next Gen

Aka

"My PC had these graphics 5 years ago"

Lol please. Infamous is an impressive game, graphically. Ryse is an impressive game, graphically. These are launch window games, by the way.

The PS4 and X1 are both going to have games beyond what we've seen so far on anything. Uncharted blew minds when it came out. FF XIII was gorgeous. MGS4 was super impressive, and so forth.

The Wii U is going to top the current gen, sure, but it won't hit nearly the same highs as the other two. Not even close.

Well, why would you invest money in something that isn't making you a profit?

Oh, so make $0 instead of $60 because no one will buy it now will make you profit instead? This news is making waves across the internet, and many people aren't buying it. The same thing happened with InJustice. As soon as prerelease copies got out and people talked about the lack of online lobbies, people started to go against buying their game.

I want to say "Cry about it some more" but that would just prolong this.

Stop acting like an angry mob every time negative news appears on the Wii U. Be happy you atleast have the game and deal with it.

You're just giving yourself and the console you're defending more bad rep.

The hell? People can't complain they're being charged full price with half the game? If I'm not mistaken, they've been hyping up the multiplayer since the initial reveal of the game.

"Be happy you have the game. You're making the fanbase look bad!"

THE FUCK?

I could possibly justify purchasing the game if there's a discount on the Wii U version. If not, I'd rather get a different version with all its content or no game at all. It's absolutely sickening to see a game with half the content for full price. By defending it, you're encouraging more games to come out with missing features.

Lol please. Infamous is an impressive game, graphically. Ryse is an impressive game, graphically. These are launch window games, by the way.

You're taking a light-hearted post too seriously.

Edited by Autosaver

but then Lego marvel superheroes sells great, then they say way more kid games for wii-u, but nothing else

u-mad.jpg

But yeah. Everyone is angry cause they aren't getting games. You know Nintendo should probably thought this out before throwing a console with little to no games out there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone gets that Nintendo made a mistake.

But I'm not bending over for Warner Brothers to take $60 from my wallet for a copy with half the features. Either lower the price, or people just aren't going to support you.

$5 they used InJustice Wii U sales to determine the multiplayer base. Flaw in that? A lot of people avoided that because of the same issues.

Edited by Autosaver

u-mad.jpg

But yeah. Everyone is angry cause they aren't getting games. You know Nintendo should probably thought this out before throwing a console with little to no games out there.

ps_vita_system.png

Perhaps they should have done the same too but, eh, apparently neither party gives a fuck it seems.

• Thumbs Up 2

> Game lacks features because of small install base

> Wii U owners boycott game

> "Welp it didn't sell"

> Third party support dwindles further

... Well at least it won't bomb as hard as the Virtual Boy!

They can easily solve the issue with a price drop. But no, logical moves to prevent the bombing of a game is not going to happen, is it now?

Hey look, Sonic Lost World comes out the same week. I guess Wii U owners will have another game to play with.