Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Your definition for AAA seems super subjective if you don't count the budget aspect.

And honestly, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "ambitious" part of Nintendo's upcoming lineup.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mario Galaxy was big, ambitious, memorable, and creative. AAA. 3D World, in comparison, is very clearly a small-time, budget title. Not so AAA.

And yet 3D World was still incredibly memorable and creative, in my honest opinion. So much variety in level design and clever ideas. It was 2D Mario fully realized in 3D. Was it as 'groundbreaking' as Galaxy? No, but it was no less amazing. 3D World is basically taking that, and making it bigger, better, and with 4-player multiplayer, along with actually making Peach playable in a proper Mario platformer for the first time since SMB2.

Yes, Galaxy was fresh and interesting, but Nintendo doesn't have to throw him into an entirely new setting every freaking time to make an inventive and memorable game.

• Thumbs Up 3

And yet 3D World was still incredibly memorable and creative, in my honest opinion. So much variety in level design and clever ideas. It was 2D Mario fully realized in 3D. Was it as 'groundbreaking' as Galaxy? No, but it was no less amazing. 3D World is basically taking that, and making it bigger, better, and with 4-player multiplayer, along with actually making Peach playable in a proper Mario platformer for the first time since SMB2.

Yes, Galaxy was fresh and interesting, but Nintendo doesn't have to throw him into an entirely new setting every freaking time to make an inventive and memorable game.

I don't know, six years is kind of a long time, and a new console launch is kind of a big event...

3D World is not an offensive game at all, but now is a very bad time.

I tend to agree with Discoid on all fronts besides Mario 3D World - I think that game will be fantastic and will be one of the more important titles for Wii U, but I can definitely see why there's disappointment surrounding it. Despite all the awesome things it'll give Wii U owners, (playable Peach FINALLY), it still seems... too samey to 3D Land. 

Maybe if they released it after a more ambitious 3D Mario platformer. I'm not sure if I'm putting this across properly, haha.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Your definition for AAA seems super subjective if you don't count the budget aspect.

And honestly, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "ambitious" part of Nintendo's upcoming lineup.

That's fair.

edit - (sorry, meant for this to be merged into my previous post)

Edited by Discoid

Super Luigi U is being heralded as this big thing when it's really just a big expansion pack

The only reason why it's getting so much advertisement is because it's the Year of Luigi. It's no secret that it's just a huge DLC pack because that's exactly what it is. I don't think Nintendo is trying to fool themselves into thinking that they've made another revolutionary-GOTY-every-year-all-years game with NSLU.

We've got DKCTF*, which looks sort of like a Mario Galaxy 2 situation

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason why that game is being made is because Nintendo let them choose what they got to do next, and they just so happened to choose Donkey Kong. Again. Apparently, they had tons of fun making DKCR.

Anyways, besides those two things that bothered me (In a harmless way. I wasn't offended), you made a good point with that post. I guess I'm not bothered at all by samey games. SMG2 blew my mind because literally everything except story (Which I find unimportant in a Mario game) was better in that game. Especially the controls. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well actually, I don't think they succeeded with the Year of Luigi campaign. It wasn't for lack of trying, but more could be done about it.

I think Luigi's Mansion suffers badly from Nintendo Tax-isis right now, because for the price it is and the lack of marketing it had, it is not the first game that comes to my mind when I think "Year of Luigi" when it is the first one to represent it. NSLU is the one they are focusing on, even though it's just a DLC pack. They could have done a better job with it, which is sad, because I really like Luigi.

Japan had a 3DS Luigi, why not here? And the least they could have done is create a Luigi Wiimote+. That would've been nice to own besides NSLU, or even better: a Collector's Edition of NSLU with a Luigi-themed Pro Controller, which actually ties pretty well with the last NSMBU patch, which now supports the Pro Controller.

I actually don't mind New Super Mario U and the Luigi U DLC. I think it's a rather nice expansion pack, and it's cool that they gave Luigi top billing for it. I am not against them releasing NSMBU as a launch title (despite it's flawed unoriginality) on the basis that the game itself is fun and very enjoyable, and gives Wii U owners a Mario game for launch. It's better than no Mario game at all, that is, and having DLC is a great way to keep the game relevant.

I wish they had been more original in terms of visual variety and music scoring like everyone else does, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I could own a Wii U, I would be satisfied with what I got. My only caveat would be if this was the only 2D Mario game we're going to get for Wii U. It will be harder for me to justify the safeness of NSMBU if there isn't a more original and ambitious 2D Mario game coming down the pipeline in the future. (Super Mario Bros... 4?!) 

Same goes for what I said earlier about 3D World. I am not against it and I think it looks like it'll be one of the Wii U's stronger titles... it's just that I want to see Nintendo do that "outside of the box thing" and make a massive ambitious 3D Mario game that takes a risk. Mario 64 is a given, Mario Sunshine was risky in setting and gameplay mechanic, Galaxy 1 threw you into space while retaining that classic Mario feel, Galaxy 2 was kind of an expansion of Galaxy 1 with added Yoshi goodness (which was okay at the time, because Galaxy was still fresh and wasn't even close to being spent), and Mario 3D Land brought things into a more classic structure and kind of brought things full circle... but with 3D World, it gives it multiplayer (good multiplayer, I'll gladly be the first to admit) but otherwise is Mario 3D Land HD. ...which isn't bad at all, it's just that for a new Nintendo console, a lot of people are expecting Mario to go into a new direction or do something innovative with the game pad (something in addition to touching enemies inappropriately and playing "hide-and-seek" with hidden blocks).

So... really, I'm not so much anti-SM3DW or anti-NSMBU as much as I am pro-ambitious new Mario game that could change everything.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Mario World was planned originally to be at this specific point in the lineup to replace any sort of other Mario game, it just sort of ended up that way like with the closeness of the NSMB series entries. There were a lot of leftover ideas not implemented in 3D Land that Nintendo wanted to use, and decided to make a second entry of sorts.  

*Looks a page back at Discoid's post*...You do realize Majora's Mask, at its backbone, still follows the same formula as all the other Zelda games. Get 4 things, the major shit happens. And in some cases gets even more ridiculous with it in the ways to get into the Temples, especially Great Bay. That was my argument, it's always going to be Zelda even when it's different. What you were implying was that they like make...who the hell knows what since you made no suggestions, but it's not Zelda.

Also, I'd like to say the stupid saying of "close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades", just because Skyward Sword isn't as close to Majora's Mask as OoT doesn't make Skyward Sword an OoT ripoff. That's a pretty lame argument, man. It's like saying Minish Cap is Zelda 1 or LttP.

Edit: Even being closer to OoT I'd argue though, despite not being closer to MM. SS is it's own beast, especially in the way that it basically turned the game into one big dungeon.

Edit 2 (WE SEEIN' ALL KINDSA EDITS): It should be noted that Skyward Sword was made that way due to fan complaints about there being barren overworlds with shit all to do, which had been in place since OoT.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 3

Do people realize that 2D Marios have outsold 3D Marios by tons? Hell, Miyamoto/Iwata have pointed this out many times by saying Japanese players have had trouble with 3D Mario games and they made 3D Land to sort of fix the problem.

I'm not sure how making a 3D Mario game that bridges the 2D and 3D gameplay while supporting the beloved multiplayer aspect is a bad decision.

Do people realize that 2D Marios have outsold 3D Marios by tons? Hell, Miyamoto/Iwata have pointed this out many times by saying Japanese players have had trouble with 3D Mario games and they made 3D Land to sort of fix the problem.

I'll never understand this, these are the same gamers (and demographic) that can take on Bullet Hell (often on the highest difficulty too depending on the gamer). Don't get me started on the complexity of 2D Fighting Games like Guilty Gear/Blazblue that are also demographed towards there and yet they have trouble playing a baby-easy overly linear platformer. This is the same reason why Skyward Sword was so linear too, they apparently hate open ended games and SS was designed in mind to appeal to that demographic.

Now the linearity issue I can sort of understand, but honestly, having trouble with a 3D Mario game? Really? I know Sunshine had some obnoxious difficulty spikes, but there's no excuse for Galaxy.

I don't think it's more of an "it's too hard" issue as it's more of an "this perspective in a platformer is uncomfortable" issue.

Now, why it's an issue in the first place, I don't know.

Edited by Haden
  • Thumbs Up 1

It does seem to be entirely a matter of perspective. It's easier to gauge jumps on a 2D plan for plenty of people, so they prefer that even if doing it in a 3D platformer isn't particularly that much more difficult.

It does seem to be entirely a matter of perspective. It's easier to gauge jumps on a 2D plan for plenty of people, so they prefer that even if doing it in a 3D platformer isn't particularly that much more difficult.

Really? I find it more of a pain to figure out a jump for which you might not even be able to see, which is pretty common for me in a 2D platformer unlike a 3D platformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd much rather have things in front of me to see. I can't stand speed running 2D Platformers because I can never see what's ahead soon enough to actually react to it.

I'll never understand this, these are the same gamers (and demographic) that can take on Bullet Hell (often on the highest difficulty too depending on the gamer). Don't get me started on the complexity of 2D Fighting Games like Guilty Gear/Blazblue that are also demographed towards there and yet they have trouble playing a baby-easy overly linear platformer. This is the same reason why Skyward Sword was so linear too, they apparently hate open ended games and SS was designed in mind to appeal to that demographic.

Now the linearity issue I can sort of understand, but honestly, having trouble with a 3D Mario game? Really? I know Sunshine had some obnoxious difficulty spikes, but there's no excuse for Galaxy.

Naww, knowing Mario fans in Japan, many of them have mastered the game since 1985 and that was probably the last time they've played a Mario game, let alone ANY game since then. The bullet hell and JRPG crowd just so happen to play more games--just not Mario. To put it more simply, the Japanese gaming scene is more casual than what people make it out to be, and don't forget the fact tht hardcore gamers are usually seen as otaku that don't seem to get along well with society. As such, the otaku populaton obsess over games like BlazBlue or Dangan Ronpa. Many people play games simply because they're fun--not that they want to master them or anything.Hell, as far as I know, the Pokémon metagane is really only done to death by Westerners and people who live outside Japan.

The thing with the Japanese is that they love formula and anything that's familiar or simple to understand--such a condition has made Dragon Quest so popular. 2D Mario games just so happened to get released first, thus festering it in their gaming culture. 3D Mario games are just something that they'll just have to adjust to from here, as let's face it--3D Mario games are NOTHING like 2D Mario games. It'll take longer with them, but many of them still love Mario just the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wind Waker HD Japan box art

Oh wow, that is gorgeous. Hopefully the NA and PAL ones are the same.

...That's hawt. That will really stand out alright.

Edited by KrazyBean

81kCfglTzZL._AA1500_.jpg

Ganon looks awesome in this picture, I REALLY hope they don't fuck it up in the NA/PAL releases.

Oh wow, that is gorgeous. Hopefully the NA and PAL ones are the same.

Ganon looks awesome in this picture, I REALLY hope they don't fuck it up in the NA/PAL releases.

XFkMNH7.jpg

NoA "Eh, good enough."

NoE "Fuck it, just ship it!"

• Thumbs Up 7

Well actually, I don't think they succeeded with the Year of Luigi campaign. It wasn't for lack of trying, but more could be done about it.

I think Luigi's Mansion suffers badly from Nintendo Tax-isis right now, because for the price it is and the lack of marketing it had, it is not the first game that comes to my mind when I think "Year of Luigi" when it is the first one to represent it. NSLU is the one they are focusing on, even though it's just a DLC pack. They could have done a better job with it, which is sad, because I really like Luigi.

Japan had a 3DS Luigi, why not here? And the least they could have done is create a Luigi Wiimote+. That would've been nice to own besides NSLU, or even better: a Collector's Edition of NSLU with a Luigi-themed Pro Controller, which actually ties pretty well with the last NSMBU patch, which now supports the Pro Controller.

They could have done more for Year of Luigi. Some DLC for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. A small DLC pack for NSMB2 were only luigi is playable. DLC for Dream Team. Not to mention that Mario Golf World Tour had some Luigi mode to it. but its not going to be released this year.

81kCfglTzZL._AA1500_.jpg

That's quite an attractive cover, I like how well the blue case works with it. I may not be a fan of the Zelda series, but I love WW

for it's art style and the cell shading. That makes it really stand out to me.