Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

is it up on all websites or just amazon? also still cheaper than the original

What is it with Nintendo and marketing this gen? All of these events and tours during the Summer, but none in Birmingham? WTF?!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/Events/Events-659914.html

There aren't many locations full stop. Back in the Wii and DS days they made many stops to spread the word and get people trying the games. 

usN9w.gif

$50 was ridiculous. This... this has no words.

Someone tell me how a full remake on almost everything of a game that's over $100 new is allowed to not be the price of a whole game?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone tell me how a full remake on almost everything of a game that's over $100 new is allowed to not be the price of a whole game?

Because it isn't a full remake, and I'd rather its value be determined by other releases of its type?

The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that is so damn hard to find is Xenoblade, but at least the recentness of that game would make a full price tag more justifiable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it isn't a full remake, and I'd rather its value be determined by other releases of its type?

The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that is so damn hard to find is Xenoblade, but at least the recentness of that game would make a full price tag more justifiable.

A huge graphical haul and making the pacing much better along with Miiverse compatibility isn't a full remake? Is OoT 3D not a full remake?

To this day I don't understand why they fucking removed the Tingle Tuner in a Wind Waker remake on a console that's main distinct feature is a second fucking screen.

Miiverse compatibility be damned.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 8

What does the extremely obssessive collector's price have to do with anything when it comes to Nintendo rereleasing it?

• Thumbs Up 5

A huge graphical haul and making the pacing much better along with Miiverse compatibility isn't a full remake? Is OoT 3D not a full remake?

No, actually. It isn't. They rebuilt models and redid some textures, but it was still built on the original game's source code. It's basically like a really elaborate mod project with a budget and more time. 

A "full remake" is rebuilt from the ground up, as a completely new game. 

For Wind Waker, they redid the lighting, added some new effects, and... I think that might be it actually. From what I can tell the environments look more or less the same other than the dynamic lighting and more vibrant colors.

Also, that not shitty endgame we've been promised... do we still not know what the actual difference is? Besides that, is there any actual new content? New dungeons? New places in the overworld?

No, it isn't a remake. It's an upgraded port. So was OoT3D. 

By your logic, Kingdom Hearts HD is even more deserving of the "remake" status, and that's not pretending to be one, either.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can get the game for about $38 used.

As a retro gamer, I hate this "everything must be bought new" mentality people have.

Did you know Pokemon Yellow costs $350 new and about $30 used? Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

60 bucks is ridiculous for this. It's not a huge blockbuster game crafted from scratch, it's seeing how pretty and fancy they can take an already existing game from 10 years ago, and I don't think that deserves a full price tag, no matter how many bells and whistles your put in it. The moment you start putting an HD game up for standard pricing, it's going to be immediately compared to other games of that price, which isn't a good thing. Skyward Sword is probably still like 50-60 bucks and that's a brand new adventure from top to bottom.

The argument about the current price of the original game isn't something worth nothing I don't think. The rarity of an out-of-print game compared to an HD remake that's going to be everywhere isn't really the same thing and I consider it apples and oranges in comparison, so I don't see why there's any legit reason this game should even be more than 40 dollars. Okami HD went to the lengths of recreating nearly every texture as well as optional controls and the works and still managed to put it at a 20 (I think?) dollar price tag, ugh.

Sad thing is that they know we'll all get it anyways, lawl /rant

• Thumbs Up 6

No, it isn't a remake. It's an upgraded port. So was OoT3D. 

If OoT3D isn't considered a "full remake" then I honestly don't know what is. :/

• Thumbs Up 3

The price may be bullshit when compared to other HD remakes but considering the price of Wind Waker online I'll gladly pay 60, that's a god damn low price for that game at this point. 

Zero Mission, Shadow Dragon, FFIV DS (I think), are all remakes. They're all drastically better than their originals and were completely remade. 

OoT 3D is a glorified texture hack.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention if you have a Wii, yeah, you could play WW, but do you still have a memory card that works and a GameCube controller? If you don't, even used, you're still gonna pay about the same amount.

Edited by PSI Tornado

I don't get why that's "OK" though. Why is an old out of print original version of a game being compared to an HD remake that's going to be easily accessible and everywhere? I'm pretty sure that's the reason why the original Wind Waker is so much since it's becoming more rare and more and more people don't want to give up their copies as much. To use that inflated price to say "well I guess it's ok to pay through the nose for the HD one then if I can't get the original for a decent price" is blah.

It's totally uncalled for. The only way I'd even consider this price tag is if they're going to the lengths of adding in the missing dungeons from development and other largely cut things.

Sad thing is that they know we'll all get it anyways, lawl /rant

Definitely Autosaver.

If it's really $60, I'll take advantage of Newegg $15 off $50 deal, bringing down the price to $45.

Wind Waker is $40 used on Amazon.

Wind Waker HD is $60 brand new on Amazon.

$20 upgrade for a complete overhaul is fair to me, especially with the fact I would have to buy a memory card, GC, and controller to play it. Wind Waker HD is actually cheaper if I put it that way.

Keep in mind I've never played the original before, which is why the price might be easier to swallow for me. I can easily understand why people that already own the game or have played it find it hard to justify $60.

Wasn't Halo 1 Anniversary full price at launch?

No it wasn't. It was $40, and it had a lot more done to it than WWHD will.

Wind Waker is $40 used on Amazon.

Wind Waker HD is $60 brand new on Amazon.

$20 upgrade for a complete overhaul is fair to me, especially with the fact I would have to buy a memory card, GC, and controller to play it. Wind Waker HD is actually cheaper if I put it that way.

Keep in mind I've never played the original before, which is why the price might be easier to swallow for me. I can easily understand why people that already own the game or have played it find it hard to justify $60.

And this is the mindset that allowed Nintendo to charge full price for DS launch games all the way up to the release of the DSi XL. Or charge $30 for a Super Nintendo ROM on a disk. Or (earlier) split up that same ROM and release it on the GBA in pieces at full price.

• Thumbs Up 2

ok, about to go on a trip to a place with no internet, and limited tv acess for the first couple days, so was considering getting another nes game on the E-shop(already have DK, SM, MM1 and X1) for offscreen, so was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations, or if I should grab MM2 like I was considering?

... Eh, I'm still gonna buy Wind Waker HD. The $60 price is kinda meh, but the game itself is not meh, so... eh.

• Thumbs Up 2