Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

You know what? No, it's not Nintendo's fault that the Wii U isn't selling much or doesn't have a lot of third-party devs on board.

To sell a console, you need games. And if they're ports, they don't need to be half-assed versions either. If third-parties started making more games for the Wii U so people would actually have a reason to pick up their game on the Wii U or buy a Wii U, then this wouldn't happen. The PS1 was pretty much a third-party machine and look at it: it sold amazingly well! And when Nintendo gets a third-party on board and it's an exclusive, then what do you guys do? You bitch and moan that it isn't on your console of choice.

And now with this news, you're telling US to suck it up!? Excuse me, but no, that's just asinine bullshit. People were angry Bayonetta 2 and Lost World was a Wii U exclusive. But when we get a half-assed, gimp version of a game at the same price or the same game but at a higher price, you tell us that we should be happy that we're still getting the game?

Don't go "oh you're just mad" because we have a fucking right to as we've been dealing with this for over a FUCKING DECADE while Microsoft and Sony platforms get treated to a buffet, Nintendo platforms are generally fed the scraps.

The third party situation is completely Nintendo's fault. It's a major part of their history and you can not and should not fault publishers for being apathetic of them. Nintendo's no victim here.

And while I really do understand your frustration, you seriously need to chill out. No need to get overly defensive here.

• Thumbs Up 7

So the people who don't own a Wii U don't have a right to complain when a game they want comes out exclusively for it, but its perfectly fine for Wii U fans to complain when games don't come out for it?

I'm not saying they don't, because people do have the right. I'm saying these games are literally going to everything except Wii U, and it's not fair to us to not be able to complain about the 15 games going to everything else because the 2 or 3 games Wii U has.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I don't even care for the exclusives that Nintendo does have at the moment. I was merely stating that this:

Kind of becomes null when the Wii U fans have been doing it more then us. Even if it is doing bad.

Well, it is dozens of games coming to every console but one versus....what, two fucking exclusives? Not to mention the audience that the PS4/XBone is catering to has been shown to not give a damn about Sonic and Bayonetta anyway.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 1

When all is said and done, in the end, WiiU just doesn't have a killer app for it's "core" fanbase right now.

When the Xbox 360 came out and it had Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 3 along with the huge Hype Train for Halo 3 at the moment... Even that aside, Perfect, freaking, Dark. Gamers didn't even care if it sucked, a prequel to one of the greatest shooters of all time is enough to move anybody to get the console. WiiU has Nintendo Land and the mediocre ZombiU. Yeah, people aren't going to buy the console for just those.

WiiU's not getting it's super 'must have' exclusive until Bayonetta 2 and X come out. Until then, I don't think there's point in getting upset about all of this, we just have to wait and patient. :/

I understand buying a console and being upset at it being largely ignored. Really, I do. I own a Vita, haha.

That being said... you guys bought a Nintendo console. What the fuck were you expecting?

Stellar third party support?

If you bought the Wii U expecting it to fulfill your thirst for third party games... I don't know what to tell you. I really don't want to be a jerk here, but you should have known what you were getting into.

I understand buying a console and being upset at it being largely ignored. Really, I do. I own a Vita, haha.

That being said... you guys bought a Nintendo console. What the fuck were you expecting?

If you bought the Wii U expecting it to fulfill your thirst for third party games... I don't know what to tell you. I really don't want to be a jerk here, but you should have known what you were getting into.

Resident Evil 4 was originally NIntendo exclusive before being downgraded ported to PS2..

Resident Evil 4 was originally NIntendo exclusive before being downgraded ported to PS2..

That's my point, bud.

False equivalence. There's a difference between a single console getting an exclusive game (which basically excludes all the other systems), and a single system getting completely shafted when it comes to numerous mulitplatform games for virtually no reason, and the ones that are in many cases being effectively gimped. The Wii U getting a bad port of Mass Effect 3 instead of the entire collection, which was released at nearly the same time, was either ridiculous incompetence on EA's part, or willful sabotage.

Porting one game is cheaper/easier than porting three games.

We're used to it, seriously, but we wanted to believe things would be better than they were, Nintendo even said we could expect better support at E3 last year. Better than on N64, GC or Wii at least, the Wii actually had decent support.

But nope, it's even worse than any of those 3, definitely frustrating. It's not just about being ignored either, but respect. Why Nintendo has so little respect from non-Nintendo fans and most third parties makes it even more annoying to be a fan. Nintendo aren't the most amazing company ever by any means, but I think they deserve a little more respect than they've been getting, I don't know why mentioning the name "Nintendo" gets laughed off by developers who make far less money than them and have less of a quality game output?

To be honest though, so long as Nintendo are smarter than they have been, there are still ways to relaunch of re-advertise a weaker console even after the launch of competitors. The Wii launched last in some markets and second in others, but somehow it wasn't too badly affected by the PS3 or 360 because it had its own angle.

Nintendo have been dumb about its angle for the last year, but they don't need to release another new console to get a turnaround. It needs a fresh breath of life, maybe a new gimmick will be necessary or something, who knows, but if Nintendo are really worried they'll probably think of something. The Wii proved that "cheap alternatives with interesting things" is a legitimate approach.

If the Wii U doesn't get a price drop I'll be asking why Nintendo hates success though :P they bit their pride with the 3DS, it's time to do it again and realise that the high horse isn't a safe place to be even after a huge success.

at least if you had a back log of psp or ps1 games that you wouldn't mind playing again, owning a vita isn't that bad and there's plenty to hold you over until newer titles, unlike the Wii U at the moment.

I agree with your statement of "knowing what to expect when you bought (or buying) a Wii U," but that shouldn't be the case, unfortunately it is. I have high hopes for the Wii U when Smash is released and other titles such as Sonic and Bayonetta.

• Thumbs Up 1

at least if you had a back log of psp or ps1 games that you wouldn't mind playing again, owning a vita isn't that bad and there's plenty to hold you over until newer titles, unlike the Wii U at the moment.

Well.....The Wii U's virtual console is slowly picking up speed(Earthbound, anyone?), not to mention the good indie titles that have been making their way in. Plus you can still play any Wii game on it. They're kinda in the same boat.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well.....The Wii U's virtual console is slowly picking up speed, not to mention the good indie titles that have been making their way in. Plus you can still play any Wii game on it. They're kinda in the same boat.

That I won't deny. 

I bought my Vita expecting RPGs and Japanese games, though. So far... that's what I'm getting, and I'm happy with that.

Wii U's slow on the Nintendo games, but once they arrive, you should be good. Because seriously, buying a Nintendo console for any other reason is just naive.

I honestly want more 3DS and Wii U connectivity. I wonder why they don't try to cash in on the 3DS craze and try to direct more sales onto the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly want more 3DS and Wii U connectivity. I wonder why they don't try to cash in on the 3DS craze and try to direct more sales onto the Wii U.

...They could make a Pokémon Stadium 3 to tie into the release of X/Y with HD graphics, tons of mini games, a DS/3DS emulator built into the game to play the DS and 3DS Pokémon games and a deep (and solid) online mode with a lot of variations on the battle mechanics that they somewhat touched on with Battle Revolution on Wii.

Or maybe they could do this with Mario Kart 8 with you using your 3DS as a extra controller.  Maybe, just maybe they can have an account system where your VC games can transfer to your 3ds and vice versa. 

They could do a lot with this stuff, but logic and Nintendo don't normal mix so who knows biggrin.png

Yes, I'm wondering where that Pokemon Wii U game is. Rumble doesn't cut it.

Wii had Revolution and GC had the spin-off titles. A Wii U game featuring Pokemon in HD would be amazing.

Its just like Nintendo hates money or something; a HD Pokémon RPG with Demon Souls esc online features would be one hell of a system seller.  Get the Xenoblade devs and Game Freak to work together to get this made, or at the very least Nintendo could just make a e-shop Battle mode that is basically online battles were you import your Pokémon's to your Wii U or something. 

Same thing with online enabled F-Zero/Star Fox, proper Metroid game by Retro, a FPS made by Myomotto, another Earthbound game (even if its just a HD remake), and, well all kinds of awesome things!

I really respect Nintendo for making amazing games for the past few decades, but there thick headedness is going to really hurt them in the end.

I've got an idea. Have the ability to play 3DS games on the TV screen by linking it to the Wii U.

So, basically Wi-Fi enabled emulation similar to the GB Player for the GameCube.  That would be great by boosting the resolution from 240p to 360p or 780p resolution and with the additional option to play DS games and VC games this way will be a great bullet point for the Wii U to have; it would be a great way to deal with software droughts since Wii U owners with a 3ds could play those games on there Wii U this way.

Well.....The Wii U's virtual console is slowly picking up speed(Earthbound, anyone?), not to mention the good indie titles that have been making their way in. Plus you can still play any Wii game on it. They're kinda in the same boat.

Idk.... I just feel that there's no excuse that all the titles available via the VC isn't available for the Wii U by now. I have no disc games for my WIi U was of yet besides Ninty Land and I find myself going to the eshop constantly looking for a quick buy and Mighty Switch Force HD is the only game I'm interested in atm. There isn't much there is where I'm getting it. But yeah, picking up it is.

If they have the balls to bring it back up to $60 it better come with a friggin' Master Quest Mode or something.

...actually come to think of it, I'd really like a Master Quest Mode for Wind Waker's Second Quest. Can we have a Master Quest? Please?

Edited by Goldenlink64

Wind Waker is over $100 new and this version will be fixing the horrible pacing of the original. That, and I love Wind Waker so I'm still picking it up.

• Thumbs Up 3