Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Like I said, taking shit concepts that failed in the past and making them work isn't innovation, it's progress.

Where were you guys four hours ago. = -=

Nobody's saying they don't have their place in gaming history. They do. I know they do. What I'm saying is that after being used to doing whatever the fuck they wanted and having everyone tag along because they had to, Nintendo has yet to adjust to an industry where they can't do that.

The N64 was a failure, wasn't it? It made money, but not nearly as much as they had hoped. The GameCube was a failure as well. The only successful endeavor they've had in the console space since the competition actually started hitting hard was the Wii, and as the Wii U is very clearly showing us now, they don't have a clue why.

Depends on what you classify as a failure. There are many people who wouldn't classify as either one of them a failure, and I doubt Nintendo does either. It didn't sell as well as PS1 or PS2, but it wasn't the Virtual Boy disaster. Nintendo made money from these consoles and had a library of titles that are considered "classics" in their own right. I wouldn't call them failures at all.

Isn't handheld to handheld connectivity considered innovation?

• Thumbs Up 3

An innovation doesn't have to be entirely new in every goddamn aspect. It can also be very much different from something that came before in certain aspects while sharing similarities with others aspects of it. It's this sort of nonsense over who did what first is partly why tech companies are in a frenzy suing each other over patents.

My point is, Nintendo made stuff that worked, worked well, and became standard.

Oh, and I forgot about the start and select buttons. Nintendo did that first, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo will be fine...regardless if people feel that they have "failed in the past" they never actually taken any loses.

This video sums up my feelings well. As long as Nintndo isn't taking any loses...they wont care and will continue to be the elephant in the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZ8dk8Qblc

Edited by Voyant

Atari 5200 didi it, but no one gave a rat's ass about that abomination so Nintendo might as well take the credit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on what you classify as a failure. There are many people who wouldn't classify as either one of them a failure, and I doubt Nintendo does either. It didn't sell as well as PS1 or PS2, but it wasn't the Virtual Boy disaster. Nintendo made money from these consoles and had a library of titles that are considered "classics" in their own right. I wouldn't call them failures at all.

Isn't handheld to handheld connectivity considered innovation?

It's very possible for a product to make a profit and still be a failure; if it doesn't make as much as the developer hoped it would, it is a failure.

Nintendo has said themselves that the GameCube got disappointing numbers, ergo, it was a failure. I don't remember if there was an official statement about the N64, but I do know it's strongest market was North America, where it got second place. It was dead in the water everywhere else. Behind the Saturn in Japan, in fact.

It's very possible for a product to make a profit and still be a failure; if it doesn't make as much as the developer hoped it would, it is a failure.

Nintendo has said themselves that the GameCube got disappointing numbers, ergo, it was a failure. I don't remember if there was an official statement about the N64, but I do know it's strongest market was North America, where it got second place. It was dead in the water everywhere else. Behind the Saturn in Japan, in fact.

I think there is a difference between disappointing numbers and Nintendo considering the console as a whole a failure.

Nintendo in the industry is like a kid at school always getting bullied by all the students.

I think there is a difference between disappointing numbers and Nintendo considering the console as a whole a failure.

If it doesn't succeed to meet expectations, then it automatically fails to meet expectations.

Like... seriously. I've made mistakes with wording before on account to being on my phone at work, but this is pretty simple.

Nintendo in the industry is like a kid at school always getting bullied by all the students.

I didn't have billions upon billions of dollars and one of the most devoted fanbases ever when I was in elementary school... :c

Is that what getting bullied is like nowadays?

Unless I'm mistaken, Shirou's general point is that Nintendo is not nearly as unimportant as some of you guys assume they are.

With that said, this digression is rather pointless fan wankery, so... any good news lately?

GOD DAMN THIS.

Harvest Moon hitting eShop August 1st

If it doesn't succeed to meet expectations, then it automatically fails to meet expectations.

Like... seriously. I've made mistakes with wording before on account to being on my phone at work, but this is pretty simple.

I didn't have billions upon billions of dollars and one of the most devoted fanbases ever when I was in elementary school... :c

Is that what getting bullied is like nowadays?

I was trying to brighten up the mood with a little joke tongue.png
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was trying to brighten up the mood with a little joke tongue.png

VIDEO GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS MAN.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe in the specific sales section yes. But remember Nintendo live in their own little bubble where sales aren't the biggest importance on their mind. Several huge game series were pushed forward or created on the Gamecube and N64, and the notoriety of said series exists today.

Maybe my definitions of success and failure are a little more open ended.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe in the specific sales section yes. But remember Nintendo live in their own little bubble where sales aren't the biggest importance on their mind. Several huge game series were pushed forward or created on the Gamecube and N64, and the notoriety of said series exists today.

Maybe my definitions of success and failure are a little more open ended.

I'm just looking at it from a business perspective here. Both were financial failures; that can not be denied.

When I talk about the Wii U being doomed to failure, I don't mean it won't have good games. It absolutely will. I'm not fond of Mario, but his games are still extremely polished and well designed. Zelda U's going to eventually come out, the mainline 3D Mario that actually matters will be coming out at some point, and so forth. I'll probably get one later on down the line when it's super cheap so I can play X. 

But then again, the Dreamcast got some absolutely amazing games as well. I loved my Dreamcast, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a colossal failure.

I'm just talking finances here, that's all. Nintendo is extremely far from doomed, but I see no way how the Wii U won't be.

In more depressing Wii U and third-party news

hure.png

And EB Games Canada isn't the only one listing this as the price, unlike the Rayman Legends fiasco.

hure.png

And EB Games Canada isn't the only one listing this as the price, unlike the Rayman Legends fiasco.

Oh my fucking god.

Why.

No. Seriously. Why. What's the excuse for this? Is this more NOT THE SAME GAME NOT THE SAME CONTRENRISDFLKJASFD bullshit?

Edited by Discoid

It's so that Square and/or Edios can go "WELP, IT DIDN'T SELL ON THE WII U SO WE WON'T SUPPORT IT ANYMORE KTHXBYE"

• Thumbs Up 1

hure.png

This is so flippin' stupid...

It's so that Square and/or Edios can go "WELP, IT DIDN'T SELL ON THE WII U SO WE WON'T SUPPORT IT ANYMORE KTHXBYE"

Hm... maybe it's to make more money off the lower attach rate? 

I mean, it's common knowledge that games like that don't really sell on Nintendo systems, and the Wii U's population is already abysmally low as is? I dunno, it sucks, but that makes sense, I suppose.

Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall, because this is not even close to being the full list.

Nintendo has given gaming, off the top of my head:

• The D-Pad (NES)
  • The standard face button layout - A,B,X,Y (SNES)
  • Shoulder buttons (SNES)
  • Analog Stick (N64)
  • Touch controls (DS)
  • 4-player local multiplayer (Technically, the NES had it first via an adaptor, but became standard with the N64)
  • Multi-screen systems (DS, Wii U)
  • Playing handheld games on a console (SNES via Super Game Boy)
  • Motion controls (Wii, or NES with the Power Glove if you want to be picky about it)
  • Connecting handhelds and consoles (Gamecube+GBA)
  • 3D without glasses (3DS, even if the execution is debatable, but the 3DS' 3D is perfectly fine, better than with glasses, at least)

And I'm probably missing others, but you're giving Nintendo far too little credit. Pretty much most of the modern standard gamepad is entirely based on Nintendo's stuff.

I hope you're missing others, because about half of those weren't actually things Nintendo "gave" to gaming; instead mostly being split up between Sega and Atari.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope you're missing others, because about half of those weren't actually things Nintendo "gave" to gaming; instead mostly being split up between Sega and Atari.

That argument already came and went.

• Thumbs Up 1

That argument already came and went.

This entire line of overstatements discussion about how awesomely innovative Nintendo has been to gaming when half of the things they are claimed to do they didn't actually do first has been made in this exact thread before. I know for a fact that the "N64 introduced analog sticks first" song and dance has come up multiple times, yet people still keep bringing it up as if it is that straightforward of a thing that Nintendo did (Atari did it first; and even if you don't count the 5200, Nintendo beat Sega to the market by two weeks, so it hardly means anything anyway since they were obviously both working on it at the same time). The only difference from the previous times was that I wasn't at work then.

So what's your point?

• Thumbs Up 1

A]  People should be trying to avoid locking this topic into an endless cycle of dumb arguments.

B]  I literally just read through this particular argument, like, within the past hour or so.  If you absolutely must have that argument again, couldn't you at least hold off for a day or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

A]  People should be trying to avoid locking this topic into an endless cycle of dumb arguments.

Think you should direct that to the people who brought it up in the first place. It certainly didn't seem to be a problem then, based on the reception it got when Shirou Emiya posted it.

B]  I literally just read through this particular argument, like, within the past hour or so.  If you absolutely must have that argument again, couldn't you at least hold off for a day or something?

And I'm supposed to care that your SSMB schedule doesn't line up with my work schedule, and therefore I can't respond to a post that was posted while I was away because it (apparently) inconveniences you to see it?

I seriously am at loss here why, in any case. If you're bitching that I dared to respond to a post made before I got home, I can't imagine me waiting until tomorrow to respond would make you any happier.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2