Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

ITT: Nobody can read.

Anyways, isn't E3 full of paid dance performances and hours of wonderbook footage? How exciting...

Have to say I'm pretty saddened by the news; though, its not going to be that important to me in like... 30 minutes or something. XD I'm definitely going to miss the hype that this press conference usually brings but if it means more time spent on actual software (and god please don't spend the majority of it talking about Wii Sports Fit Electric Boogalo 4 U or something) then all power to it. At the end of the day, as long as they remind me why I brought this system and get me excited to play it then I'll be more than happy. SSB is still probably going to steal the show though.

As long as they hold up that talk about having Nintendo Direct conferences around the E3 period, than it doesn't really matter if they have a large scale event or not. we'll be getting the same information... in a streamlined manner no less.

• Thumbs Up 2

ITT: Nobody can read.

Anyways, isn't E3 full of paid dance performances and hours of wonderbook footage? How exciting...

They obviously bank on the paid dance performances. You know, to show that they're hip and all that.

• Thumbs Up 3

B-BUT, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY NINTENDO E3 CONFERENCE BINGO WITHOUT A NINTENDO CONFERENCE?!!!?!

Whatevs.  If we get smaller Nintendo Direct-like events in its place, then it's cool.  Those things generate damn near unfathomable amounts of hype for me and they're about half as long.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Considering the Nintendo Directs are better than most E3 shows (even Nintendo's own shows) 9 out of 10 times, I really don't mind this. E3 hasn't been amazing in years.

The only thing I'll miss is meme-worthy unveils, like the one with "Non-Specific Action Figure."

• Thumbs Up 4

Very smart move from Nintendo, keeping the game reveals and the sales and statistics separate. Honestly, when they have Nintendo Direct, E3 is becoming more and more irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't know what to thing about this at first. I was like "BUT E3!" then I realized, when I thought about it...E3 is crap. There was a time that it seemed to be more about the latest creation and the newest games, but it's slowly but surely become a conference that's entirely about the industry patting itself on the back and catering to investors rather than actually giving great gaming news. I haven't had nearly as much excitement from E3 as I did the smaller conferences and things like Nintendo Direct. People will argue whether it's a good move for Nintendo, but it's definitely a good move for us. No more wasting time on talking up the brand to us, instead they do that in private and then sit us down and talk to us about what they have in store. This Year of Luigi seems to already be a good indicator of what Nintendo wants to do, and I have to say I can't ever remember being this excited so many times.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm saddened by the news, but if they're going to dish out their E3 news using Nintendo Direct, then that's fine.

Eh, I think they're making a rather stupid decision by cancelling the press conference  Not as many people know about Nintendo Direct (unless they make a BIG advertising push about it) so not as many people will know about the new games. Also, promising a conference with all this hype, and then not delivering is going to piss a lot of people off, therefore losing sales. I know they are still gonna show the games but.......people were expecting their conference, and not delivering is gonna piss them off. 

IDK, in some ways it's a smart decision, and in some ways it's dumb

All I know is their hype-filled conference will be sorely missed this year. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I find it, frankly astonishing that the reaction to this is, "Well E3 was crap anyway, Nintendo Direct is way better".

Its cool that Nintendo want to show off their stuff to investors more directly. However, I'd rather they do that AND hold at least some kind of conference, to show off stuff about the upcoming Wii U titles to gamers on a larger stage with a little extra hype. I doesn't matter to me if Sony and MS overshadow Nintendo with their new consoles, its still generally enjoyable, and if Nintendo can show off a diverse pool of games for their console, then they ain't gonna be overshadowed by anyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, it's kind of pissing me off that a few people are making spontaneous judgements without reading the article properly, so here's a list of bullet points with the important details:

• Nintendo are not doing a large-scale event for E3, rather, they are doing smaller-scale events for gamers, the press, investors and distributors, respectively.
  • While making their Nintendo Direct videos and putting them up, Nintendo paid close attention to what people were watching, and figured out that, obviously, some people want different information than others. Basically, they finally figured out that gamers don't give two shits about the statistics they pull out every year, which are aimed at investors and analysts instead.
  • As a result, they're hosting smaller-scale events at E3 for different audiences, so us gamers can watch the stuff that we want to see rather than having to trudge through the crap that we get bored with every year, while investors, analysts and the press get the stuff they want as well separately  Everyone wins.
  • Nintendo don't have any hardware to launch, so they're focusing entirely on software.

TL;DR: The only thing that's really changing is that Nintendo are splitting up the big conference into more focused events, so gamers can cut out the crap and focus on the stuff they want to see. More content for gamers, less boring filler.

I really don't see the problem with this. Considering how successful and excellent the Nintendo Directs have been (far more than any of the last couple E3s, that's for sure), more focused events in exchange for not putting the whole thing up on a big stage sounds fantastic to me.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 6

Eh, I think they're making a rather stupid decision by cancelling the press conference  Not as many people know about Nintendo Direct (unless they make a BIG advertising push about it) so not as many people will know about the new games. Also, promising a conference with all this hype, and then not delivering is going to piss a lot of people off, therefore losing sales. I know they are still gonna show the games but.......people were expecting their conference, and not delivering is gonna piss them off. 

IDK, in some ways it's a smart decision, and in some ways it's dumb

All I know is their hype-filled conference will be sorely missed this year. 

A press conference was never announced/promised for this year, just expected. 

well, how do most people find out about E3 conferences? They go on the internet, they look for links.

This time, instead of being linked to a big conference, they'll be directed to an NDirect instead. It's.. not a big deal, finding the way there will be exactly the same, no one who normally found and watched Nintendo conferences will be alienated when it's just as easy if not easier to access NDirect.

Okay, it's kind of pissing me off that a few people are making spontaneous judgements without reading the article properly, so here's a list of bullet points with the important details:

• Nintendo are not doing a large-scale event for E3, rather, they are doing smaller-scale events for gamers, the press, investors and distributors, respectively.
  • While making their Nintendo Direct videos and putting them up, Nintendo paid close attention to what people were watching, and figured out that, obviously, some people want different information than others. Basically, they finally figured out that gamers don't give two shits about the statistics they pull out every year, which are aimed at investors and analysts instead.
  • As a result, they're hosting smaller-scale events at E3 for different audiences, so us gamers can watch the stuff that we want to see rather than having to trudge through the crap that we get bored with every year, while investors, analysts and the press get the stuff they want as well separately  Everyone wins.
  • Nintendo don't have any hardware to launch, so they're focusing entirely on software.

TL;DR: The only thing that's really changing is that Nintendo are splitting up the big conference into more focused events, so gamers can cut out the crap and focus on the stuff they want to see. More content for gamers, less boring filler.

I really don't see the problem with this. Considering how successful and excellent the Nintendo Directs have been (far more than any of the last couple E3s, that's for sure), more focused events in exchange for not putting the whole thing up on a big stage sounds fantastic to me.

So wait, there will still be a conference, just a shorter one just for gamers? That's what I get from this.  

A press conference was never announced/promised for this year, just expected. 

They clearly said that the Wii U Mario game, Mario kart U, and Smash Bros 4 would be shown at their E3 conference in a Nintendo Direct.

They clearly said that the Wii U Mario game, Mario kart U, and Smash Bros 4 would be shown at their E3 conference in a Nintendo Direct.

They said at E3, I don't believe they mentioned a conference.

E3 isn't just conferences, it's an expo with booths and stuff.

They said at E3, I don't believe they mentioned a conference.

E3 isn't just conferences, it's an expo with booths and stuff.

I swear they mentioned a conference........ maybe I don't remember correctly. 

I could be wrong but, as far as I'm aware they said they'd show the games "At E3" or something to that effect.

If I am wrong then fair enough on your part tho :(

I definitely don't remember Iwata being that specific. He only said 'at E3'. In our minds, that usually means 'at a conference'.

It's an unorthodox approach as far as 'standard industry wisdom' goes, but this is the company that abandoned the hardware arms race in favor of different approaches to gaming, so, yeah. But this is an approach I like a lot, we've gotten a lot out of the Nintendo Direct videos. They started out a bit awkwardly, but they've been getting much better over time, and pretty much fill the purpose of an E3 conference without the boring filler.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

At first I was like

35921841.jpg

But when I read the rest I was like

joffrey-lean-back-game-of-thrones.gif

Huh. On one hand it's good because then we get more games and less of the boring ol' statistics bullcrap. But on the other hand, I feel the hype will not be as...well, big. But if the smaller conference is more like Nintendo Direct, then count me in!

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yes, seems I overreacted initially because I did not know the full story. I'm fine with Nintendo essentially splitting up their conference for 2 audiences (one for the gamers and one for the investors). It means less BS for us and less BS for the investors so everyone wins. All they need to do now is generate enough hype for the gamer's one and we're good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The article doesn't mention any conferences for gamers. They're going to do smaller "events" for the media and their partners, while using Nintendo Direct to bring announcements to the public.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo are still going to be at E3, have a show floor of games with demos for almost everything that was announced and presumably have booths. There was no beating around it, Mario U and Mario Kart 8 will be playable there, which was exactly what Iwata said, not that they would have a conference.

• Thumbs Up 9