Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Screw the box art... let's look at the Nintendo Network logo at the top right of the game.

Online?

Edited by Autosaver

I'm like 90% sure I saw purple and white Pikmin in recently revealed gameplay footage from a little while back.. but I guess they're not good enough to be on the boxart anymore!

I'm like 90% sure I saw purple and white Pikmin in recently revealed gameplay footage from a little while back.. but I guess they're not good enough to be on the boxart anymore!

Could just be a bit of rock Pikmin. If you compare new art to old art, you'll see that for some reason they changed their skin from grey to white. 

May I just say that both Toki Tori 2 and Runner 2 are excellent little eShop titles - highly recommended and lots of fun. Toki Tori 2 is simple, addicting, and at times very very challenging (but the kind of challenging where you want to keep on trying and feel an immense sense of achievement when you finally succeed), whilst Runner 2 is just absolutely bonkers mayhem and I love it.

Erm...that's pretty much true for ALL electronic entertainment media, because that particular industry doesn't work like the others.

Erm...that's pretty much true for ALL electronic entertainment media, because that particular industry doesn't work like the others.

Remind me not to invite you to parties.

tongue.png

So, a few weeks ago, we switched ISPs to Sky. Recently, I’ve noticed that my Wii U seems to disconnect from the Internet both frequently and randomly. 

However, everything else (laptop, 3DS, phone, 360, Roku) isn’t having this problem at all; it’s literally just the Wii U, so I don’t think it’s a problem with the Internet itself. Similarly, the Wii U never had this problem (aside from the odd random disconnect due to network errors) on my old ISP (Virgin), so I don’t think there’s an issue with the console, either.

Admittedly, the Sky hub is a bit further away than our old router used to be (it’s in a different room on another floor, whereas before it was two rooms away on the same floor), but again, everything else is still able to connect just fine without interruption, even when moved further from the hub than the Wii U is. Also, when checking the connection in the Wii U settings, it’s still getting decent (if not full) signal.

The only thing I can think of is that we might need to try switching Wi-Fi channels on the hub, but we can’t do this just yet since it would require a restart, and Sky have told us to leave it running for ten days straight to settle in. I’ll give this a shot once I can and fingers crossed it’ll work, but in the meantime;

Is anyone else here on Sky broadband, and have any of you had this same problem of random disconnects (regardless of your ISP)? Any ideas on what the cause might be, and how to stop it?

So, a few weeks ago, we switched ISPs to Sky. Recently, I’ve noticed that my Wii U seems to disconnect from the Internet both frequently and randomly. 

However, everything else (laptop, 3DS, phone, 360, Roku) isn’t having this problem at all; it’s literally just the Wii U, so I don’t think it’s a problem with the Internet itself. Similarly, the Wii U never had this problem (aside from the odd random disconnect due to network errors) on my old ISP (Virgin), so I don’t think there’s an issue with the console, either.

Admittedly, the Sky hub is a bit further away than our old router used to be (it’s in a different room on another floor, whereas before it was two rooms away on the same floor), but again, everything else is still able to connect just fine without interruption, even when moved further from the hub than the Wii U is. Also, when checking the connection in the Wii U settings, it’s still getting decent (if not full) signal.

The only thing I can think of is that we might need to try switching Wi-Fi channels on the hub, but we can’t do this just yet since it would require a restart, and Sky have told us to leave it running for ten days straight to settle in. I’ll give this a shot once I can and fingers crossed it’ll work, but in the meantime;

Is anyone else here on Sky broadband, and have any of you had this same problem of random disconnects (regardless of your ISP)? Any ideas on what the cause might be, and how to stop it?

I use Sky broadband and I have not had any issues with random disconnections. If you are having issues with it, get a Wii U LAN adapter is you want to more reliable USB internet.

The Wii U and the 3DS also have this weird thing where they suddenly are not properly recognized by the router anymore. The best way to prevent this is to use a static IP, but you can also fix it generally by just refreshing the router settings and checking to make sure everything is correct on your Wii U.

Yeah, I did notice that my new hub/ router has a dynamic IP. Can that be changed to a static one?

Do you think that could be the cause? The Wii U literally keeps finding and losing the connection, sometimes several times in very quick succession.

EDIT: Just looked into it and I'm not sure Sky have static IP addresses. So you reckon just restarting the router should normally help? (bearing in mind I can't try that for about another week in my current situation)

Edited by -Mark-

I think the issue is assigning a static IP to the wii specifically, not to your internet connection to your house. Thjis should be done inside your router via DHCP or the Wii U itself, and not involve your ISP at all. 

So does the Sky modem have wireless capabilities or do you have a wireless router? If you have a wireless router, it should have a tied IP address for itself. What you need, in order to set up a static IP for your Wii U, is your router's IP, the subnet mask, and the DNS settings. Sometimes, just fiddling with the settings can suddenly make the Wii U and a router get a long together again, though.

The Wii U Stories commercials!

3rd one: 

"I was like whhhhhhhoooaaaa look at this Wii U!"

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

One thing I noticed is that those were uploaded like 10 days ago, and yet no one noticed them til just now? A+ Marketing as usual Nintendo (not)

If these aired regularly on TV, they might be onto something, but nah.

You want those type of commercials aired on TV?

I much much preferred the "Wii Would Like to Play" commercials they did for the Wii. Can't they do something similar? 

I'd like that kind of extensive campaign too, maybe they're saving money by not putting out these cheap ads in favour of biding time for a really big impressive thingymajig instead.

But as long as they're doing something.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/402393/blog/never-count-nintendo-out-3ds-push-shows-wii-u-wont-go-quietly/

There are still some issues with the handheld market, of course, from the fairly poor third-party support to the questions hanging over Sony's PS Vita. But Nintendo has once again proven that it understands its own market much better than the doubters have.

Which brings me to the Wii U. Regulars at CVG might be aware that I talk down the console's chances in the most definitive language possible whenever asked. Well, from the things I'm hearing, there's a chance I'll soon be added to the reject bin of crazy talking twitter twonks pretty soon.

Hopefully, if we obtain further details from our sources, we'll be in a position to explain more to you soon. But, for now, put it this way: In the past two years there have been moments of disquiet regarding the 3DS and - like an instant magic trick - Nintendo has put an end to this with sudden reveals of significant games that went on to become star performers at Christmas.

This is coming from Rob Crossley, who is rather known for talking down the Wii U on his Twitter. A lot.

And from Emily Roger's Twitter...

Emily Rogers ‏@Emi1yRogers

Here's a hint without giving anything away. There may come a time in the future when owning both a Wii U and 3DS will become beneficial.

I believe E3 will be a very good E3 for Wii U. Thankfully its only 1 and a half months away.

When it comes to eShop/VC, I think you'll see some features in future firmware updates that people really want before end of this year.

One of these features will make you happy to own those games. smile.png RT "@doubleD215 I don't want features. Just give me the games! "

Nintendo looking at possibly to bring back gifting, do a feature where some of your Wii U VC games can be playable on 3DS, and vice versa.

For the record, I didn't say the VC/eShop thingy was an E3 thing. That E3 tweet is not related to the other tweets.

oTqRi.gif

What do they know that we don't

• Thumbs Up 7