Awoo.

Gameplay Trailer for Sonic Generations

ChikaBoing

Well it's up to you guys to determine what warrants discussion. Because from what I've seen in this topic, most people apparently don't think that purple rocks are worth mentioning in the first place. You can talk about them all day if you like, but the replies I've seen are just flat-out ridiculous, as they're laden with ridicule and, in later cases, just image posts. This isn't what discussion should stoop to on these forums.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not like people 'stoop to' it on a regular basis. Sometimes people just want to have a sense of humor...? I'm really not trying to sound sarcastic here by the way. I'm just saying.

Wow you guys, I'm thinking a rule crackdown is going to be in order if this is the way these threads are going to turn out. Recently we've been getting many reports over things going on in the generations forums, hence why I made the topic reminding everyone of the rules. Now I come in here and this is what I see.

I really don't want to do this because I like so many of you, but I think I have to hand out some strikes because of this. There was not a single report made of any of this, and even after Sean told people to get back on topic he was ignored and the posts after were even more blantently derailing the thread. It upsets me a bit because most of you guys here /know/ the rules, and are acting like you're so blatantly above them.

Some of the saddest losses we've had on this forum have come from having to ban longtime members (even former mods) who let their egos get to their head and thought that they could get away with anything. Please don't let that happen to you.

I haven't fully decided what sanctions to take here, but in general get ready for some harsher reprimands in the generations topics. I know that it might seem like a bit of an over-reaction to this, but high volume of reports, and the even higher volume of stuff I'm finding that goes unreported shows that things aren't working out right now.

After this things need to get back on topic. If you have any comments/concerns send me a PM, or the

• Thumbs Up 1

DC111, did I not just say things need to get back on topic? Don't test me and don't post anymore here that isn't on topic.

I said up there that any comments and concerns could be directed towards my PM box or in the topic I linked. I really don't like being ignored after I made this pretty clear in my last post.

Anyone else who doesn't listen can expect a strike.

• Thumbs Up 3

alrighty, to get things rolling again, I have a question.

I am by no means a sonic physics expert. I understand the classic physics are different from say, sonic rush/sonic 4, those games, and I understand mostly why. I also prefer the classic physics, as do most.

My question is to those who know more about sonic physics than I do, how do you think after seeing the gameplay trailer and other vids, that the physics in classic sonic stages are going to be? what are the subtle/not so subtle differences from classic physics?

alrighty, to get things rolling again, I have a question.

I am by no means a sonic physics expert. I understand the classic physics are different from say, sonic rush/sonic 4, those games, and I understand mostly why. I also prefer the classic physics, as do most.

My question is to those who know more about sonic physics than I do, how do you think after seeing the gameplay trailer and other vids, that the physics in classic sonic stages are going to be? what are the subtle/not so subtle differences from classic physics?

Sonic doesn't have a jump rebound akin to the classics where he'll bounce up the the height he fell from if the player keeps a hold of the jump button. Instead he always bounces to the same height, just like Sonic 4. If means you can have enemy chains without homing (like the one before the first S-tunnel in GHZ). Not necessarily a bad change, speed runners might not like it though.

Jumping looks heavier than in the classics.

You can't turn around in mid-air very easily. This is a problem for control, and even proved itself to be annoying in Unleashed/Colours 2D sections. You can see this is the case with the last springs C.Sonic hits in the extended gameplay video. It should be fixed because it heavily impairs movement while in the air.

Not physics related, but it's a change. You can now just walk onto springs instead of jump on them. Lame, but not important change.

It would appear that the friction is set quite high when rolling. This was a problem in S4.

Edited by Blue Blood

Sonic doesn't have a jump rebound akin to the classics where he'll bounce up the the height he fell from if the player keeps a hold of the jump button. Instead he always bounces to the same height, just like Sonic 4. If means you can have enemy chains without homing (like the one before the first S-tunnel in GHZ). Not necessarily a bad change, speed runners might not like it though.

K, so I just played through emerald hill in sonic 2 to get some things to compare the trailer to. as far as jump height goes, I definitely notice a difference in bounce height relative to falling height before hitting the enemy. However, I didn't notice a difference with regard to actually holding down the jump button or not, but I trust that it makes a difference? Anyways, we've only seen 2 bounces in c. sonic's gameplay from the extended gameplay vid. Can you really tell from those two bounces that all bounces will be the same height? He never fell a long way to then bounce off an enemy, ya know?

This I agree with after playing through a classic level and watching the video again.

I have noted that he does instantly turn around mid-air in the classics. However, does that actually change movement while in air? Doesn't he move the same amount left or right per directional-button push regardless of whether he is actually facing left/right?

Where is this apparent in the video? I've watched it like, 3 times looking for this alone, and can't see an instance of it.

Again, didn't see an instance of this either. I agree it was a HUGE problem in S4, one of the reasons the game felt broken to me. Yet it looks to work rather well in Generations from what I can tell.

I'm feeling too tired to break up the quotes right now....

• Yeah, you really can tell all the bounces will be the same height. In the classic games you can't use enemies as stepping stone like that because Sonic won't bounce higher than the height he fell from.
  • Yup, slightly heavier jump.
  • It's not so much the fact he doesn't turn around that he's heavier and can't move so freely. Making him turn around would make things a little clearer.
  • He hits an upsidedown spring shortly after the 30 second mark in the extended footage. In the Gamespot interview with Ruby there's some more footage that shows Sonic hitting an upwards spring simply by touching it.
  • End of the video, Sonic does a spindash before entering the the two loops and corkscrew. He loses more speed than you'd except him to by the second loop. (Can't say for sure however)

While there are differences from the classic style, none of them so far look like they're going to be big problems at all. The game doesn't have to play like a carbon copy of 1 through K if it still plays well, and so far it looks like it's going to play brilliantly.

Edited by Blue Blood

To add to that, if they use colours programming for Classic Sonic, you could, much like in colours hold the Jump Button while Bouncing on an enemy and it would send you flying pretty high, higher (I think about double the height) than a normal bounce would. Granted it would still be a set height, but the fact that you could bounce higher if you hold the Jump Button in colours gives me a lot of confidence that they did their homework, well, at least a bit! ^^

What interests me the most though is, besides the spindash losing momentum rather quickly (could probably come from scripted parts of the level or so, dunno), is that in no video of the game in action so far, anybody has rolled into a ball on a slope just by pushing down on the Control Stick/D-Pad, it seems like you`ll only be able to roll when doing the spindash, which is not a big deal to me, but would still be kind of a bummer. Maybe they just haven't shown it off yet?

To add to that, if they use colours programming for Classic Sonic, you could, much like in colours hold the Jump Button while Bouncing on an enemy and it would send you flying pretty high, higher (I think about double the height) than a normal bounce would. Granted it would still be a set height, but the fact that you could bounce higher if you hold the Jump Button in colours gives me a lot of confidence that they did their homework, well, at least a bit! ^^

What interests me the most though is, besides the spindash losing momentum rather quickly (could probably come from scripted parts of the level or so, dunno), is that in no video of the game in action so far, anybody has rolled into a ball on a slope just by pushing down on the Control Stick/D-Pad, it seems like you`ll only be able to roll when doing the spindash, which is not a big deal to me, but would still be kind of a bummer. Maybe they just haven't shown it off yet?

The video's we've been shown is stock footage of a SEGA rep just going very quickly. The press has played it, but they haven't shown any of their own footage (probably because they were shit at it the first time around)

I really can't wait until the show floor demos at various expos and cons that will have people be terrible at the game through a lousy cam feed before writing the game off as bad.

I really can't wait until the show floor demos at various expos and cons that will have people be terrible at the game through a lousy cam feed before writing the game off as bad.

Yeah I can't wait until I shoot footage at Gamex either! :D

I can't wait until Sonic Boom and all the fans get to post their impressions on the game. Also, predicting that almost everyone will choose to play as C.Sonic if there's only time for one level :P

I can't wait until Sonic Boom and all the fans get to post their impressions on the game. Also, predicting that almost everyone will choose to play as C.Sonic if there's only time for one level :P

hopefully there will be plenty of footage to go around ala Sonic Colors.

hopefully there will be plenty of footage to go around ala Sonic Colors.

I'm just hoping that since this is a fan expo, we'll actually get some footage of decent players, with people's thoughts on the game to go with it. :D

"This cave were're in here shows an important part of the design philosophy..."

*Player randomly dies*

XD <-me

You mean you genuinely would want to watch a DVD over playing a game you just payed 40 odd quid for? I don't think we quite see eye to eye.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait I get to actually post soemthing new about the game? YES! Here it is, Sonic Gen, Classic sonic playthrough AND Modern sonic gameplay.. Yeah it's GHZ, but he even takes a slightly different path compared (Classic sonic) to other videos. And modern sonic DIES!! & later takes a alternate path.

Classic sonic

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/classic-style-walkthrough/714050

Modern sonic

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/modern-style-sonic-generations/714052

Edited by Eternal Awesomeness

Wait I get to actually post soemthing new about the game? YES! Here it is, Sonic Gen, Classic sonic playthrough AND Modern sonic gameplay.. Yeah it's GHZ, but he even takes a slightly different path compared (Classic sonic) to other videos. And modern sonic DIES!! & later takes a alternate path.

Classic sonic

<Video>

Modern sonic

<Video>

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted in the preview thread already. ^^

Edited by Eternal Awesomeness

• 4 weeks later...

Bump! Sorry for the double post. Just dropping off LOADS of videos and or links to videos.

City escape modern (Gamespot) G.U.N. TRUCK

CE Classic with more G.U.N. TRUCK

City escape Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKx0xWXwprA

GHZ at Sonic boom with Spin dash drift.

Woah that's was a lot of stuff. Good thing we don't havee to dig through that long 90 page topic anymore. Can we PLEASE post videos here so they don't get lost in topics anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously this could be the best Sonic game yet.

It looks like all new level layouts, just with our favourite level themes. With both Classic gameplay/Physics with updated graphics AND the Unleashed style.

This. Just...this.

The trailers and gameplay footage look amazing, and the whole idea of classic Sonic meets new Sonic is pure genius. Can't wait to get this game when it comes out. Which, BTW, I thought this would come out on Sonic's birthday, but I guess not. Oh well, still can't wait to play it.

The E3 City Escape trailer is now up on XBL. :D The cool thing is, it seems to be running at 60 FPS.

Edited by MobileChikane