Awoo.

Gameplay Trailer for Sonic Generations

ChikaBoing

And Sonic and the Black Knight would be...

A test to see if people still hated other characters?

Blah...just Secret Rings with a sword.

I forgot about this for a bit.

0.jpg

Oh look, a rock. Its sole purpose is to force me to jump. In a platformer. What a travesty.

In all seriousness, not really seeing the big deal here. It stops the place from becoming one great big flat boostspam surface (or spindash-spam, whichever case it may be), so as long as the flow consists of more than running, I'd say it's doing its job just fine.

Yes I know it's a romhack shut up

What's with the muddy pallet on the crab meat? Doesn't Mecha Sonic have red in his feet as well?

It actually has the properties of an object rather than just an obstacle. It also might be there to make sure the crab meat doesn't go too far to the right. The tripping hazard doesn't really do anything to make it not a boost spam section, it just throws in a pointless button press. You jump over the rock because you want to get to the other side to cross the bridge*, the rock barely even qualifies as a jump. It's just a button press.

*Yasuhara likes using bridges as short-term goals, and I can dig up a Gamasutra interview to prove it

So the one time there's actual platforming in 3D, people complain? This sort of thing is why I'm not giving much thought to the arguments against the Unleashed formula nowadays.

I wouldn't really call it platforming considering that it isn't a platform. It's also not in the middle of going fast. It's very similar to the Turbo Tunnel level from Battletoads, only it doesn't kill you.

I saw before I even went down the slope...its called paying the fuck attention instead being wowed by whats around you...or how about this.....

The environment here seems to be getting tricky....maybe I should NOT BOOST since this is my first time playing the fucking level!

That's some impressive clairvoyance there, considering that the the purple bit is obscured by the (also pointless) narrow space until you've begun your decent.

Here's an idea, get over it. It's a rock. Remember to jump over it next time. Life goes on.

This isn't the only place it's going to be, you know. These superfluous little bits are going to be all throughout the game.

So wait, do people actually look at this little stumbling block and think, "Yes, that's a good thing to put there, that adds to the experience".

• Thumbs Up 4

This isn't the only place it's going to be, you know. These superfluous little bits are going to be all throughout the game.

So wait, do people actually look at this little stumbling block and think, "Yes, that's a good thing to put there, that adds to the experience".

Its not like it takes away from the experience.

Jeez.

Anyway, we've started looking too much at the finer details, which is a sign that we've been starved of new information/screenshots.

What's with the muddy pallet on the crab meat? Doesn't Mecha Sonic have red in his feet as well?
It's a jpg. Blame lossy file compression.

It actually has the properties of an object rather than just an obstacle.
Yet they still achieve a near identical end result, with the exception that the former brings you to a complete stop if you don't jump in time.

The tripping hazard doesn't really do anything to make it not a boost spam section
Except encourage an action that isn't boost spamming, and mildly punishing the player for boost spamming blindly. Again, no different from the former, except replace "boost spamming" with "hold right-ing".

Not necessarily, but it's of such little consequence that it's really not even worth paying attention to. After the massively heavy automation some levels have gone through in the series, it's not going to hurt anyone to have an excuse to keep on their toes, especially if it isn't even punished by death like Unleashed liked to do far too much for its own good.
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's some impressive clairvoyance there, considering that the the purple bit is obscured by the (also pointless) narrow space until you've begun your decent.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is why its stupid to talk about difficulty because its subjective. Just cause you suck and don't pay attention as well as I do doesn't mean I have the ability to read the fucking future.

Also I wouldn't boost in that section my first play through...you know cause I'm not a complete total retard.

@BL: WHY DID YOU TAKE MY PURPLE ROCKS AWAY D::::::::

this whole post...lol

jk86xe.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

It actually has the properties of an object rather than just an obstacle. It also might be there to make sure the crab meat doesn't go too far to the right. The tripping hazard doesn't really do anything to make it not a boost spam section, it just throws in a pointless button press. You jump over the rock because you want to get to the other side to cross the bridge*, the rock barely even qualifies as a jump. It's just a button press.

So... you're upset... that you have to press buttons... in a game?

Y'know, perhaps you oughta just put on a DVD or something. You'd only have to press 'play' then, and you'd be golden.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yet they still achieve a near identical end result, with the exception that the former brings you to a complete stop if you don't jump in time.

Except encourage an action that isn't boost spamming, and mildly punishing the player for boost spamming blindly. Again, no different from the former, except replace "boost spamming" with "hold right-ing".

Not necessarily, but it's of such little consequence that it's really not even worth paying attention to. After the massively heavy automation some levels have gone through in the series, it's not going to hurt anyone to have an excuse to keep on their toes, especially if it isn't even punished by death like Unleashed liked to do far too much for its own good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd much rather them deal with automation by using something more interesting than a thing that people keep telling me I should really just ignore.

Automation isn't the problem here. We both know fully well that Unleashed's gameplay and by extention Generations' gameplay isn't automated.

They just added a reflex obstacle, its not that big of a deal. Unleashed had them, so did Colours. They don't harm the game in any way, so why bother complaining about them.

Ad hominem will get you nowhere.

It's a completely superfluous un-challenge.

It makes not an ounce of difference to the stage. It may not add anything, but it doesn't take anything away either. Its entirely possible it could be removed for all we know. We've been fed nothing by stock footage, of an ALPHA build for the past month or so.

Jeez, we are taking every little detail and assessing whether it has any deep gameplay value.

Who the fuck cares? Its something in a game, you have to dodge, there shouldn't be a need for any deep logical reason for it to exist, its an obstacle, so avoid it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd much rather them deal with automation by using something more interesting than a thing that people keep telling me I should really just ignore.

Ad hominem will get you nowhere.

It's a completely superfluous un-challenge.

I'm sorry, I think I'm missing something. We're still talking about purple shit? I thought we got over that a few pages ago. o -o

Look, the whole thing is to challenge speed runners to memorize the levels. Not a speed runner? Then shut the fuck up. Please. This is getting old. All it does is slow you down slightly. Get the fuck over it. Or better yet, press the jump button. It's not hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, I think I'm missing something. We're still talking about purple shit? I thought we got over that a few pages ago. o -o

Look, the whole thing is to challenge speed runners to memorize the levels. Not a speed runner? Then shut the fuck up. Please. This is getting old. All it does is slow you down slightly. Get the fuck over it. Or better yet, press the jump button. It's not hard.

The bad thing is not that this has been made an issue. The bad thing is that this has been made an issue nearly 20 years after the fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

foxOnly01.png

STOP! This is no way to play a Sonic game!

foxOnly02.png

No loops, rocks or background objects.

foxOnly03.png

Sonic only.

foxOnly04.png

Final Destination.

Sorry, couldn't resist. XD

You sir just have won this thread

• Thumbs Up 1

4ilizk.jpg

I swear if any of you hotlink my images again I am going to delete this and you will be sad.

This really made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get back on topic. This isn't the place to bitch about rocks. And on that note, it isn't where you can wildly careen discussion elsewhere. You should probably give Pelly's recent rules topic another read:

Please do not get sucked into rule breaking yourself when you should in fact be reporting. We tend to be harsher on people who feed the fire.

If you're not going to report, then try making an effort to get things back on track yourselves.

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get back on topic. This isn't the place to bitch about rocks. And on that note, it isn't where you can wildly careen discussion elsewhere. You should probably give Pelly's recent rules topic another read:

If you're not going to report, then try making an effort to get things back on track yourselves.

Sean, why must your avatars be so Goddamn cute?

Sean, why must your avatars be so Goddamn cute?

I'm kinda annoyed by it...

Edited by ChikaBoing