Awoo.

Gameplay Trailer for Sonic Generations

ChikaBoing

I wouldn't say non-linear, but more open; more room to move around in.

classicspeedbooster.png

Can't wait to hear complaints about this.

Also the trailer was epic, especially dat robo.

Edited by Jetronic

classicspeedbooster.png

Can't wait to hear complaints about this.

It's a chase sequence, so that justifies it somewhat. And Generations uses scripted ramps, so they had to make sure Sonic will be running at the right speed when he hits it. That kind of unjustifies it.

The hot air balloons really make me think of the Olympics (since there will be balloon rides during it in the 2012 season). As I said in the other thread:

Looking at Rooftop Run, is all that celebration in aid of the 2012 Olympics? When the level was first revealed I thought they might have included it for that very reason, especially since it would be a nice little nod to the upcoming Mario and Sonic wagglefest. I know the stage isn't set in London but it does have some elements from it, like the Big Ben-inspired clock tower. Whether that is the reason or not, I'm much more excited for Rooftop Run now. It looks like we're due a proper CGI trailer for it soon.
Edited by Lungo

The hot air balloons really make me think of the Olympics (since there will be balloon rides during it in the 2012 season). As I said in the other thread:

*stuff about olympics*

It's not Big Ben. There are clock towers all over the world.

It's not Big Ben. There are clock towers all over the world.

I'm aware of that, but I was under the impression that Rooftop Run's clock tower was based upon Big Ben. It's a safe assumption considering the tower is one of the most famous buildings in the world, let alone Europe. I've edited my previous post anyway to avoid giving the impression that I think it is our own Big Ben.

Edited by Lungo

Trailers are made to show us what we want to see and be so pleased that we all want to play/buy/download/leak the game so... Why it didn't work here ?

I mean, Seaside Hill looks beautiful and Giant Mech is a great boss (not the Sonic 4 version) but the 90% Unleashed like Roofotp Run and the music ruins everything.

Now, as I've said, Giant Mech is an honorable boss if you fight him fairly (not the by behind tactic) but I hope it means that Robotnik will rise and add a fierce battle in the game 'cause, as we know, sub-bosses are 1000% difficult are pleasant to fight than final bosses so I don't care what the Time Eater will looks like: IT WILL SUCKS !

I agree with Lungo. There are a ton of huge clock towers all over the world, but when someone asks me for an example of a clock tower, what do I first think of?

Big Ben in London, England.

It's safe to say that's the first assumption many people would make worldwide. In my opinion, I usually think of many landmarks as examples of various countries. US being the White House, China being the Great Wall of China, Italy being the Leaning Tower of Pisa, France being the Eiffel Tower, and England, the Big Ben.

Whether or not it was SEGA's intention to represent England by using the Big Ben, it somewhat doesn't matter. It's more-or-less the public media's provocation for all the psychology people have ingrained in their heads, really. XD

Edited by Tatsumaki

*gasps* I had a Fangasm. Game looks fun as hell, and the Robo at the end scared the shit out of me for a second.

Man that Seaside Hill, beautiful, beautiful. Now I have to watch it a second time. There isn't much I can say that no one else said already, really, I can't. The bit from :26 and :47 were more than likely from a cutscene is all I noticed.

So I was watching the trailer with my lil bro (gotta pass on the Sonic) and he was like "Is this the one with baby Sonic?!" *sees classic sonic* "Yay!" Pfft haha.

Well the level is also from Unleashed, which is a game that took aspects and cultures from around the world and united them into one game. It would make sense if that's what's they were aiming for.

Oh, and one more thing (I swear this is the last thing I'll say, I'm too excited!) Spagonia looks much more colorful! Man the vibrancy of this game is just so beautiful (Bagh I said that already!).

After seeing this trailer...if this game doesn't get constant 8.0's - 9.0's, I'll be pissed the hell off with the media of today.

This is by far better than Colours...and that got a 78 on Metacritic. I expect this game to get a score of 80 - 85 on Metacritic.

Edited by KrazyBean14

After seeing this trailer...if this game doesn't get constant 8.0's - 9.0's, I'll be pissed the hell off with the media of today.

This is by far better than Colours...and that got a 78 on Metacritic. I expect this game to get a score of 80 - 85 on Metacritic.

Agreed... If this game can't shake that "Sonic Cycle" and all around negative attitude towards Sonic that the gaming media so persistently holds on to, I seriously don't know what could... The obvious bias in the reviews and comments really piss me off. I wouldn't mind if I ever saw criticism that wasn't so baseless and ignorant, but such is not the case. That's why I like coming here!

Agreed... If this game can't shake that "Sonic Cycle" and all around negative attitude towards Sonic that the gaming media so persistently holds on to, I seriously don't know what could... The obvious bias in the reviews and comments really piss me off. I wouldn't mind if I ever saw criticism that wasn't so baseless and ignorant, but such is not the case. That's why I like coming here!

It looks like IGN really likes Sonic Generations, I hope that they give it a 9.0...I mean they gave Sonic Colours an 8.5! But we all know that Destructoid will give Sonic Generations a 5.5 or some crap like that and say "Classic Sonic is perfect but unfortunately, he's only in half of the game because of Modern Sonic, Modern Sawnik SUX because he's not 2D".

F**king bastards...

The ONLY WAY Sonic Generations can do bad is if the script is EXTREMELY corny with bad voice acting to boot, has some ridiculously HARD difficulty spikes AND if there are a LOT of technical issues (like bad controls and bad framerate...all that jazz). That is IT...if SEGA sorts those out then I don't think that the media can find something to bash. tongue.gif

Edited by KrazyBean14

The ONLY WAY Sonic Generations can do bad is if the script is EXTREMELY corny with bad voice acting to boot, has some ridiculously HARD difficulty spikes AND if there are a LOT of technical issues (like bad controls and bad framerate...all that jazz). That is IT...if SEGA sorts those out then I don't think that the media can find something to bash. tongue.gif

With Roger how can you go wrong? biggrin.gif

It looks like IGN really likes Sonic Generations, I hope that they give it a 9.0...I mean they gave Sonic Colours an 8.5! But we all know that Destructoid will give Sonic Generations a 5.5 or some crap like that and say "Classic Sonic is perfect but unfortunately, he's only in half of the game because of Modern Sonic, Modern Sawnik SUX because he's not 2D".

I hope so...I'll be shocked if this game doesn't score higher then Colors. As much as I like Colors, the game has very little replay value and it got boring fast after I beat the game and unlocked Super Sonic. I like that this game has a lot of content and replayability so I have a reason to keep playing once I beat the main game. Oh, and I'm excited for both Classic and Modern gameplay. The media makes it seems like that Classic Sonic is the only reason why anybody would be interested in the game with all the Modern Sonic bashing, but I'm looking forward to mordern Sonic gameplay slightly more.

Saw it. Seaside Hill looks pretty interesting and *gasp* different than Green Hill, Chemical Plant looks sexy as always, and Rooftop Run has fucking balloons. Oh, is b and the Egg Blimp from Angel Island is back.

i-came.jpg

In all sincerity, I'm pleased, but I hope we get some new areas in Modern Sonic's Rooftop Run, the level design DOES seem a bit.. i dunno, same-ish. Beyond that though, I don't have much to complain about, my fears about Seaside Hill being a Green Hill clone have pretty much been destroyed. In fact, it looks like Adabat and Emerald Coast had a baby.

I hope we get another trailer showcasing Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, and Crisis City/Planet Wisp after this! Minds would melt tongue.gif

Edited by EXshad

Actually Destructoid always talks positive of the game before slamming it. This time there not so exited about it so maybe a bigger score???

• 1 month later...

I've just watched the Dreamcast era stages trailer. I like the way Speed Highway looks, and City Escape looks nifty too, but I'm struggling to understand why Seaside Hill (even a ruiny one) was chosen over other Heroes stages. I mean, I know blue skied colourful stages are great and all, but dammit there are enough already in Generations. Let's have something dramatic like Egg Fleet or different like Hang Castle.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I hope you like a half a dozen freakin' chase sequences! Holding the boost button, so exciting and challenging!

And I hope you like a half a dozen freakin' chase sequences! Holding the boost button, so exciting and challenging!

• Thumbs Up 2

The-boost.jpg

But seriously, I don't think assuming about elements of the game like that when none of us have played the full game or even seen the whole game validates jumping to that conclusion, especially since that assumption is wrong based off what we have seen.

Green Hill- There is a single fish chase that lays a small segment of the stage

Chemical Plant- No Chase scene

Sky Sanctuary- No chase scene seen yet

Speed Highway- Not enough to judge yet

City Escape- A chase scene also involving dodging buzzsaws

Seaside Hill- A wheel platforming chase scene seen in Classic Sonic's stage (who can't boost, I will add)

Rooftop Tun- Angel Island style chase mentioned, and you are chasing the airship in Modern's