Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

On the subject of level design, I always find it sort of curious that people suggest I am "a fan" of the modern Rush/Unleashed style. I actually find Rush KIND of boring, I have to wait a long time between replays to enjoy it fully. Advance 2 I really dig though... not sure what it is but yeah.

But I love the classic games too. Sonic 3 is my favourite, followed by 3 & Knuckles combined, then Sonic 1 then Sonic 2. (Don't care for & Knuckles on it's own... I uhh... found the game too hard to enjoy without being able to stack up lives/emeralds thanks to saving capability, coz I suck lol).

If it sheds any light, maybe it's because my first experiences of Sonic were the Master System games. 2 and then 1. They were quite more linear than the mega drive titles. The next game I'd PROPERLY play apart from occasional 16-bit games at a friend's house was Sonic Adventure 2. I'm sure my love of Unleashed is suddenly less bizarre now I think about what the two most influential Sonic games were for me... Sonic 2 8-bit and Sonic Adventure 2.

As for S-ranks, I just wish there was more respect from the game for completing the stages super fast, because it takes more than boosting to do that in Colours. It takes lightning fast and accurate platforming skills as well as TIGHT control of Wisp powers when they are mandatory.

Instead the S-ranks are sort of a meta puzzle of a different variety. Rather than learning the stage to beat it flawlessly, you learn the stage to work out what are the bits you can exploit to get as many points as possible within the invisible bonus score time limit. It is certainly a challenge, and learning a stage off by heart to beat it flawlessly is no less "outside the game" than this, so I cannot criticise it for that.

But I know which one is more... yes... thrilling, and that's beating a level flawlessly by your own hand in the way Sonic would in a cut-scene.

Edited by JezMM

If you're talking about sonic colors. Not much except for the different way of programming the game, overall art and level design. But together with "speed and thrills"(with all that comes with it like loops and all the acrobatics), those are exactly the things that make sonic unique.

If you're talking about the classics however, there's a lot more like the unique physics that bring lots of unique level design opportuninites with it.

Edited by Jaouad

On the subject of level design, I always find it sort of curious that people suggest I am "a fan" of the modern Rush/Unleashed style. I actually find Rush KIND of boring, I have to wait a long time between replays to enjoy it fully. Advance 2 I really dig though... not sure what it is but yeah.

^ I'm exactly the same as this actually.

I think this video does a better comparison:

I know its the old build, but he made it before the game came out.

• Thumbs Up 1

So tell me, if you take away the speed and the flow, and you automate all the cool bits, what does Sonic have over Mario, and other platformers?

The speed was always there and its still there in Colors. Unleashed simply puts that on steroids, half of the time way too much for its own good.

Say all you want about the level design but the sense of flow in Colors pretty much works on the same idea of the classics that speed should be a reward for your efforts. The point of Sonic was never GOTTA GO FAST and stop once every while to do some platforming; Sonic started off as a platformer character who just happened to be fast, using this as an advantage for the game's design.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay guys. I talk this time rather than use subtitles because there's a lot more to say and I don't want to distract from the footage too much. So apologies if you hate my voice for some reason. D8

The first 5 mins is me covering my own thoughts with examples on 3D and 2D platforming.

The elusive "thrill" factor we were discussing comes after that at 5:37.

If nothing else, I hope seeing on-screen exactly what I enjoy playing may make it a lot easier to understand my logic.

CD is a better example of how Colours can be compared to the Classics. But I think the plattforming isn't like Mario at all. It's still kind of Sonic Teamy...like if you play Billy Hatcher,Nights,Ristar they differ in terms of Gameplay but you still get vaguely the same feel in all games Sonic Team has made. Maybe it's the arcadey-ness,the aesthetcis, I dunno.

I hope I don't get shot at, here.

I liked Colors. Sometimes. But honestly, Sonic Unleashed set the bar too high for Colors to even have a chance.

This isn't game-play related, but I think Sonic Colors tried TOO hard to be lighthearted, in much the same way that Shadow the Hedgehog tried TOO hard to be badass. After playing through the game twice, I've concluded that I'm satisfied with the characterization and the gameplay. I've also concluded that I think the levels, and storyline, are outright CHILDISH. I know that SEGA targets kids, but aren't most Sonic games kid-friendly enough to suffice? I've always gotten the impression that ANYONE can play a Sonic game, child, teen or adult, and Sonic Colors made me feel like it was intended to be for children ONLY.

Hamburgers and donuts in levels? Best Boss Beating Ever? Extra large clobbering? This game had by FAR some of the WORST lines I have EVER HEARD from a Sonic game; they're just silly, and not in the good way. Silly in the kind of way that would make a small child laugh, and that's about it.

What I liked about Sonic Unleashed is that it hit the perfect balance between lighthearted and NOT lighthearted. It was serious but not TOO serious. There were good lines from Sonic that were clever and had 'attitude' ("This is the REAL me. Pretty cool, huh?") and did so WITHOUT being stupid. There were serious and reflective moments in the game, like the 'No Reason' cutscene where Sonic and Chip are in Adabat when the sun is going down and Chip tells Sonic who he really is, to which Sonic responds that Chip must've been protecting him the whole time but in reality Sonic was protecting himself. Scenes like that have a little depth and character introspection, but are also balanced by lighthearted scenes where Chip offers someone chocolate or gets in Sonic's way accidentally, et cetera.

Sonic Colors was just plain silly almost all the way through. I loved the brotherly relationship between Sonic and Tails, but mostly, the story was just ridiculous and childish. I feel like many, MANY people only like the story because they WANTED to like it, because they had high expectations from the new writers. If you ask me, the writers SUCK. S-U-C-K, SUCK. (SeewhatIdidthar?)

And while I know the game is called Sonic Colors, I think that the overly colorful levels were also aimed at young children. Every level was bright and obnoxious, save for maybe Planet Wisp. And to be fair, the graphics are amazing, and the levels ARE aesthetically appealing... but I just got the impression this game wasn't meant to include me in its audience.

And for that matter, Sonic Unleashed seemed to have WAY more effort put into it as a whole. The levels and environments were varied and detailed. Many of the additional Acts were more creative (collecting oranges, finding ten lost chao, going on missions for people, exorcising people). It had a story that was far superior, more involved, and written with more thought (in my opinion). It took me several sittings to complete, I'd say at least a week - and not only because of the medals you had to find (which I thought was actually a refreshing challenge). But also because the game was challenging and had full-length levels. Sonic Colors, on the other hand, took me five hours. Only five hours. :(

TL;DR: Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Colors. If you're going to have a story in your game, HAVE A STORY in your game, and not one comprised mostly of cringe-worthy, childish lines. Colors seems like it was originally intended to be a spinoff. Levels (daytime) in Unleashed were better and Unleashed as a whole seemed to have more effort put into it. Colors levels were short and again, seemed aimed for children only. Gameplay in Colors was good.. Characterization was decent, aside from Sonic's one-liners. Overall, Unleashed raised the bar high, and they're going to have to do a little better than Colors to meet that bar.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Try some S ranks and getting all the red rings and tell me this game is for children. D8

I actually loved the extra large clobbering smacktalk lol (though I half agree, the humour was hit and miss for me, some very entertaining if cheesy, and some just... cheesy). Also... I don't see how having bright and colourful levels = childish in a series that has almost always had bright and colourful levels.

Try some S ranks and getting all the red rings and tell me this game is for children. D8

I actually loved the extra large clobbering smacktalk lol (though I half agree, the humour was hit and miss for me, some very entertaining if cheesy, and some just... cheesy). Also... I don't see how having bright and colourful levels = childish in a series that has almost always had bright and colourful levels.

I don't think the red rings are all that hard to find; certainly easier than previous find-able items like the medals in Sonic 2006 and Unleashed. S-Ranks are hard though, I admit.

I guess the reason why I didn't like some of the levels is because they all kind of felt like they were part of... well, an amusement park. That was the whole point, I know, but I'm still not a big fan of it. Sonic games usually have such a large variety of levels - cities, nature, environments, coastlines, bases, different countries, et cetera. I guess it just didn't seem like much variety.

Sweet Mountain was childish. :P

Edited by DC111

Beat it within a week, and that includes being away all weekend and forgetting about it for a day, took me about 6 hours. Honestly, a LOT shorter than I expected or wanted, but I did indeed like it. I'm going for all red rings right now, and maybe on a day I have free I'll try to go through the game on challenge mode for a bit more of an old school Sonic feel, but as of now I think it's okay. The level design is genuinely great, but the game seems put together a tad choppily as far as pace goes, I kinda wish that they just strung levels together seamlessly instead of forcing you back to the hub upon completion, only doing so upon a button press on the results screen or via the pause screen. Not a big deal by any means though, it just shot the pace a tad.

Overall, about a 7.5/10, maybe an 8 depending upon how replayable it is after beating it and getting all red rings. I'm happy that it lacks an unecessary gimmick such as the Werehog or shitty levels in general, but I do wish they put more in it to do after beating the game, such as side missions or something. Red rings seem to be occupying me for now, however, I'm just about done with them, less than 40 to go.

This is supposed to be the final level, beating it on my first try and only getting hit once is a Huge flaw IMO.

Fu, I got 5 game overs on that damn stage. God, it was SO satisfying to go back with all the red rings found.

Lets just all move on from this shitfest and just eagerly anticipate Sonic 4 Episode 2 and the Sonic 20th Anniversary game?

Oh yes, let's go to another 100 pages of baseless speculation and people bitching and boards banning discussion on the game. I CAN HARDLY WAIT

Sonic games thrill factor usually came from Eye candy automated sequences. It was like that in the classics, it was like that in the adventure games. Sonic colors had enough of that. People seem to point out that starlight carnaval had a lot of sequences where you were basically watching a cutscene. I mean why is that a problem if most of those sequences only required pushing forward in past games? It's the same thing if you ask me.

Cutscene be damned, I LIKED watching the HUGE ass ships in Starlight Carnival form out of freakin nowhere

- The thrilling moments in colors for me come from things like having 0 rings and trying not to get hit untill the next few rings since rings are really scarse in sonic colors. Which is design choice they should never discard.

- Precision platforming where failing could only be your own fault.

- The way the boost has been gimped down. The boost meter empty's much faster and gaining boost does not happen by ring energy. Boosting is actually something you have to tactfully use now instead of throughout a whole stage whenever you can.

- The way the boost isn't so fast anymore that first playthroughs are not a bitch.

- The level design. I don't care when people say the game exists of flat platforming. In my opinion the level design is done by geniuses with full of creativity. A few flaws here and there but no. I was surprised by many things throughout the game. Alternate paths are handled better than even some of the classics.

You could point one thing about unleashed that's better than colors and colors would have a 100 things done better than unleashed in return.

I have to agree with this. I went in expecting just as much frustration as Daytime Sonic. I'm glad I was wrong.

I hope I don't get shot at, here.

Don't worry, it's safe here *quickly hides pistols and starts whistling*

I liked Colors. Sometimes. But honestly, Sonic Unleashed set the bar too high for Colors to even have a chance.

This isn't game-play related, but I think Sonic Colors tried TOO hard to be lighthearted, in much the same way that Shadow the Hedgehog tried TOO hard to be badass. After playing through the game twice, I've concluded that I'm satisfied with the characterization and the gameplay. I've also concluded that I think the levels, and storyline, are outright CHILDISH. I know that SEGA targets kids, but aren't most Sonic games kid-friendly enough to suffice? I've always gotten the impression that ANYONE can play a Sonic game, child, teen or adult, and Sonic Colors made me feel like it was intended to be for children ONLY.

Hamburgers and donuts in levels? Best Boss Beating Ever? Extra large clobbering? This game had by FAR some of the WORST lines I have EVER HEARD from a Sonic game; they're just silly, and not in the good way. Silly in the kind of way that would make a small child laugh, and that's about it.

You say "childish" like it's a BAD thing. First off Sweet Mountain is just so wonderfully amazing and wacky, and there really needs to be more of that in Sonic games. This is a series about a fraggin 3 foot talking hedgehog that is blue. Seriousness can come and go if its well written (READ: next to none at all), but realism absolutely has no place here, regardless how now pretty it is. I'll take levels like Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival a thousand times over the likes of Mykonos Apatos and New York Empire City.

What I liked about Sonic Unleashed is that it hit the perfect balance between lighthearted and NOT lighthearted. It was serious but not TOO serious. There were good lines from Sonic that were clever and had 'attitude' ("This is the REAL me. Pretty cool, huh?") and did so WITHOUT being stupid. There were serious and reflective moments in the game, like the 'No Reason' cutscene where Sonic and Chip are in Adabat when the sun is going down and Chip tells Sonic who he really is, to which Sonic responds that Chip must've been protecting him the whole time but in reality Sonic was protecting himself. Scenes like that have a little depth and character introspection, but are also balanced by lighthearted scenes where Chip offers someone chocolate or gets in Sonic's way accidentally, et cetera.

I'm not sure why we're looking for reflection in game about talking animals. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Sonic Colors was just plain silly almost all the way through. I loved the brotherly relationship between Sonic and Tails, but mostly, the story was just ridiculous and childish. I feel like many, MANY people only like the story because they WANTED to like it, because they had high expectations from the new writers. If you ask me, the writers SUCK. S-U-C-K, SUCK. (SeewhatIdidthar?)

And while I know the game is called Sonic Colors, I think that the overly colorful levels were also aimed at young children. Every level was bright and obnoxious, save for maybe Planet Wisp. And to be fair, the graphics are amazing, and the levels ARE aesthetically appealing... but I just got the impression this game wasn't meant to include me in its audience.

There you go again with saying that childish things are bad. As for the writing, well, We're just gonna have to disagree on that point. However, if because of thoughts like yours, we descend back into the boring ass "ibliss trigger" bull slag that plagued the past games, hoo boy! The entire internet will be unable to contain my rage.

And for that matter, Sonic Unleashed seemed to have WAY more effort put into it as a whole. The levels and environments were varied and detailed. Many of the additional Acts were more creative (collecting oranges, finding ten lost chao, going on missions for people, exorcising people). It had a story that was far superior, more involved, and written with more thought (in my opinion). It took me several sittings to complete, I'd say at least a week - and not only because of the medals you had to find (which I thought was actually a refreshing challenge).

ITT: stating the obvious and overlooking that the version of Unleashed that matters was developed for a stronger platform than the one colors was for, and thus required much much MUCH more effort.

But also because the game was challenging and had full-length levels. Sonic Colors, on the other hand, took me five hours. Only five hours. :(

See this? Do you see this? Comments like this are WHY WE GET WEREHOG. Sonic Team has more than shown that they simply don't have the manpower or rather the money to make a game of only Sonic levels that lasts longer than a couple of hours. It's like they can't win no matter what they do!

. Levels (daytime) in Unleashed were better and

. (daytime) in Unleashed

. (daytime)

Summary of this whole damn topic, and it's even been pointed out. The fact that you even have to add that disclaimer shows you're not looking at the whole picture. Daytime Sonic was only HALF of Unleashed, and you best not forget that in all your "Unleashed" was better blather. You all KNOW Sega isn't the brightest of companies. You KNOW they read feedback in every way except the right one. For the love of Primus, be careful what you ask for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't say much on gameplay since I haven't played fully through the game yet. But I will defend until the end of time.

Remember a few months back, when we bitched that this game was mainly for kids, well where the hell did you think the dialouge was gonna be aimed for? not teenagers. The game was originally made with kids in mind, we decided to like it, and Sonic Team decided to market it towards everyone. The jokes will only be funny to 7-12 year olds, keep in mind this is how Sonic was in the 90's(Go watch an episode of SATAM and don't tell me this), did anybody give a damn back then? Nope. Why? because we found it funny when we were young, and kids are age now will find Colors funny.

Just because you've grown up, doesn't mean the franchise has to. I like the fact it doesn't take itself seriously at all, it feels refreshing, than that typical end of the world feel(I know its epic and all, and but it feels nice to just have a nice presence of goodness), you seriousness go play the adventure games, ShTH, or 06.

Did I say the franchise had to be all uber-serious? I did not. I said I thought Sonic Unleashed was a GREAT balance. It wasn't too dark and 'bad-ass' (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006), but it wasn't forced lightheartedness either. I apologize for preferring Sonic Unleashed's storyline better. :o Also, "you want seriousness go play the adventure games, ShTH, or 06?" Okay. And when SEGA creates a game with the kind of storyline that I like again, and you want funny, I'll come back and tell you, "You want funny, go play Colors." Not trying to sound rude, but I care about the direction Sonic is GOING just as much as you do, not just the games that have already happened. Even if we do differ in opinion about which direction that should be.

And the reason I had DAYTIME in parenthesis there was because I wanted to make clear that I was comparing the daytime stages to the Sonic Colors stages, since those are the only ones that have similarity. The night-time stages didn't even apply to the point I was trying to make, which is why I specified daytime. I actually don't mind the night-time stages either, but that's irrelevant, since this topic is about comparing Colors to Unleashed, is it not?

I hate the 'Sonic is a blue hedgehog so it's okay if it's stupid' card. It's just a physical characteristic. Means nothing in terms of how a game's storyline should be. For the record, I don't have a problem with funny. I don't think Sonic games should be too serious either. I just think Colors went over the top with it, and that a lot of the lines were crappy.

Funny how it was the cool thing to complain about Sonic's cringe-worthy lines not too long ago. Now, suddenly, because it's new writers, everybody likes them. I'm just sayin'.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funny how it was the cool thing to complain about Sonic's cringe-worthy lines not too long ago. Now, suddenly, because it's new writers, everybody likes them. I'm just sayin'.

Or maybe, just maybe it's because they're not cringe worthy anymore? Just an idea!

I actually don't mind the night-time stages either, but that's irrelevant, since this topic is about comparing Colors to Unleashed, is it not?

Not really, since Werehog was HALF of Unleashed. (and more than that on the Wii version). You can't fairly compare a full game to half of another.

I hate the 'Sonic is a blue hedgehog so it's okay if it's stupid' card. It's just a physical characteristic. Means nothing in terms of how a game's storyline should be.

Actually, it kinda means everything. Especially when said hedgehog runs at the speed of sound, uses the power of magic rocks to turn yellow, and it's known for chowing down on hot dogs in his downtime.

Sonic, by it's very core concept is already over the top utter silliness.

I don't care, I just want a story that will make me laugh, and for the right reasons. Like I said you want your seriousness go play the games I mentioned, I have no problem with the story taking itself seriously, I just feel its been overdone to death, even Unleashed got a little too serious in the end, I'm saying its nice to have a return to the classic, "Eggman's causing trouble and you gotta stop him" as opposed to "Eggman's released some super natural disaster, and you have to collect the emeralds, and stop it from destroying the Earth".

Like I said the script was made for 7-12 year olds, ya know Sonic's demographic, the ages we were when we first started playing the games in the 90's. The writers aren't going to accommodate the script because its older fans don't find the childishness funny.

Sonic doesn't need to have a serious storyline to be good(Although it does help a lot), it just needs to be fun, and well written. And Colors to me achieved that, honestly the only thing I would want in terms of story in the next games, are just more characters, thats it.

Or maybe, just maybe it's because they're not cringe worthy anymore? Just an idea!

Underwear to be worn by salad.

You missed the BBBE.

Best Boss Beating Evar.

Git along lil' aliens.

At first I thought they said Eggman was using burps to do it.

Well he is pretty gassy.

Not really, since Werehog was HALF of Unleashed. (and more than that on the Wii version). You can't fairly compare a full game to half of another.

But I was comparing the gameplay when I said that. Night-time Unleashed stages are a completely different kind of gameplay, so I didn't compare it to Sonic Colors' gameplay, because they're too different to compare, aside from merely saying one's better than the other.

Actually, it kinda means everything. Especially when said hedgehog runs at the speed of sound, uses the power of magic rocks to turn yellow, and it's known for chowing down on hot dogs in his downtime.

Sonic, by it's very core concept is already over the top utter silliness.

Following that logic, then just about every E or T rated video game, and probably a good handful of M ones, along with most anime, comics, and fictional novels are 'over-the-top silly.' Superhuman speed or strength? Secret, strong items to be found? Magic? Yup. It must all be 'over-the-top silly.'

Chowing on hot dogs makes things silly? :-/

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I find the cheesy stories to be apart of the charm of Sonic games. My friends and I always harp on the corny dialogue, personally I perfer cheesy and entertaining to dry and boring. As much as I love my Mario games (Believe me, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are my favorite platformers of all time), if they decided to play it "safe" next Sonic game dialogue-wise, then I'd be pretty disappointed. I love the over the top cheesiness of the franchise, it's cringe-worthy but it's all part of the experience.

Like I said the script was made for 7-12 year olds, ya know Sonic's demographic, the ages we were when we first started playing the games in the 90's. The writers aren't going to accommodate the script because its older fans don't find the childishness funny.

I know that, but what I'm saying is that it seems like Sonic games are usually intended for everybody, but for Sonic Colors, they almost chose to accommodate only children. I guess that's okay sometimes, but I hope not all the mainstream games are going to follow that path now.

Underwear to be worn by salad.

You missed the BBBE.

Best Boss Beating Evar.

Git along lil' aliens.

Clearly we have a different definition of "cringe worthy". I had no reaction at all to the first one, the second one got a "what?" as I was trying to figure it out, I had a chuckle at the third, and well I think I liked the cowboy persona on Cubot the best.

No cringes here *shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

While I'll admit Sonic Unleashed does feature a great deal of BOOSTBOOSTBOOST segments, I'd like to respectfully showcase this little platforming gem from the game:

Now THAT is how I feel the platforming in Colors should have been. The platforms are wide enough to jump on without going incredibly slow for fear of overstepping. The level flows, going from one platform to the other without having to slow to a crawl. And best of all, the camera isn't zoomed ridiculously far out and you can easily see where your character is at.

I really look forward to the next game from the Unleashed HD team, because in my humble opinion, I think they have much better level designers than the Storybook team.

HELL TO THE NO. That by far was the cheapest level in the game, with an over-reliance on using the homing attack to progress, and actually NEEDING to use the boost on one of the jump pads or else you would fall and die. Not to mention the absolute linearity.

I honestly don't get it. First, people whine and complain that Sonic Unleashed doesn't have enough platforming and was too much of a running fest. When we finally get it.... we need more running because the game is not enough like Unleashed. I'm flabbergasted. Granted, I understand, to a point, some of the complaints about the game being over-reliant on jumping on tiny platforms a la Mario. But that was like in 2 levels of the game. Most of the game plays like a hybrid of Sonic Unleashed and the 16-bit games. And besides 3 cheap levels that I will never replay again due to how horrible they are, I feel they really nailed it, with the sole problem being that the 3D sections were a bit slippery and far too automated. But I just do not understand why you guys would honestly want crappy, linear, trial-by-fire platforming levels suspended over one gigantic bottomless pit over what Colors had to offer. ...but wait, we did get that, it was Planet Wisp Act 4. One of the aforementioned terrible 3 levels I encountered in Colors.

I swear, sometimes I pray Sonic Team doesn't listen to the fan-base. I ain't saying people aren't entitled to their opinions; they most certainly are. But the fan-base as a whole is just freaking bi-polar in what it wants to see in its 3D Sonic games.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Clearly we have a different definition of "cringe worthy". I had no reaction at all to the first one, the second one got a "what?" as I was trying to figure it out, I had a chuckle at the third, and well I think I liked the cowboy persona on Cubot the best.

No cringes here *shrugs*

What's your version of cringe-worthy? I'm honestly curious.

I feel that Sonic's dialogue was very lame, and came off as an overconfident person convinced that they're both cooler and funnier than they actually are. Which is a perfect way to present Sonic. I found the jokes to be funny specifically because they were so lame. It's the personality flaws that make characters interesting, and these flaws make Sonic more endearing to my mind.

Saying this game has bad writers is a bold-faced lie. They took material that was administratively decided should appeal to kids and managed to make it funny to adults as well by amplifying the lameness factor of the good old nineties.

EDIT: Let me emphasise that: This game is for kids. No, really. They said so. With words. The fact that it's also great fun to play for older fans and adults just goes to show that Sega managed to pull a Mario for once.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

I know that, but what I'm saying is that it seems like Sonic games are usually intended for everybody, but for Sonic Colors, they almost chose to accommodate only children. I guess that's okay sometimes, but I hope not all the mainstream games are going to follow that path now.

Who ever said they were intended for everybody? I know Sega didn't. You claim if all the stories follow Colors` example they won't be awesome, I beg to differ. like Solid Soap said the cheesiness is what makes Sonic, well Sonic.Sa1-06 are cheesy for all the wrong reasons, Colors is cheesy for all the right reasons.

Hell even Sega themselves said the franchise was taking itself too seriously, and that story was way too deep, and I agree completely.

• Thumbs Up 1

HELL TO THE NO. That by far was the cheapest level in the game, with an over-reliance on using the homing attack to progress, and actually NEEDING to use the boost on one of the jump pads or else you would fall and die. Not to mention the absolute linearity.

I honestly don't get it. First, people whine and complain that Sonic Unleashed doesn't have enough platforming. When we finally get it.... we need more running because the game is not enough like Unleashed. I'm flabbergasted. Granted, I understand, to a point, some of the complaints about the game being over-reliant on jumping on tiny platforms a la Mario. But that was like in 2 levels of the game. Most of the game plays like a hybrid of Sonic Unleashed and the 16-bit games. And besides 3 cheap levels that I will never replay again due to how horrible they are, I feel they really nailed it, with the sole problem being that the 3D sections were a bit slippery and far too automated. But I just do not understand why you guys would honestly want crappy, linear, trial-by-fire platforming levels suspended over one gigantic bottomless pit.

I swear, sometimes I pray Sonic Team doesn't listen to the fan-base. I ain't saying people aren't entitled to their opinions; they most certainly are. But the fan-base as a whole is just freaking bi-polar in what it wants to see in its 3D Sonic games.

Who's complaining about the gameplay? I thought Colors gameplay was great; when I said the levels were better in Unleashed, I was referring more to my opinion on the environments the levels took place in (I thought Unleashed's levels were gorgeous), not the gameplay. :)

EDIT: Oh wow, attention span fail. You were responding to someone on an earlier page. Sorry. I figured it out now.

Edited by DC111