Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

Platforming is better done in 2D.

The only thing they need to improve is increase the Creativity on the 3D Portions, maybe they should take some ideas from Sonic heroes or sonic and the secret rings.

that the only thing they need to improve in my opinion.

I have said it before. The sonic unleashed physics/controls engine is not made for 3d platforming which was allready noticable in sonic unleashed (think about empire city act 1)

I have no doubt that they were aware of this and just made the best of an engine they allready had. Using the 3d segments for mostly eye candy and a little bit of variety next to the core 2d gameplay.

I say that they have done a well job in execution.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have said it before. The sonic unleashed physics/controls engine is not made for 3d platforming which was allready noticable in sonic unleashed (think about empire city act 1)

Why, that's one of my favourite stages. 8D Do tell.

Man, if the mediocrity of Sonic Unleashed is the be-all, end-all comparison for 3d Sonics, this series is worse off than I imagined.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

While I haven't played Sonic Colors for the Wii just yet, I have been playing Sonic Unleashed for the PS360 for the time being.

I'm not sure it's because of my lack of playing the game for a month or it's a later stage but I kinda feel that the Sonic daytime level stages(or at least Empire City and Adabat) are rather cheap.

I'm not sure how many times I died on Empire City and Adabat due to bottomless pits and that really frustrating running over water section. And a lot of the times, it seems to be mostly trial and error.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm playing the later stages in the game, but going by these two levels, the designs are pretty cheap.

While I haven't played Sonic Colors for the Wii just yet, I have been playing Sonic Unleashed for the PS360 for the time being.

I'm not sure it's because of my lack of playing the game for a month or it's a later stage but I kinda feel that the Sonic daytime level stages(or at least Empire City and Adabat) are rather cheap.

I'm not sure how many times I died on Empire City and Adabat due to bottomless pits and that really frustrating running over water section. And a lot of the times, it seems to be mostly trial and error.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm playing the later stages in the game, but going by these two levels, the designs are pretty cheap.

Once you memorise the stages, you can blast through them in no time. But anyway expect many many random deaths in Sonic Colours

Anyway, played Unleashed today. Once clear thing is the constant boost, which once memorising the stages is great to get through. Can get an S rank beautifully on all stages. Thats one complaint about colours- the score system. All you need to do for levels (with the drill) is to drill for a long enough time to rack up a fair amount of points.. or use other colour powers.

I also dont see the AMAZING controls colours has. Its defiantly tighter than Unleashed, but its terrible from a 3D perspective. Far worse than Unleashed. I mean at slow speeds, the precision is terrible. (on the z axis would you say.. not sure) If the homing attack wernt there say, itd be alot easier to smash an enemy in Unleashed than in would in Colours. Unleashed is too slippery though, glad they took that away.

Looking back at them both.. hmmm. I prefer Unleashed. The speed and beautiful-ness just does it for me. The werehog is tripe yes, but the daytime levels offer such a blast. The colours 6 acts annoys me, considering about 3 of them are utter annoying.

I can see someone raging back at my post

Edited by mark

So, went back to Unleashed today. It was like going home. Like going back to SA2 after Sonic Heroes (I hated Heroes... stupid piece of crap...), sure, Heroes/Colours didn't have Treasure Hunting/Mechs/Werehog but neither were as good as the good parts of their predecessors for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So, went back to Unleashed today. It was like going home. Like going back to SA2 after Sonic Heroes (I hated Heroes... stupid piece of crap...), sure, Heroes/Colours didn't have Treasure Hunting/Mechs/Werehog but neither were as good as the good parts of their predecessors for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm glad it clicked with you too. I'd have been a lot happier with colours if not for a few little things really. A lot of the speed parts are more automated than you realise, if you actually let go of the controller in certain parts you'll be stunned at how much of it you didn't realise you weren't actually playing - all of the parts which resemble the best moments in Unleashed seem to all work by themselves. That's my one major letdown with it, and yeah, I prefer my platforming a little more varied and a little less about squares and blocks dotted around... I think Colours could have been fixed for me with a few minor little things really. Put it on HD consoles and I'll give it another go - especially since the absolute worst parts for me were the zoomed out areas with the Wii's low resolution making it hard to see anything.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm glad it clicked with you too. I'd have been a lot happier with colours if not for a few little things really. A lot of the speed parts are more automated than you realise, if you actually let go of the controller in certain parts you'll be stunned at how much of it you didn't realise you weren't actually playing - all of the parts which resemble the best moments in Unleashed seem to all work by themselves. That's my one major letdown with it, and yeah, I prefer my platforming a little more varied and a little less about squares and blocks dotted around... I think Colours could have been fixed for me with a few minor little things really. Put it on HD consoles and I'll give it another go - especially since the absolute worst parts for me were the zoomed out areas with the Wii's low resolution making it hard to see anything.

I guess some people liked BOOST, BOOST, BOOOST. Honestly I like running through awesome looking areas as much as the next guy, I mean it looks awesome. But I like to do platforming in Sonic games as well, even its generic platforming, I hate feeling like a spectator when playing Sonic, and Unleashed unfortunately did that for me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic Unleashed was only "BOOST BOOST BHOOSTHE ZOMG!!!1111" when you had learned the ins and outs of every level and maxxed out your ring energy bar. I mean are we playing the same game? Because Unleashed has me ducking under gaps, avoiding spikes, jumping on platforms, homing attacking enemies with the right timing, avoiding eggman-springs, staying out of bottomless pits, avoiding fire traps, spinning spike-balls, timing my homing attacks on springs which turn upside-down to reveal spikes, timing my movement to avoid swinging blades, quickstepping in actual challenging areas where I can slow down or stop when I want to...

Sonic Colours felt more like a spectator sport for all 3D sections with little square platforms laid out as if they were designed by a teenager who just got his hands on Multimedia Fusion as if they somehow made up for it. I'd have totally forgiven the poor platforming layout if the exciting 3D bits had actually depended on my input but they all just happened by themselves if I stopped pressing anything.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't get it distantJ. Sonic games have been platformers from the day they existed. What made sonic and SEGA so succesful back in the days. Reading the decription of what you loved so much about unleashed. I mean... what?

Is that really what you want sonic games to be built upon?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think we want a happy medium. Unleashed may have not had as much platforming, but at least the platforming that was more than just tiny little square platforms and power-ups generally more fitting for a Mario game than Sonic.

Unleashed was more like parkour but fast. Colours is more like... well, Mario but fast.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think we want a happy medium. Unleashed may have not had as much platforming, but at least the platforming that was more than just tiny little square platforms and power-ups generally more fitting for a Mario game than Sonic.

Unleashed was more like parkour but fast. Colours is more like... well, Mario but fast.

Edited by Jaouad

you need to realise as long sonicteam doesn't achieve to implement a sort of "pinball physics" into the 3d games. curvy surfaces won't have any effect.

I disagree. Show me a segment of platforming in unleashed that is not just "square platforming" or whatever you like to call it. Maybe I just forgot

As long sega don't decide to make similar controls to the pinball physics, I don't see much changing. The controls are just not made for them.

Sonic Unleashed was only "BOOST BOOST BHOOSTHE ZOMG!!!1111" when you had learned the ins and outs of every level and maxxed out your ring energy bar. I mean are we playing the same game? Because Unleashed has me ducking under gaps, avoiding spikes, jumping on platforms, homing attacking enemies with the right timing, avoiding eggman-springs, staying out of bottomless pits, avoiding fire traps, spinning spike-balls, timing my homing attacks on springs which turn upside-down to reveal spikes, timing my movement to avoid swinging blades, quickstepping in actual challenging areas where I can slow down or stop when I want to...

It was BOOST BOOST BOOST when you learned the levels. When you didn't, it was BOOST BOO-FUCK A FUCKING PIT STOP BREAKING MY FLOW WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT.

For a game that relied on going faster than a speeding bullet, it knew how to break the flow it had in many ways. Sonic Unleashed becomes a better game once you get the sense of the level after having already played it. With Colors you can pretty much grasp the entire feel once you jump in, and more than often you don't need to memorize or get the feel of an entire level by multiple playthroughs to still have a solid go-through.

• Thumbs Up 4

It was BOOST BOOST BOOST when you learned the levels. When you didn't, it was BOOST BOO-FUCK A FUCKING PIT STOP BREAKING MY FLOW WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT.

For a game that relied on going faster than a speeding bullet, it knew how to break the flow it had in many ways. Sonic Unleashed becomes a better game once you get the sense of the level after having already played it. With Colors you can pretty much grasp the entire feel once you jump in, and more than often you don't need to memorize or get the feel of an entire level by multiple playthroughs to still have a solid go-through.

Edited by Voyant

Really, that's something I feel Colors could have had going if it expanded upon its 3D sections above anything else. Because really, playing Unleashed without using the boost is so ridiculously vapid when the levels are as stretched out as they are, and the game already encourages you to boost the shit out of Sonic the minute you get into a big 3D section since it throws a plethora of rings at you and not only that but your boost acts like a magnet for it. Hell in some places, you pretty much have to boost. Colors balances the use of the boost perfectly. It'd been kind of great to see that work out in a 3D environment, even though I'm still not exactly sold on the idea that the Unleashed engine and style would work properly in an open 3D environment, not unless its heavily tweaked.

I actually agree with this as well XD...although there are slopes in unleashed though. ( go back and play a few levels). Is there mometum in Unleashed style? yes there is...its just not the way it displayed in the classics. Unleashed style does infact work well in 3D though and I feel that if Sonic Colors was our first game instead of the adventures the fansbase would be pretty content since its the closest thing we had since the Sonic 3&K.

Edited by Jaouad

Unleashed can suck a dick. Tried playing it again today. Couldn't do it, I was terribly bored almost immediately.

Colors literally made me dislike Unleashed because it's not like Colors. Nice going SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 3

Unleashed can suck a dick. Tried playing it again today. Couldn't do it, I was terribly bored almost immediately.

Colors literally made me dislike Unleashed because it's not like Colors. Nice going SEGA.

I remember when Unleashed first came out. Fans clamored how the day stages were absolutely fantastic and exactly what they wanted in 3D Sonic. Now here we are with Sonic Colors released and many of those fans are now saying how much they hate the Sonic Unleashed day stages.

Come to think of it, I recall similar retroactive hate for Sonic Heroes. Fans adored the game when it first came out, even eagerly hoping for a sequel. Now it's widely regarded as one of the worst 3D Sonic games, bar Shadow and '06.

And don't get me started on the retroactive hate for the Adventure games.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if when the next 3D Sonic game comes out and Sonic Team (hopefully) irons out the "bugs" from Colors, people will clamor about how Colors suddenly sucks and the new game is amazing.

An interesting fandom, this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is flamebait if I've ever seen it.

I'm sorry that I actually don't like Unleashed as much any more. Whether anyone else does I don't really care about. I don't like it too much any more. I liked it when it was out, yeah, but Colors beats it on everything, and it feels like a huge step back.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry that I actually don't like Unleashed as much any more. Whether anyone else does I don't really care about. I don't like it too much any more. I liked it when it was out, yeah, but Colors beats it on everything, and it feels like a huge step back.