Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

Ya know this is the reason Sega make things like the Werehog, people feel Sonic-only is boring, they try something new, everyone hates it. Let's face it, Sega has a habit of sucking when coming up with clever gimmicks(Heroes Teamwork style, Shadow's Guns, Silver's Psychokinesis, the Werehog) each one of those things has put Sonic in the rut he was in for the past 7 years. I'd rather have boring gameplay, than a poorly executed gimmick. People who do love the gimmicks, that's fine and all, but you can't say they could've been much better executed.

*Comes in to see speedduelist once again resorting to spamming videos of a game he's never played to try and prove a point....for the umpteenth time.*

Same old, same old. :/

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

they all say about the game thing : day stages are on rails.

Contrary to the popular belief of those who haven't played the game, it's not as "on rails" as some people keep saying. Linear yeah, but the only times the game really forces you to keep moving is in those sections where you're being chased, or the sections where the little robot guys are after you. The game is far less on-rails than say, Secret rings, which I'm guessing you actually have played.

• Thumbs Up 1

For crying out loud, speedduelist PLAY THE GOD DAMN GAME FIRST. Nobody here agrees with you, and you're the only one who is making all of these assertions having not played the game. The game is only constant boosting because you're watchign S-Rank videos by people who are really good at it. None of it is on rails, there are no 'Sonic runs by himself' sections like in Colours except for in a few boss-chase parts.

I'm in a right mind to make my own Unleashed videos just to shut speedduelist up but why would I want to annoy my YouTube subscribers with that?

• Thumbs Up 2

Contrary to the popular belief of those who haven't played the game, it's not as "on rails" as some people keep saying. Linear yeah, but the only times the game really forces you to keep moving is in those sections where you're being chased, or the sections where the little robot guys are after you. The game is far less on-rails than say, Secret rings, which I'm guessing you actually have played.

Yes I played secret rings and I do agree its not secret rings on rails lol. but its linear that is.

I am not saying Unleashed plays its self, its just i prefer Colors level design of platforming and explorations and variety of level design, i liked about the classic games, their are way more paths in colors than unleashed both 3D and 2D Perspectives (although the 2D Sections has more of that and their isn't so much 3D Sections).

all this leads me to prefer colors over all (in my opinion).

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I agree. I don't think Sonic Colors was boring because it was Sonic-only, I think it was boring because the 2D sections were uninteresting while the 3D sections were pointless. But I would enjoy a Sonic-only game with the Adventure gameplay, for example.

I'd say Colors` 2D sections may have been boring if not for the Wisp, which provide some alternative going down different paths, it may be slow, you do get your speed from time to time.

I'd say Colors` 2D sections may have been boring if not for the Wisp, which provide some alternative going down different paths, it may be slow, you do get your speed from time to time.

It's the way that the 2D gameplay is like that of a VERY basic and outdated platformer without the Wisps. And some of the Wisps can become tiresome...

On the subject of "Unleashed on rails", its kind of like saying that Scott Pilgrim is hipster bullshit and Mario has communist propaganda. Depending on your considerability it's a very yay possibility and it could easily be shaped up as such with a minor change in design, but it really isn't.

It's the way that the 2D gameplay is like that of a VERY basic and outdated platformer without the Wisps. And some of the Wisps can become tiresome...

I dunno, I never got bored by the Wisps personally. They're really cool when you're blazing through the level with style. I'm even sort of partial to the Frenzy Wisp.

n554yx.png

I'm really glad the game has wisps. I mean, imagine how boring the needlessly long and empty stretches of water in Aquarium Park would have been without the drill wisp to tear around the water with.

For crying out loud, speedduelist PLAY THE GOD DAMN GAME FIRST. Nobody here agrees with you, and you're the only one who is making all of these assertions having not played the game. The game is only constant boosting because you're watchign S-Rank videos by people who are really good at it. None of it is on rails, there are no 'Sonic runs by himself' sections like in Colours except for in a few boss-chase parts.

I'm in a right mind to make my own Unleashed videos just to shut speedduelist up but why would I want to annoy my YouTube subscribers with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

^This

Seriously, speedduelist, you need to actually play Unleashed and stop making ignorant statements. It's just plain annoying now. It'd be like if I never played Colors and said that it was on-rails simply based on some random gameplay videos I saw on youtube.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand: It's actually kinda hard to say which I like better. Unleashed has the advantage of being a thrilling speed-fest (though not nearly as linear as speeduelist is making it sound), but Colors has the advantage of having more platforming and overall feeling more like a platformer. It all depends on what type of Sonic game I want to play.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I dunno, I never got bored by the Wisps personally. They're really cool when you're blazing through the level with style. I'm even sort of partial to the Frenzy Wisp.

n554yx.png

I wish Sonic Colors was more like my women, curvy. When I think of Sonic platforming I imagine it as a pachinko/pinball table turned horizontally. The physics engine, while not perfect, is capable of using slopes, slants, and quarter-pipe ramps to mostly recreate the feel of the classic games as seen in the SS versions of the Sonic 1 stages. It would have gone a long way to spice up the lame, blocky platforming.

Each to their own. I don't dislike any of them, but some did get a little annoying. Pink and Cyan are always fun, Orange is underused (no 3D D=), Yellow is the tiresome one, Purple is great but hard to control, Green is too slow and Blue is tedious because it's just more rectangles. This game has too many rectangles.

Honestly I'd like the Orange wisp alot more if you could set some directions mid-flight so you could atleast rectify any minor mistake you might stumble upon by using it too early or late.

Purple is fun as fuck when on a 2D plane, smashing shit out of the way, this is the kind of stuff Knuckles and Werehog could have used.

Green I like mostly because dat music, and that at least it nerfs the light dash, but more over I find fun in stopping and floating around the environments, and usually there is a trail of rings always nearby so going slow is usually not a problem. The first time it was introduced in Starlight Carnival and you'd be floating up over this massive tower? That was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Blue I also like cause of dat music, but like Svend said in his Spong preview, it paves way for some interesting timed puzzle-platforming sections.

Edited by Carbo

its not only me saying its linear and on rails, its the reviewers as well.

as well as the obvious videos and the obvious unleashed game play physics that is forcing sonic to go straight forward,

seeing from those 2 videos that includes no boost : linear game play, almost No multiple paths, No hidden areas for explorations and barley any platforming, the Physics are pushing you forward, limited interactivity.

seeing from those 2 videos : the boosting is only giving you the illusion that you are doing a lot of things, but you aren't, you are just running into empty space (90% of each level).

*Facepalm*

You know when someone has a weak argument when:

1) They are consistently posting videos just to get a point across

2) The videos actually CONTRADICT what their point is

Honestly what videos were you watching? I took a good look at that Apotos video (for example) and there are plenty of alternative paths to take in both the 2D and 3D segements. In the 3D there were plenty of opportunities where the player could have turned to the left or right to take another route to a certain place. And look at the 2D sections. Did you not see a rail above him for most of the level? That proves that he could have either taken the top path with the rail, or the bottom path (the one he took). That looks like alternative paths to me.

Also, the physics aren't pushing Sonic forward, they assist in the turning. When Sonic comes up to a somewhat windy road, he is usually auto assisted in a certain direction to help you take the turn. This was the same in Colours as well.

Now granted, there are a few sections where the game is on rails, but this has been the same in EVERY 3D Sonic title.

You really need to observe these videos more carefully and play the game more thouroughly before you start giving an argument about it. Almost all of your points are incorrect, and you would know that they are if you actually played the game more extensively.

Don't get me wrong, people are allowed to have opinions about the game (heck I prefer Colours' gameplay over Unleashed's as well), but you're placing your arguments down as if they are fact when they are clearly fiction.

Also, about the Wisps. To have the most fun with them, I think you need to know the key points about all of them.

For example, the Cyan Wisp gets released once you release the Control Stick/D Pad, the Purple Frenzy turns best when you just tap a direction (it should then automatically start veering in the direction you tap) and can only do a jump when his chomping animation is finished (as in after you eat something), the Green Hover's Ring Dash works best when you approach the rings from the side (this applies to vertical trails of rings too) and the Pink Spikes is easiest to control when you hold a direction for about half a second longer than you need to (when you change direction on a wall) e.g. if you are going up a wall then start going right, keep holding up whilst you transist to going right then after about half a second, push right.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speedduelist wins this whole discussion. Just give it up guys LOLL :D

they put a -1 on your rep.

got used to some forum members here being biased at me lol

Honestly what videos were you watching? I took a good look at that Apotos video (for example) and there are plenty of alternative paths to take in both the 2D and 3D segements. In the 3D there were plenty of opportunities where the player could have turned to the left or right to take another route to a certain place. And look at the 2D sections. Did you not see a rail above him for most of the level? That proves that he could have either taken the top path with the rail, or the bottom path (the one he took). That looks like alternative paths to me.

watch before you say 'weak argument NOOO'.

the game remains straight forward. the boost only gives the illusion that their are a lot of things going on, but the only thing that would be going on, that enemies and boxes will be destroyed, and sonic will say 'WOOH GO'.

Too much empty space, and where is the platforming? its barley their.

Edited by speedduelist

watch before you say 'weak argument NOOO'.

the game remains straight forward. the boost only gives the illusion that their are a lot of things going on, but the only thing that would be going on, that enemies and boxes will be destroyed, and sonic will say 'WOOH GO'.

Too much empty space, and where is the platforming? its barley their.

I DID watch them. In fact, I can assure you that I watched them more closely than you did hence why I was able to observe and see the alternate routes whilst you clearly weren't.

Also, you clearly don't know what platforming is. Platforming is not just jumping on suspended blocks. It may be the most basic and most prominent form, but it is not the only form. For example, jumping between and across rails is platfoming. Using springs to thrust onto higher platforms is platforming. Platforming is more about getting to certain areas. In Unleashed this is done in a variety of ways and quite a few are pretty interesting.

Furthermore, it's pretty sad that you exploit the areas that you thought had the least platforming. Go pick a video of Eggmanland or Chun-nan and tell me that those don't have platforming in. There are plenty of opportunities in those levels to jump across platforms to get to other areas.

they put a -1 on your rep.

got used to some forum members here being biased at me lol

Would you honestly like to know why some members are "biased" against you? Well a few reasons to be honest:

1) You consistently spam videos to get a point across because you clearly realise that you cannot get a decent point across without them.

2) You frequently persist at an argument even when people buried your argument into the ground.

3) You refuse to properly read and/or listen to what others have to say (not only that, but the majority of the time they actually have a more intelligent and worthwile input that you do)

4) You are hypocritical pretty damn often (I've seen many instances where you state how everything is down to opinion, only for say that your "opinion" on a rather subjective topic is fact)

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 3

Haters are going to hate :)

We hate the dumb repetitive posts, not you personally.

And while I'm at it, I'll add that your constant use of bold letters is getting tiring, it looks like you're yelling all the time, and it comes off like you're raging or something. Just saying.

Edited by Inferno

I DID watch them. In fact, I can assure you that I watched them more closely than you did hence why I was able to observe and see the alternate routes whilst you clearly weren't.

Also, you clearly don't know what platforming is. Platforming is not just jumping on suspended blocks. It may be the most basic and most prominent form, but it is not the only form. For example, jumping between and across rails is platfoming. Using springs to thrust onto higher platforms is platforming. Platforming is more about getting to certain areas. In Unleashed this is done in a variety of ways and quite a few are pretty interesting.

Furthermore, it's pretty sad that you exploit the areas that you thought had the least platforming. Go pick a video of Eggmanland or Chun-nan and tell me that those don't have platforming in. There are plenty of opportunities in those levels to jump across platforms to get to other areas.

Jumping on rails is platforming? okay?

but other than jumping on rails, the game is forcing you to go straight forward, their are even a lot of speed boosters around shamar and apotos and not to mention empty space lol.

I mean you can't deny that the stage is 90% running and grinding on rails LOL, the interactivity is just too low on both of those stages.

their isn't much you could do in that stage other than occasionally jump while being on rails.

here is another video that further proves my point :

(90% of this stage is drifting and quick stepping, like the great racing games except with new abilities and no opponent).

and here is another one :

1) You consistently spam videos to get a point across because you clearly realise that you cannot get a decent point across without them.

2) You frequently persist at an argument even when people buried your argument into the ground.

3) You refuse to properly read and/or listen to what others have to say (not only that, but the majority of the time they actually have a more intelligent and worthwile input that you do)

4) You are hypocritical pretty damn often (I've seen many instances where you state how everything is down to opinion, only for say that your "opinion" on a rather subjective topic is fact)

that never happened. feel free to prove it :)

We hate the dumb repetitive posts, not you personally.

And while I'm at it, I'll add that your constant use of bold letters is getting tiring, it looks like you're yelling all the time, and it comes off like you're raging or something. Just saying.

I was never yelling, when I bold a Text, I put it that way so i can show the most important part of my post, you should consider before replying.

if you think other wise... well go bash every one who uses the bolded texts, :)

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1