Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

So basically you're saying that black knight was a short game with a lot of story... So wait, doesn't that make the actual game shorteR?

Its a timing issue I think, yea its awkward. But once u master it is tight controls.

What do you mean timing issue? Sorry, let me translate that: What do u mean timing issue? U press the button and the onscreen character instantly responds. What timing?

People get annoyed because you still have to push forward to run. Which means you have to push DIAGONALLY to do a horizontal movement. It's a bit awkward and doesn't feel as natural as using the shoulder buttons.

On Wiimote controls it makes sense, but people using Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller get flummoxed by it.

• Thumbs Up 1

People get annoyed because you still have to push forward to run. Which means you have to push DIAGONALLY to do a horizontal movement. It's a bit awkward and doesn't feel as natural as using the shoulder buttons.

On Wiimote controls it makes sense, but people using Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller get flummoxed by it.

Oooh, now I get it. Thanks, JezMM.

Yeah, I can totally see how that'd be annoying at first. Guess I was having too much fun to notice until I'd already gotten used to it. Okay, my bad. Carry on.

... No not really, atleast not most of the time since Sonic is on rails and has a ridiculously low slow down. I've not touched the control stick and he's gone running for atleast 5 seconds before anything was notable. In fact, at some times I'm not even sure he stops at all.

Really the quick-step is really not as bad as you guys make it out to be. Like the jump uncurling, its another preconception that's interpreted differently than the game expects you to do. Moreover, I don't see what the trouble lies with the drift either. This is practically the HD Drift upgraded to work a lot better and alot more effectively, compared to Unleashed which had a shittastic drift with amazingly poor traction, especially when you boosted.

Edited by Carbo

... No not really, atleast not most of the time since Sonic is on rails and has a ridiculously low slow down. I've not touched the control stick and he's gone running for atleast 5 seconds before anything was notable. In fact, at some times I'm not even sure he stops at all.

Really the quick-step is really not as bad as you guys make it out to be. Like the jump uncurling, its another preconception that's interpreted differently than the game expects you to do. Moreover, I don't see what the trouble lies with the drift either. This is practically the HD Drift upgraded to work a lot better and alot more effectively, compared to Unleashed which had a shittastic drift with amazingly poor traction, especially when you boosted.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I admit, I was never one for the control stick the different Wii controllers supplied. The GC one is alot more solid it feels, and I can understand why Wiimote+Nunchuck combo can be a bit of a bother. But quick-step is still really a pretty overestimated thing to work with, especially for something that on average doesnt appear more than about twice or three times a zone.

Nice one Aries! There is one major point that I think is incorrect though:

Unlike Sonic 4, Lives here are rare! and you will need them!

Lives are actually rather common. Once you finish the level keep jumping into the numbers of the score you got. If you hit all of them you will DEFINATELY get a life. Also, getting an S rank gives you an extra 3 lives on top of this.

I admit, I was never one for the control stick the different Wii controllers supplied. The GC one is alot more solid it feels, and I can understand why Wiimote+Nunchuck combo can be a bit of a bother. But quick-step is still really a pretty overestimated thing to work with, especially for something that on average doesnt appear more than about twice or three times a zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I've discovered what my main problem with the story is. Forget the length issues and all that... my main problem is the Wisps. Not them in general, because they're cute as a button. My problem is that I really just don't give a damn about them... because they don't give me a reason to care about them. It's all just, "Oh look, aliens in trouble! Let's save them!" 5 hours later, nothing has really happened other than, "YAY! We win!" GAME OVER.

Sooooooooo, why am I helping them again? Just out of the goodness of my heart is the obvious answer, but that kind of makes the Wisps easily replaceable with any other creature in distress with no real backstory or reason to really want to help them. If it wasn't them, it could have been anything, which really degrades the Wisps worth/appeal.

And I think that's what leads to the lack of an epic feel to the story. Even Princess Elise, quite possibly the most universally hated character in the Sonic Universe outside of Chris Thorndike, was able to make me give a damn about her a little because of the situation she was thrown into against her will as a child. Animal kissing aside, they actually made me sympathize with her and help her in her time of need.

Heck, you could even go all the way back to SONIC 3 with Knuckles being duped into helping Eggman and wanting to help him get revenge for that having more sympathy from me than for the Wisps. And that's a game with no cutscenes or dialogue to work on me with, what you see is what you get.

Add in the fact that most of the Wisps are practically useless or not completely necessary in the game and you make it kind of difficult for me to want to take the role of Sonic and save the day for them.

Or I could just be a heartless prick... take you pick. :lol:

I'd go for heartless prick. Remember

cutscene? Not even Sonic 3 & Knuckles showed you what Eggman was DOING to the animals. Here, you get a firsthand view of him literally sucking the life out of the wisps.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me. LOL But, yeah, that was probably the only scene that did make me feel a little bad for the little Wisps, but they never really built off of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah the story in Colors feels alot more light-hearted and straight out of a saturday-morning cartoon, which works for me really. Sonic doesn't really need much more than that I think, it works well and it feels quite in line to how he was usually portrayed in the alternative mediums back in the day when we'd probably laugh if someone brought up the idea of monster of the week becoming a status quo for future Sonic games.

Everyone goes on to call Unleashed and the other games for "Epic Storytelling". Personally I can't see that, all I see is huge monsters bringing world annihalation and super transformations in high-budget CGI cutscenes. I can't really get a sense of "epicness" from any form of medium that pretty much forces it onto the story, more than often in Sonic this usually ended up being downright cheesy or just plain dull. It seemed like it always tried to hard with what it was doing, even Unleashed did that. With Colors, it feels like the story knows what it wants to be, and doesn't pull off needless effort to be that. It wants to be fun, be about saving the world and teaching kids that enslaving aliens is no good.

Edited by Carbo

I just beat the game. Fun game, but yes, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too short. I don't know, it just missed that epic feel to it. I have overall mixed feelings about it in the long run. I mean, it was fun for a quick little romp, but not much else. Just my opinion.

Great end credits sequence, btw.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice one Aries! There is one major point that I think is incorrect though:

Lives are actually rather common. Once you finish the level keep jumping into the numbers of the score you got. If you hit all of them you will DEFINATELY get a life. Also, getting an S rank gives you an extra 3 lives on top of this.

Edited by Aries

Yeah, I never even got close to a game over. I have like 90 something lives. :lol: Just as I thought all the reviews complaining about the game having "super frustrating parts that will make you want to throw your controller at the wall in a furious rage" were full of shit. A lot of reviews claimed the same thing about NSMBW and Galaxy 2 and I got through them just fine as well. Granted all three games had tricky places where I died a few times, but I like a challenge in my platformers. I'd much rather hit a tricky level that drains me of a few lives instead of easily blowing through the game like the new Kirby or something.

Also is it just me or does the game become MUCH more fun the more time you spend with it? Ever since I got the controls down and understood how the wisps worked I've been having an absolute blast!

Not everyone is a SpeedFREAK like you Speedfreak ;p

This is why Schools are BS, not everyone is a fast learner.

Fun fact, many geniuses like Einstein were slow learners. >:3

everyone is strong on an area, learn to be aware that everyone has their powers and their weakness, nobody is perfect.

Edited by Aries

Also is it just me or does the game become MUCH more fun the more time you spend with it? Ever since I got the controls down and understood how the wisps worked I've been having an absolute blast!

Yes, this game gets fun as you learn the controls and timing.

So the first play-through can be frustrating then it gets easy.

I agree. My recent Challenge Mode playthrough was my most fun experience with the game. Didn't have to worry about ranks or red rings(unless I wanted them for the score), and I had a firm grasp on all the levels and their mechanics.

Zero Punctuation isn't counted by MetaCritic because: 1) It doesn't use scoring 2) Yahtzee hates everything as his gimmick.

Speaking of;

xe0psi.png

Although, The Escapist review things for their Review Supplement, and usually these are incorporated to MC aggregates.

Edited by Carbo

Ratchet and Clank is as much of a platformer as Sonic Unleashed is a RPG.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

SCEE

Insomniac Games , SCE/WWS

3D Platformer

What, just becuase Ratchet doesn't spend 50% of the game jumping between little squares it's not a platform game? By the definition of 'platform game' you guys in here seem to have Mega Man and Sonic Colours are the only platform games in existence.