Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

Well looks like Colors isn't as ground breaking as I thought. Because its following the same trend every 3D game goes through splitting the fanbase between gameplay styles.

Sonic Adventure- People love the extra characters, people hate the extra characters

Sonic Adventure 2-People say its the Best 3D game, People say its overratted

Sonic Heroes-People love the team gameplay, People hate the team gameplay.

Shadow the Hedgehog-People love the Guns, People Hate the Guns

Sonic 06-People feel its the worse of the 3D games, People think its Ok.

Sonic Unleashed-People Hate the Werehog, People love the Werehog

Sonic Colors-People love the platforming, People hate the platforming

I'm convinced, there won't be a 3D game everybody loves. It will never happen, Sega can make the best game ever like they tried with this one, and people will always complain, this is the fate of Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 3

Would you kindly knock it off with the whole "people will always complain" BS that's always brought up about Sonic? No shit not everyone will be pleased, there is not one single thing on this entire planet that 100% of all human beings will like. And Colors is possibly the most well-received 3D game among Sonic fans yet, yet you tell me this fanbase remains "unpleasable"? God forbid some people don't like it, really it's serious business.

• Thumbs Up 5

Would you kindly knock it off with the whole "people will always complain" BS that's always brought up about Sonic? No shit not everyone will be pleased, there is not one single thing on this entire planet that 100% of all human beings will like. And Colors is possibly the most well-received 3D game among Sonic fans yet, yet you tell me this fanbase remains "unpleasable"? God forbid some people don't like it, really it's serious business.

Yeeeeeah, what's the big deal here? Shadic was just making an observation, and I agree with him 100%. I don't think there will ever again be a Sonic game that doesn't split people into at least two main camps. With all the style variations this series has seen over the years, it's just impossible to keep everyone completely satisfied.

Yeeeeeah, what's the big deal here? Shadic was just making an observation, and I agree with him 100%. I don't think there will ever again be a Sonic game that doesn't split people into at least two main camps. With all the style variations this series has seen over the years, it's just impossible to keep everyone completely satisfied.

Well what do you want me say, everything's peachy and this game is OK? I can't, you know why because someone will criticize it, and say why its not fun at all. Its been going on for past five pages. I still love this game, I'm just stating the facts. And the fact is, no game will be received well by everyone. We love this game, but as shown not everyone feels it deserves the praise its getting.

And...this is different from any product in the history of humankind...how?

Everything IS peachy. The majority like this game, and that's pretty cool. Now what's for dinner?

So I've been playing it for the third day now and I'm having a blast. Easily my most favorite 3D Sonic I think, mainly because I've had fun with every single level. I beat it yesterday around noon, and now I've been collecting the red rings, <3. I've gotten 161 out of the 180 so far without any help, so here's to finding them all on my own, XD!

-Blur

Edit: Got them all! Only needed a guide/ help for nine, in the end!

Edited by Mahzes

My default name was Storm. My nephew's was E-102.

Also LOL at that guy who said add the Werehog. People like you are the reason Sonic's been in the gutter for nearly the last decade.

This is coming from a guy who preferred the night time gameplay to the daytime gameplay in Unleashed (HD version)

My honest thoughts on that is that Colors took everything I hated about daytime Sonic and made it better. I can actually CONTROL Sonic now! If you ask me, The inly way I will tolerate daytime Sonic as it was in Unleashed, is if he's golden and flying.

Oh wait, Colors did THAT better too! That gameplay can stay gone then.

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't been hanging around here over the last week for fear of spoilers, but now that I have it I'm back.

The only complaint I had with the game was the odd jump. It felt weird at first, but after getting used to it I don't mind it any more. They really balanced the speed and platforming masterfully! Also the levels really open up and become a lot more fun once you have the wisps. All in all I think it's a fantastic game. Now to get to red ring hunting and S ranking!

Also LOL at that guy who said add the Werehog. People like you are the reason Sonic's been in the gutter for nearly the last decade.

I thought... subpar games were due to rushed development, executive meddling, and... other stuff to do with... I dunno, the developers?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't understand why someone is not allowed to not like this game. Yes it's by far the best quality Sonic game in who knows how long, but the game is certainly not "flawless." There's nothing wrong with preferring Unleashed cinematic-esque gameplay or Adventure style 3D sections. =/

• Thumbs Up 1

So it took me a while to 100% confirm it, but has anyone else noticed that this game only has 6 levels?

Every "act" is just a smaller portion or re-arranged version of one big level for each planet.

I guess it's just a different, more fun way of doing "missions" like in Secret Rings (and I'm not calling it that cheap, the re-arrangements are PROPER re-arrangements).

But... I sure would love to be able to play each level in it's entirity with the least gimmicky set-ups (so for example in Aquatic Park, you wouldn't find the Act 4(?) spring jumping mission section in the "full" version of the level, but you would probably face off against the new Act 5(?) interceptor at the end).

Actually, I have a theory since Unleashed did the exact same thing, you see they create a large 3D space, like a single 3D area, and then after that they program this 3D area for the different acts to follow a different path through the stage. I don't really mind as the areas never feel the same, but if you pay attention some of the areas are definitely the same but also different.

As said I am 100% sure what they do is they create a 3D space, like in Aquarium Park they created the whole dome area, or in Asteroid Coaster they create the inside planet and outside space areas, and then they program a path for each act through this space.

This reminds me when people were glitching to find "unused" areas in the Sonic Unleashed stages that later turned out to be areas they would use in the DLC stages.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

I thought it was pretty cool when I noticed that Sweet Mountain Act 2 picked up right where Act 1 left off. It would have flowed better though if they went right into each other like in S3&K. Then again, that might be tough to pull off since the next level would have to be fully loaded up by the time you reach the end of the first.

Loving this game, it's a blast. But the biggest question is how will sega top Colors?

Oh, there's plenty of room for improvement on Colors, it's not the perfect game. Which actually makes me excited for the next game, because if Colors was this good, the next game will (hopefully) be better.

Actually, I have a theory since Unleashed did the exact same thing, you see they create a large 3D space, like a single 3D area, and then after that they program this 3D area for the different acts to follow a different path through the stage. I don't really mind as the areas never feel the same, but if you pay attention some of the areas are definitely the same but also different.

As said I am 100% sure what they do is they create a 3D space, like in Aquarium Park they created the whole dome area, or in Asteroid Coaster they create the inside planet and outside space areas, and then they program a path for each act through this space.

This reminds me when people were glitching to find "unused" areas in the Sonic Unleashed stages that later turned out to be areas they would use in the DLC stages.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it was planned in Unleashed's case like it was in Colours. It seems more that they planned to make the levels longer, and the reason some DLC stages use "unused" areas is simply because it's much easier to make two copies of the same large map and block off half of it, than split the map into two and re-optimise it.

Well, probably, I'm no expert.

I'm sorry what? That was a totally unnecessary attack, no-one has ever asked for the alternate playstyles, it's not anyone's fault but technical limitations and Sonic Team's cowardice at dealing with them (up until now).

If you ask me, The inly way I will tolerate daytime Sonic as it was in Unleashed, is if he's golden and flying.

Oh wait, Colors did THAT better too! That gameplay can stay gone then.

I die from bottomless pits far more often in Colours with Super Sonic than I do with general gameplay in Unleashed, so I have to disagree that Colours did it better. I find Super Sonic a pretty pointless and dissapointing unlockable after all this fanfare. The stages just aren't built for him.

Edited by JezMM

I didn't say entire levels. I said LEVEL DESIGN. Previous sections of level design are reused in later levels but tweaked slightly (as I said, Wisps etc). This does not apply to entire levels. This can apply to sections of levels too.

I don't need to give an example. You just need to go back and look properly.

I searched but I couldn't find any thing but Planet Wisp Act 3.

You are the one who is in need for searching to prove your point any ways ^_^

@JezMM

The stages may not be built for Super Sonic, but it marks a beginning.

Future titles may well make SS more purposeful in-game, but at least there is now a higher chance of actually seeing SS in a 3D game from here on out; which is a lovely prospect.

I mean its about time.

Frankly with Colours though; I think they tacked in on at the very last minute. Probably after how excited people got after seeing Super Sonic in S4.

I mean they didn't even have time to come up with a decent bit of music for him. Its literally the first two bars of "Reach for the stars" which is tiny.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't understand why someone is not allowed to not like this game.

I have no idea who said that, cause I sure didn't :|

I'm sorry what? That was a totally unnecessary attack, no-one has ever asked for the alternate playstyles, it's not anyone's fault but technical limitations and Sonic Team's cowardice at dealing with them (up until now).

You can't argue the fact that some idea are just broken by design though. Look at all the people who say that fixing all the glitches and adding all the canned features wouldn't make Sonic the hedgehog a better game (I obviously disagree and you can figure out why). Werehog probably being the best example, since I found it to be executed FLAWLESSLY on the 360/PS3 versions of Unleashed.

I die from bottomless pits far more often in Colours with Super Sonic than I do with general gameplay in Unleashed, so I have to disagree that Colours did it better. I find Super Sonic a pretty pointless and disappointing unlockable after all this fanfare. The stages just aren't built for him.

First off, that may be just you, or it could be just me. I died WAY more often at the hands of Daytime Sonic's slippery controls and pit ridden level design more than I have to Super Sonic gameplay in colors (in fact, pits are the exception for me in the latter)

Second, the obvious solution is to simply build levels for Super Sonic gameplay, which I think both 4 and Colors did a tolerable job at, 4 moreso than Colors though.

@JezMM

The stages may not be built for Super Sonic, but it marks a beginning.

Future titles may well make SS more purposeful in-game, but at least there is now a higher chance of actually seeing SS in a 3D game from here on out; which is a lovely prospect.

I mean its about time.

Also this. I've waited a whole ten years for this, god dammit ;_;

Edited by Aquaslash

So it took me a while to 100% confirm it, but has anyone else noticed that this game only has 6 levels?

Every "act" is just a smaller portion or re-arranged version of one big level for each planet.

I guess it's just a different, more fun way of doing "missions" like in Secret Rings (and I'm not calling it that cheap, the re-arrangements are PROPER re-arrangements).

But... I sure would love to be able to play each level in it's entirity with the least gimmicky set-ups (so for example in Aquatic Park, you wouldn't find the Act 4(?) spring jumping mission section in the "full" version of the level, but you would probably face off against the new Act 5(?) interceptor at the end).

I wouldn't call it going through the same level twice, so much as I'd say it's reusing assets across different acts. It's like Radical Highway and Mission Street in Sonic Adventure 2; they're undeniably different levels, but they reuse assets. In fact I'd say it's no different to the way that, in Sonic 1, levels would have 3 acts that are visually identical and built from the same set pieces but are still distinct from one another.

Act 1 and Act 5 of Asteroid Coaster for example are very different acts. There's no way around it. All of the best platform games reuse assets between levels; t's the reason why they manage to squeeze so much out of Mario. Some games do it in different ways - by having multiple characters play through the same levels, by adding Mario-esque missions to areas, or by reusing set pieces to create different areas ala most 2D games - but every game has fundamental cuts like this. No game has the ultimate budget, the ultimate dev team or the longest amount of time to make a game so they're always making do with creative methods.

It's just the way of the gaming world.

Edited by Gamer18

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it was planned in Unleashed's case like it was in Colours. It seems more that they planned to make the levels longer, and the reason some DLC stages use "unused" areas is simply because it's much easier to make two copies of the same large map and block off half of it, than split the map into two and re-optimise it.

Well, probably, I'm no expert.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

I searched but I couldn't find any thing but Planet Wisp Act 3.

You are the one who is in need for searching to prove your point any ways ^_^

• Thumbs Up 3