Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

The farthest I'd like to see "alternative" gameplay go is maybe having the levels replayable with other characters with their unique abilities coming into play. No influence on the main game/story, just a nice little side thing to have as an unrequired (wait for it) alternative to playing the levels just as Sonic.

Sorry I like alternative gamplay in my Sonic.

This is one of the reason I play Sonic,that and the story.

It was something Sonic had that the others didn't.

The Soundtrack - 9/10 The orchestral score is beautiful, the zone themes are some of the best I've ever heard and the sound quality alone is wonderful. Aquatic Park Act 1 is one of my favorite Sonic themes ever! This is one of, if not Sonic's best Soundtrack ever. On that note, the vocal songs were cheesier than usual and pretty horrible. They're so bad, they make me wish for Crush 40 back! :lol:

Oh god. D:

Apart from the blatant Scrap Brain bit, I didn't even NOTICE the Sonic simulator stages were Sonic 1 remakes.

*needs to go back and replay them now to check*

I've only had to resort to help for seven of the red rings so far, I need six more now and will probably need help for those too. >.> I'm losing patience with looking for them on the DS version though (they're a lot harder to find in that, I'm finding), yet still want to get them all, so will probably use a guide for more of those.

I'll admit, I'm usually pretty bad in terms of having the patience to scour levels looking for small, hidden objects. Sun/ Mood medals in HD Unleashed were an absolute nightmare for me, and I didn't even try to get them all.

Edited by Mahzes

Oh god. D:

Apart from the blatant Scrap Brain bit, I didn't even NOTICE the Sonic simulator stages were Sonic 1 remakes.

Wait...WHAT?

What?!

Wait...WHAT?

What?!

In the Sonic Simulator...

1-1 is a remake of Green Hill Zone act 1

2-1 is a remake of Marble Zone act 1

4-1 is a remake of Spring Yard Zone act 1

5-1 is a remake of Labyrinth Zone act 1

6-1 is a remake of Starlight Zone act 1

3-2 is a remake of Scrap Brain Zone act 1

I also hear one of the stages is a remake of one of the Hidden Islands in Rush Adventure but haven't noticed it yet.

EDIT: Though looking at what I just wrote down it likely would be in one of the 7 stages as it seems each set has a retro stage, so likely one of the 7-? stages is the Hidden Island since 1-6 each have one remake stage in it's set each.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

@Galaxy Man: Enough already. Telling me there's something wrong in my Brain over a Wii game. REALLY? If you really must do so, do it in my topic. Don't ruin this one again.

This pretty much sums up the reception of this game.

There are two types of Sonic Fans...Rushers and Platformers. Surprising people who play Sonic Games are more Platformers. "Rush" type Sonic games didn't come into the game till later in the series or more or less known as the "modern Sonic Fan"

Sonic Colors is a Platformer...not a rush type Sonic like unleashed and after I played Colors a bit more aftering getting it and not on my dolphin. Colors is an excellent package, but it is missing the "thrill" factor of unleashed. I can appreciate both gameplay styles, but if SEGA wants to deliver to all the fanbase Sega gonna need to mix things up a bit. There not a lot of places on Colors that gives you that thrill feeling you get from playing Sonic games at high speed unless your gameplay is Spot on.

Not a bad game at all it just a Sonic Game that caters to a different type...and over all majority of the Sonic Fan Base.

Nice post, but I don't entirely agree. My favourite Sonic is Sonic CD, and I hated the platforming in Colours. I don't quite get why you guys can't see where I'm coming from - the platforming in Colours consists almost entirely of the same tiny square platforms just dotted around, like a fan game... I mean that's incredibly cheap level design, and artificial challenge. I suppose they kinda resemble some parts in Sonic 1 (Scrap Brain, Spring Yard) but even in that game those sections were a little more interesting and had more variety. For me, it's not about just running from the start to the finish, but neither is it about running fast through parts (almost completely automated in Colours, might I add) and then slowing to a crawl for every platforming section. It's about balancing both without separating them. In Colours I feel like it keeps swapping between a partially automated Sonic game and a really cheap platformer. Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2 is the perfect Sonic level in my opinion.

Really, the spoecific NES game isn't important, the point I'm driving at is that it doesn't really feel like Sonic platforming. The classics seldom required much precision, having copious landing zones that allowed for overshoot(and often constructed in ways that precluded overshoot altogether), they typically allowed the player to progress at whatever pace the were able to, very few things require the player to wait for long. It feels like I have to be way too careful and methodical in Colors.

^ Nailed it.

• Thumbs Up 2

^

Again I find it strange that people are going against gameplay that was in the classics....Its really weird how many people I have started to notice have double standards.

To Call Colors weak is calling Sonic3&K weak for its platforming. Or a lot of people are just CLAIMING sonic3&K to be their fav when its not. Sonic Colors may not be my Ideal Sonic game for me, but its a SOLID game in its own regard and deserves praise for getting us out of a 10 year slump.

To be honest Sonic Colors is more akin to the classic fans....you guys got Unleashed...let the classic fans be happy with a 3D game....for once....

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

This pretty much sums up the reception of this game.

There are two types of Sonic Fans...Rushers and Platformers. Surprising people who play Sonic Games are more Platformers. "Rush" type Sonic games didn't come into the game till later in the series or more or less known as the "modern Sonic Fan"

I'm feeling rather sad to hear people oppose Unleashed and Colors like that, saying there are two kinds of fans, because for me neither game was that great.

I actually had a bit more fun with the Werehog levels of Unleashed (for the platforming, not for the battles) than with the daytime levels.

I like the Mega Drive classics, but the 2D in Colors didn't feel the same and was rather boring.

I like the Adventure games, but the 3D in both Unleashed and Colors lacks all the freedom, platforming and exploration.

So, what kind of fan am I?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm feeling rather sad to hear people oppose Unleashed and Colors like that, saying there are two kinds of fans, because for me neither game was that great.

I actually had a bit more fun with the Werehog levels of Unleashed (for the platforming, not for the battles) than with the daytime levels.

I like the Mega Drive classics, but the 2D in Colors didn't feel the same and was rather boring.

I like the Adventure games, but the 3D in both Unleashed and Colors lacks all the freedom, platforming and exploration.

So, what kind of fan am I?

To be honest the Sonic/Shadow levels in the adventure games did not have that much exploring...I don't know where everyone getting this from. I feel Unleashed stages are you SA/SA2 stages speed up in certain areas. Hell Unleashed had more alternate paths than some adventure stages.

Now if we are talking about alternate gameplay...then that were you and me really disagree...because alternative gameplay isn't going to save this franchise...at all.

Question did you enjoy Asteroid Coaster Act 1?

To be honest the Sonic/Shadow levels in the adventure games did not have that much exploring...I don't know where everyone getting this from. I feel Unleashed stages are you SA/SA2 stages speed up in certain areas. Hell Unleashed had more alternate paths than some adventure stages.

Now if we are talking about alternate gameplay...then that were you and me really disagree...because alternative gameplay isn't going to save this franchise...at all.

Question did you enjoy Asteroid Coaster Act 1?

True, "exploration" might not be the term I'm looking for... but it's not a matter of number of alternate paths, it has more to do with the way the stages are constructed. The 3D parts in Unleashed and Colors are like race tracks... I may try to explain it better when I have more time.

I'm not talking about alternate gameplays, though. Even if I liked most of them, I know there are not a good idea.

I didn't particularly like or dislike Asteroid Coaster Act 1. It didn't leave me any particular impression when I played, and after looking at a video of it, I thought it looked rather bland.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Asteroid Coaster Act 1, myself. One of, if not the only, level I really enjoyed in the game. It is, to me, probably the only level where the game really flowed smoothly, and the platforming was fun without breaking up the tempo. Even fans of the game really seem to notice that this level feels decidedly different than the others in the game.

As I said before, platformers are my absolute favorite genre. Heck, 99% of my entire games library consists of platformers. I'd take one over any other kind of game, easily. But Sonic Colors, while it seems to be the kind of game that a platforming fan like me would absolutely adore, just doesn't scratch my platforming itch like the classics did, or like other games in genre like Mario and Donkey Kong Country do. Really wish it was different, that I could love the game as the rest of you do, but I just can't.

I still find it odd people compare the platforming in Colours to the classics. The only place that really reminds me of the "classics" is the platforming segments in Planet Wisp since they have quite a few curvy bits. I guess Aquatic Park too for it's massive alternate routes.

But generally speaking the main bulk of the platforming is either using Wisp powers, or tiny platforms. Neither of which are "Sonic" platforming. The 3D parts feel the most "Sonic" to me, and of course as discussed, they're painfully watered down.

Great end credits sequence, btw.

Oh, totally random thing, but I was actually dissapointed with the credits sequence. Goes on for way too long. Credits minigames are fun (and honestly I just KNEW Colours would have one since both New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 had one), but it's no fun if they don't at least keep your score. 8( I was like "Why am I doing this, they better tell me how much I destroyed at the end, or at least how many rings I grabbed". They didn't. Maybe the 1-Ups you get are proportional to your performance, so that's something but... I get 5 every time so, I dunno.

Next time I demand a minigame that actually involves running too.

Edited by JezMM

Oh god, that was the longest credits I've ever seen. About halfway through I just put the controller down. And that music...

So how's Sonic Rush 3, uh, I mean, Sonic Colors DS? AWFUL boss fights aside, I think the Rush series are fine games, and its more of that with Wisp powers, I think I can check this one out.

• Thumbs Up 1

So how's Sonic Rush 3, uh, I mean, Sonic Colors DS? AWFUL boss fights aside, I think the Rush series are fine games, and its more of that with Wisp powers, I think I can check this one out.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? Rush's bosses were pretty lousy, yeah, but Rush Adventure might have had the most unique and entertaining set of boss fights of any game in the series. My biggest disappointment with Colours DS (although I admittedly haven't played it yet, so I might be off base here) is that its bosses don't look nearly as good as Rush Adventure's. They're less creative, at any rate, because they follow the same pattern of repeating styles as the Wii version does, and they seem just as ridiculously easy.

Then Include the Werehog!

It took me 3 days to beat unleashed and more then that for 06.

I feel that you shouldn't be able to beat the story in a main Sonic game in a day or within 5 hours.

If it was a spinoff or cost as much as the DS version this wouldn't be a complaint.

You're saying they should've put an annoying alternate mode into the game just so it'd take you longer to reach the end credits. This is your opinion. These are the actual words you are tying on your keyboard. You...you...

Ow, my brain! This thing has replay value up the wazoo, but nooooo you want Sonic should produce YET ANOTHER crapfest with shitty reviews just so you, YOU, could take longer to reach the credits. You are a real meanie towards the franchise you claim to be a fan of, sir. A real meanie, indeed.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe anyone actually came in here thinking they would get platforming in the style of the classics. This isn't a classic-styled game, and unlike Sonic 4, it wasn't advertised to be one either. The platforming may not be as Sonic-esque as it could (and perhaps should, to some people) be but it's still good and it's nice to see them actually putting it in the game properly.

Of course, that's just my two pennies.

Edited by Jaymeister

You're saying they should've put an annoying alternate mode into the game just so it'd take you longer to reach the end credits. This is your opinion. These are the actual words you are tying on your keyboard. You...you...

Ow, my brain! This thing has replay value up the wazoo, but nooooo you want Sonic should produce YET ANOTHER crapfest with shitty reviews just so you, YOU, could take longer to reach the credits. You are a real meanie towards the franchise you claim to be a fan of, sir. A real meanie, indeed.

look, this is the first Main 3D Sonic game that I have ever beat the story on the day it was released.

To me that it feels too short and left me saying "that was it? I could have just rented this game."

You say it has replay value up the wazoo and it does for these that are enjoying the game...which I'm not.

As soon as I 100% this i don't think I'm ever going to play it again. when i want my Sonic fix, I'll just play me favorite stages for unleashed and SA2 like I've been doing.

About the whole Include the Werehog thing, if that's the ONLY way to make Sonic games longer....then I'm not against it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it took me a while to 100% confirm it, but has anyone else noticed that this game only has 6 levels?

Every "act" is just a smaller portion or re-arranged version of one big level for each planet.

I guess it's just a different, more fun way of doing "missions" like in Secret Rings (and I'm not calling it that cheap, the re-arrangements are PROPER re-arrangements).

But... I sure would love to be able to play each level in it's entirity with the least gimmicky set-ups (so for example in Aquatic Park, you wouldn't find the Act 4(?) spring jumping mission section in the "full" version of the level, but you would probably face off against the new Act 5(?) interceptor at the end).

Edited by JezMM

Almost every act is 3 Minutes Long with tons of ways to archive S Rank (some are 5-4 minutes long),

and All level designs are different than the others each has its own gimmick, those gimmicks are no way near missions.

I don't see any rehashed in sonic colors except in only 1 act which is planet wisp act 3, which rehashed the last part of act 1 but with level design changes.

but that is it.

Almost every act is 3 Minutes Long with tons of ways to archive S Rank (some are 5-4 minutes long),

and All level designs are different than the others each has its own gimmick, those gimmicks are no way near missions.

I don't see any rehashed in sonic colors except in only 1 act which is planet wisp act 3, which rehashed the last part of act 1 but with level design changes.

but that is it.

They rehash the level design frequently. You simply aren't being very observant. The reason why it's not obvious though is because of the fact that they always add a Wisp or something to freshen up the rehashed sections. It's a clever idea imo and it works great.

They rehash the level design frequently. You simply aren't being very observant. The reason why it's not obvious though is because of the fact that they always add a Wisp or something to freshen up the rehashed sections. It's a clever idea imo and it works great.

Planet wisp act 3 is really the only one.

Give me an example of a rehashed portion of a level except planet wisp act 3.

There were enough instances where I noticed that they were reusing content/environments from another act, which wasn't a problem for me anyway. I mean it's not like they were carbon copies, it was more like that you were in the same place only with different route. No act felt the same however.

Edited by Jaouad

Planet wisp act 3 is really the only one.

Give me an example of a rehashed portion of a level except planet wisp act 3.

I didn't say entire levels. I said LEVEL DESIGN. Previous sections of level design are reused in later levels but tweaked slightly (as I said, Wisps etc). This does not apply to entire levels. This can apply to sections of levels too.

I don't need to give an example. You just need to go back and look properly.