Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I get the whole thing that the platforming is pretty basic.

However, I don't really understand why people have a problem with the platforms being rectangluar.

Seriously, they could have pasted any skin they wanted to and it would have been the same. Exactly the same.

Technically speaking most of the platforms in Unleashed were just random floating rectangular blocks.

Maybe its because there are more in Colours, and less in Unleashed....I dunno.

Thing is with 2D platforming, you can switch between planes, because everything is flat. When you move to 2.5D you can't plane switch without it looking awkward as fuck.

Prime example is the Mega Drive games. If you're standing underneath a platform, you can jump through it and land on it. You can't do that in Colours because its physically impossible. You have to step backwards and jump on it.

Perhaps that is what resulted in the decidedly awkward and basic platforming, with the over use of the conveyor belts in Planet Wisp.

Standout level by far was Aquarium Park though. That level had the best level design I've seen in a good long time, and it also had more curves and felt more organic.

Side note:

I think that if they had used the unrenovated sections of Planet Wisp, then the game would have died. Seriously, the amount of stuff on screen in that level was comparable to Adabat, and the framerate would have chugged so bad, especially considering that the levels are so damn huge.

Again, I think of this game as one pretty damn amazing experiment. Perhaps one of the most successful Experiments Sonic Team has ever conducted.

Some of the Wisps just seem to similar to alternate gameplay styles to be just taken as co-incidence. The majority of the level design was good, but the platforming was really formulaic. Like they were playing it safe. Only a few level really ventured away from this, and those stages tended to be the better ones; Aquarium Park being the perfect example of beautifully constructed level design; it was vast. Every time I played that stage it was slightly different.

And whatever the case may be, it is pretty much the gold-standard in terms of quality.

Well, I think the reason Colours could be done without 'Werehogs' or whatever else is because it is on the Wii. Quicker and easier to design levels becuase they don't have to look any good.

1. What? The console dosen't decide gameplay.

2. If you're talking about Colors then you cannot have played it.

I finished the DS version aside from all S ranks and most missions.

The Super Sonic boss was lame as fuck and really frustrating. Asteroid Coaster is also awful, it's like Altitude Limit all over again with the instant death sections everywhere that just frustrate. Aquarium Park is imo easily the best zone, second one being perhaps Planet Wisp. Everything else is fun but not stellar. I grant that the levels are huge though and the wisps add a lot of replay value once mastered. The laser is so satisfying once you get it right. Far fewer bottomless pits though, aside from the green shit in Asteroid Coaster.

Getting S ranks is murderously hard as well, you pretty much have to play perfectly, quickly, use loads of wisps, and get hit perhaps once max or so. Bosses are fun but nowhere near as good as the ones in Rush Adventure, though the use of the wisps against them is also satisfying, especially with the drill in Planet Wisp. Terminal Velocity was boring and annoying but at least it was brief and I beat it first time, though the Nega Wisp took a fair few tries. I S ranked it once I beat it though first time. Rehashed bosses are a bit annoying, but Starlight Carnival's probably gave me the most grief first time round.

The Special Stages were easy to get to and very easy to complete - I only failed the 7th one once, and that's it. Getting into that one was a bitch though with the retarded AI race thing, and I had to look in this thread to find out how to get into the 7th stage.

To sum up, Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival suffer from being surprisingly bland as there's not that much going on, and really hard to S rank. Asteroid Coaster is a piece of shit, but it's just a few certain sections that really drag it down. Terminal Veolcity I've already mentioned as being meh but short. Planet Wisp is pretty cool but I guess without the drill and rocket sections it'd be kinda bland, bu Aquarium Park has by far the best level design, but I'm also a sucker for a good fast paced water level (this, Hydrocity, Water Palace, Coral Cave, Pirates' Island).

I like it more than I did when I sucked more at it :P but it's not as inventive as Rush Adventure felt aside from the wisps. And only 6 full stages is a first in a 2D title since Sonic Advance.

Haven't really bothered to post what I think about the game (since I've playing the game so much and never post impressions so this is rare for me to do XD) I really love this game so much I haven't had this much fun with a Sonic game since...I first got Unleashed but I rather play this game even more than Unleashed now since it got way more 2D sections and real platforming unlike Unleashed did that was just BOOST BOOST BOOST all through the levels I'm glad they removed that but I do wish they removed the boost all together in this game it was kinda pointless at times for me (beside boosting away from that annoying massive Crab thing on Aquarium Park & Terminal Velocity *even though you can jump on Terminal Velocity Crab*).

I don't know what half of you are on about the Jump I think it's works great in Colours I haven't had much problems with it when I go jump on the platforms I''ve been using gamecube controller but I've used it with other controller options minus CC controller and the Jump was still great to use handles pretty well for me .

Storywise = Greatness, It's so simple but gets to the point without using so many cutscenes this is what I would like to see in future Sonic games none of that DEEP SERIOUS 6 HOURS FOR A CUTSCENE TO FINSH SONIC 06 shit just something simple like Sonic Colours but I'm not a story fan though I mainly play for the awesome gameplay than storys but I would like it like this in the next Sonic games.

Music mah gawd is just godly so amazing I just cannot stop listening to it off my iPod but I only have one problem with it and it's Super Sonic music is just too darn short and Speak with your heart is just terrible it can go die in a fire but lyrics ain't too bad just the singing is just bad. Best tracks in the game has to be Planet Wisp,Aquarium Park,Asteroid Coaster Act 3 and Phase 2 of the Final Boss.

The Sonic Simulator is maybe the best thing in the whole bloody game, I really enjoy playing this than the main levels I really do think that Sonic Team should do games like the Sonic Simulator (Mainly 2D) just you know more of a background, Original level design (didn't mind Sonic 1 level design for most levels which I think was a great idea of using) and the 8 Bit music was a nice touch than having normal tracks.

and I dunno what else to add to it other than I really love this game more than Sonic 4 but it could be better (Spin Dash plz remove Boost and playable Tails plz next game XD) and it is the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure & Sonic Advance for me (S3K doesn't count since that game is just god tier XD) and I would love it if Sonic Team moved back to mainly 2D Sonic in console game with the Colours gameplay style but that not going to happen with Sonic 4 Episode 1 out and other Episodes being made.

Edited by Shaddix da Immortal Enigma
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

While I'll admit Sonic Unleashed does feature a great deal of BOOSTBOOSTBOOST segments, I'd like to respectfully showcase this little platforming gem from the game:

Now THAT is how I feel the platforming in Colors should have been. The platforms are wide enough to jump on without going incredibly slow for fear of overstepping. The level flows, going from one platform to the other without having to slow to a crawl. And best of all, the camera isn't zoomed ridiculously far out and you can easily see where your character is at.

I really look forward to the next game from the Unleashed HD team, because in my humble opinion, I think they have much better level designers than the Storybook team.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The only difference in that video that I see with Colors' level design is that that level is simply prettier, has more homing attack based platforming and the level itself is a huge bottomless pit.

Its no more "Sonic-y platforming" than Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I was gonna say the only reason it's faster is because of the homing attack spam, the dash rings, and the light dash sections. When Sonic is actually platforming it's about the same as Colors.

Also no one has any tips for me on S ranking the Asteroid Coaster boss? :(

Also no one has any tips for me on S ranking the Asteroid Coaster boss? :(

The first thing you want to hit is one of the gun turrets. This will cause him to drop a Rocket wisp. Pick that up, get close to him and hit one of the searchlights. This will cause him to fly off into the 2d section of the fight. Dodge asteroids and when the ship flies over you(when you're in-between the two gun turrets) use the rocket wisp for super bonus points. Rinse and repeat for S-rank.

So basically what you guys are saying is, Colours indeed could have had more a sense of style and flow to it, but they chose to just have endless rectangles instead of the extra stuff to spice it up?

Damn though, I do love me some Spagonia, even if that level was a bitch and a half to S-rank. <3

So basically what you guys are saying is, Colours indeed could have had more a sense of style and flow to it, but they chose to just have endless rectangles instead of the extra stuff to spice it up?

.. Uh, no?

I don't even know how that is relevant to anything

.. Uh, no?

I don't even know how that is relevant to anything

Wat. You and speedfreak (speedfreak more than you) said the only difference was (basically) everything that makes the stage flow and keep a constant pace, rather than the STOP IT'S PLATFORMING TIME style of Colours.

The springs and rainbow rings and homing attacks are what keep the pace on the go... and you can't even really argue that those aren't platforming because they sure as hell aren't automated on that level. Anyone who has tried to play it thinking they are is probably the reason Unleashed's extra stages are so infamous for being "too hard".

Now the bottomless pit, that's a legit complaint yeah, I won't argue with that, there didn't NEED to be a bottomless pit (though I really don't mind as it's not a mandatory level, it's supposed to have zero-policy fail conditions).

I said in my post that the only difference between Unleashed and Colors in that one stage is that the platforming is homing attack centric, and yes the whole bottomless pit thing.

But if you want to talk about flow in Sonic, I'm fairly sure I've said this before, but in Colors, flow and speed is like the classics, a reward for doing something properly, where-as in Unleashed, the entire game seems to revolve around the premise that if you dont go with flow, you're playing the game wrong, in the later levels, the game pretty much punishes you if you dont speed on. This is my main problem with the game looking back at it.

That act in particular there while yes, its pretty fun, is still masked with poor design choice of using one move to cross half the level with little thought or merit. While yes there is flow, it doesn't play as its a reward you get for actually being good, its something that you for the most of the part have to keep up in order to progress. I don't find that necessarily a good design choice, especially with Sonic.

I will admit, I do find Unleashed fun, but I'm not going to ignore the flaws in it. Fun doesnt necessarily equal a proper designed game, Sonic 4 is a case in point for me. Colors feels more better in that its fun and has a more solid design. That's just me though.

Edited by Carbo

Look, I've got nothing against Sonic Unleashed. I still like it and I didn't start hating because Colors came along. I just like Colors more. The "generic" platforming in SC doesn't bother me because I've gotten so used to the controls that I CAN do those areas quickly. I was just trying to say when Sonic is actually jumping from platform to platform in SU and not flying along a trail of rings or getting shot from rainbow ring to rainbow ring the platforming is about the same as SC.

Edit Also I finally got an S rank on the bastard Asteroid Coaster boss! I've done everything now......TIME TO GO GET DONKEY KONG!

Edited by speedfreak

Then how about this:

There should be levels more like this (minus the Chao collecting). It features slower platforming and exploration, but it also has open areas that allow you to have more room to run. You can take it slow through the stage but if you have enough knowledge of your surroundings you can blast straight through it. There are no bottomless pits or cheap deaths; just straight up platforming and challenge, and backtracking (which you are rewarded for doing by tons of goodies). It has loads of depth and is way more immersible than the dodge-and-boost based race tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't even care that much. I don't think people are wrong for preferring SU over SC. :/ All things considered I just thought Colors was a much better game. I didn't care for the Werehog, the hubs, the Tornado levels, the medal collecting, and the more trial and error gameplay of SU. I though SC was a huge improvement. If you feel the opposite that's fine by me.

Haven't played that level, won't either as I'm not the kind of guy who usually indulges in DLC material. It does look like a better example however. If Colors would have more expanded 3D sections they sort of could have run like that.

Umm, that wasn't my point. I was saying that while I'm not a fan of the speedspeedspeed 3D areas, I'm not a fan of the blocks-suspended-in-midair 2D areas. I'd like a blend of good platforming and 3D exploration with more balancing of your speed, rather the game almost directly putting it towards you that "hey look guys its platforman time okay now that you just jumped across the blocks and used a Wisp powerup have some quick step and boost plz".

I'm not arguing that Colors did progression and flow much better though. My complaint is the level design.

Umm, that wasn't my point. I was saying that while I'm not a fan of the speedspeedspeed 3D areas, I'm not a fan of the blocks-suspended-in-midair 2D areas. I'd like a blend of good platforming and 3D exploration with more balancing of your speed, rather the game almost directly putting it towards you that "hey look guys its platforman time okay now that you just jumped across the blocks and used a Wisp powerup have some quick step and boost plz".

I'm not arguing that Colors did progression and flow much better though. My complaint is the level design.

I assume that was directed towards speedfreak's reply? lolninjas.

I guess we can agree to disagree on which problem outweighs the other. As said last page, I wouldn't mind a design like that but considering that's a DLC level, its not something I feel I can judge the core package on, which in the end does play more or less like speed steroids. I do see where people come from with the "suspended 2D platforms" in Colors, but for me thats not nearly as much of a bother and they dont come nearly as frequently as Unleashed's stigma to even be that much of a bother for me.

Edited by Carbo

I'm actually not a huge fan of that Shamar DLC level. I find it pretty overrated for how much praise it gets.

It was a good experiment level, I think what bothered me was that for all it's openness, there was a pretty linear path through to collect the Chao. It wasn't so much "Find all the Chao", but more of "Make sure you don't miss one!". The fact that on this linear route you pass through several very similar looking areas didn't help either.

The concept was fine but the execution is KINDA iffy... On the flipside, if I just think of it as a linear level which just happens to criss-cross all over the same sections it's a pretty fun one all the same.

Rather than using Unleashed as an example I'm going to point to Sonic Adventure.

Let's see the kinds of hazards and challenges in here...

Spiked balls and lasers, crane claws try to grab you, conveyor belts with spike-rollers, non-automated rotating tunnel, avoid falling off non-automated, non-quickstep, non-drift 3D area, large (interesting looking) moving platforms laid out cleverly, opening floor and lift, interestingly shaped platform, swinging hammers, spinning balls on chains, ladders, fans, automated sections are minimal and do stop if you don't press a direction (or if you press the wrong one)...

Sure, some of those things (fans, I remember) appear here and there, I remember fans in Asteroid Coaster, but for the most part Sonic Colours' challenges consist of jumping on the same little platforms dotted around seemingly at random and doing a bit of quickstepping in 3D.

Do I have to draw a diagram? :P

sonicplatforming.png

Now I'm not saying every game should have more tricks and traps than an Indiana Jones temple, but if the 3D bits are going to be almost completely automated or on rails, maybe the bits you're in control of should be a little more exciting and varied...

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Beat Sonic colours with all Red rings

great Game Cant Wait For the 20th Anniversary

Also Just Saw An Ad On The tv For It

It Had A Rock Styled 'I Can sing a Rainbow' Nursery rhyme to it

Edit: fixed Typos

Edited by Rawrdom

@ DistantJ

You realize that in that diagram pretty much how classic Sonic is right? Also that doesn't describe Colors in the least bit...because Colors has WAY more Alternate paths and crazy shit going on in Colors and Sonic Adventure which is linear as shit, looked dull, and boring.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now I'm not saying every game should have more tricks and traps than an Indiana Jones temple, but if the 3D bits are going to be almost completely automated or on rails, maybe the bits you're in control of should be a little more exciting and varied...

The 3D Sections aren't automated, Except star light carnival act 1.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1