Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I fucking love Mario Galaxy. But Mario games are Mario games and Sonic games are Sonic games.

Colours is an AMAZING platformer, I've never denied that once, but it's just not that kind of platformer I was expecting from a Sonic game, especially one that uses Unleashed's style as a base.

I was really looking forward to "Unleashed 2, the next 3D Sonic, with Wisp Powers!", but what I got was "Wisp Powers!... in the next 2D Sonic! (also with Unleashed diluted to patronising levels)".

It might seem strange because I'm arguing stuff so much on the forum, but honestly I have been playing this game TONS. I've nearly clocked up 24 hours already according to my save file. I really love it, but I just don't agree that this is how a Sonic game should be, 100%.

Oh, no one should say this is what Sonic should be, I have my complaints with the game as well, like the 3D areas just being there for eye candy, but oh well, I'm sure the next game will fix everything.

So, I've been playing this "Sonic Colours" game. First impressions?

Me = 1006734br6.th.jpg

Nah, I'm just fucking with you. Me actually =

ecstaticman.jpg

Perhaps it is too early to call, but I think Sonic Team may have finally done it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's my biggest problem with the game, too. Its clearly Unleashed inspired, from the gameplay mechanics of the 3d sections, to the move sets, to the models of the characters, but they missed the mark so damn much on that point. Sidestepping is worse, the QTE trick jumps are now just "LOL MASH THE A BUTTON HOLY SHIT YOU'RE AMAZING!", drifting is asstastic, and the speed is never up the intensity or thrill ride that Unleashed provides. I think all the great 2d style gameplay makes up for it, but its a little odd to be talking about the best 3d Sonic when the worst parts by far are...well, the 3d sections(which are actually in the minority in terms of 2d-3d ratio). I can definitely see people who wanted "Unleashed 2" being very disappointed with this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's my biggest problem with the game, too. Its clearly Unleashed inspired, from the gameplay mechanics of the 3d sections, to the move sets, to the models of the characters, but they missed the mark so damn much on that point. Sidestepping is worse, the QTE trick jumps are now just "LOL MASH THE A BUTTON HOLY SHIT YOU'RE AMAZING!", drifting is asstastic, and the speed is never up the intensity or thrill ride that Unleashed provides. I think all the great 2d style gameplay makes up for it, but its a little odd to be talking about the best 3d Sonic when the worst parts by far are...well, the 3d sections(which are actually in the minority in terms of 2d-3d ratio). I can definitely see people who wanted "Unleashed 2" being very disappointed with this game.

While I pretty much agree with you on everything, the thing is that this game ISN'T Unleashed 2; it's Sonic Colors. Just like Sonic Unleashed played differently than Secret Rings, this game has its own aesthetics and design choices that make it its own title. For this game, the 2D happens to be the focus, rather than the 3D, and the tempo of the game is more reminiscent of that found in the Megadrive/Genesis classics. While I think we can all agree that, for a possible sequel, the 3D segments as a whole should be polished and reworked to be a little... well, better, we also gotta realize that this ISN'T Unleashed 2. And no, I don't think it's Unleashed "inspired", but rather is simply trying to ground the tone and designs of the characters in what Unleashed established, as a precedent for future main series games so the franchise, as a whole, just feels more cohesive.

And personally, considering nearly every Sonic in recent memory has essentially been a racing game with 5% platforming thrown in, I think it's good that Sonic games are going back to their platforming roots, while still showing signs of the high-speed found in the newer entries to the series.

Edited by EXshad

I think I've discovered what my main problem with the story is. Forget the length issues and all that... my main problem is the Wisps. Not them in general, because they're cute as a button. My problem is that I really just don't give a damn about them... because they don't give me a reason to care about them. It's all just, "Oh look, aliens in trouble! Let's save them!" 5 hours later, nothing has really happened other than, "YAY! We win!" GAME OVER.

Sooooooooo, why am I helping them again? Just out of the goodness of my heart is the obvious answer, but that kind of makes the Wisps easily replaceable with any other creature in distress with no real backstory or reason to really want to help them. If it wasn't them, it could have been anything, which really degrades the Wisps worth/appeal.

And I think that's what leads to the lack of an epic feel to the story. Even Princess Elise, quite possibly the most universally hated character in the Sonic Universe outside of Chris Thorndike, was able to make me give a damn about her a little because of the situation she was thrown into against her will as a child. Animal kissing aside, they actually made me sympathize with her and help her in her time of need.

Heck, you could even go all the way back to SONIC 3 with Knuckles being duped into helping Eggman and wanting to help him get revenge for that having more sympathy from me than for the Wisps. And that's a game with no cutscenes or dialogue to work on me with, what you see is what you get.

Add in the fact that most of the Wisps are practically useless or not completely necessary in the game and you make it kind of difficult for me to want to take the role of Sonic and save the day for them.

Or I could just be a heartless prick... take you pick. :lol:

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ That was exactly my problem with the story too, in terms of how epic it was compared to Unleashed. I cared about Unleashed - I actually liked all the lil personalities they made for the hub world cast, not to mention the main characters (Wii version not so much, the hub world scripts in that were as dead as the cardboard cut-outs representing them).

Colours was just a bit too "here's a game lol SONIC VS EGGMAN" which is... what "the fans" have been asking for I guess.

Colours was just a bit too "here's a game lol SONIC VS EGGMAN" which is... what "the fans" have been asking for I guess.

I totally get that part. But if you are going to have a story, you have to have a protagonist I want to cheer on and help (Sonic), an antagonist whose ass I want to kick, but at the same time be appealing (Eggman) and have a reason for the protagonist and antagonist to collide that I care about (Wis.... err, sorry... it's not there).

If I just want Sonic vs. Eggman with nothing else getting in the way, I'll play SONIC 4. Which, just for the record, there's nothing wrong with wanting to do that, before anyone attacks me.

I will say it was nice to have the final battle be Sonic vs. Eggman. I couldn't have been the only one thinking, "I'm putting money on that the final battle will be Super Sonic vs. a giant evil Wisp".

But that might have been something to build off for a better story. Maybe there was one particular Wisp that had a hidden power that Eggman accidentally stumbled upon while collecting the others (maybe even have it be Yacker's sibling). Yacker pleads for Sonic to save his sibling who eventually becomes corrupted by Eggman's tests or extracting of it's powers, leading to said evil Wisp battle. After saving the Wisp, THEN you have the classic Sonic vs. Eggman encounter in which the Wisps join in to take down their oppressor.

Just something I threw together that obviously takes some elements from previous games, but something like that would make me care and sympathize about the Wisps A LOT more.

Edited by Snatcher2047
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like 90% of video games, Sonic stories are rarely above the level of mediocrity. Full-on melodrama, awkward dialog and delivery, irritating characters, rarely funny(at least intentionally); its something that has plagued the series ever since Knuckles started monologuing to no one in particular back in Sonic Adventure, and its obvious that Sonic Team just isn't very good at it. I say just give me some good ol' "oh noes Eggman is here, lets kick his ass but save the world(s)!" and be done with it. The fact that we got an almost-funny script with good vocal performances and honest-to-god comedic delivery seems like a miracle in and of itself.

To be honest, most of the jokes and the characters' reactions to the jokes as if they were actually funny had me rolling my eyes most of the game. But to each their own, I guess.

The absolute best part of the story, in my opinion, was

when Sonic pushed Tails into the elevator so Tails would get away safely, leaving Sonic with the responsibility and danger of taking on Eggman head on all by himself.

You know exactly why Sonic did it and why Tails would disapprove, even if Sonic was doing it for his own good. That was executed beautifully.

Edited by Snatcher2047

I know this is off topic but how do we reconcile that awesome scene with Sonic's trust in Tails combat ability seen most clearly in SA2?

True however tails has teamed up with Sonic in combat in plenty of games (i.e Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure). In Heroes he even manages to assist in the defeat of Metal Sonic.

edit: nm, It seems Sonic pushed Tails into the elevator thingy because of his timidity.

Edited by jonathan

To be honest, most of the jokes and the characters' reactions to the jokes as if they were actually funny had me rolling my eyes most of the game. But to each their own, I guess.

Seriously. Robotnik is the only funny character in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I've discovered what my main problem with the story is. Forget the length issues and all that... my main problem is the Wisps. Not them in general, because they're cute as a button. My problem is that I really just don't give a damn about them... because they don't give me a reason to care about them. It's all just, "Oh look, aliens in trouble! Let's save them!" 5 hours later, nothing has really happened other than, "YAY! We win!" GAME OVER.

I'm not sure if I'd want the Wisps to get a tragic Elise-y backstory, per se, but I definitely agree they should have been a little more prominent. I would've appreciated maybe one more cutscene halfway through each zone, just to give the local Wisps a chance to show off their abilities and personalities. I was actually kind of surprised when that didn't happen... one of the Colours websites gave a brief synopsis of each type of Wisp's usual personality traits, so I figured that material would come up in the game somehow.

Claiming that this game is "what the true fans want" and that casual fans cant get into the game is straight up bullshit. In fact casuals will probably have alot easier time getting into Colors than Unleashed.

On that note Colors is probably the most accessible Sonic game as of recent.

• Thumbs Up 2

I totally get that part. But if you are going to have a story, you have to have a protagonist I want to cheer on and help (Sonic), an antagonist whose ass I want to kick, but at the same time be appealing (Eggman) and have a reason for the protagonist and antagonist to collide that I care about (Wis.... err, sorry... it's not there).

If I just want Sonic vs. Eggman with nothing else getting in the way, I'll play SONIC 4. Which, just for the record, there's nothing wrong with wanting to do that, before anyone attacks me.

I will say it was nice to have the final battle be Sonic vs. Eggman. I couldn't have been the only one thinking, "I'm putting money on that the final battle will be Super Sonic vs. a giant evil Wisp".

But that might have been something to build off for a better story. Maybe there was one particular Wisp that had a hidden power that Eggman accidentally stumbled upon while collecting the others (maybe even have it be Yacker's sibling). Yacker pleads for Sonic to save his sibling who eventually becomes corrupted by Eggman's tests or extracting of it's powers, leading to said evil Wisp battle. After saving the Wisp, THEN you have the classic Sonic vs. Eggman encounter in which the Wisps join in to take down their oppressor.

Just something I threw together that obviously takes some elements from previous games, but something like that would make me care and sympathize about the Wisps A LOT more.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Thing is, everything about Colours is what 'the fans' want. It's the perfect game for them. And that's why it sucks so hard for casual fans like you and me who play the series for a the thrills, and play much bigger and better platformers like Mario and Ratchet when we want to do slow platforming.

Ratchet and Clank is as much of a platformer as Sonic Unleashed is a RPG.

Edit: And just to throw my hat in the ring, Colors might have my favorite characterization of Sonic in a video game. He's arrogant and cocky, but he isn't above being embarrassed or doing stupid things. He knows he's the shit, but the guy's a hero who fights evil because its the right thing to do.

Edited by jeremycarrier

Ha, yeah to be fair I can't quite agree with DistantJ on the R+C front either. XD I tried the original once but got bored. Way too much emphasis on weapons and shat for my taste. Only a small handful of platformers outside of Mario and Sonic have ever grabbed my attention (most notable ones being Glover and Mischief Makers back on the N64).

I didn't care too much about the wisps. Was too busy enjoying the interaction of sonic and tails. Why would anyone even care about the wispts. It was funny enough how tails mistranslated their words.

I mean what did you guys expect? Another game that makes tails redundant and puts the spotlight on some pointless character that will never appear again (I'm looking at you chip).

I'm a big tailsfan myself and the way tails and sonic interact beats everything I used as an example in the past (sonic OVA and aosth to an extent)

Well, I picked up Sonic Colors (Wii) last night, and all ready beat the story. XD After finally playing it myself...I am speechless. In my opinion, it is by far the best Sonic game in a really long time, let alone the best 3D Sonic game ever. The gameplay is so addicting and fun, it took what worked in Sonic Unleashed and plus'd it by ten. The controls are tight and responsive, and the wisps add so much variety and fun. The graphical presentation and most of all, the soundtrack, are just incredible. This is the Sonic game I have been waiting for.

The only gripe I can really say is the game's length, I wish it wasn't over so quickly. Without spoiling anything, the final boss fight is absolutely epic. Maybe not as 'epic' as the previous final bosses in 3D, but this is epic in it's own special way. Also what deserves special mention, the story and writing is so hilarious and so enjoyable. This is the first Sonic game in a long time where I had many laugh out loud moments. I hope these guys continue to write future Sonic games, because it was a perfect light-hearted tone. Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins are perfect for Sonic and Tails, I love it. :) So obviously, I have a very glowing review, and I highly recommend Sonic Colors to everyone. I hope to pick up the DS version next week or so. :D

Now to go for all S ranks, all red rings, and the Sonic Simulator stages. XD

Edited by Spyne
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi Everybody!

Okay! time for my great Sonic Colors Wii Review since I beat the game yesterday!

This is a very interesting game, mixed bag but mainly a good mixed bag.

Pros:

- Music is Superb, one of the best sound tracks of all time in Sonic games!

- Visuals are stunning, the best Wii game graphics Ive seen.

- Sonic, Tails and Eggman interacting was fun to see, reminded me of simpler times like the 90's, the lighthearted Story was cute and had some funny moments, made me feel like a kid and that can be good or bad depending on ur tastes, but the story was way better than the story in Sonic 06 that's for sure!

- At-least has 2 player, some fun 2 player parts here and there and using a custom Alien head or Celebrity head Mii is hilarious.

-The Wisp are really fun and lovable! best power ups since Sonic 3!

-Last boss was a surprise and a welcomed one! About time they got that right!

-This game feels like the real Sonic 4.

-Cubot and Orobot were fun to watch but not enough time with them.

-The game menus are beautiful!

-This game is easy to jump in and play like SA2 with no world hubs.

-The Egg Shuttle mode makes you play all levels one after another! cool beans!

-The Voice actors and the acting were great! Sonic's VA did a good job for his first try and Tails was adorable, best Tails voice ever!

-the re playability is great! lots of hidden stuff, the water stage is amazing!

-Badniks (animal themed or classic robots) are back, Sonic games needs them bad!

-The Reward for getting all Red Ring Emblems is WHAT!??? :blink: it doesn't make sense but Woot finally!!

-So much to do the game is addictive, lots of replay value! makes u crave more in the end.

Cons:

-Sadly the gameplay seemed hard to control at times specially the jumps, you get better but expect to die ALOT.

-Unlike Sonic 4, Lives here are rare! and you will need them! (EDIT: tho you can beat levels that reward you 1 or 2 easily and stock them if you want to go ready, thanks SiLeNtDo0m and Yong for pointing this out.)

-Some repeated level gimmicks here and there like a level where all you mostly do is jump on a moving spring and there's a pit below you gets annoying and boring.

-There are only about 4 original level Bosses, the rest are the same bosses but different looks.

-Tails should've been playable in atleast in 2 Player, he needs more love. :/

-The control on 3D and 2D seem 50% divided and no one of the 2 is 100% good.

-3D sections made you wish it was like Sonic Adventure and less linear.

-With No rolling spin attacks it feels like a good game but not really a Sonic Game, Sonic has a slide move he seems to like nowadays but we want his spin roll move not that awkward move! (tho the Pink wisp has a rolling spin move a Spindash too which was nice, so my opinion is divided on this matter, it should be a permanent Sonic move tho and not a power up, guess having spin dashing makes things too easy now?)

-Some game play parts are very Sonic like some makes me think I'm playing another game, on 2d sections its Hard to turn Sonic to the other direction sometimes, and I hate when they invisible wall block a part you just passed makes u have to restart the game if u missed something like an emblem.

- OMG Rings! when you get hit they bounce out of you like always but you cannot pick em up until is too late! which means you only end up grabbing them when they're about to vanish and it can cause you a life.

-Game felt kinda short and incomplete in some areas, at least the plot was ok, the plot was nothing outstanding but not bad at all!

-The Mii's have a Sonic Costume?? its cute but common! we wanted to see something other than Red and Blue Sonic bodies!

My Conclusion

I give the game an 9/10

why?

Because It was an amazing game specially for fans that were waiting for a sonic game with no BS! It got so much right! It aimed to please and it did! although this game still has many spots that seemed unpolished but its kinda hard to explain...I was gonna give it a 7/10 then a 8/10 but I just felt bad, this game gives what it promises really, I guess I just got hyped too much. and hey! the reward for getting all Red Rings, the Sonic Hat and the Holographic box is surely is worth points in my book! ^^

The last battle and story tho simple it pulls your heart strings in a charming and gentle way so get ready for it if you have not played it already! :)

It was a beautiful game really, its not perfect but it was one of the best Sonic games I've ever played! Heres hoping Sonic Team makes games similar or better than what was Sonic Colors! Good Job Sonic Team! Sonic is back! but he needs your help now, keep the momentum going and don't forget Sonic 06 lol!

HAPPY SONIC COLORING! ;)

Edited by Aries

The repeated complaints about the sidestepping, could someone please explain that one for me? I've been playing with the classic controller since I booted up the game, and have experienced exactly zero response delays, control problems, or failures to get the sidesteps or any controls to not work flawlessly when I push the buttons. Is it a wiimote + nuncuck thing, or what?

For me the controls have been Mario Galaxy-tight all along, which I recognise is quite the statement, so I'm quite confused.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

The repeated complaints about the sidestepping, could someone please explain that one for me? I've been playing with the classic controller since I booted up the game, and have experienced exactly zero response delays, control problems, or failures to get the sidesteps or any controls to not work flawlessly when I push the buttons. Is it a wiimote + nuncuck thing, or what?

For me the controls have been Mario Galaxy-tight all along, which I recognise is quite the statement, so I'm quite confused.