Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong Country Returns

3D Platformers?

Lolwat?

Even then, that's a very sparse number of 3D platformers, atleast compared to all the numbers of FPS games and stuff we get. Also wow you really didn't need to go on a tangent about ALL platformers in general, he was only talking 3D platformers.

Also new Crash games are pretty lame hurp

Indeed; from what I remember of the DS version, it's not even explained that Orbot and Cubot are gathering the pieces of the boss, so when they say that an arm is missing, it's hard to figure out what they're talking about.

You know, while I havent played the DS version personally, the Wii version wasn't exactly that very obvious when it came to revealing what that missing arm did. In the DS version, that was explained, but I forgot all about the cutscene after the first boss in the Wii version. It didn't get me until after I finished the game and read it on here

Been playing the DS version, beat the first four zones (Aquarium Park is next).

All four are nothing special so far if I'm honest. Like it's fun, but not as good as Rush Adventure. Bosses are also lacking or are a bit awkward to play, with the exception of the awesome drill boss in Planet Wisp. Also the fireball is SO hard to control, especially with spikes everywhere. I also have four emeralds already, getting them seems pretty easy compared to Rush Adventure. Drill is fun to use if a little awkward to control, and the rocket is some epic shit. There seems to be loads of alternate routes, but I haven't got to most of them yet of course.

It's good but not stellar, and none of the levels have stood out yet as being awesome.

I actually agree though, but what I mean is the thing that Sonic offers over Mario, Ratchet and other platformers are the thrills and in Colours the thrills are kinda gone. Ratchet offers crazy weapons and combat, that gives you good reason to want to play it over other platform games (even without those the platforming is better than that in Colours but that's not the point) and Sonic offers speed. Without them it has nothing over the other platformers and therefore no good reason to stick with the series through the 'difficult' times if you didn't like speed, and Sonic Colours' 'tiny rectangles dotted around the place' platform sections seem pretty poor in comparison to other straight-up platformers, the only reason I could see myself playing Sonic Colours over these games is because I am attached to the character, and that's silly... I just think they should keep the focus on what makes Sonic special, and in this game it's really toned down and automated. The exciting/thrilling sections all play themselves, so all that you're in full control over is a basic platformer, and there are way, WAY better designed, more fun and varied platformers out there. This is why I don't understand the people who say all the best parts from Unleashed are here - they appear to be if you're watching the game, but when playing it they're all either automated, on rails with forced quickstep or very straightforward.

Just because there are better, doesn't make it any less good. Its still a very well-made game and overall very enjoyable.

Uniqueness was never really part of the ball game. It seems like a very very well executed experiment, whilst playing with features that the rest of the gaming community find comfortable.

Yes there is an abundace of overly rectangular platforms, but because this game is 3D but locked in a 2D camera position, it makes smooth plane shifting impossible. You can't jump on top of a platform from underneath it (something you can do arbitrarily in pure 2D platformers) because of the laws of physics.

I agree that they can make it looks smoother and more varied than just blocks, but I'm afraid random floating platforms is a part of the territory when in comes to 2.5D.

As for the speed, yes its main just automated, but really speaking in Unleashed all you had to do was press the X or Square button and occasionally tap the shoulder buttons. The boost would never run out because not only do they run on rings, but the boost also acts like a magnet; sucking them in. Ergo you can keep boosting till the end of the level, unless the pace was broken up with platforming, which also featured arbitrary rectangular blocks.

However, I think you're missing the big picture.

Colours may not have been the game you expected or wanted, but its definately a sign of things to come. I personally think that the game is just a really clever experiment to determine which alternate playstyles people liked the most.

Yes the game isn't perfect, but whether you like it or not; it did build off of Unleashed whilst trying a number of new things as well. It uses basically the same gameplay engine as Unleashed HD, only slowed down a tad with a [somewhat awkward] double-jump.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong Country ReturnsPrince of Persia: The Forgotten SandsMirror's EdgeUncharted 2: Among ThievesLittleBigPlanet New Super Mario Bros.

Super Paper MarioMega Man 9

Mega Man 10

Either 2D or are shooters.

I'm actually referring to Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time. I never played the PS2 ones.

after seeing this. i think platforming could work in 3D Sonic , with the ability to switch camera angle.

how ever I am not sure how the speed sections would work without feeling on rails.

I am Great with Colors. they should add more 3D Sections and keep the games like that until they figure out how to make Platforming in 3D interesting without feeling boring or awkward.

Platforming in Sonic colors is interesting and not awkard, because 2D allows more variety of platforming game play :

personally they should leave the sense of speed and Battling more challenging enemies in the 3D Sections.

Edited by speedduelist

Hay hay speedduelist speedduelist. This was a few pages back and you didn't reply to it, so just thought I'd repostthis video in case you didn't see it, since you were asking for proof that Sonic Colours just re-arranges the same level designs and areas.

Edited by JezMM

Hay hay speedduelist speedduelist. This was a few pages back and you didn't reply to it, so just thought I'd repostthis video in case you didn't see it, since you were asking for proof that Sonic Colours just re-arranges the same level designs and areas.

the level design isn't the exact same,

they re-used certain areas and adjusted them enough to be hardly recognizable, look at each stage having its own gimmick for example.

that is obviously why i didn't notice.

you must be really serious with taking effort to make this video, adding screen shots would have been better.

but eventually you raged too much at 1 post of mine and put too much effort into it, that is actually sad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

they re-used certain areas and adjusted them enough to be hardly recognizable, look at each stage having its own gimmick for example.

you must be really serious with taking effort to make this video, adding screen shots would have been better.

but eventually you raged too much at 1 post of mine and put too much effort into it, that is actually sad.

Hardly recognisable?

They're exactly the same barring the object placement.

And what is sad, is the you take the time to respond to every single comment and try to prove how you are right above all else.

Seriously, just stop. Stop making excuses and generally, just let it go.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

In other news, anyone notice how the first 20 seconds of Aquarium Park Act 1, looks similar to Dragon Road Act 1 in the HD version of Unleashed?

Take a look:

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

Only 10x more awesome with a music that is 10x more awesome. Yeah I had noticed that straight away and I think everybody who has played unleashed must have noticed too.

Hard to miss

Edited by Jaouad

Hardly recognisable?

They're exactly the same barring the object placement.

And what is sad, is the you take the time to respond to every single comment and try to prove how you are right above all else.

Seriously, just stop. Stop making excuses and generally, just let it go.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Bad Quality Post 3

you have some Eye issues. the only thing similar is the backround and the Ground shape.

Platforms and obstacles placement isn't the same at all.

Some elements of the acts are re-used in later acts, no doubt. They're not exact copy-pasted however, for a good part of the re-used acts they're changed enough to not be that notable until after you replay it once or twice, and seeing that it sort of seems to run on a Mario Galaxy-esque premise, i.e. same stage but either heavily varied or different path, I have no problem what-so-ever with it. In some ways its almost like a "hard-mode" of the act its replicating.

You're the one with eye issues if you couldn't see and notice that they re-use these sections. Seriously dude, just stop commenting. You're just making yourself look like more and more of an idiot by dragging this on. You were wrong, the proof is there. So move on.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I love how you posted the same video twice. Dude is it so hard to accept you were wrong?

can't you check?

The wisps/level gimmicks aren't the same

The Wisps/Platforms placement isn't the same

the routes are not the same.

The Ground shaping how ever is the same.

The backround is the same.

with only 2 things being the same, it made it hardly recognizable for me.

that what i am saying, do you think the objects placement and the level design and stages gimmicks are the exact same? you are wrong at this point.

Some elements of the acts are re-used in later acts, no doubt. They're not exact copy-pasted however, for a good part of the re-used acts they're changed enough to not be that notable until after you replay it once or twice, and seeing that it sort of seems to run on a Mario Galaxy-esque premise, i.e. same stage but either heavily varied or different path, I have no problem what-so-ever with it. In some ways its almost like a "hard-mode" of the act its replicating.

This ^

Edited by speedduelist

NO but we're merely saying they reused level design, not gimmicks. That's where your wrong.

The Level design isn't the same.

The platforms/obstacles placement isn't the same, they are saying the exact same obstacles and obstacles placement is the same.

The only thing the same is ground and the background, they disagree with me when i say that and keep saying 'you are wrong'.

I'm actually referring to Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time. I never played the PS2 ones.

3D platform games:

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

Crash of the Titans (Play it before you knock it)

Crash: Mind Over Mutant

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Then come the Prince of Persia-esque platform games (They're about getting from point A to point B navigating obstacle courses and traps, avoiding pitfalls and jumping between structure; they're platformers):

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Mirror's Edge

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Amazing game)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2D platform games better than Sonic Colours' 2D platform sections:

LittleBigPlanet (About as much of a 3D platformer as Sonic Colours - it's all sidescrolling except you can move between 3 'planes' in 3D... Think about it...)

Rocket Knight (Some really good, challenging platforming later on in this one)

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Paper Mario

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

Klonoa

Mega Man 9

Mega Man 10

A whole tonne on DS...

LOL Crash Bandicoot. Its hard to remember a time he was actually relevant. And I like how you post two games that are primarily on the 2d plane of existence as "3d platformers" with KEY and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Face it, its a not a very popular genre for developers these days.

PoP is a platformer, and Mirror's Edge can be argued for one, but not Uncharted or Enslaved. The main focus in those games are action and puzzles. They have easy, automated sections of the game that barely qualify as platformers. They are action-adventure titles.

And I don't know why you mentioned a bunch of 2d platformers, since nobody brought that up.

Lol, dude, don't take it so personally. All I was saying is they use the same level and re-arrange the gimmicks on it to make a new one, and you said they only did it on Planet Wisp. Hence I made a video just to prove that they did it on other levels too because you said it wasn't true and wouldn't be convinced otherwise.

they re-used certain areas and adjusted them enough to be hardly recognizable

That is exactly all I was saying, and all I wanted to prove to you in the video. So we're in agreement.

Also @Chun-Nan resemblence: ever since the first screenshot of Aquatic Park, I was actually sort of thinking it'd be cool if they used a remix of "Dragon Road - Day" from Unleashed as the music, but I'm more than happy with the damn fine tune we got. 8D

Having one area and re-arranging the scenery is actually a pretty popular design these days. Valve, for example, has this one HUGE map they make all the Team Fortress 2 maps on(that's why if you no-clip, you can fly out and see other maps in the game if you go far enough). It saves them a lot of resource time and it makes sense since they all have the same theme. Sonic Team is copying from the best in the business ^_^

Lol, dude, don't take it so personally. All I was saying is they use the same level and re-arrange the gimmicks on it to make a new one, and you said they only did it on Planet Wisp. Hence I made a video just to prove that they did it on other levels too because you said it wasn't true and wouldn't be convinced otherwise.

ok, i admit i toke it too much personally <_<

still nice video, it shows a lot of good points about the game's level design development strategy.

Finally got around to writing a full blown review, so umm... yeah, enjoy!

Do the colours feel so right for Sonic?

It seems 2010 is shaping up to be the year of the hedgehog. Following the pretty decent Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing in February and the recently released Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, the blue blur is back once again - and arguably better than ever.

What's that, you say? A 3D Sonic game, most of which have been critically panned for a number of years now, is better than Sonic's retro "return to form"? Why yes, I kid you not. The impossible has happened. Not only have SEGA produced a brilliant game in Sonic Colours, they have produced one of the most enjoyable Sonic games full stop.

Sonic Colours sees Sonic and Tails (and only Sonic and Tails) heading to an interstellar amusement park in space, built by none other than their nemesis Dr Eggman. Sonic is certain that Eggman (or "Baldy McNosehair", as he becomes referred to later on) is up to something suspicious, so they investigate and soon discover that he is capturing an alien race called Wisps and harnessing their powers to create a mind-control device which will put the entire universe under his command. Cue a lot of running, ring collecting and badnik smashing. For once the story is actually a strong point, having been written by the team behind MadWorld - it's a very well crafted script with lots of memorable lines (some because of their sheer cringeworthy-ness, some because of their genuine hilarity) that is performed fantastically by new voice actors Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins. Don't be messing with this hedgehog, no copyright law in the universe can stop him.

The gameplay is where Colours truly shines though. In short, it's taking the best of Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages and the platforming from the classic games and mixing them into one awesome experience. You'll be blasting through both 3D and 2D sections (about a 30:70 ratio I would say) which seamlessly transition between one another. It's all very fluid and leads to a very rewarding feel - after a tough platforming section you can just hold down the boost button and gaze in awe as Sonic races forwards, colourful sparks flying from his feet, the world around him rushing by in a flash.

Speaking of which, the environments themselves are a work of art. Never has this much creativity been seen in a Sonic game since the Megadrive days. From the engaging opening zone that is Tropical Resort to a world made of sweets (yes, you can even loop-de-loop round doughnuts!) to a carnival in the stars, every level has a unique atmosphere and each is very appealing. My personal favourite area is Aquarium Park, an oriental-themed aquarium, which also doubles as the first underwater stage to feature in a 3D Sonic game. It reeks of awesome. The soundtrack too is something spectacular, featuring a wide range of genres from orchestral to techno to hard rock. I'm even willing to admit I have a soft spot for vocal themes "Reach For The Stars" and "Speak With Your Heart".

So then, what's the catch? Every 3D Sonic game up to this point has had some sort of "gimmick", so what's Colours hiding up its sleeves? The Wisps, that's what. Sonic can make use of the aliens' special powers to aid him in his adventure, and if anything - unlike the Werehog, the sword, the fishing, and the beastiality - they enhance the gameplay rather than detract from it. You can turn Sonic into an unstoppable laser, a rocket, and even a drill. Each of the Wisp powers are short bursts of enjoyment rather than something forced on you, and if you so wish you can play through most of the game without ever needing to use a Wisp at all. But believe me, you'll want to. There is nothing more satisfying than using the drill Wisp underwater, a concept which is so painfully simple yet utterly ingenious.

Is there anything negative I can say about Sonic Colours? Well, the main story is a little bit short (it took me about 5 hours on my first playthrough but there's plenty of replay value), some of the platforming level designs are downright evil (prepare to see that Game Over screen a fair few times!), and each of the non-final bosses are reused a couple of times in the game - and I only really found one of those boss types particularly fun. But these are ridiculously minor niggles in what is an otherwise first-rate title. This is a glorious return to form for Sonic the Hedgehog and I can but hope that they keep up this level of quality in the future. It's undoubtedly one of the most entertaining games I've played on the Wii in some time and it's well worth a play. Don't believe some of the hate the game has been getting from certain outlets, because the colours do feel so right and you owe it to yourself to give Sonic another chance.

VERDICT

+ Gameplay is addictive and fun

+ Great balance between 2D and 3D sections

+ Wisps add to the game without ruining it

+ Soundtrack contains a lot of amazing tracks

- A few small problems exist that keep it from being entirely perfect

9/10

That's my two cents, anyway B)

Ok, so I just beat the DS version. Overall it's pretty fun but not quite as good as SRA. There were less stages and missions than SRA but to compliment it the levels were HUGE. I did like most of the wisp powers and the emphasis on platforming but I think it dragged down my enjoyment overall. Too many areas felt like empty voids filled with ring and traps over bottomless pits which felt like level filler between the LOLBOOST platforming bits. The limited/awkward wisp powers and and lack of reward for collecting the hidden goodies meant that I didn't bother to explore these parts much any way. It's not like I hate exploration in my Sonic games, I just prefer that the reward for my spelunking be a faster route to the goal and not some useless red rings.

This also pulls down the replay value for me. I'm a speedrunnner at heart, I love playing stages over and over to get the best time possible and pull off the most stunts. Even after I beat SR and SRA I still spent weeks replaying the stages to get S-ranks and playing the missions. However in Colors the replay value is in collecting the Red Rings( which requires lots of aimless searching) and getting S-Ranks( which is now based mostly on how many McGuffins you found and not speed). As of now I really don't have much desire to replay stages since the game offers no reward for my ideal playstyle.

Also, aside from a few missions/S-ranks this game is really easy, especially the Special Stages and the Final "Monster of the Week" Battle. I beat all of them on my first try except SS7, which took a whopping three tries. It's a far cry from the F-bomb spewing rage that asshat Johnny put me through in SRA, and that's just from trying to find him.

7/10 for me.

I'll be playing the Wii version as soon my cousins are done with the console. Hopefully I'll find more enjoyment out it.

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy

According to the internet the reward for all red rings in the DS version is infinite boost. Sounds to me like they wanted to put Super Sonic in the levels but didn't have the time or priorities to program it before release time. Aw, poo.

According to the internet the reward for all red rings in the DS version is infinite boost. Sounds to me like they wanted to put Super Sonic in the levels but didn't have the time or priorities to program it before release time. Aw, poo.

I already know about the Red ring reward in both versions, but considering that the game already throws a white wisp in your path every five seconds having infinite boost seems kinda pointless :/