Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

^ Excuuuuuse me. Sonic Unleashed did the same thing, right? Or was that only the Wii version? Anyways, they made you go through a certain area more than once too!

I'm still enjoying this game, haters gonna hate~ 8D

^ Excuuuuuse me. Sonic Unleashed did the same thing, right? Or was that only the Wii version? Anyways, they made you go through a certain area more than once too!

I'm still enjoying this game, haters gonna hate~ 8D

The Wii version did yeah, though less thinly veiled (as missions, of course).

And according to Dusk Unleashed 360 sort of did, though I need to investigate this as per his instructions because I've never noticed any other day stages in the background out of reach personally.

The DLC was more at fault than the actual game, but the reason is because each stage is built around the same areas.

There are more instances but what immediately springs into my head is one of the DLC stages they take the goal ring area from the end of Spogonia and make a stage where instead of a ramp launching you to the other side, they make you cross the chasm with Spinners. Then another stage takes place in the same area but at evening with the racing the robots section at the end of Spogonia. Then in the Mazuri DLC there is the tree section set at evening and mixed up. And also in Mazuri there's the boss area turned into a stage. As I said though, this was all just DLC.

They did do it some in the actual stages but more so they all mainly looped around certain areas. I may not remember correctly but I believe the beginning of Night Werehog Mazuri is the same as the daytime stage entering the gate except it's Werehog-fied a lot with the entrance blocked off at first. Stuff like that. The video you posted reminds me of the DLC stages kind of remixing a used area. The Wii version also did this a lot, and some of the normal missions.

As I said, this mainly stems from it all being one big 3D space.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Hmm, the DLC examples you just mentioned I'm afraid are more a case of copying and pasting large areas, rather than re-arranging the objects on an existing one. I can say for sure that the evening aero-chaser Spagonia DLC level is a completely seperate map, it isn't the area from the end of the regular daytime Act 1. Likewise with Werehog's Mazuri, they may have copied and pasted that particular area of geometery, but it's not the same map as the daytime stage by any means. Oh, also crossing the chasm with spinners in Spagonia is a seperate map for sure too. The clock tower at the end of Act 5 has completely different surroundings to the default Act 1 (and even the night time Act 1 too).

To simplify it down, what you're describing is a case of someone taking a particular house on a theatre stage set and using it in another set.

What Colours does is use the same set but change the actors (the actors in this case being the interactables... enemies, floating platforms, switches etc).

Now the boss arena remix in Mazuri you also mentioned, yeah that is an example of exactly what Colours has done.

Yahtzee's been tweeting about Sonic Colors. Just thought I'd give you the heads up- It might get ugly.

Shewt, we may be saying goodbye to that 78 fellas.

Sorry but like I said if that's the ONLY way to make Sonic games longer....then I'm not against it.

You do know that, without the Sun/Moon medal collecting, Colors would easily be just as long if not longer than Unleashed (HD, not Wii)?

Either way, Colors took a good 6-7 hours for me to beat, that's more time than NSMB, and NSMBWii COMBINED took me to beat. It's pretty decently long.

Edited by Galaxy Man

One thing that I think this game could've greatly benefitted from are shields and power-ups in general. I find it really frustrating when I'm almost at the end of a level, about to attain an S-rank, when all of a sudden a bullet from no where comes flying and I lose the rank at the last second. Of all the things the classic games had, thats one thing that would've made this perfect and no where near as frustrating.

One thing that I think this game could've greatly benefitted from are shields and power-ups in general. I find it really frustrating when I'm almost at the end of a level, about to attain an S-rank, when all of a sudden a bullet from no where comes flying and I lose the rank at the last second. Of all the things the classic games had, thats one thing that would've made this perfect and no where near as frustrating.

Thus far I've found rings and time mean barely anything for S-Ranks.

SPENDING FOUR MINUTES GOING ROUND AND ROUND IN CIRCLES WITH THE DRILL IS REAL SKILL YEAH.

You do know that, without the Sun/Moon medal collecting, Colors would easily be just as long if not longer than Unleashed (HD, not Wii)?

Either way, Colors took a good 6-7 hours for me to beat, that's more time than NSMB, and NSMBWii COMBINED took me to beat. It's pretty decently long.

Why does it bother y'all that I feel that Colors is too short :lol:

Thus far I've found rings and time mean barely anything for S-Ranks.

SPENDING FOUR MINUTES GOING ROUND AND ROUND IN CIRCLES WITH THE DRILL IS REAL SKILL YEAH.

The rings can bolster your score quite a bit, there's been many a time where my hundreds of rings collected helped me get over the hump for a S-rank. Its true that the wisps are rather important(which make certain acts in Tropical Resort and Aquarium Park mostly "lol drill spam"), as are the 30,000 point red rings and making damn sure you don't die.

Cuz you want to make the game longer by adding shitty gameplay mechanics, that's the problem. If Sonic Colors had a bunch of Werehog levels added to the 44 levels already here, it would be a worse game.

Edited by jeremycarrier
  • Thumbs Up 4

The rings can bolster your score quite a bit, there's been many a time where my hundreds of rings collected helped me get over the hump for a S-rank. Its true that the wisps are rather important(which make certain acts in Tropical Resort and Aquarium Park mostly "lol drill spam"), as are the 30,000 point red rings and making damn sure you don't die.

Fair enough, I have only been doing Tropical Resort so far. Frankly I'm getting darn annoyed that playing this game like I did Unleashed (take the most complicated route but FAST) to get S-ranks does not reward me for it. Q_Q I already did messing around with the Wisps for the red rings, but now I gotta do it for the S-ranks too? When do I get to play this game fast and recklessly like Sonic is, bleh.

I enjoy the Wisps but drill spam etc just feels silly. I was hoping the red ring challenge would be Wisp related and the S-ranks would be Sonic-related but apparently not. The first proper pure Sonic 3D title my arse.

• Thumbs Up 1

It may be short, but it's longer than Black Knight and has more replay value than any other 3D game and Super Sonic adds even more replay value, trying to get S ranks, playing the multiplayer, leaderboards, just thank the Lord Sega finally did a gimmick based around the core gameplay style(Shadow and Heroes did this, but honestly, the flaws in those games weren't the gimmicks in the gameplay itself, just how the core gameplay was used, crap level design, controls, ect) instead of a entirely new gameplay style.

Fair enough, I have only been doing Tropical Resort so far. Frankly I'm getting darn annoyed that playing this game like I did Unleashed (take the most complicated route but FAST) to get S-ranks does not reward me for it. Q_Q I already did messing around with the Wisps for the red rings, but now I gotta do it for the S-ranks too? When do I get to play this game fast and recklessly like Sonic is, bleh.

I enjoy the Wisps but drill spam etc just feels silly. I was hoping the red ring challenge would be Wisp related and the S-ranks would be Sonic-related but apparently not. The first proper pure Sonic 3D title my arse.

Sorry, the game doesn't reward boost spam and WHOOYEAHWHOOYEAHWHOOYEAH Its all about exploration, utilizing the wisps to their full potential, and getting through the various challenges unscratched.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, the game doesn't reward boost spam and WHOOYEAHWHOOYEAHWHOOYEAH Its all about exploration, utilizing the wisps to their full potential, and getting through the various challenges unscratched.

Just to add to that. This is the first game since Sonic Advance as to where you actually have to earn speed instead of it being given to you. Thank the lord for this game made by the Gods themselves.

Edited by SuperClassic

It may be short, but it's longer than Black Knight and has more replay value than any other 3D game and Super Sonic adds even more replay value, trying to get S ranks, playing the multiplayer, leaderboards, just thank the Lord Sega finally did a gimmick based around the core gameplay style(Shadow and Heroes did this, but honestly, the flaws in those games weren't the gimmicks in the gameplay itself, just how the core gameplay was used, crap level design, controls, ect) instead of a entirely new gameplay style.

Your right but Black Knight has more story then Colors.

Plus it's a spin-off so i don't really mind it.

Edited by Gamer18

Oh yea, and was the story creative? No, it was shit, not only was it based off stories that no one in this fanbase care about, but it had a fucking talking sword, Sonic Colors has all the story that a Sonic game needs, it has Eggman stealing aliens called wisps to power his amusement park and Sonic and Tails decide to make sure Eggman recedes just like his hair line. Considering Black Knight was a spin off I suppose you could say it was somewhat of a test to see how the fans would react to such a game, heh, most of us and even the critics did not like Black knight too much, just talking about Black Knight makes me laugh, sorry. XD It's such a bad game.

Edited by SuperClassic

You don't get S-Ranks by time, they add to score but what helps more is getting points, collecting Red Rings, destroying enemies, hitting checkpoints, destroying or doing things with Wisp, collecting Rings, holding onto those Rings to the end of the stage, score trick ramps, and doing all of this before your "Bonus Time" is up which is when you no longer can gain any points left in the stage because you spent too much time in the stage.

Oh yea, and was the story creative? No, it was shit, not only was it based off stories that no one in this fanbase care about, but it had a fucking talking sword, Sonic Colors has all the story that a Sonic game needs, it has Eggman stealing aliens called wisps to power his amusement park and Sonic and Tails decide to make sure Eggman recedes just like his hair line. Considering Black Knight was a spin off I suppose you could say it was somewhat of a test to see how the fans would react to such a game, heh, most of us and even the critics did not like Black knight too much, just talking about Black Knight makes me laugh, sorry. XD It's such a bad game.

Did I say Colors story was bad...No. i just said it was short.

Also I thought the story in Black knight was ok.

Did I say Colors story was bad...No. i just said it was short.

Also I thought the story in Black knight was ok.

I wasn't implying that you said it was, I'm just rambling on about my thoughts on the story to be blunt.

Booooooooooooooooooooooring. But that's just me, lol.

You don't get S-Ranks by time, they add to score but what helps more is getting points, collecting Red Rings, destroying enemies, hitting checkpoints, destroying or doing things with Wisp, collecting Rings, holding onto those Rings to the end of the stage, score trick ramps, and doing all of this before your "Bonus Time" is up which is when you no longer can gain any points left in the stage because you spent too much time in the stage.

I'm cool with that when it works, but on some stages (basically, the first three acts of Tropical Resort, which is all I've done thus far), it's just... drill spam.

I hope the further stages get better than that.

Plus it's a spin-off so i don't really mind it.

So basically you're saying that black knight was a short game with a lot of story... So wait, doesn't that make the actual game shorteR?

So basically you're saying that black knight was a short game with a lot of story... So wait, doesn't that make the actual game shorteR?

Yes, I think the reason he says Black Knight has more story is because in reality all it has more of is characters, most of them being too much of a jerk(Caliburn) or a tool(Knuckles) or just plain non existent(Apparently.. King Arthur doesn't exist.. Or.. He's a rank now? What?) Sonic Colors may be more simple, but it has much better focus on its' characters and really made Sonic the goofy jock he's been trying to be for 12 years and made Tails actually more so a friend than a tool who follows you around or just knows a bunch of smart shit. And Eggman, no need to explain here. Orbot and Cubot, pretty much Scratch and Grounder only not annoying and actually funny.

Booooooooooooooooooooooring. But that's just me, lol.

I suppose you're not a big fan of huge platforming games such as Mario Galaxy?

Edited by SuperClassic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I suppose you're not a big fan of huge platforming games such as Mario Galaxy?

I fucking love Mario Galaxy. But Mario games are Mario games and Sonic games are Sonic games.

Colours is an AMAZING platformer, I've never denied that once, but it's just not that kind of platformer I was expecting from a Sonic game, especially one that uses Unleashed's style as a base.

I was really looking forward to "Unleashed 2, the next 3D Sonic, with Wisp Powers!", but what I got was "Wisp Powers!... in the next 2D Sonic! (also with Unleashed diluted to patronising levels)".

It might seem strange because I'm arguing stuff so much on the forum, but honestly I have been playing this game TONS. I've nearly clocked up 24 hours already according to my save file. I really love it, but I just don't agree that this is how a Sonic game should be, 100%.

Edited by JezMM