Awoo.

Cutscene Reveal

Detective Shadzter

Who says nobody did? I certainly wouldn't mind if they had someone who sounded like Jason Griffith, but acted like... well, good. =/

But in any case, it might be because a good amount of fans don't think Griffith's voice was appropriate for Sonic to begin with, so even if the acting quality was perfect, it would still be bad.

Honestly, I think its because noone can replicate Griffith's voice. Its unique, and only he has it. They'd always end up sounding slightly different.

Besides, when I saw "new voice actor", I hoped for a voice that was different, not one that was the same but with better acting. If that's all they wanted, they could have hired a better voice director, who would have forced him to act properly.

EDIT:

Ahh, that makes much more sense.

In regards to that, if you've heard RCS' demo reel, he can do the exact same voice he's doing now, except with a higher tone, not dissimmilar to the tone Griffith and Drummond use.

It is entirely possible for him to change his performance slightly (Thus marks the difference between actors and Voice Actors. VA's can alter their voices to suit different roles, whereas an actor can't change the way they look)

EDIT 2:

Ferno's Vid.

That was RCS, except with worse voice direction.

Edited by Scar

Here's a question. Why is it that apparently, everybody wanted a "Palant done right" but not a "Griffith done right"? Seems strange to me.

Oh I've got your "Griffth done right" fix:

The problem is that while it sounds great, it pretty much sounds just like Griffith, which, like I said earlier, wouldn't make much sense. If the replacement for the previous guy sounds just like the mentioned previous guy, then what's the point unless it was some terrible situation like Griffith dying or something?

Look at pokemanz, for example, 4kids lost the rights for the series, and the new guys tried to emulate the old guys because the majority of fans loved the old voices.

On the other side of the coin, in Sonic's case, the majority of fans strongly disliked the old voices, so Sega's making them all sound somewhat different. 'Makes sense to me at least.

Edited by Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Here's a question. Why is it that apparently, everybody wanted a "Palant done right" but not a "Griffith done right"? Seems strange to me.

Well, a lot of people did want a "Griffith done right". You see, those are the people asking for Ryan Drummond's return.

You know, since Griffith was nothing but a Drummond impersonator anyway?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure what to think about Rogers voice. I love it but it seems odd to hear that voice coming out of Sonic's mouth... guess it's just where I'm not used to it...

And if Griffith in Unleashed wasn't a problem, then why is it that apparently, Smith's take on Sonic is OMG OUT OF THIS WORLD better?

Just because Griffith's voice got better doesn't mean he is the absolute best actor in the world for Sonic. You seem to be trying to deconstruct Roger's reception into black and white-- essentially saying that if one liked Griffith's voice, there's not a chance in Hell they should like Roger's as much because it sounds different-- and frankly that's a nonsensical road to take. Subjectivity should not be as poorly defined as that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes..... YES

Everything about that scene was right. From the script to the little iddy-biddy details to restore Sonic's famous tude (I cried tears of joy on the inside when he did that Moonwalk), I don't know how that little piece of the game could have been any better.

I would start standing in line for this game today if I had to.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

@Nepenth:The person the question (that you responded to) was directed at said that in response to me never liking Smith's voice. He said that Griffith's voice in Unleashed was SO good, that people who previously hated his voice actually liked it. If they liked his voice in Unleashed, then why is it that this take on Sonic, completely different from every voice Sonic has EVER had (once again, including pre-game ones), is so much better than the Unleashed voice that it can be considered a vast improvement. I'm not talking about comparison to Griffith.

Jaleel White and Martin Burke hit the nail on the head. Ryan Drummond and Jason Griffith were close, but missed the mark. In my opinion, Roger Craig Smith is shooting in the opposite direction.

@Ferno: You missing the point of the question. I just want to know why people haven't been pining for that like they've been pining for a "Palant done right". And actually, there would be a point to replacing Griffith with someone that sounds like him done right. See, the only consistent complaint people have really had with Griffith is his actual acting, not his tone of voice. The writing in Unleashed was a vast improvement over previous games, and thus was Griffith's performance.

@Scar: No. Actors can change their voice for roles as well. See Hugh Laurie in House, or Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. But your post and Ferno's video have shown me that he can actually alter his voice to be unrecognizable from his speaking one. That's the one I think he should be using.

@Scar: No. Actors can change their voice for roles as well. See Hugh Laurie in House, or Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. But your post and Ferno's video have shown me that he can actually alter his voice to be unrecognizable from his speaking one. That's the one I think he should be using.

Note: I said Actors can't change their appearance.

And RCS is shooting in the opposite direction in terms of what? The way his voice sounds?

He can do it in a higher tone. In fact that vid of the ASR ad, was him doing his voice with a higher tone.

So I guess this is what AAUK was hinting at earlier this week...

Anyway, as much as I wanted to keep this game 95% spoiler free, I couldn't resist watching that. The cut-scene is beautifully animated and as for the voice acting...:

All those years of Jason voicing Sonic hit me HARD, because that was just unexpected. Definitely sounds a bit more aged that the previous VAs tho, but it actually has more flow to it, so I can definitely give it props.

But it's no big deal. After a few more cutscenes, I'll get use to it. B)

Tails' voice on the other hand sounds so natural that it doesn't evoke the same feeling. He sounds exactly how someone his age would.

The person the question (that you responded to) was directed at said that in response to me never liking Smith's voice. He said that Griffith's voice in Unleashed was SO good, that people who previously hated his voice actually liked it. If they liked his voice in Unleashed, then why is it that this take on Sonic, completely different from every voice Sonic has EVER had (once again, including pre-game ones), is so much better than the Unleashed voice that it can be considered a vast improvement. I'm not talking about comparison to Griffith.

Note: I said Actors can't change their appearance.

And RCS is shooting in the opposite direction in terms of what? The way his voice sounds?

He can do it in a higher tone. In fact that vid of the ASR ad, was him doing his voice with a higher tone.

I don't understand how you've cleared up anything. I reiterate-- Just because one liked Griffith's voice in Unleashed doesn't mean they cannot like a different interpretation the same or even better than Griffith's. Your rebuttal to the poster's question assumes that Griffith's direction was unanimously thought to be the absolute ideal, which is, of course, nonsense; The issue of voice acting is completely subjective and runs the whole gamut in terms of quality levels. You can like something, then come to like something new better. I don't see how this is a problematic revelation.

Edited by Aerosol

Aerosol, you've been saying a whole bunch of things in this thread, most of them irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make about a particular piece of reasoning you've displayed throughout the debacle. I don't care how you feel about the new voice, nor do know what your reiteration about your primary focus being the tone of voice has anything to do with what I'm saying. All I was trying to discuss was your response to a particular poster which made absolutely no sense whatsoever, which you've misinterpreted as me saying that was actually your argument, when that was hardly the case either.

But this is all bollocks anyways. I'm going to pull out now, partly because you're aggravated, partly because it's going nowhere because we apparently don't understand each other, and partly because I don't want to contribute any further to this whatchamacallit that's happening now. xP

EDIT: You know what? I'll cut it short. Smith's voice is great, but it doesn't match this visual portrayal for Sonic. The voice director should take advantage of his vocal abilities and have Sonic sounding a little more cartoony. If that means high-pitched, so be it. Here, Sonic sounded best when saying his first line, and sounded the worst with his last.

LOVE IT! :D

Tails is great, and Sonic will take to some getting used to. :)

I agree with the opinions that Kate is a bit like Amy, but more boyish, it does work this time!

And same goes for the surfer voice for Roger, but that was apparent even in the original edited Alton clips. :P

I'm amazed at the graphics, there's like virtually no difference between the graphics in Unleashed's cutscenes, it's mind-boggling! :blink: I'd say Sega did more with Colors for what the Wii can do than Unleashed did for the HD platforms, but that might be due to the 100% focus on the singular Wii version, rather than splitting it to two+ platforms.

Also, I noticed Tails did a particular sad face look:

2e3mrk7.jpg

Takes me back to that infamous part in the last story of Adventure where Tails goes "good thing you're okay!" :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Roger Craig Smith sounds a lot better than I thought he would as Sonic. His acting is spry and lively without being over the top, which are traits that the character has been sorely missing since Jason Griffith took over the role from Ryan Drummond.

Kate Higgins as Tails...I dunno, I think it'll take some time for me to warm up to her. Her rendition of the character, to me, sounds too much like a woman trying to do a little boy's voice. Still, at least he SOUNDS like a boy now, which is far more than I could say for Amy Palant's rendition 95% of the time.

All in all, I'm pleased.

I liked Jason more :/

*shot*

Now, it'll take me a while with new voice. But the humor is FTLOL

Yacker is so fucking cute.

One thing I find interesting is that as far back as Jaleel White, Sonic's succeeding VA has always made him sound significantly older than his previous VA. It's pretty cool, especially since he sounds appropriate for his IRL age.

As for the cutscene itself...... the writing isn't anymore amazing than previous games, Sonic's acting is still a little off, but no worse than before, Tails on the other hand is pretty much spot on. Sonic's delivery still sounds like what I'd here from Griffith or Drummond, which almost makes the funny quips come off as cringe inducing, even without the awkward, overly dramatic hand gestures, and makes the "lol4thwallbreaking" make me wanna bury my head in my hands and hope no one is around. Which is kinda the problem, the writing doesn't sound like it's any different, i.e better than what the usual writers do.

So:

Sonic: Could get used to, but delivery STILL needs improvement despite the VA change (seriously what kind of directors are running that place?!) I honestly don't see any sort if improvement, as it just sounds like the same corny delivery we've heard before but with a different voice.

Tails: Couldn't be better, sounds just like what Palant tried to pull off, and delivery is excellent.

Writing: Some of the quips come off as a bit forced, though it partly has to do with the writing and the fact that it's Sonic delivering them, or better yet, Sonic's dialogue itself feels forced, as Tails' seems to have no problems like that.

Definitely gotta wait to see if it gets better or not from here.

Funny, whenever I play Ratchet & Clank I always think "they should make Sonic sound like Ratchet", and lo and behold, Sonic now sounds like Ratchet!

What I love is that he's clearly not trying to impersonate any previous actors, just to create his own attitude for Sonic.

Ever since they first started adding voices to games (and to the anime) Sonic has sounded really bizarre due to people trying to impersonate Jaleel White and getting that whole forced nasal thing. Ryan's delivery of lines in SA1's might have been corny but he had a cool voice and didn't sound like he had something stuck up his nose all the time like he did from SA2 onwards. This one goes back to SA1 and just gives him a cool voice which suits his character. Awesome.

Maybe it's a little early to judge, from one cut-scene, but from what I hear so far this is the best voice Sonic has ever had.

Edited by DistantJ

Is this an early version of the cutscene or something? The lip-sync looks so bad and unfinished.

The voices are good, but the writing is disappointing. These jokes are just lame. I was hoping they'd be well written, but it's just stupid stuff like "WISPS! not LISPS! DERP DERP!" It's just trying to hard.

I think they should've focused more on VISUAL humor, since that is the kind of humor that Sonic has had the most success in.

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit late, went grocery shopping. -_-"

@Ferno: You missing the point of the question. I just want to know why people haven't been pining for that like they've been pining for a "Palant done right".