Awoo.

Cutscene Reveal

Detective Shadzter

Sonic’s new voice is slowly starting to grow on me after watching that cutscene over and over. Sonic sounds older and way less annoying now.

Edited by sonfan1984

Ho.............ly...............Shit!!! Sonic has.....A good voice? HALLELUJAH!

I fucking knew Roger Craig Smith was going to be a huge improvement over Jason Griffith, and he is! As for Tails voice, he sounds less like Sakura than I'd imagined, surprisingly. That cutscene was hilarious, though. In a little kids way. Now I can see why people are confused at SEGA marketing this as a kids game.

Oh I've got your "Griffth done right" fix:

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox

Tails's voice is very good and fitting, while Sonic's sounds just wrong to me; I hope it's gonna change quite a bit in due time, this is a lot worse than both the old voice actors.

It's not a matter of getting used to, that tone just screams "out of character". :blink:

Edited by ilcane87
  • Thumbs Up 1

If by "Griffith done right" you mean "Griffith with a cockney accent", then I can see where you're coming from. :D

Edited by Octarine

Finally get a chance to post my comments:

Sonic - Roger does a good job overall. My only complaint, as so many others have already said, is that his voice is too deep. It doesn't make his voice bad, but it would definetly sound better if it wasn't so deep. Apart from that though he sounds very much like Jaleel White, which I approve of greatly. For me, Jaleel and Ryan got Sonic spot on.

So my verdict at the moment is better than Jason's but not as good as Ryan's or Jaleel's.

Tails - I'm very happy with Kate's voice for Tails. Though Corey Bringas is my favourite Tails VA, Kate has definetly got it right as well. Also, I noticed a bit of Christopher Evan Welch's Tails in her performance, again I very much approve of this.

The scene itself was very reminiscent of the 90s Sonic cartoons! Just watching it took me back to watching Sonic on channel 4 on Sat/Sun mornings. They were definetly trying to replicate the Sonic of the 90s. The whole thing was just so much like Sonic in the DiC cartoons, Aosth in particular (but not exclusively). It got me thinking how great it would be if they did a new Sonic cartoon in that sorta style with Roger and Kate voicing.

The 4th wall breaking moment was however a bit lame, but I do love that it was reminiscent of similar moments in Aosth (though, no where near as funny as them).

So yeah, I really get what they're trying to do, and for the most part, it was successful.

I think the new voice for Sonic is fitting.

This new voice is way stronger and more "heroic" sounding, as if I can actually trust this character to save people's lives; not some nasally fuck who you want to punch in the face. As for it sounding too old, I really do think it's just a matter of getting used to it. We've been fed a nasally sounding Sonic this entire time, so of course anything other then that is going to sound out of place.

I think a great way for this new voice to be set in stone a little better is seeing him do a dramatic scene. One of those corny "I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog" things while blabbing to Eggman before he destroys him. This new voice I think will support this much better now.

Either way, hate it or not, I think he's here to stay, so we have no choice other then to get use to it. It's either that, or we further plague the fandom by creating 9001 Youtube videos of "why this new actor is better then the last one but not as good as the first lololol" or something along the lines.

-Blur

• Thumbs Up 5

The voices are good, but the writing is disappointing. These jokes are just lame. I was hoping they'd be well written, but it's just stupid stuff like "WISPS! not LISPS! DERP DERP!" It's just trying to hard.

SEGA has said numerous times that this games main target audience is the young kids, so of course the writing is going to come across cheesy and "lame" to some of the older fans. I like it personally, but that's just me :P

I think the gameplay is what's mainly going to appeal to the older fans.

I just noticed the cutscene was uploaded three days ago. I know it was on private ,but you sly dogs. ;D

Is this an early version of the cutscene or something? The lip-sync looks so bad and unfinished.

The voices are good, but the writing is disappointing. These jokes are just lame. I was hoping they'd be well written, but it's just stupid stuff like "WISPS! not LISPS! DERP DERP!" It's just trying to hard.

I think they should've focused more on VISUAL humor, since that is the kind of humor that Sonic has had the most success in.

The lip syncing sucks, no denying that. But the jokes I don't have a problem with. Maybe there was one too many for that particular scene, but eh I liked it. There is a little bit of visual humour there too- watch Yacker. Everything about this game so far "feels so right", cutscenes included.

I just noticed the cutscene was uploaded three days ago. I know it was on private ,but you sly dogs. ;D

Ha ha! Didn't notice that. I only found out about it on Thursday and saw the screen-cap in Dread's article. Had to wait for the video like you guys though.

OH MY GOD.

SUDDENTLY, SONIC HAS A REALISTIC AND WELL ACTED VOICE.

Tails sounds great too. What the fuck is up with that cutscene music though? It kinda makes Tails sound like a little kid from Barney or other shows like that. Without the music he'd sound fine, but the music is pretty eh for that scene.

BUT SERIOUSLY. Sonic is great sounding. It'll take some getting used to (suddently, all of his past voices come rushing back to me) but it's certainly the best acting and voice work in a Sonic game I have ever heard.

I must be the only one who didn't have any problem with the writing whatsoever. Then again, I did just watch the first two episodes of the new My Little Pony and liked it, so clearly I'm not right in the head.

• Thumbs Up 1

I forwarded the video to my 9 and 7 year old male and female cousins and they absolutely loved it and thought i was really funny, so on that side mission accomplished.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow i just showed this to my little bother and he loved the scene but hated both voices. :lol:

FFFFFFFFFF posts not posting. Okay, so Sonic sounds fantastic now. He's got some attitude in his voice, can act and sounds so cool. I cracked up when hearing how he spoke to Yacker. The music works really well too. Unleashed stated doing that kind of music so it's nice to see Colours continuing it. Remind me, where exactly has this game cocked up?

Aquaslash: you're not the only one who didn't have a problem with the writing.

Bah, what do these kids today know about voices.

EDIT: Ok I showed it to my 12 year old sister , and she said she likes the voices saying "They finally hit puberty" and she thought it was funny.

Edited by Shadic93

One thing I really like is that they don't seem to be acting as wooden as the 4kids VA's. Not everything Sonic says is identical to that of the subtitles (saying 'em instead of them, etcetera.) I know it's only very small details, but imo it shows the voice actors are thinking as the characters rather than just reading a script, giving their own flair on the voices.

I like them, anyway. Tails is a huge improvement, that's a given, but it'll still take some getting used to Sonic. It's just very different from the usual. I do think Roger Craig Smith is a pretty good voice actor and it's clear he's excited about getting the role. He's bound to fit into it a bit better over time, just like Jason did.

Wow, my spelling is terrible at 2am. :unsure:

Edited by bolt7

This reminds me of my biggest disappointment of Sonic 06. The opening cutscene with Sonic tipping over the robot with his foot promised so much character...so much of the classic humor. For shame.....

This reminds me of my biggest disappointment of Sonic 06. The opening cutscene with Sonic tipping over the robot with his foot promised so much character...so much of the classic humor. For shame.....

Its one cutscene mate, I'm pretty sure they get better.

I can't tell what you're trying to say. Sonic is brimming with character in this scene. The moonwalking, they way he talks and his general manner. The directing and script (and acting skill too most likely) has helped that character be portrayed so much better that in the past. When Drummond and Griffith did good they really did good, but this whole new package is hitting the target from every angle. Except lip syncing. I hope it's better elsewhere.

Edited by Blue Blood

Also this is cutscene 4 and not the opening cutscene. ;D -shot-

Ya gotta wonder though, what if voice work is like filming movies, as in, 'everything not being filmed/ recorded in the order that it happens'? For example, in some movies, sometimes a later scene is recorded before earlier scenes. Do they do that for VA recordings as well, or is it just recorded all in order from start to finish?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya gotta wonder though, what if voice work is like filming movies, as in, 'everything not being filmed/ recorded in the order that it happens'? For example, in some movies, sometimes a later scene is recorded before earlier scenes. Do they do that for VA recordings as well, or is it just recorded all in order from start to finish?

It really depends on the company behind it. Also when it comes to voice acting, they will play the scene for them, and it's just the one person recording the scene. Then later they'll do the same for other characters.

I'm actually really happy with the voice work for Color, and I absolutely love Tails's new voice actor. It really does fit him, and not to mention I do love the humor that goes into scene. Now I really can't wait to see more of the cut scenes in the future!

That was just... great. Some of the hand animations look a bit floaty, but the facial expressions are fantastic and their motions have a lot of character (like moonwalking back into the picture), rather than just standing around and chopping into prerendered animations. And RCS's voice acting was brilliant. I can certainly see the difference better than I could between Drummond and Griffith, and it may take some getting used to, but his emoting is brilliant; he just seems to improvise his character a lot better. Also, Tails sounds just like Jimmy Neutron. Which really couldn't make more sense. But one thing still gets me: why would he translate into binary? And how could he even read it that fast? Even Hex would be more convenient if you could understand it as English.

I'm going to join this experiment...

I showed it to my nephews (2 and 6 years), they loved the movie and didn't notice the voice change. (lolwut)

Also:

faceface.png

• Thumbs Up 4