Awoo.

Cutscene Reveal

Detective Shadzter

No. I don't have to give it time. I've listened to it over and over and it sounds incorrect to me. You don't like my opinion? That's too bad. Yea, telling somebody "that's too bad' in response to their opinion does seem kinda pointless don't it?

If Sonic speaks like this in stages, I might gag. It's fine in a cutscene because they are largely irrelevant. But if I hear Sonic make a remark about scenery or how much he has to hurry in that gruff voice, it might start to grate on my nerves.

Edited by Blue Blood

LET THE VOICE WARS BEGIN!!!

....What? Who said that >.>

*cough cough* Anyways, I really like both Sonic's and Tails' new voices. That, and the whole of the cutscene reminded me somewhat of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. Although Roger Craig Smith sounds NOTHING like Jaleel White, the cutscene just had a sort of carefree and lighthearted air to it. Definately accessible to kids, but something even slightly older people could enjoy because it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

And this is a problem for me. You would think it'd be the main character of the game and the entire franchise that they'd make sure was voiced absolutely perfectly, not his sidekick.

Sonic’s new voice needs ALOT of time for me to get used to it. Not that it sounds horrible, it just I’m not used to that kind of tone for him.

Tails new voice however…IT’S AWESOME! It’s perfect! No complaints from me! <3

Bah whatever.

I love Sonic's new voice, because it sounds natural. Acting is so much better than ever before that its not even funny.

Seriously, if RCS is this good on his first first game, in the fourth cutscene, then I think he'll probably be the best ever, once he gets used to the role and finds the right tone.

And again, I'm glad RCS tried his own take on the voice, because it works, and doesn't sound forced or fake.

It will take time getting used to it, just like it took time to get used to Griffith.

Again, I emphasise how this is probably the most casual a conversation has ever gotten in a Sonic game. Its more akin to banter between stages as opposed to a story progressing cutscene.

Also, this must be noted, the Voice Director is also really good. Its one thing to have a good actor/actress, but its another to get them to act the lines appropriately.

Props to the Voice Director.

I'm already used to the tone of voice for Sonic, yet I feel that Roger sounds best when he's being as casual and natural as possible; When he recounts his brief outing to Tails, he sounds excellent. However, since the tone isn't high-pitched or excitable like Drummond's or Griffith's, lines like his articulated question to Yacker or his second mentioning of trashing robots at the end, (Seriously, am I the only one who twitched an eye at that one?), sound forced and can ruin the effect a bit. This presents an interesting development to watch for over the next few years, because Sonic is a character that's hardly casual and natural as far as acting's concerned.

Nevertheless, I still want to hear more. x3

• Thumbs Up 1

Love both voices but I think Sonic is going to take some getting used to. He opened his mouth and I was expecting to hear Griffith's voice :P

Thanks to AAUK and Sega for the reveal!

I haven't left my opinion but now will, I often wait until it dies down a little.

Wit ha chance to let Sonic's voice grow on me, I love these voices. Sonic's deepness was a bit off-putting at first but already I am loving it, same with Tails. It only took two hours but adapting and loving it. I want to hear what Sonic sounds like wise-cracking still at Eggman still, but loving the exchanges between them and the style of the game, and the small subtle jokes even.

No. I don't have to give it time. I've listened to it over and over and it sounds incorrect to me. You don't like my opinion? That's too bad. Yea, telling somebody "that's too bad' in response to their opinion does seem kinda pointless don't it?

By "time" he means entire games. Not listening to one cutscene over and over. That isn't time. That would be like listening to the first scene in Sonic X where Griffith first spoke over and over and claiming that that was all he had to offer is vocal talent.

Sonic's definitely different from the usual, but in a good way. I can pretty much say it's the best voice the character has EVER got. ...I mean...EVER. It's full of personality.

Same goes for Tails. Kate Higgins is fantastic.

I don't think it's a bad voice, but... I'm not really feeling anything about it in either direction.

Still sounds like Sonic to me, I guess.

I was sold before they even started talking (watching Sonic moonwalking was awesome). <3

"Getting used to" my ***, I love Sonic's voice... It's different, and that's what I wanted when they announced the VA switch.

Kate is Palant's Tails done right, I like it too.

The only problem is the cutscene itself because there are some sync problems...

It's a shame because the whole scene is great when I just hear it (no video), but when I watch it, it seems unnatural (and some movements doesn't seem to fit with the voices). =/

The humor is great too. :lol:

Edited by gato

Man, i like this guy's Sonic voice a lot better than Griffith's. Griffith simply couldn't convey attitude. This guy however manages to convey the same "i'm a cocky cock" feeling that White and Drummond did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, to be honest, I loved Drummond, and I loved Griffith. Both sounded excellent. I never had any complaints.

...now, though, I'm really wishing we got one or the other back. I do NOT like Sonic's new voice. I'll get used to it, but seriously... its just too different... at least in the past they TRIED finding voices that sounded similar.

Tails isn't too bad, though. I don't mind him so much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I could 'hear the Sakura' when Tails said "I think I can figure this out though." Still awesome though just an observation. =p

you cannot unhear :U

@Blue Blood: Ok. I can agree with that.

@Shadic93: The difference is, however, that both Drummond and Griffith had to actually alter their voice to perform those parts (Griffith more so than Drummond). Not only did I like those voices, I could also see them getting better. Finally, they were more in line with the tone of voice Sonic ALWAYS had, even before he started speaking in games. Check out the Sonic OVA. And you're right, no-one did say they were gonna get it right on the first try. Including me.

@SiLeNtDo0m: I'm not stupid, I know what he meant. And I never claimed that this is all the voice talent Roger has to offer. He isn't the only one responsible for Sonic, you know. There is also a voice director that has to approve this. The voice director is the one that said giving Sonic this tone of voice was o.k. I'm sure Roger Craig Smith can do better, but not with this voice. Like I've said before, there are things that are common to all voices Sonic has had in all instances he's spoken. This take on Sonic's voice has few, if any, of these qualities. I don't like it, and I never will.

Well, well, guess I'll have to say thanks to Roger for making Sonic sounding sooo much better tomorrow!

My response is much like everyone elses, the cutscene is superb and mildly amusing, animation is fluid and much more lively, and of course, the voices are simply BETTER.

Even for me, Rogers Sonic needs more time to shrink in with me until I forget about Jasons Sonic, but Tails I shank into straight away. It was the voice that Palant was trying so hard to do (as heard in Unleashed) and Kate perfected it so well.

Overall, great job!

Here's a question. Why is it that apparently, everybody wanted a "Palant done right" but not a "Griffith done right"? Seems strange to me.

@Blue Blood: Ok. I can agree with that.

@Shadic93: The difference is, however, that both Drummond and Griffith had to actually alter their voice to perform those parts (Griffith more so than Drummond). Not only did I like those voices, I could also see them getting better. Finally, they were more in line with the tone of voice Sonic ALWAYS had, even before he started speaking in games. Check out the Sonic OVA. And you're right, no-one did say they were gonna get it right on the first try. Including me.

@SiLeNtDo0m: I'm not stupid, I know what he meant. And I never claimed that this is all the voice talent Roger has to offer. He isn't the only one responsible for Sonic, you know. There is also a voice director that has to approve this. The voice director is the one that said giving Sonic this tone of voice was o.k. I'm sure Roger Craig Smith can do better, but not with this voice. Like I've said before, there are things that are common to all voices Sonic has had in all instances he's spoken. This take on Sonic's voice has few, if any, of these qualities. I don't like it, and I never will.

Drummond can alter his voice [slightly] for performances, however, Griffith...

Well, he uses basically the same voice [i.e his normal talking voice] for almost every role he does. This shows very little vocal range. Acting was also a bit....meh, even his best performances didn't stand out.

Saying his voice sounded would probably be the better thing to say, but overall, as an actor, he wasn't very good.

Drummond was OK as an actor and his voice, I found was too high pitched and too hyperactive, if you see what I mean, but I appreciate why so many liked him.

Still, RCS's first performance as Sonic wipes up the floor with Drummond's "Aww yeah, this is happening" and "Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaahh" and Jason Griffith's performance in the early parts of Sonic X

I can only imagine his deliveries will even out, and probably become slightly higher pitched.

Also, given the context of the scene, I can understand why his voice is so deep. They're talking to each other casually. Generally, when you talk casually, your voice quietens and lowers.

Love the actual acting though, a lot of emotion, and didn't seem forced. Natural would be the best way to describe it.

This take on Sonic's voice has few, if any, of these qualities. I don't like it, and I never will

Apologies if this comes off as a little rude, but what qualities are your referring to? Is is the sound of their voices, or is it their acting/method of portraying the character?

And finally;

I don't like it, and I never will

People said that about Griffith, and then came Sonic Unleashed.

Don't mean to be rude here, so again, I apologize if I do.

Here's a question. Why is it that apparently, everybody wanted a "Palant done right" but not a "Griffith done right"? Seems strange to me.

You mean Drummond?*shot*

In all seriousness, this is great. It's funny to see a Sonic game being cheesey because it was written to be cheesey! As said multiple times, Sonic's voice will take some getting used to, but it still sounds fairly decent/fitting.

And Tails' voice, oh Tails' voice <3

Edited by BlazingTales

Who says nobody did? I certainly wouldn't mind if they had someone who sounded like Jason Griffith, but acted like... well, good. =/

But in any case, it might be because a good amount of fans don't think Griffith's voice was appropriate for Sonic to begin with, so even if the acting quality was perfect, it would still be bad.

You misunderstand what I mean when I say alter, Scar. When I say alter, I mean they don't speak like that in real life. That's not their normal tone of voice. And if Griffith in Unleashed wasn't a problem, then why is it that apparently, Smith's take on Sonic is OMG OUT OF THIS WORLD better?

And for future reference, I'm talking about the actual tone of voice. The sound, not the acting. The acting and line delivery is what the voice director is supposed to regulate the most. The tone of voice is what they have little control over....if they don't like the tone of voice, they get someone else. Think of movie director's. If they sign on an actor and realize later that the way they look really doesn't suit the part, they get someone else. Though, these kinds of decisions are made in the auditioning process, really.