Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Actually, somebody at Sonic Retro calculated that there are exactly 71 stages in this game (Sonic Simulator included).

WWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTTT?????!!!!! :o That's even more levels than Super Mario Galaxy 2!! :blink:

There was challenge, it was only there because the controls were terrible and impossible to use, but there was challenge.

Also, what's with the muted colors comments? this game is so bright it could blind jesus.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! That's frickin' hilarious!! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

WWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTTT?????!!!!! :o That's even more levels than Super Mario Galaxy 2!! :blink:

Well, um, not exactly, from my point of view there's 242 stages in Galaxy 2.

I wouldn't really count Green Stars count as their own stages, especially since Colours has its own equivalent in its Red Rings (or Tokens or Coins or whatever)... it has more of those per stage than Galaxy 2 does Green Stars, too. I'd probably give the content nod to SMG2 anyway, but still...

I don't think we can say which one has more content until we play. Lots of Mario Galaxy 2's stages were also pretty small and many of them occurred in the same place just with different missions, so it really comes down to how you judge content and define "stages".

I wouldn't really count Green Stars count as their own stages, especially since Colours has its own equivalent in its Red Rings (or Tokens or Coins or whatever)... it has more of those per stage than Galaxy 2 does Green Stars, too. I'd probably give the content nod to SMG2 anyway, but still...

42 regular stages minimum, each with 5 Simulator rings. Assuming it takes you 1 run of a level to get 1 Simulator Ring, then that its 210.

Plus 21 simulator stages, so thats 231 "stages".

Regardless, the levels in Sonic Colours are probably bigger than in SMG2. I mean if they were to be of any meaning ful length, they'd have to be huge, given how fast Sonic runs in comparison to Mario.

If you hacked Mario into a Sonic Colours stage, it would take AGES to complete.

Anyway, why are we comparing?

I meant the number of Galaxies (not the number of Stars...). Super Mario Galaxy 2 has 49 galaxies and 242 Stars (Missions) to complete on those 49 Galaxies.

I meant the number of Galaxies (not the number of Stars...). Super Mario Galaxy 2 has 49 galaxies and 242 Stars (Missions) to complete on those 49 Galaxies.

Well, judging by your point of view, that means Sonic Colors only has like, 7 stages.

EDIT: (p.s. I don't care how many stages Colors has, because 6 acts per world in a 3D Sonic game is fine with me)

Edited by Chaos Rush

Well, judging by your point of view, that means Sonic Colors only has like, 7 stages.

I don't agree with that either, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 had 1 stage per galaxy with multiple missions occurring within' the same space. Sonic Colors has 6 stages per zone (7 if you include bosses) plus the Sonic Simulator stages, plus as mentioned Sonic Colors stages are considerably larger and less linear for the most part than Mario Galaxy 2's stages. In the end it all comes down to how you define content though I won't judge until I've 100% Sonic Colors as I 100% Mario Galaxy 2.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

I don't agree with that either, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 had 1 stage per galaxy with multiple missions occurring within' the same space. Sonic Colors has 6 stages per zone (7 if you include bosses) plus the Sonic Simulator stages, plus as mentioned Sonic Colors stages are considerably larger and less linear for the most part than Mario Galaxy 2's stages. In the end it all comes down to how you define content though I won't judge until I've 100% Sonic Colors as I 100% Mario Galaxy 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario Galaxy games have lots of levels. Sonic Colours has lots of levels. I'm a happy Mario fan and a happy Sonic fan. I think that's enough, whichever has the most content.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 regular stages minimum, each with 5 Simulator rings. Assuming it takes you 1 run of a level to get 1 Simulator Ring, then that its 210.

Plus 21 simulator stages, so thats 231 "stages".

Regardless, the levels in Sonic Colours are probably bigger than in SMG2. I mean if they were to be of any meaning ful length, they'd have to be huge, given how fast Sonic runs in comparison to Mario.

If you hacked Mario into a Sonic Colours stage, it would take AGES to complete.

Anyway, why are we comparing?

If you compare Galaxy, when Mario flies from planet to planet in super speed so many times. Many Mario stages can be as long as Sonic day time levels, (if your comparing to unleashed so yea. In the end, I think Mario Galaxy 2 (mostly) will take longer to beat and has more stuff then Sonic Colors, but it just depends on what kind of gamer you are and what you like better. From what I see, I can tell Colors will be right up there with Galaxy 1 and 2 for me.B)

Mario Galaxy is sure to have more unique boss fights though. Considering there are only 6 (perhaps 7) zones and we already know we fight the Ferris Wheel and the Battle Ship twice in Colors. Not a big deal though, in fact it's nice to FINALLY see a (console) Sonic title that's of high enough quality to be able to be compared to a Mario game again.

Mario Galaxy is sure to have more unique boss fights though. Considering there are only 6 (perhaps 7) zones and we already know we fight the Ferris Wheel and the Battle Ship twice in Colors. Not a big deal though, in fact it's nice to FINALLY see a (console) Sonic title that's of high enough quality to be able to be compared to a Mario game again.

I'm surprised reviewers have only started complaining about rehashed bosses in this Sonic game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't pretty much EVERY 3D Sonic game had rehashed bosses?

Let's take Sonic Adventure 2 as a quick example. How many times did you have to fight that 2 legged GUN robot in each of the stories? It was about 3 or 4 times overall!

But I will definately agree that Galaxy has more unique boss fights. That's one thing I love about Galaxy and Galaxy 2. The bosses all made me smile (except the rehashed final Bowser battle in Galaxy 2, which was literally the SAME as the 2nd Bowser battle just with a little added 30 seconds at the end).

I'm surprised reviewers have only started complaining about rehashed bosses in this Sonic game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't pretty much EVERY 3D Sonic game had rehashed bosses?

Let's take Sonic Adventure 2 as a quick example. How many times did you have to fight that 2 legged GUN robot in each of the stories? It was about 3 or 4 times overall!

But I will definately agree that Galaxy has more unique boss fights. That's one thing I love about Galaxy and Galaxy 2. The bosses all made me smile (except the rehashed final Bowser battle in Galaxy 2, which was literally the SAME as the 2nd Bowser battle just with a little added 30 seconds at the end).

I figured they're complaining now because Sonic Colors quality is so much higher then past games. Having something like a bunch of reused boss fights most likely sticks out like a sore thumb considering the quality of the rest of the game.

I figured they're complaining now because Sonic Colors quality is so much higher then past games. Having something like a bunch of reused boss fights most likely sticks out like a sore thumb considering the quality of the rest of the game.

Fair enough I guess. Colours is a high quality game indeed. I'm so glad that it has gained positive reception so far.

Just leaving this here.....

The_Technomancer from NeoGAF posted this:

RZSrb.png

Also, GamePro Magazine gave both the Wii and DS versions 87% each.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yay more positive scores! I'd like to see the review too. Is Gamepro a site or a mag? If a site, is there a link to the review? If a mag, I hope somebody does scans/main highlight quotes soon.

Yay more positive scores! I'd like to see the review too. Is Gamepro a site or a mag? If a site, is there a link to the review? If a mag, I hope somebody does scans/main highlight quotes soon.

It's a German Gaming Magazine though they also have a website but I don't think the review is up there.

Just leaving this here.....

Also, GamePro Magazine gave both the Wii and DS versions 87% each.

It's sooooo great to see Sega making good Sonic games again.

It's soooooo great to see Sega having a hand in good games period, again. They are like on a role. I think thay are working with Arc System on Guilty Gear. Holy shit. I am going to own a lot published games.

RZSrb.png

Would have been a bit more awesome if he used the Colors boxart (so that it looks like Sonic is punching through the Sonic Cycle), but it's still awesome regardless. Especially since it came from NeoGaf, a place where most of the members seem to hate anything that isn't classic Sonic. It's great to see a Sonic game that pretty much everyone (both critics and fans) love, especially after the mixed reception Sonic 4 got from fans (and to a certain degree, critics).

Edited by gamerguy21

I love that image of Sonic breaking the cycle.

It's like he's saying "What now, bitches?" :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1