Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Its funny how yesterday you were like "ok its not on the cover big deal, give ONM some slack!" and then the next day you're doing this big fucking rant about a game they clearly enjoyed quite a bit.

I mean, even I was like "lolwat?" at Unleashed having more character or complaining about platforming in a platformer, but honestly its just some guy's opinion. Whoop-de-damn-do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's not forget, Mr. Scullion was clearly inundated with work, reviewing that Sonic Screwdriver Wiimote too, eh? ;)

I mean, that'd OBVIOUSLY have a HUGE impact on my ability to do what I do for a living.

...I bet he was playing Colours with that daft thing, wasn't he? THAT'S why he complained at multiplayer.

Maybe it's because Sonic not being on the cover is something totally different than a badly written review?

Exactly this. Half of it wasn't down to opinion though. Sure my post was long winded, and half of it had to do simply with a clash of opinion, but the other half actually was relatively to reviewing technique, which in this review was poor.

Its funny how yesterday you were like "ok its not on the cover big deal, give ONM some slack!" and then the next day you're doing this big fucking rant about a game they clearly enjoyed quite a bit.

I mean, even I was like "lolwat?" at Unleashed having more character or complaining about platforming in a platformer, but honestly its just some guy's opinion. Whoop-de-damn-do.

And a cover means nothing compared to a review of a game. A "professional" review is what people judge a game by not only before/when it comes out, but long after too. A cover for a magazine just shows the main highlight of the magazine.

People can have their opinions, I even said that at the end of my rant, but when you are writing a professional review (a review that lots of people are going to look at and judge the game by), you have to give decent justification for your views otherwise there's not really any point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna have to jump on the bandwagon and say that the review of the Wii version is pretty sub-par. I don't care what he scored it as I rarely even read reviews, let alone look at the score.

But a few things stuck out for me.

First off, he seemed to be complaining that the game actually had platforming. And he seems entirely too happy with the daytime levels of Unleashed, which were at times boring and monotonous (at least to me). If Colors were just an expanded version of the daytime levels, I probably wouldn't get it. Thankfully, it's not. It has more platforming, the Wisps, more exploration and branching paths, less emphasis on QTEs, etc.

Further, he complained about the multiplayer, but didn't give us any examples or reasoning. He just said it was "rubbish" and finished up the review. Don't you think that might be something a prospective buyer of the game might want to know about?

He just seems like another idiot that is obsessed with the idea that if Sonic isn't running incredibly fast, there's something wrong. Which is dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the review is alright but it annoys me when some of these 'professional' reviewers complains about the slow platforming in Sonic. I like Sonic Unleashed but it feels more like a racing game so I'm glad that Colors has more platforming in it. It makes me wonder if they even played the classics Sonic at all cause those games has alot of platforming and it's not really speedy.

Okay the score itself is good, but that review... it's just someting else.

Edited by Balding Spider

After READING the review for myself, my opinion is a lot like everybody elses.

Having played the 360 version of Sonic Unleashed, sure it was fun blasting Sonic at fast speeds but it didn't really feel like you had time to take a breather.

So hearing that there's more platforming elements puts a smile on my face.

EDIT: Also, Sonic Colours not being nearly as vibrant and colourful as Unleashed is? Jeez...

Edited by Eth
  • Thumbs Up 3

But it's still confirmed to have only 44 acts with maybe a few secret acts but not enough to make 60, isn't it?

6 worlds x 6 acts per world = 36 + 6 boss fights = 42 + whatever the two final boss/level things are = 44 total.

Edit: Oh right, Sonic Simulator levels would totally put the total up to around 60.

Actually, somebody at Sonic Retro calculated that there are exactly 71 stages in this game (Sonic Simulator included).

Just cause you give a game a decent score doesn't mean your review can't be noted as crap.

And this review is a shit in all regards. Its just as bad a Game Informer saying stupid shit and lies about Vanquish.

Actually, somebody at Sonic Retro calculated that there are exactly 71 stages in this game (Sonic Simulator included).
I don't quite see how that's possible. Speedfreak's math is right, based on everything we've seen; counting normal levels, bosses, and simulator stages, that's 65 "levels".

EDIT: Also, Sonic Colours not being nearly as vibrant and colourful as Unleashed is? Jeez...

Topping Unleashed 360/PS3 in vibrancy is a difficult feat, and I can perhaps understand why. Bearing in mind I've only allowed myself to see the first two acts of TR and SM and the first act of PW, the game looks utterly dead in 3D areas. Like truly lifeless and empty- exactly like Unleashed Wii. The other thing it has in common with the Unleashed Wii is colours. Everything looks very washed out. It's weird for a game that's got Colours in its name and has a "Green Hill Las Vegas Zone in Space" environment to have such a muted palette.

That's visuals. They're great, but that's a problem that just difficult to get your head around. And the 3D design (what I've seen of it) is bland. Vibrancy in other areas, music specifically, is downright fantastic.

Edited by Blue Blood

You guys ever think, just maybe he enjoyed the Unleashed level design more? I mean its not impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually very happy and satisfied with the score.

86% is a pretty darn good score specially for a 3D sonic game, and to be honest I would be happy even with a 80% score, getting more than 85% in my book makes the game not only good but very outstanding in its own way.

The only problem I have with this is the review itself.

I mean, I know that the game has flaws and all but, my problem with the review is that the flaws they stated the game had were not explained in dept to why they are flaws.

For example, I can respect that they say the Multiplayer is rubbish but... why it is rubbish exactly? EXPLAIN PLEASE!!

And also they say this game is no better than the original Sonic Adventure, okay thats fine, but how exactly is SA better than Colors? care to explain?

I mean if they are gonna say that the game is no better than SA, then I expect them to at least tell my how SA is better, if they just say that one game is better than another and don't explain why, then that is just an atrocious way to review.

"Sonic Adventure is better... why? Because I say so!"

Of course I cant say if Sonic Adventure it is indeed better than Sonic Colors because I haven't played Colors yet, but since ONM didn't gave me a reason to why SA is better then I will take it as bullshit, I'm sorry but if the reviewer doesn't even care to explain and back up what he says, then I don't care to believe in what he says either.

The same with the worlds not being as inspired as those of Unleashed, again why are these inferior? how are the ones of Unleashed better? Explain dammit!

But anyway, the score is great and I'm happy with it, but the review could been way better in execution.

• Thumbs Up 4

Even in that case, he can kiss my ass. The Wii version's gameplay was made of cheap, empty thrills and no challenge.

And Blue Blood, judging from the gameplay videos, this game is even more vibrant than Unleashed HD

• Thumbs Up 3

Topping Unleashed 360/PS3 in vibrancy is a difficult feat, and I can perhaps understand why. Bearing in mind I've only allowed myself to see the first two acts of TR and SM and the first act of PW, the game looks utterly dead in 3D areas. Like truly lifeless and empty- exactly like Unleashed Wii. The other thing it has in common with the Unleashed Wii is colours. Everything looks very washed out. It's weird for a game that's got Colours in its name and has a "Green Hill Las Vegas Zone in Space" environment to have such a muted palette.

That's visuals. They're great, but that's a problem that just difficult to get your head around. And the 3D design (what I've seen of it) is bland. Vibrancy in other areas, music specifically, is downright fantastic.

doesn't look so dead to me.

and Eggman land was the only colorful stage in Unleashed (PS3/360/WiiPS2).

• Thumbs Up 3

and Eggman land was the only colorful stage in Unleashed (PS3/360/WiiPS2).

If you think lots of red is colorful...

Seriously, Eggmanland was literally a theme park from hell, and they didn't call it's BG music "Crimson Carnival" for nothing. It's an awesome looking stage, but not a colorful one. Chun-nan and Empire City beat it by miles in that department.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you think lots of red is colorful...

Seriously, Eggmanland was literally a theme park from hell, and they didn't call it's BG music "Crimson Carnival" for nothing. It's an awesome looking stage, but not a colorful one. Chun-nan and Empire City beat it by miles in that department.

Topping Unleashed 360/PS3 in vibrancy is a difficult feat, and I can perhaps understand why. Bearing in mind I've only allowed myself to see the first two acts of TR and SM and the first act of PW, the game looks utterly dead in 3D areas. Like truly lifeless and empty- exactly like Unleashed Wii.

True they had colors. but they didn't have colors variety,

i mean its just brown,black,yellow,grey, a bit green.

There was plenty of blue and red in some stages, with the blue being prominient in places near the ocean.

I mean seeing as how 90% of this game's locations are from the real world, it's understandable why they wouldn't have the kind of variety you're talking about. But Eggmanland is far from a colorful stage, and is one of the least colorful ones to boot.

Yeah, Sonic Unleashed on the 360/PS3 versions blew the Wii/PS2 versions out of the water in the visuals department (obviously, since they were in HD, which makes it an unfair fight to tell you the truth, and I know that better graphics don't make a better game), since my gripes with the Wii was how plain they made those quite colourful environments. As for how Sonic Colours now handles it, I still notice the big wide open spaces in the 3D areas which made things quite empty, a bit like Wii Unleashed but obviously much better. I have seen more or less the same acts and stages as you have, so thats my judgement so far too.

The other visual areas overall are simply amazing for a Wii game, and the music is quite beautiful along with catchy (I want my MP3 of Tropical Resort, dammit!). Overall, my thoughts and opinions on this game are much like yours, but I felt like I had to say what I thought too than just say, "My thoughts exactly".

And the wait for this game couldn't be more irritating, but I have some patience lol

Edited by Eth

I don't quite see how that's possible. Speedfreak's math is right, based on everything we've seen; counting normal levels, bosses, and simulator stages, that's 65 "levels".

Let me see.

7 Zones

7 Acts per zone

7 Simulator Zones; 1 per Emerald and 1 per regular zone

3 Acts per Simulator zone

70 acts

7 bosses, 1 per zone

77 stages total.

1 final boss

78 stages total.

The above numbers are calculated based on the assumption that each of the 7 acts shown in stage select, doesn't include a boss, and the bosses are seperate.

However, if the 7 acts do include a boss, then the total would be 71 stages.

Edited by Scar

I've seen a video of Sonic Unleashed Wii and I liked how Chu-Nan looked. As if it had rained or something. Looked nice to me.

Edited by MarcelloF

Let me see.

The above numbers are calculated based on the assumption that each of the 7 acts shown in stage select, doesn't include a boss, and the bosses are seperate.

However, if the 7 acts do include a boss, then the total would be 71 stages.

There are only 6 zones and they have 7 acts including the boss each. 6 x 7 = 42 + the two final levels/boss fights = 44. We know there are exactly 44 "levels" in the story mode because the map screen shows the total S ranks result capped at 44. I don't remember seeing how many Sonic Simulator levels there are but lets assume you're right about 7 zones with 3 acts each. That would make 21 Sonic Simulator levels plus thee 44 regular levels and you still only get 65.

There are only 6 zones and they have 7 acts including the boss each. 6 x 7 = 42 + the two final levels/boss fights = 44. We know there are exactly 44 "levels" in the story mode because the map screen shows the total S ranks result capped at 44. I don't remember seeing how many Sonic Simulator levels there are but lets assume you're right about 7 zones with 3 acts each. That would make 21 Sonic Simulator levels plus thee 44 regular levels and you still only get 65.

6 worlds is not a confirmed number, it's only as many as we know. What doesn't make sense to me also is that there are still two locked areas on the map after Asteroid Coaster, the rainbow star and the tower. With that, there are seven Sonic simulator stages, each stage has three acts, and each act has a unique song for the stage that is a retro-ized version of the respective zone (World 1 has the Tropical Resort songs, World 2 has the Sweet Mountain songs, etc), with each of the story staged having three songs in total and each song being played in 2 of the stages 6 acts.

There is a seventh Sonic Simulator stage, so there would need to be a regular stage to make it's three music tracks, plus we STILL haven't seen Eggman's base stage, the final stage. I honestly believe there is a stage after Asteroid Coaster.

Besides Nintendo Power said that the game story mode has over 40 stages, and they mention boss battles AFTER that as well as Sonic Simulator stages. To have over 40 stages, not including bosses or Sonic Simulator stages, you would need 7 worlds with 6 acts each, which would be 42 stages.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

Well then right now we're only playing the guessing game. We might as well wait until the game comes out. I was only going off of the world map showing that there are 44 total S ranks.