Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

This will be the main topic for all Sonic Colours reviews post all of good & bad reviews in this topic =).

I'm quite interested how the reviews will vary for this game since Sonic 4 been getting mixed reviews lets hope it all good reviews (besides the bias ones we know that they will be shit)

16/10/10

22/10/10

27/10/10

Official Nintendo Magazine Wii & DS Review Scores

and

Edited by Shaddix

I bet Nintendo Power will give it an 8. They've given every single Sonic game for the longest time an 8. :lol: It's funny because when the next game is announced they bitch about the last one to try and make the new game sound better, but then still give the new game an 8. Nintendo Power has a Sonic Cycle of their very own. :lol:

Considering the almost universal positive reception form Sonic 4, and all the praise Sonic Colors has been given up til now, I'm expecting Sonic Colors to get an 8/10-like score a the absolute lowest from all the major popular game sites(IGN, Gamespot, 1UP, etc.).

Its very possible that this game could be higher with everything it contains, but an 8/10 is a fair, safe bet.

If NGamer gave it an 86% in comparison to 50%-ish scores for Unleashed and Black Knight... then by that logic, this should easily get a 90%+ score from ONM (who gave Unleashed/Black Knight scores in the high 70%'s).

Welcome back Sonic.

Does anyone else think that it seems kind of early for the game to be reviewed?

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Does anyone else think that it seems kind of early for the game to be reviewed?

I'm not talking about from a "is the game finished or not" point of view. I'm talking about from "on the public's mindset" point of view. It seems almost counterproductive to have the game reviewed far enough in advance that they could probably have done it in the next issue and have the magazine come out within a few days of the game itself.

I mean, I'm not complaining, but it just seems like an odd decision to make when most reviews tend to come out in the week/week and a half prior to a game's release date.

Edited by Tornado

Some games are reviewed well in advance, the release date is about a month away yes, but but they got their hands on the game and permissions from SEGA to release reviews in this month. Some games get super early reviews and almost in all cases magazines will get reviews out first because they get released and some people get copies super early. It is early, but this isn't unheard of in the least. NGamer also commonly get reviews first since their month issue release first.

Hail to the king, baby.

Sonic is back and furious to kick Mario's a$s

Nah, they're buddies now.

Also you seem to be forgetting what platforms these games are on.

So someone on NeoGAF says Nintendo Power gave the Wii version a 9/10 and they gave the Nintendo DS version a 7.5/10. They finally broke their "give every Sonic game an 8" cycle. :lol:

Could someone really have the magazine early? :blink: If it's true, I'm surprised that the DS version only got a 7.5..

Edited by MarcelloF

Could someone really have the magazine early? :blink: If it's true, I'm surprised that the DS version only got a 7.5..

I'm not. The novelty of the Rush series has worn off and the game doesn't look nearly as innovative as the Wii version. It just looks sort of average. 7.5 is average/good so I think we'll be seeing lots of 7.5s.

To me Colors DS seems like it's held back by having to be a handheld version of a game that was conceived for consoles. If Dimps were allowed to do whatever they wanted (like an actual Rush 3) I think it would have turned out all the better. It still looks pretty good though.

Expect the ONM review in about a week's time. It's due on the 28th but subscribers usually get it a few days early so yeah.

Well I know I shall be heading home from uni that weekend so if no one else has posted info from it by then, I shall be sure to get you all informed :P

I'm predicting 80%+ though. Maybe even a Gold Award if we're lucky.

Oh, Nintendo Power not ONM xD

I though the DS version would get an 8, mainly because most 2D Sonic's do. Oh well, it's probably because the Wii version is so good.

Well I know I shall be heading home from uni that weekend so if no one else has posted info from it by then, I shall be sure to get you all informed :P

I'm predicting 80%+ though. Maybe even a Gold Award if we're lucky.

I think it will probably get a Gold Award from ONM. ONM are generous when it comes to rating recent Sonic titles (none of them have gotten below 75%)

I'm estimating 85% at the lowest, 94% at the absolute highest but I think it will probably get 91 or 92%.

A 9!? Damn!

Also, a 7.5 is still a good score and I'm still getting both versions.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

I figured Colors DS would be overlooked by critics and gamers alike.

Of course I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure, but this one looks to be better in most respects than Rush and Rush Adventure. Wisps, wall kick, greater emphasis on the homing attack, and generally better level design. Plus the soundtrack.

I figured Colors DS would be overlooked by critics and gamers alike.

Of course I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure, but this one looks to be better in most respects than Rush and Rush Adventure. Wisps, wall kick, greater emphasis on the homing attack, and generally better level design. Plus the soundtrack.

All of the extra gameplay features should make it play pretty distinctly from the Rush games, but I can see how the soundtrack might be judged as a negative rather than a positive. Both of the Rush games had very unique soundtracks, and to follow those up with what could be seen as a watered-down version of Colours Wii's soundtrack... I can see how that might be a little disappointing by comparison. I'll need to actually hear it to know, obviously, but that certainly seems possible. There's also the matter of the story changes, as well as Colours DS having a smaller number of levels than the Wii version.

Still, I'm interested to hear the actual rationale behind the grade. We just know so little about Colours DS at this point; I really don't know what to expect from it.

Going through Neo Gaf the reviewer of Sonic Colors spoke out to defend his wording on the game .

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398320&page=30

I wrote the Sonic Colors review for NP, and for what it's worth, I didn't review any of those previous titles. If I had, I probably would have given Sonic and the Secret Rings a 7.0 and Sonic Unleashed a 6.5. (I haven't played through Sonic and the Black Knight yet.) I'm not saying that to throw my colleagues under the bus--reviews are just one person's opinion--but to help folks calibrate where that 9.0 for Sonic Colors is coming from. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and I think you guys are really going to enjoy it.

He said some other stuff too when asked about the Quality of the Game...

I probably shouldn't get into too much detail here, but none of the acts felt like filler to me. Some are a bit on the short side, but as you mention, there are a LOT of them (more than 40, if I remember correctly), so the game certainly doesn't feel like it's hurting for content.

And to answer the question above yours, it's definitely my favorite Sonic game since the 16-bit days. That's largely because it's more of a platformer than any of the games since then.

2 words : GET HYPE!!!!!

Edited by Voyant