Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Just finished the heavenly sword demo, it plays almost exactly like God of War. They just added in a few different stances. The right stick rolling, the light and heavy attacks, the circle button instant kills, it's all the same and it was putting me to sleep.

This guy working on this game from previous DMC games, was he involved in DMC2?

Edited by Phos

This Dante does not look generic. Commander Shepard is generic. Cole from Infamous looks generic(Yes, I favored the new design as well because I am tired of the nearly bald generic white guy look). Altair looks generic. This Dante looks like an emaciated gamer. Pretty original but they should have saved it for a completely different series.

Dante, as portrayed by Edward Cullen. Not particularly original.

I also fail to see how "Heavenly Sword was really alright, guys" (and I agree it was) is a relevant response to the problems people were having with the trailer in this thread. People haven't been raging because this game looks like Heavenly Sword and Heavenly Sword = Bad. People have been raging because this game looks like Heavenly Sword and Heavenly Sword ≠ DMC.

Edited by Tornado

Eh, I don't really like the new look, and prefer the old original look with white hair of coolness. Now he looks like this guy:

Adam+lambert.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, not really digging the new Dante honestly. I'm almost tempted to nickname him DantEmo.

I think I'm more bugged by the shorter hair than anything, really.

Maybe it's more self-insertion. Ninja Theory is based in Cambridge, England.

Oh, it's more than just that, matey...

dantej.jpg

On the left: new Dante. On the right: the director of the new DmC.

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 5

dantej.jpg

That is all.

Ya know, if I wasn't as laid-back and indifferent as I am, I would really hate the design because of that.

Talk about an ego, and there's no doubt that he wanted Dante to resemble him in this game. But whateva.

dantej.jpg

That is all.

God, what a dickhead. Forcing millions of people to change endure a sucky character design simply because he's directing the game, and is based in the UK. Maybe I should change my sig.

This is like what would happen is a couple of fancharacters showed up in a new Sonic game and replaced the main characters, save for Sonic. It's also kind of like The Room, where Tommy Wiseau's character was basically a "Black-Hole Sue" as TV Tropes says.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's also kind of like The Room, where Tommy Wiseau's character was basically a "Black-Hole Sue" as TV Tropes says.

Yeah, the difference there is that Tommy Wiseau is a god among men, whereas this guy fucked with Dante.

I really hope they change his appearance just enough to where it matches up with the original Dante better, if it truly is a prequel. 'cause I don't wanna play as Dante Lambert, aka The Fucking Director.

dantej.jpg

That is all.

His name is Tameem Antoniades (I think =P )

ss_preview_brj_9485.jpg?w=383&h=576

You know you want it :3

Edited by Jetronic

His name is Tameem Antoniades (I think =P )

ss_preview_brj_9485.jpg?w=383&h=576

You know you want it :3

Are you sure it isn't Alan Cummings in disguise? For some reason, not only Dante now looks like The Director and Adam Lambert, now I'm sensing a hint of Alan Cummings as well. *Flashbacks of Son of the Mask emerges "Urge to kill rising...."

alan-cummings-wi05.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Now that it has been re-affirm that this is a self-insertion(I bet it wasn't his idea), then my expectations have definitely been lowered for this game. And I'm a huge DMC fan.

This is like what would happen is a couple of fancharacters showed up in a new Sonic game and replaced the main characters, save for Sonic.

No, actually this is nothing like that. Something like that would be twice as drastic, and is even worse than painting the character with a new coat.

This is (supposedly) the same Dante we've always known personality-wise, much younger than he was in DMC3. He hasn't been replaced other than the way he looks, and for all we know there's a chance he'll transform into the good old Dante we all know by appearance in the game.

Now that it has been re-affirm that this is a self-insertion(I bet it wasn't his idea), then my expectations have definitely been lowered for this game. And I'm a huge DMC fan.

You and me both, brotha. However, I wouldn't be so rash as to lower your expectations just yet. There's still a lot more to learn before we can gauge any sort of judgement.

Right now:

New look + looks like the director = caution of the atmosphere at the most. With the apperance aside, Dante is still badass in terms of his actions. I mean a cigarette to a demon's face and dropping it hard on the ground, fist-fighting in the air before proceeding with sword fighting. He has the recipe for the old Dante we know about from the moves alone.

Look at it this way, if this was the old Dante doing the exact same stuff this new one is doing, from the prison scene to the fighting, we wouldn't be downing him in the slightest. We would say "OMG that was badass" like we would always do for a character we know and love, or we would be worrying about him during the prison scene parts saying "OMG what's happening to Dante? Did he get captured by the gov't or something?"

The new look is something to be worried about (even tho I'm not all that concerned with it in general), but we can't let that cloud our eyes to everything else.

Its not that. If I were developing a game of series that wasn't of my creation, I wouldn't put my being in there. In fact, I would reference the old games or even call up the creator(which isn't possible with DMC since he isn't fond of the sequels or prequels). If the developer is so willing to drastically change the main character of the series, then what else would do? Unlike Cole McGrath, there was nothing wrong with Dante's designs. Sure, I see the gameplay, but there is a difference between Dante and everyother melee beat em up character. Dante has style and flash and a mouth. I'm saying if Dante ain't talking shit in the next preview of the game, I am not calling this DMC and I won't acknowledge it as such. I might play it, but that is another story. This is coming from a fan of DMC and a guy who likes Ninja Theory.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

My friend and I were just talking about this game and he said that the only way Capcom can save this game is if they pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 and only have young(er) Dante playable just at the beginning and then LOL INCOMPREHENSIBLE AMOUNT OF YEARS LATER and then regular Dante shows up.

Edited by Chooch

Its not that. If I were developing a game of series that wasn't of my creation, I wouldn't put my being in there. In fact, I would reference the old games or even call up the creator(which isn't possible with DMC since he isn't fond of the sequels or prequels).

Yeah, that is pretty lame about the change. I wonder if that actually sat well with some of other folks at Capcom?

Dante has style and flash and a mouth. I'm saying if Dante ain't talking shit in the next preview of the game, I am not calling this DMC and I won't acknowledge it as such. I might play it, but that is another story. This is coming from a fan of DMC and a guy who likes Ninja Theory.

If Dante ain't talking shit in the next preview, we might as well call it a repeat of DMC2 in terms of his character. But I am going to personally act like the chances of that happening is slim until proven wrong.

DMC 2...

Suddenly, Dante decides everything he does should be decided by the flip of a coin, and don't ask why!

And they copied all the bosses from Shinobi PS2, only it doesn't control as well.

DMC 2...

Suddenly, Dante decides everything he does should be decided by the flip of a coin, and don't ask why!

That was kinda pointless considering that the coin was double sided the whole time.

DMC 2...

And they copied all the bosses from Shinobi PS2, only it doesn't control as well.

I am quite thankful that I never played DMC2. I've seen some gameplay...who in the blue hell is the black chick with red hair? She plays horrible.

I remember when people used to compain about Nero when we first saw him....boy did he make you love him.

*Nero pummeling the shit out of an old man's stomach*

Nero(staring down the bastard as he pleads him to stop): I'm sick of your bullshit.

*Shoryken*

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when people used to compain about Nero when we first saw him....boy did he make you love him.

*Nero pummeling the shit out of an old man's stomach*

Nero(staring down the bastard as he pleads him to stop): I'm sick of your bullshit.

*Shoryken*

...wow. This guy shouldn't be making the game then if he doesn't care.

And here I was lukewarm at the new Dante at first, but I'm gonna still wait and see what's in store before writing the game off.

I've heard people mention that Dante in the trailers is still acting like Dante, but I'd contend that he really isn't. The stabbing the cigarette out business seems much more caustic than Dante usually behaves, and doesn't really show off. That's really the closest he comes to showing off.

And I warmed to Nero so quickly because he played a lot like Devil May Cry 1 Dante with new stuff. And because revolvers are cooler than automatics. His reactions to most situations were also exaggerated versions of my own, but for different reasons. When Nero acted dejected after being beaten by Dante, I was annoyed because I had just beaten him and then the script decides that I didn't actually. When he throws a tantrum after Damsel Lady is kidnapped by the evil Super Pope after he just got so close to rescuing her, I was irritated at the manufactured drama of the situation.

I read in magazine last night, that Ninja Theory said Dante would be shown getting older in this game, so it's possible that by the end he'll be the normal Dante.

Though, even if he doesn't look like it, I wouldn't mind an origin story of him when he was a bitchy teenager maturing to what he is now. As in he gets a bit more light-hearted more jocular etc.

I read in magazine last night, that Ninja Theory said Dante would be shown getting older in this game, so it's possible that by the end he'll be the normal Dante.

Though, even if he doesn't look like it, I wouldn't mind an origin story of him when he was a bitchy teenager maturing to what he is now. As in he gets a bit more light-hearted more jocular etc.

What the fuck is DMC3 then if not an origin story? Everybody knows who Dante is and it is no mystery. Nero? Yes. Dante? That ship has sailed, set ashore, and rested.

I agree with most of that article in regards of Cole McGrath and Sonic the Hedgehog. I usually say, "Fuck the fans and their bitching and just make a fun game" in that regard. However, this is different. Dante don't look, act, or behave like Dante. This whole situation is superflous and a waste of time since we do not need another damn origin story unless they are finally showing Sparda(which would redeem this game) or his wife. There was no reason to change him that drastically. Seriously, just show me a preview that has him talking so much shit and I will overlook this crap.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing new as of yet, but I found something interesting that I think you guys might be interested in reading.

Jim Sterling in the article says that the fans made the Dante worse in their attempt to "fix" him to fit with how they remember him. I can't help but think that this one actually looks much better than the one we're actually getting.

This one still maintains the black hair, but adds a tinge of white to the crown of his hair. To me, the image really resembles the old Dante even with the black hair. Overall, it just goes to show how some fans take these kind of things to heart, ya know? Although to pin this on the whole fanbase would be a bit exaggerating it, if I'm going by a lot of the comments below.

Then again, you guys may not find it any better than the current one either, but hey I never really spoke much for anyone other than myself. Let the RAEG ensue...

What the fuck is DMC3 then if not an origin story? Everybody knows who Dante is and it is no mystery. Nero? Yes. Dante? That ship has sailed, set ashore, and rested.

An "orgin to an orgin" story? The series actual alpha before reaching the omega?

Eh, I tried.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic