Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Curious, but how big were delays in the past?

The Sonic Comic Encyclopedia was delayed by about two years before it came out.

The Sonic Comic Encyclopedia was delayed by about two years before it came out.

Thanks for reply, and goodness that's a bit long. o_O Glad it eventually did come out...even though the events that later happened (issue #252) probably made it pointless to make...a tad bit. 

Does the encyclopedia apply for the comic now? 

The comic underwent a reboot recently. So no. The encyclopedia is now outdated.

I think lawsuit aside, it was a good year.  The crossover was what really makes for it being a good year, since it was so awesome to read.  It was better then the year before I'd say.

It was okay year for the comic. The crossover was nice, but having to go through a reboot because of him still makes it suck a bit. Overall, it was still okay, but with one big mark that does effect it in my eyes a little bit.

So yeah how did you guys feel 2013 was for the comics?

Like most people, the whole legal mess screwed up everything with the comic. Yes, Archie sued Penders first (in response to him filing those copyrights and starting his little crusade in the first place), but things got dragged out to an unbelievably stupid degree and the only ones that really got screwed over in the end are the creative team and, more importantly, the readers. I think I'll be able to deal with the reboot just fine, but I'm not happy that this was the only solution Archie could find (and that's more on their legal team telling them to start axing those characters and distancing the book from them).

Then there's "Worlds Collide," which I didn't really read much of because the novelty of the crossover wore off well before the story dropped for me. So I can't speak about it too much other than reading the beginning and ending issues (I'll either pick up the trades or grab it digitally in a couple months). For the most part though, it was four months I hardly read anything other than older stories or other books anyway.

I do feel like "Countdown to Chaos" is a bright spot post-crossover and everything else, though that doesn't mean the behind the scenes nonsense doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Looking forward to what this year brings though; looks like there will still be plenty of interesting ground to cover in this new universe.

Like most people, the whole legal mess screwed up everything with the comic. Yes, Archie sued Penders first (in response to him filing those copyrights and starting his little crusade in the first place), but things got dragged out to an unbelievably stupid degree and the only ones that really got screwed over in the end are the creative team and, more importantly, the readers. I think I'll be able to deal with the reboot just fine, but I'm not happy that this was the only solution Archie could find (and that's more on their legal team telling them to start axing those characters and distancing the book from them).

Then there's "Worlds Collide," which I didn't really read much of because the novelty of the crossover wore off well before the story dropped for me. So I can't speak about it too much other than reading the beginning and ending issues (I'll either pick up the trades or grab it digitally in a couple months). For the most part though, it was four months I hardly read anything other than older stories or other books anyway.

I do feel like "Countdown to Chaos" is a bright spot post-crossover and everything else, though that doesn't mean the behind the scenes nonsense doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Looking forward to what this year brings though; looks like there will still be plenty of interesting ground to cover in this new universe.

That's not what I recall happening. I was pretty sure Archie counter sued after Penders sued first.

That's not what I recall happening. I was pretty sure Archie counter sued after Penders sued first.

Ken claimed copyright laws for his characters and stories without Archie/SEGA knowing

Best part of the year was definitely the crossover, all of the legal crap with Penders and messing up what was one of my anticipated arcs(Endangered Species) really soured my mood, the crossover helped fix that. Kind of a shame of the fallout tho.

Might as well go through it point by point;

All For One; Great stuff, although more for the interaction. Not so much character progression for the trio as it was more about Mighty and Ray. 

Endangered Species; Shit hitting the fan was morbidly hilarious, as well as a shame. So many plots teased for the arc, and they all went kaputt. And that turned out to be the start of it.

Forged in Fire; It...happened? I dunno, it came a bit out of the blue for me. 

At All Costs Part 1; It was okay. Felt like a bit of drifting though, but I think it was because at this point the fate of the old reality was sealed...

When Worlds Collide; It was also okay. Had some pacing issues at times (especially rushing through the Roboticized Master), but tried to fit in what it had and we got some good moments out of it (bias in full show here given that the capture for my faves wasn't gimped and they got more action later).

Pirate Plunder Panic; I didn't really enjoy this arc that much. It just wasn't my thing.

At All Costs Part 2/Countdown To Chaos; Well now, this is actually rather interesting. Enjoying it so far aside from the last issue being a bit weak. Excited to see where it goes.

But yeah, we can't avoid the elephant in the room. That lawsuit has drastically changed the course for the comic. It seems most of the old characters are gone, if we go by what we've seen, and the world has rebooted so that they can be dropped without so much red tape to explain it. I'd imagine that the reboot technically wasn't the only course of action, but given that Archie were looking to grab the general audience and not just the comic readership, they probably felt that a near-enough fresh start was the best way to go about it. Sure, I may have lost a few comic faves of mine (although Valdez and Trey were already dead, Liza was basically nothing to begin with and Tex got to prove himself outspinning Sonic before he got offed which is impressive. The only big losses were some of the Echidnas that I had a soft spot for, namely Dimitri and Remington), but the new direction is already ramping things up and pulling its weight. And hey, hopefully that stupid Charmy sub-plot is gone for good.

What Charmy subplot?

The fact he only acted six because he was an adult with brain damage. Now he can truly be six and not have it be uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 4

What Charmy subplot?

I think she's referring to how Charmy suffered from brain damage in Eggman's Egg Grapes in #176 which, incidentally, put him more in line with his current SEGA personality.

Personally, I'll be happy if stupid stuff like how Sonic's eyes turned green or how Amy suddenly grew up with the magic ring (all Sonic Adventure era stuff) is dead and buried.

EDIT: Oops, VEDJ-F beat me to it.

Edited by Zaysho

The fact he only acted six because he was an adult with brain damage. Now he can truly be six and not have it be uncomfortable.

Whoa....maybe I shouldnt have asked

I sort of liked that Charmy was originally a bit more mature than he was, since the game version is obviously not a mega favorite of mine due to that attitude and such he has, aka random as all heck. (That personality trait annoys me alot)

Obviously though, it will be permanent now, since also his wife will have been erased due to you know who of course.

Well here's my thoughts

To me for a 20th anniversary it didn't start of well. Endangered species and chaotix quest were 2 arcs that had last minute changes. While the chaotix arc changes were minor and didnt really affect the story they were still noticeable Rob O Hedge and Mari-An(?) we're replaced by Bow and Thorn(which was pointed out so ill give them credict for that) and the D.E.L. didn't cover themselves and its one of my favorite SU arcs. Endangered species got the short end of the stick I enjoyed it and for something made at the last minute it worked(also a blessing that they established that the krudzu was in the ocean.) what I didn't like was the ending that was an ass pull. SU 50 was an awesome issue although I am a bit disappointed about the sonic underground finale not being their atleast I got something just as enjoyable so it's all good 247 was worse because due to the changes. Oh and I forgot about the mobius thing but who cares

Then it got much better with worlds collide. No lawsuits. No mandates ruining anything it was just 12 issues of fun. Thank goodness Capcom gave the idea for the crossover(the one good thing theyve done with mega man besides smash 4) because the sonic comics would of been crap for four full months. There were a few flaws like the robotizes masters went down as fast as the deadly six a problem Ian has with mega man. I really loved this arc because I had nothing to worry about just 2 gaming icons together, good character moments, lots of fan service, decent paced and the bromance between Wily/Eggman and the best part is its canon and has a lasting effect how many crossovers do you know that does this?(seriously please tell me i want to know)if this was a game or OVA(like Pokemon origins) I'd totally buy it. It probably the best crossover sonic(and probably mega man) have ever had which probably isn't saying much *looks at past sonic crossovers*

And now with the aftermath. The continuity has been rebooted(sort of) and I'm enjoying it so far.

Pirate Plundar Panic. Ill admit I don't really like this arc that much because it just felt bland. The only thing that happened was blaze got the last sol emerald and became burning blaze and the wily egg was in her world which is kinda cool. Most importantly parts of the old continuity is still there

Nu52 since that's what we're calling it now. Ill admit I was bit skeptical about this but after reading it I'm interested in it. It has mostly game elements with a hint of SatAM with a lot of originality. And so far the best part is that panel with king max trusting classic eggman because that seems more believable than the panel with the old continuity

As for the lawsuit I don't know what I can say without sounding like a broken record. I think I've talked about this to death and I just want the Lara su chronicles to come out just to see this blow up in Ken's face. If its a success good for him if not I hope he has a back up plan

In the end 2013 was a year filled with un expected changes due to mandates, legal bruhaha's and trying to keep new readers to stay. It was like a Rollercoster up and down and all around. I liked it better than 2012(which i think what was what started it) but that's just me . Shadow Fall is out in stores today and I'm gonna buy it this week. I hope 2014 and ownwards will be good for the comic(and franchise)

...I can't believe I just typed that

I don't get it. People were supposed to get Sonic #256 on the comic app today, what happened?

It wasn't uploaded on the app store because it's new years day! It'll be uploaded tomorrow hopefully.