Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well, I guess it's official: Archie Sonic is ruined now. Everything I liked about the comic has been thrown away and replaced with something that will never be as good as the original. I can't even enjoy the back issues anymore, because the world they're set in is gone forever...

Really?! Come on now, it's not that bad. In fact if anything it gives them incentive to create a whole new set of comic only baddies and goodies to fill the void. And Ian has pretty much said he's hard at work doing just that. Also they will be more in line with the actual game aesthetic and design as per the new Freedom Fighters. At least we still have a comic to read with stuff outside of and more in depth than the games.

I know its all down to personal opinion and you and everyone else are welcome to their own. But personally myself 95% of Penders stuff that's been cut was overly dramatic rubbish anyway, and although part of me will miss what little I did like of his, this new universe and what could come with it is far more exciting than anything Penders ever cooked up when he was writing the characters he introduced.

You came to know and enjoy whatever it was that got cut that you liked, they didn't always exist in the comic from day one (unless you joined rather later on in the 30's-40's with St John etc). So how do you know you won't like or get attached to some of the new characters that end up appearing. Or the new arcs they come up with. Unless you force yourself to dislike them purely because they aren't the old universe stuff. There's a wide open field of possibilities ahead basically, stick around and explore :)

• Thumbs Up 1

It should be noted that Pender's was one of several people who added stuff in this comic before it was cut. So aside from what he did there's no telling all of what's been kept from the old verse or thrown away.

All we really know is that Pender's echindas (and other stuff, but mostly the echidnas) are gone. Lien-Da and Enerjaks were the few that I actually cared enough to want to keep. But if we can get the Nocturnus, then I'll can live with their loss that much better.

That said, it looks likely that the non-Penders, non-Ian Archie exclusives got hit just as hard with the shenanigans as the Penders cast.

All we really know is that Pender's echindas (and other stuff, but mostly the echidnas) are gone. Lien-Da and Enerjaks were the few that I actually cared enough to want to keep. But if we can get the Nocturnus, then I'll can live with their loss that much better.

Spose that all depends on the outcome of the vs EA/Sega crap he's trying to pull now. Even tho he got told he wouldn't get nothing from the case even if he won, probably why it's gone dark lately. You would think it would be open and shut considering the whole there were other Echidnas before he came along thing (even cyborg advanced tech ones) but we all thought the main case would be open and shut too.

Your right tho, seeing the Nocturnus in the comics would fill the void some have, while others are fine with Knux being the only one save for Tikal's ghost. As for the ones that won't accept anything that isn't what they have lost, they can't really be helped. Unless they decide to follow Penders work, if it gets released, which as even Ian put it is now non-Sonic material.

Thinking on it, I wouldn't mind a Chronicles adaptation and a follow up. That cliffhanger ending was a real nice touch that never got resolved :(

That said, it looks likely that the non-Penders, non-Ian Archie exclusives got hit just as hard with the shenanigans as the Penders cast.

Well, if that's true then damn...I liked many characters from the Dragon Kingdom.

Hate to ask, but what else got purged that can't be used again?

This is looking less like a soft reboot and looking more like a hard one.

Hate to ask, but what else got purged that can't be used again?

This is looking less like a soft reboot and looking more like a hard one.

Okay, for this, I'm going to go from the top because otherwise it might be a mess.

-Penders stuff; Cut. We're pretty much all on the same page about that. No need to contest that.

-Stuff from other writers that aren't Ian; This one is less certain, but we've seen signs that there's been a purge there as well. Firstly, none have turned up in the new reality thus far. This seems like a non-thing since we're so early into the exploration of the new reality, but bear in mind that we've already seen Lord Hood re-established (and he re-established Bow and co in turn), so it's not a stretch to expect to see that sort of minor establishing reference for other non-Ian concepts...except there haven't been any. 

Secondly, and one that kind of gets overlooked, is what Ian says on it, or more precisely what he can't. In the Sonic Lost World charity stream, he was asked about what involvement characters he and Penders didn't write would have. He said that he wasn't allowed to comment on it. Not in the sense that it'd spoil anything, he's simply not allowed to speak on it legally. Why would that be if there wasn't something going on with them?

-Ian's stuff; It's the safest classification of them all, but still not entirely immune. While Lord Hood and his enemies stayed, Diesel appears to have gotten the axe (Ahklut was mistaken for cut, he apparently merely got reassigned). No doubt the M:XYL stuff he created is gone (he went as far as changing a robot's name to make sure nobody thought it was a reference to M:XYL because it's off limits) and anything remotely tied to it (bye Edmund from Silver's old future!). It's not been said, but I'd imagine the Bride of Constant Vigil would be offed because of the family mandate, which would be furled by the fact that the Dragon Kingdom lore she's tied to is pretty much gone now.

-A fourth category?; There is an obtuse option in this though. Not all creators for the Sonic comic have stopped working for Archie, thus there is a possibility that stuff they did could be spared assuming that they were made to retroactively consent on their characters being Archie property. This is likely why NICOLE's holographic form still resembles her older look a lot; Tania Del Ray, the one who designed NICOLE's Mobian form, is still on the team. This doesn't apply to that many characters, but there's still an odd few like the Nerbs and Larry Lynx. Not saying that they will be spared, it's just a possibility.

I think I've covered everything for now.

I always thought that this kind of "fresh start"/Reboot would have been a good point for the games to start to join into the comics but no i suppose that will never happen, then again i don't even know if that would be a good move anyway.

Good riddance. That rubbish was clogging this comic's arteries something awful.

I can agree with this. I won't miss the X years later stuff just felt out of place, the echidna stuff started off interesting then got worse to the point when it wasn't about knuckles it was about something else that wasn't relevant to anything(although enerjak reborn was good), ill be honest and ill say ill only miss at most 10 of the characters we won't see again and there's the romance which only works very few times( bunnie and Antoine most of the time)

Hmmm, I can think of only one non-sega character I really hope will return, and thats Mammoth Mogul because I think he could still create some very interesting scenarios

(admittedly pretty Sure Mighty, Ray and Nack are coming back, the question is when :( )

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of, where does Mammoth Mogul fit in this current predicament? Is there even the slightest possibility that he'll show up again any time soon?

• Thumbs Up 1

Really?! Come on now, it's not that bad. In fact if anything it gives them incentive to create a whole new set of comic only baddies and goodies to fill the void. And Ian has pretty much said he's hard at work doing just that. Also they will be more in line with the actual game aesthetic and design as per the new Freedom Fighters. At least we still have a comic to read with stuff outside of and more in depth than the games.

I know its all down to personal opinion and you and everyone else are welcome to their own. But personally myself 95% of Penders stuff that's been cut was overly dramatic rubbish anyway, and although part of me will miss what little I did like of his, this new universe and what could come with it is far more exciting than anything Penders ever cooked up when he was writing the characters he introduced.

You came to know and enjoy whatever it was that got cut that you liked, they didn't always exist in the comic from day one (unless you joined rather later on in the 30's-40's with St John etc). So how do you know you won't like or get attached to some of the new characters that end up appearing. Or the new arcs they come up with. Unless you force yourself to dislike them purely because they aren't the old universe stuff. There's a wide open field of possibilities ahead basically, stick around and explore smile.png

Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a brand new world to explore free of overclogged continuity and many new directions for the stories to go.

Good riddance. That rubbish was clogging this comic's arteries something awful.

You could be a little more polite about that you know? I'm sure some people liked that stuff and I liked stuff here and there. No need to say it that way of course, even if you don't like it.

I'm just still wanting to see what is and isn't around honestly. I can get over some of the things of course, but you guys already know how I feel about that family mandate crap, since I don't think it is a good idea at all. Just cutting characters because they are relatives just comes off as quite mean and as I said before, not wanting your characters to have any sort of interesting past other than, oh they are an orphan.

You came to know and enjoy whatever it was that got cut that you liked, they didn't always exist in the comic from day one (unless you joined rather later on in the 30's-40's with St John etc). So how do you know you won't like or get attached to some of the new characters that end up appearing. Or the new arcs they come up with. Unless you force yourself to dislike them purely because they aren't the old universe stuff. There's a wide open field of possibilities ahead basically, stick around and explore smile.png

I guess you have a point, but I don't want to get my hopes up in case I get disappointed. If I do end up liking the new canon though, would I still be able to hold onto the original?

I guess you have a point, but I don't want to get my hopes up in case I get disappointed. If I do end up liking the new canon though, would I still be able to hold onto the original?

I can understand how you feel. This is one of the reasons why people dislike both soft and hard reboots because it can make you feel like what is the point of everything that is before it if it doesn't matter anymore. You know I'm not too pleased with this still, but I'm at least trying to see what all is going on first before I can give a full yes or no to this universe. I have my one big dislike in the family mandate, but I have to see with the other stuff. I don't know how I feel yet, since it hasn't been a year yet.

Speaking of, where does Mammoth Mogul fit in this current predicament? Is there even the slightest possibility that he'll show up again any time soon?

Bollers made him(I think), doesnt he still work with the comic from time to time?

Just a tick, Penders make Enerjak?  That's a real shame right there.  That new design he had was so boss.

Just a tick, Penders make Enerjak?  That's a real shame right there.  That new design he had was so boss.

Yeah, that was always the interesting thing for me, Bollers actualy made Finetivus(well I know for sure it wasnt penders), but it was Penders who created enerjak

You could be a little more polite about that you know? I'm sure some people liked that stuff and I liked stuff here and there. No need to say it that way of course, even if you don't like it.

Toby's been against the old!universe since he came here, allways wanted a full blown reboot. best just to ignore him if you don't fully agree with him.

Okay, for this, I'm going to go from the top because otherwise it might be a mess.

-Penders stuff; Cut. We're pretty much all on the same page about that. No need to contest that.

-Stuff from other writers that aren't Ian; This one is less certain, but we've seen signs that there's been a purge there as well. Firstly, none have turned up in the new reality thus far. This seems like a non-thing since we're so early into the exploration of the new reality, but bear in mind that we've already seen Lord Hood re-established (and he re-established Bow and co in turn), so it's not a stretch to expect to see that sort of minor establishing reference for other non-Ian concepts...except there haven't been any. 

Secondly, and one that kind of gets overlooked, is what Ian says on it, or more precisely what he can't. In the Sonic Lost World charity stream, he was asked about what involvement characters he and Penders didn't write would have. He said that he wasn't allowed to comment on it. Not in the sense that it'd spoil anything, he's simply not allowed to speak on it legally. Why would that be if there wasn't something going on with them?

-Ian's stuff; It's the safest classification of them all, but still not entirely immune. While Lord Hood and his enemies stayed, Diesel appears to have gotten the axe (Ahklut was mistaken for cut, he apparently merely got reassigned). No doubt the M:XYL stuff he created is gone (he went as far as changing a robot's name to make sure nobody thought it was a reference to M:XYL because it's off limits) and anything remotely tied to it (bye Edmund from Silver's old future!). It's not been said, but I'd imagine the Bride of Constant Vigil would be offed because of the family mandate, which would be furled by the fact that the Dragon Kingdom lore she's tied to is pretty much gone now.

-A fourth category?; There is an obtuse option in this though. Not all creators for the Sonic comic have stopped working for Archie, thus there is a possibility that stuff they did could be spared assuming that they were made to retroactively consent on their characters being Archie property. This is likely why NICOLE's holographic form still resembles her older look a lot; Tania Del Ray, the one who designed NICOLE's Mobian form, is still on the team. This doesn't apply to that many characters, but there's still an odd few like the Nerbs and Larry Lynx. Not saying that they will be spared, it's just a possibility.

I think I've covered everything for now.

Just doesn't make sense to me, why axe something that has nothing to do with either the SEGA mandates or the Penders bullshit? unless Ian lying through his teeth, which could be a possible factor too.

Enerjak is probably the only Penders character I will miss to be honest. He was a very good villain. Knowing Ian will have big bads up his sleeve tho placated that feeling of loss almost instantly tho.

Rob'O, Archemedes, Feist, Kodos and Uma I didn't mind and found interesting, but can totally live without. But beyond those few I really didn't care for any of his characters. I'm more looking forward to who they can come up with to replace the voids some of the more important ones to the story leave open.

I guess we will have to see how he takes all this then. More bad guys are fine of course, though I often prefer to focus on the heroes and neutrals of course more, but that's my preference =P

I'm sure you could create similar character to enerjak and other villains anyway. Many villains often go with similar stereotypes to begin with, so it isn't that unheard of to get new villains that are similar to other ones but can look and act just slightly different after all. When it comes to the people from the east, most of them were ok to me, but if most aren't there, its okay. I would definitely miss Espio's mom though, since Espio is a favorite character of mine that I like to focus on after all.

I'm kinda gonna miss Geoffrey actually. I mean, if this happened before the King Naugus storyline, I would've been in full support of offing that asshole skunk, but I thought his story was actually starting to get interesting.

I'll also greatly miss Fiest 'cos, ya know, panda god.

Quick question: how would you guys feel if the colors writers wrote a sonic universe arc?

Quick question: how would you guys feel if the colors writers wrote a sonic universe arc?

ech, would proably end up shallow and boring with cliched writing, and nobody other than Sonic tails and Eggman involved

If they were stuck with game parameters at least, on the other hand, if they were given a handful of characters from the comic, and classic games, like Mighty, Ray, or Nack, and other characters, I would be interested to see what they ended up with

• Thumbs Up 1