Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'd never thought any machination of Sally would be in my top 5.

Adding to the recent cover previews, we also have the cover for Knuckles Archives #3:

ka3.600.jpg

SONIC PRESENTS KNUCKLES THE ECHIDNA ARCHIVES #3

The epic adventure of Sonic’s original “friendly nemesis" continues in the next exciting installment of the Knuckles Archives series! Knuckles and the Chaotix find themselves divided across the world! Knuckles is summoned by the mysterious Athair to help the weary Lost Tribe finish their age-old exodus. But when the Days of Fury threaten to tear Mobius apart, can Knuckles save them all? Collecting Knuckles the Echidna #10-15!

Script & Art: Various

Cover: Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante

978-1-936975-17-4

$9.99/$10.99CAN

5 x 7 3/8”

Trade Paperback

160 pp

Direct Market On-sale: 9/12

Really liking this cover! Love the reference to Knuckles Chaotix with the rings and how spot on the Chaotix look to their original game artwork. :)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Well, if #236 is to go by, Sonic is through pulling his punches for her and isn't going to swayed by the mind game schtick should they eventually fight again.

I think what he ment is he will fight her not stand in a corner like a coward like the last few times right now there having a metal sonic vs. sonic rivalry type of fights, but I don't see him having the heart to do what it takes to permanently stopping her should it come down to that. They have too much history with one another...

chaoscontrol14, where did you find that?

I originally discovered it on Amazon, but this particular image is from Archie's official preview that was posted at Bumbleking.

Received #237 today. Hate the cover. One of the worst in recent memory. Have to say I enjoyed the back story a little more than the main story. Although, I was a little surprised to see such a turnaround by

Mina towards Nicole so soon. I thought they'd drag that out a little longer. Also, I never noticed before, but I really like Mina's current design.

On a personal note... I was shocked to discover recently (and that I actually took the time to count) that after about 16 years of collecting, starting with issue #37 that I purchased on a vacation trip, I now have roughly four hundred issues of Archie Sonic The Hedgehog related comics. I don't think I've spent more money or time on ANYTHING entertainment related. I'm still missing quite a few issues from #1-30, but I haven't missed much since my first issue.

1211808_ful.jpg

Silver looks goofy with his chest fur showing. Now I have to wonder if his fur showing through the suit is a Sega mandate.

1211808_ful.jpg

Silver looks goofy with his chest fur showing. Now I have to wonder if his fur showing through the suit is a Sega mandate.

It's specifically from his race suit in the Sonic Rivals series.

Silver%27s_Race_Suit.png

Not so much a "mandate" than it is directly from another source.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's specifically from his race suit in the Sonic Rivals series.

Silver%27s_Race_Suit.png

Not so much a "mandate" than it is directly from another source.

Thanks. I've never played the Sonic Rivals games, so this is my first time seeing this look for Silver. I still think that the chest fur looks goofy however. Edited by Vampfox

Of course, regarding Mecha Sally and what have you, the age-old problem that plagues most US comics once again rears its head; namely that, when all is said and done, everything will have to wind up pretty much the same as it always is, has been and forever shall be, because the comic is ultimately progressing toward no overarcing 'end' due to the fact that it's written with the intent to last indefinitely. Nobody can ever truly win or lose. It just has to be an endless back-and-forth power struggle that can never have anything more than a temporary resolution until it rears its head again in a slightly different shape and form.

I'm not saying they can't be enjoyable, but at the same time it takes the edge off a bit knowing that the series is ultimately going nowhere in the long term. Yeah, theoretically they could probably destroy Mecha Sally pretty easily, except then Sally would basically be dead. And they can't kill anyone other than absolute minor characters off, because that'd be too big and permanent a change.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ian certainly seems to be aiming for that, though. Remember that this is not just an American comic, it's a licenced product- other than the SEGA cast, the rest of the characters and the status quo are actually some of the shakiest I've seen, if only because one day SEGA can wake up and say "time we let SatAM go".

Ian certainly seems to be aiming for that, though. Remember that this is not just an American comic, it's a licenced product- other than the SEGA cast, the rest of the characters and the status quo are actually some of the shakiest I've seen, if only because one day SEGA can wake up and say "time we let SatAM go".

I hardly doubt they're ever going to let the SatAM go because for one, that cast has a large following. Would cause some major backlash of some degree if they did that. And second, this comic serves the blend all of that into one continuity; this isn't suppose to be 100% the same as the Game canon or even 60-70-80% of it and the folks at Sega damn well know that well enough that they've allowed the non-Sega cast to hang around for practically 2 decades and they had plenty of time to get rid of them within that period.

Honestly, this shake of the status quo is practically more of a move to bring in newer elements and keep the comic from potentially stagnating that it is to bring it closer to the Game canon before completely doing away with everything unrelated to it.

And really, what the hell is up with the perception that Sega is going to rid of the SatAM cast lately? It's like that sentiment has just been growing and growing out of a distaste for how much it's unlike the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

It gets harder to fight her. Hate to say this but they need someone like Shadow, he has already proven that he will throw away any sort of emotion he has for somebody in order to complete a mission. Her mind games wouldn't work on him.

Actually it seems like a fight between Shadow and Metal Sally could be on its way due to something Eggman mentioned at the end of SU #40:

Mentioning that he would make his legions single Hope out now that he knows that shes with G.U.N.

And I highly doubt that Shadow would allow something like that to happen

Actually it seems like a fight between Shadow and Metal Sally could be on its way due to something Eggman mentioned at the end of SU #40:

Mentioning that he would make his legions single Hope out now that he knows that shes with G.U.N.

And I highly doubt that Shadow would allow something like that to happen

Knowing Ian's writing style that's most likely him setting up future storylines that he won't be getting to for awhile. I wouldn't take it to mean that Shadow is going to fight Mecha Sally.

I was wondering, are we allowed to discuss old issues in this thread? Moreover, are we allowed to discuss the miniseries and Knuckles here? I'm reading from scratch, I am on issue #71 now, when Sonic gets his Adventure look.

Absolutely, go right ahead. You usually only see discussion of new issues because...welll, they're new.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really interesting because I first read during the Genesis saga, it's what got me interested in starting from the beginning, and it's so different! Like, the maturity level of the stories in the beginning were so slapstick and punny, one pun after another, and then, they switch gears 20 issues in... One complaint I have is when they introduce characters and then they add little * boxes with stuff like: "If you wanna see more of bla bla bla, write to us!"

It's cheesy, but I like it... It seems to get better and better. I think everyone should try to read it all. but try to do it with no bias from the SEGA universe.

Edited by tenchibr

It's really interesting because I first read during the Genesis saga, it's what got me interested in starting from the beginning, and it's so different! Like, the maturity level of the stories in the beginning were so slapstick and punny, one pun after another, and then, they switch gears 20 issues in... One complaint I have is when they introduce characters and then they add little * boxes with stuff like: "If you wanna see more of bla bla bla, write to us!"

It's cheesy, but I like it... It seems to get better and better. I think everyone should try to read it all. but try to do it with no bias from the SEGA universe.

Wow man, not gonna blow anything for ya but just wait until you get to the Pender's shit. its like the STH2006 of the Comics! only instead of being like ripping off a band-aid like how 2006 was, its like a slow, torturous, painful burn and doesn't get any better until around #160.

Have fun! :)

Wow man, not gonna blow anything for ya but just wait until you get to the Pender's shit. its like the STH2006 of the Comics! only instead of being like ripping off a band-aid like how 2006 was, its like a slow, torturous, painful burn and doesn't get any better until around #160.

Have fun! smile.png

<----Has never read any of Archie Sonic's Comics

<----Is thinking right now: "Is Penders' part really that bad?"

<----Thinks to the photos of "his characters" for his Graphic Novel

<----Face Right now: -_-

<----Has never read any of Archie Sonic's Comics

<----Is thinking right now: "Is Penders' part really that bad?"

<----Thinks to the photos of "his characters" for his Graphic Novel

<----Face Right now: -_-

He tried to make Rotor gay, its lucky SEGA nipped that in the bud. but thats just tip of the shit iceberg that lunatic was allowed to do under his tenure. we comic fans still get mocked by non-readers over some of the crap he did! (gee, doesn't that sound familiar?!...)

Glad and very thankful we have Ian now who fixed most of Pender's mess and injected awesome into this comic again.

He tried to make Rotor gay, its lucky SEGA nipped that in the bud.

Um, they didn't. SEGA were happy to let Rotor be gay as long as it was kept relatively quiet. It was Ian who overrode Penders on that.

He tried to make Rotor gay, its lucky SEGA nipped that in the bud. but thats just tip of the shit iceberg that lunatic was allowed to do under his tenure. we comic fans still get mocked by non-readers over some of the crap he did! (gee, doesn't that sound familiar?!...)

Glad and very thankful we have Ian now who fixed most of Pender's mess and injected awesome into this comic again.

...What was the worse stuff?

Um, they didn't. SEGA were happy to let Rotor be gay as long as it was kept relatively quiet. It was Ian who overrode Penders on that.

Wait they were ok with it? I heard they wern't.

...What was the worse stuff?

Actually if someone wants to fill in on the exact details go right ahead but it was allot of echidna wank and Sonic love triangle bull but theres much more, I just can't recall everything atm due to me just skimming those arcs long ago. combine that with the terrible art like Ron Lim's Cyclops Sonic we were getting at the time and it was just a recipe for mockery.

Edited by goku262002

His decision to "make Rotor gay" didn't even effect anything in the comic, so I'm not sure how that's just as bad as anything else Penders was responsible for, such as all the Echidna stuff and the "romance"/soap opera-ish drama. There was never any real evidence of it and even if it had been 100% canon, I'm not sure how that would have been an inherently bad concept (although, Penders would have handled it horribly, but that goes without saying).

• Thumbs Up 1