Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ss6x.jpg

The Cover for Sonic Select 6 is up.

Sonic and Tails team up with Knuckles and the Chaotix against Robotnik’s most terrifying weapon to date–a doomsday machine that could roboticize the entire planet with just the push of a button… the Death Egg. The massive space station looms over Mobius, threatening to turn every living creature into mindless drones. Can our way-past-cool blue hero and his heroic friends defeat Robotnik and destroy this ultimate weapon before it’s too late? And even if they succeed… will the Death Egg rise again?

Sonic Select Vol. 6 collects stories from Sonic Quest #1-3 and the Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day 2010 and 2011 specials.

Edited by STrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait I just noticed something...

tumblrm26bphsaia1r6drqd.png

Bunnie's been taking notes from Sagat, her robotic arm is supposed to be on the left.

Interestingly, there's also the possibility that this was in fact not a mistake of art but rather a mistake of marketing, and Bunnie gets re-partially-roboticized only this time affecting her right arm. I guess they don't know what to do with her if she can't zap robots or be moping about no longer being able to do the former.

Naugus, or Bat-faced Monkey Man, is an attempt of the comic to rectify the problem of having villains that can't be taken seriously other than Eggman. Sure, Naugus can never come close, but I at least appreciate the attempt of having a Two-Face to Eggman's Joker. Sure, he is shallow, but he is an effective pain in Sonic's ass especially now that he is king of Sonic's hometown.

But I see your point that the comic's side universe that was meant to expand on the world is now entrenching within the main story. It is kind of a problem.

I'm mostly pointing out that they can't seem to portray Nagus as creepy in any way other than the characters saying that he is, *obligatory robot devil quote*. His design also seems off.

Nice cover for Selects Volume 6! I also like they they're collecting the FCBD stories in this volume as well. :)

The three hour Sonic Talk podcast with Ian Flynn is up and ready for a listen!

st6.jpg

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/04/23/sonic-talk-episode-6-ask-ian/

---

Regarding Hogfathers long review from a few pages back: I totally agree. Now I'll admit, I've been out of the comics since the early 110's, and I only got a subscription again for the Genesis arc, which I thoroughly enjoyed if only for the art, the disconnection from current continuity AND the fact that it was the Sonic 1 and 2 adaptation we never got in the 90's.

When the regular series kicked back in, I tried to follow it, but I felt like I wasn't getting the full story. I agree, Sonic Universe should not be required for enjoying the regular series. If it is so important to the main plot, make Sonic the Hedgehog a twice a month comic and tell the Universe stories in the main series. I had thought Universe was meant to tell disconnected side-stories from elsewhere in the Archieverse, but that's not the case and I think it's a rip-off. Now that's just me and my wallet's opinion, so if fans like to buy more than one series to be able to enjoy the main series, go right ahead, but I've bailed from Archie (once again) after this issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been waiting for that interview, thanks for posting it Barry.

I posted this as a status a few days ago but I don't think anyone saw (seeing as 2 minutes later there was a flood of meme statuses, oh you guize!).

For those interested, Herms85 on DevART did a cover art dump of the Megaman and Sonic comics. If you wanted a certain cover in HQ without any watermarks, it may be there!

He does this every few months, lets a few covers pile up and then releases them as a whole set. so if I were you i'd watch him if you have an account, hes a pretty cool guy anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, now I want Ian to make that Froggy/Cheese mini series. "Chao! Chao!" "Ribbit! Ribbit! Ribbity, croak!" laugh.png

Ooh, things certainly have gotten rather interesting now! I'm honestly interested in seeing how this will all turn out; I haven't had this feeling in a long while as far as this comic is concerned.

You know, this preview actually proves Hogfather's point about other arc references REALLY well;

SONIC_236-3-620x.jpg

Counting all the issues it recommends people to look up, we have;

StH#119

StH#123

StH#225

StH#230-234

SU#37-40 (SU#40 isn't out yet)

Yeah, this isn't just going back a year's worth of issues, some of those are from 2003.

• Thumbs Up 8

If I remember the description correctly, wasn't this issue supposed to be a "Jumping-on point" issue? doesn't that usually mean that if some readers are lost that they catch them up?

Cool preview pages! Hopefully, my issue will get here before too long. I had to contact Archie Comics this month because the first issue of my renewed subscription that began with last month's issue didn't come. Thankfully, they reshipped it and got it to me pretty fast. Let's hope that this month's issue is just as lucky.

I don't really see those past issues as mandatory, just miscellaneous information for the most part. That said, five footnotes on just one page is kinda overkill.

On another note, that panel of Amy on page 4 is so going to be made into avatars.

Seems like Sonic is as blue as a Zoloft pill.

...I like it.

*gleefully rubs hands together*

Edited by Kintobor
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, this preview actually proves Hogfather's point about other arc references REALLY well;

SONIC_236-3-620x.jpg

Counting all the issues it recommends people to look up, we have;

StH#119

StH#123

StH#225

StH#230-234

SU#37-40 (SU#40 isn't out yet)

Yeah, this isn't just going back a year's worth of issues, some of those are from 2003.

Ugh Tell me about it, I think that's the most references to previous issues on one page.

Thing is they are trying to tackle this "Hurrrrrrr I dun git wahts goings on" thinking with all these reprints! The selects, archives, the digital best ofs, the supersonic special magazine, and the jumping off and catching up points they make every few issues. plus i'm sure counting on their readerbase not being total techno-inept twits and not doing the occasional google search or wiki search on mobius encylopedia.

Sure it may seem like there saying to go back and read those issues to make sense of it, but i'm also betting that there saying to just do a google or mobius encylopedia search of it but can't say it upfront.

plus i'm sure counting on their readerbase not being total techno-inept twits and not doing the occasional google search or wiki search on mobius encylopedia.

Given what queries I've had to answer for people older than the target demographic of the comics, I think they may be overestimating, then.

Crud I thought we were actually going to discuss the comic this time and not regurgitate the same complaints from earlier :v

Given what queries I've had to answer for people older than the target demographic of the comics, I think they may be overestimating, then.

Older? how older are we talking here?! if its anyone over 40+ years then were just going into the generational gap issue between older and younger people and thats a whole 'nother story.

Well look lets just take one of the * for example, its telling you to look up sth #225. I did a google search of "sth #225" exactly how it was written in the comics and what was my first result? yeah, a wiki page:

http://archiesonic.w...gehog_Issue_225

A wiki page thats fully detailed on the issue including full details, links to other character, location, and comic pages. sure its not the same as reading a comic but you do get the idea of what happened so you could continue.

Edited by goku262002

Older? how older are we talking here?! if its anyone over 40+ years then were just going into the generational gap issue between older and younger people and thats a whole 'nother story.

A 15 year old who didn't think of Googling it. >:/

Thing is they are trying to tackle this "Hurrrrrrr I dun git wahts goings on" thinking with all these reprints! The selects, archives, the digital best ofs, the supersonic special magazine, and the jumping off and catching up points they make every few issues. plus i'm sure counting on their readerbase not being total techno-inept twits and not doing the occasional google search or wiki search on mobius encylopedia.

Sure it may seem like there saying to go back and read those issues to make sense of it, but i'm also betting that there saying to just do a google or mobius encylopedia search of it but can't say it upfront.

Isn't most of 150 to 200 considered to be the worst part of the comic? Catch up to a comic he doesn't really like by reading a bunch of issues of when it was really bad?

And really, that's the face you're going with for that pep talk?

The only one from a while back 119 and it's actually explained a bit. Plus, it's not like what Eggman is saying absolutely requires you to know exactly what happened there, since he's saying the important part.

Isn't most of 150 to 200 considered to be the worst part of the comic?

No?