Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

^Yeah me too.^

You wern't even an avid fan of the comics until recently Hoggy and you state it constantly, to be continuing these reviews and judging it soo harshly without at least going back a few arcs to know whats going on just seems...wrong.

Its like taking a random fan whos only been watching the game universe and throwing him into a middle of an arc and, without telling him a thing, tell him to write a review of it. minus your interesting quips you would end up with pretty much the same result. Your review is entertaining, but so is trolling and watching people get into a shitfit over your trolling and enjoying the hell out of it. this seems like a similar case.

I would suspend these reviews for a while and do some backtracking. you don't seem to understand allot about the US comic.

Edited by goku262002

Gotta be honest, the whole thing about requiring the reader to 'go back a few arcs to know what's going on' is pretty bullshit in itself.

Gotta be honest, the whole thing about requiring the reader to 'go back a few arcs to know what's going on' is pretty bullshit in itself.

Yeah, that sort of thing tends to lead to continuity lockout, which is rarely, if ever, a good thing.

^Yeah me too.^

You wern't even an avid fan of the comics until recently Hoggy and you state it constantly, to be continuing these reviews and judging it soo harshly without at least going back a few arcs to know whats going on just seems...wrong.

Its like taking a random fan whos only been watching the game universe and throwing him into a middle of an arc and, without telling him a thing, tell him to write a review of it. minus your interesting quips you would end up with pretty much the same result. Your review is entertaining, but so is trolling and watching people get into a shitfit over your trolling and enjoying the hell out of it. this seems like a similar case.

I would suspend these reviews for a while and do some backtracking. you don't seem to understand allot about the US comic.

First off all I've actually read through well over a years worth of these issues after I was given a load of issues at last years SOS, so don't say I'm just doing this for the lols and don't have any idea whats happened in the backstory when I do.

Fact of the matter is I'm coming to this comic and pointing one large finger at it and all the problems it has that either it doesn't know it has or that the fans don't realise it has.

Take issue 235, theres a scene in Sonic's house with some random woman hedgehog and a robot looking hedgehog... who on earth are they? The've not been mentioned or talked about in over a years worth of archie comics, I assume that they're supposed to be Sonic's parents, why is one of them a robot? Yet out of a years worth of issues theres never been a reference to either Sonic having parents in this universe or that he still lives with them?

The whole point of Silver going back in time in that issue is to identify a traitor, again this hasn't been mentioned in nearly a years worth of main archie except for "St John is a traitor."

How about the random white or bland backgrounds that keep being used instead of interesting scenes, do I need to read past issues to understan the constant use of those?

How long has it been since the Death Egg first came back it was at some point in 2011 wasn't it? Even if you exclude the Genesis Arc which interupted the main series... Why is nobody doing anything about it? In issue 235, whilst there is no solid date given as to how long it's been since the events of issue 234, the suggestion that it's been days and possibly weeks since.

In fact lets look at all the things that have happened since Genesis saga ended.

We've had an invasion from some Duck armada (happened in a totally different comic yet was so important it aparently interupted events in the main one so why not include it in the main one?)

We've had Antoine arresting St John, now unless they happen to be using the Ace Attorney trail system, I imagine that there was quite a bit of prep/few weeks which went into that before the trail date... considering how the comic is constantly bringing up the whole 'legal procedure why wouldn't they?' Which brings us onto....

An entire courtroom trail

We've had Antoine getting to hospital and his subsequent medical treatment.

The day after tomorrow when Silver comes back and gets 'recruited'.

That time period, going off dialogue used and the day/night time periods which we see as well as the fact those events couldn't possibly have taken place in such a short period of time... must have been a few a month or two of archie comics time. And in that month or two. Not including the moment they snapped out of the genesis saga... they have fought Eggman and the Death Egg... ... Once.

Oh wait. We got that lazy line in the last issue suggesting that Eggman keeps hiding it... yeah of course... in that case why is Eggman hiding it? Should he not be oh I dunno... using it!? It's quite obvious that nothing right now can stop it, magic, weaponry, it's all bounced off it.

I can only imagine the conversation that happened on the bridge after that comic ended.

Eggmans Lacky: So urm... should we not use this Death Egg to conquer the planet.

Eggman: No I think.... ... I think we'll just sit here for several issues and then come out and attack.

Eggmans Lacky: but we could easilly take over the world... that way you've be in charge and the characters would have to experience stories coming to terms with their freedom being lost again and adapting to a change in their lifestyle to the point where old enemies could be seen as unlikely allies? Yet theres always a sense of distrust between them.... I.... I'm only suggesting it.

Eggman: No... I still just want to sit here for a while.

It was only because of Eggmans own arrogance by allowing Sonic/Sally to break in and attack it from within did they stop it on that initial encounter. Or do I need to buy Sonic Universe to find out the answers to that one?

No I have a better question, even if someone had bought every single archie issue since issue 1, why is it that nobody has done or is doing anything about the Death Egg for the best part of 3 months!? How on earth is it more important to put someone on trail and debate the use of an artificial inteligence system when you have something flying around that almost destroyed the main population centre? Do the characters in this series have a reason for being so short sighted, if so what issue did that happen in so I can go read up on it.

So what does backtracking have to do with the comics costant jumping from the main archie series to Sonic Universe or some other publication? Nothing. It's an editorial decision to try and sell more comics at the expense of trying to tell a good story within one comic.

Also how long exactly should people go back? And how many other issues should they buy exactly? Even Marvel and DC summer special events don't demand that readers go out and buy their tie in issues, sure they're made in a way to try and get people to buy other issues in a hope that they'll stick with the comic. But at no point do you get huge plot changing points or massive diversions from the plot interupting the series unless you're at the climax to an arc or the story in question you are telling.

In only 3 issues, Archies Sonic has absolutely demanded from it's readers that in order to understand big plot moments, you've had to buy another comic and sometimes they recommend several issues of it.

That is an editor trying to play writer. No way should anyone have to do that. It makes the comic look utterly stupid since the flow of the story is constantly broken from all these other events influencing it yet seeming to exist randomly outside of the main story arc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wait. We got that lazy line in the last issue suggesting that Eggman keeps hiding it... yeah of course... in that case why is Eggman hiding it? Should he not be oh I dunno... using it!? It's quite obvious that nothing right now can stop it, magic, weaponry, it's all bounced off it.

The thing is that he's currently busy doing other things. He's been sorting out his grandmasters and is now in the middle of handling a coup from Snively teaming up with the Iron Queen (after failing to get Hope in on the plan) and having some aid from Conquering Storm. He's now got two powerful people under his control since he's controlling Monkey Khan now, too.

...Unfortunately, this is all Sonic Universe material.

I gotta feel sorry for Sonic, when Scourge's words from one of the issues, "All it takes is ONE bad day and you'll be just LIKE me." Instead of one, he got 2 bad days. If Ant dies, Sonic's gonna finally break

I'm not responding to all...that. but I will say this.

Hogfather, your obiviously pissed and now your just outright showing it when before you were just hiding it behind these reviews.

If your this ticked off over everything this comic is doing, why continue? your free to drop it anytime. its just obivious now that your not liking the direction this comic and how you feel its forcing you to jump between universe and the main comic.Yet heres the thing, allot of us don't mind the jumping around, its really not that hard to keep up with both sets.

But like I said, nobody is forcing you to read this comic, you can leave anytime if you feel its getting too complicated.

Edited by Mysterics

I was just random browsing Mobius Encyclopedia a minute ago.

I was aware Bernie had been redesigned, wasn't aware that Julie-Su had as well;

Juliereasons.jpg

*shrug*

Edit: Then again, there's also the very recent Yardley pin-up redesign too;

287px-Jullie-su-1.jpg

Either way, she's lost all her blue.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I've had problems trying to get acquainted with the comic due to stuff like this, the issues heavily reference past issues (it makes sense if it's the same arc obviously).. or even other comic lines so my attempts at giving Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog a fair chance are rather hindered by my ability to understand, though, this is bringing it down for me.

Well this isn't the 90s or early 2000s anymore. we got wiki's and infomation sites now that provide the infomation you need. hell whenever I don't get something I just head over to the Mobius Encyclopedia.

I also like how his "UR JUST MAD" defense falls apart when you've stated multiple positive things and aspects you've enjoyed in previous reviews. (Heck, even in this one.)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

I'm avoiding that post to not start a pointless fight. You'd just win anyways you got the majority of this board on your side so i'm not going to bother.

Besides your complaints are void here at this board, if you want anyone to take your input into serious consideration your best chance is over at bumbleking. here were just going to agree and like the post and thats as far as you'll go. you want to shake things up and make changes to this comic, your not going to get anywhere posting here.

The point is the comics themselves moved into the Adventure art style at the point the archives are currently at. The archives covers themselves should make the same shift to reflect that, not some awkward hybrid between classic and modern that would have Sonic 4 haters foaming at the mouth.

For Adventure art, there's already Sonic Selects. Keeping the airbrushed art means that the covers will keep a common theme throughout the series, despite the difference in design; Which considering that the covers for the Archives were tailored to stand out by their old-school airbrush look, is clever, smart, good, and just all around a good idea why the fuck would you oppose it

EDIT: Goku, will you please stop whining just because said something against the comic?

I mean dear god, he's said good things too, and all the points he raised are valid criticism. I'll even say, Hogfather, go repost that on plus4Chan, Ian tends to read posts there.

I mean, I don't agree with most of what he said, when Batman goes home we don't need a panel saying "THIS IS ALFRED HIS BUTLER" to know he's a butler; but they're well thought points nonetheless, and the one who is looking like a silly man here is you.

And no, before you say it, I'm not agreeing with him because I hate the comic or you. Just like most of this forum.

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Awesome argument.

Every point you made was valid, but I will point out that the only reason Eggman is not capitalizing is because he is dealing with Snively. During this misadventure, Eggman has destroyed Station Square, routed through it's army, and re-gained a powerful ally/slave in Monkey Khan. But this only contributes to the point that all of this happened in Sonic Universe.

Every point you made was valid, but I will point out that the only reason Eggman is not capitalizing is because he is dealing with Snively. During this misadventure, Eggman has destroyed Station Square, routed through it's army, and re-gained a powerful ally/slave in Monkey Khan. But this only contributes to the point that all of this happened in Sonic Universe.

I said that earlier. :/

To answer some of your criticisms Hogfather.

A.) Eggman's sitting out the Death Egg because it's under repair. It got seriously damaged from when the roboticizer beam hit it. Then, Eggman foolishly depleted it's energy from the Chaso Emerald by attacking mobotropolis. Also, he's currently pre-ocupied seeking out Snivley who went traitor.

B.) Sonic tried to go fight the Death Egg by getting a Warp Ring from Knuckles, but Knuckles refused since the Warp rings don't necessarily take you to the right spot and the warp ring could have easily fallen into the hands of Eggman if Sonic had failed. Sonic has to wait for Eggman to make the first move to go after him. Sonic will spring into action finally in #236.

• Thumbs Up 4

The thing is that he's currently busy doing other things. He's been sorting out his grandmasters and is now in the middle of handling a coup from Snively teaming up with the Iron Queen (after failing to get Hope in on the plan) and having some aid from Conquering Storm. He's now got two powerful people under his control since he's controlling Monkey Khan now, too.

Every point you made was valid, but I will point out that the only reason Eggman is not capitalizing [...]

I've actually replied to this... only I did it on another forum so you have to register there to read the complaints, it's called SSMB Universe.

Jokes aside, I genually don't know how to reply to that. Mainly because it seems that for all the events you two have described, it just seems like it should have been something that at the very most should have been shown in some way in the main comic?

It's obviously going to come back and influence the main storyline so greatly so why is it exclusively in a seperate issue? As it stands right now, the fact that nobody seems to care about Eggman, it just makes everybody look so incompetant, especially since we're dealing with a comic time period of days if not weeks. I assume when Eggman and the Death Egg eventually comes back it's going to be one of the following scenarios.

1: He's back and more powerful than before thanks to alliances made in SU?

2: He's back, and whilst still a threat he is weakened thanks to the events in SU?

Also, this is going back a while... But wasn't Sonic Universe originally started as something to deepen the Sonic archie universe instead of creating events that would so directly influence the main story arc?

I knew that people wouldn't agree with what I've said, but goodness me it's not like I have blind hatred for the comic as a whole, for the last two issue reviews I've done I've said that they were actually quite enjoyable, the main problem I had with the court battle issue was the constant 'see issue ***' in order to understand someones motives or see one line of dialogue.

Anyway, see you all... whenever my local comic book guy bothers to order the next issue in.

EDIT: Goku, will you please stop whining just because said something against the comic?

I mean dear god, he's said good things too, and all the points he raised are valid criticism. I'll even say, Hogfather, go repost that on plus4Chan, Ian tends to read posts there.

I mean, I don't agree with most of what he said, when Batman goes home we don't need a panel saying "THIS IS ALFRED HIS BUTLER" to know he's a butler; but they're well thought points nonetheless, and the one who is looking like a silly man here is you.

And no, before you say it, I'm not agreeing with him because I hate the comic or you. Just like most of this forum.

I never said at any point that his critisms were invalid. he made valid points I get that what I said was it just seemed wrong to me that his critisms were based on lack of infomation either by not jumping back and forth between Universe or not reading past arcs and maybe he should backtrack to understand who and what is going on, then this mess happened.

But I can see what this is brewing into and I don't want any part of it. I'm out forget I said anything and move on. I'll be back later when this topic has moved onto other things.

It's really great when the spin off comic meant to flesh out the universe focuses on the important events while the main comic focuses on drama brought about by characters being dumb, and it's even better when they aren't being released in chronological order.

And now they're worrying about this other other thing that really just seems like more baggage and I don't think I could give less of a shit about it. It certainly doesn't help that Nagus is a terrible character. Did I mention he's creepy, giuse, cause he totally is!!!

It's really great when the spin off comic meant to flesh out the universe focuses on the important events while the main comic focuses on drama brought about by characters being dumb, and it's even better when they aren't being released in chronological order.

And now they're worrying about this other other thing that really just seems like more baggage and I don't think I could give less of a shit about it. It certainly doesn't help that Nagus is a terrible character. Did I mention he's creepy, giuse, cause he totally is!!!

Well I seriously disagree with what Hogfather said about Sonic Universe.

Comics books cross over all the time between titles. Like all the time. I'm sure every comic has done this before. And this is not the first time the situation in Sonic Universe has impacted a main arc either. Journey to the East was a companion piece to the Iron Dominion arc. To reference the Armada invasion once or twice is not a hindrance to the plot. It's a side story and it's being mentioned on the side. You may as well complain about nothing.

Basically there are two Sonic comics. When you think the book pertains to the story you should buy it then. The city of New Mobotropolis was under attack in one arc. If you think that kind of event should exist in a vacuum I don't know what to tell you. If you think all of the Universe arcs should exist in a vacuum then what is the point of SU at all? It will be referenced. There are two Sonic books. Not one Sonic book. You act like there is only one.

It's obviously the readers problem if we bring in a character who thinks something that everybody knows is wrong and more or less dedicate and entire issue to them only for it to be a set up in a different publication...

So you've read a year's worth of the book. You're still a new reader. Did you know that Silver's entire purpose for time traveling in the comic is to find the FF who leads to his future's destruction? It's what he's doing every time he appears in the comic. Myself and a lot of other readers are looking forward to the revelation. Of course Silver will be a total noob going about his job, because that's the character. But being recruited by the owl is not the only reason for him to appear. This is an ongoing plot line. Why should it summarize everything that happens. Take a guess at what's going on instead. You were pretty close anyways. Also $10 says that Silver is not wrong this time.

It's the readers problem that we have characters who don't seem to know what their job is supposed to be...

Well here is the part I agree with, and you probably see it clearer as a new reader because you aren't to the point of excusing the bullshit yet. When Ian wants a character to disagree, become uncooperative, or overreacting in general, it will happen for little to no reason. Except you can be sure the other characters will act like it was happening all along. The citizens become afraid of Nicole last year for example. None of that is really actualized or shown to us in the book until Mina declares it to be true. I think Ian has a way of moving the plot heavily along and the result is that some things appear to come from nowhere. He could afford to slow down with so many character developments. Feelings like mutiny or discontent need time to build. It can't be as spontaneous as Bunnie ducking out from the city. And now Rotor being the only level head on the council is not even a credit to Rotor at all. He is just the one who today, has immunity to the writer's pen. I think the series would benefit from multiple writers, and lessons in pacing.

Edited by Badnikz