Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

This month I look back and review a CLASSIC in the eyes of Many Sonic Fans, ENDGAME!!

Comments are Welcomed!

My only criticism of these reviews is that you repeat things alot, and you stutter a fair bit. Otherwise, informative.

End of the Year Thoughts on The Sonic The Hedgehog Comics:

Hello, with three weeks left in 2011 I thought I would look back at the year that was in the Archie comics Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Universe comics. To say that it's been an interesting year would be putting it mildly. For much has happened in both comics that has caused some controversy not just in the comics but around a certain head writer by the name of Ian Flynn. So now I look back in text at what was the 2011 year in the comic books.

When we ended 2010 a lot was going on, first in September of 2010 as well as October we had the introduction of Bunnie's uncle who we found out was working for Dr. Eggman's Dark Egg Legion, which temporarily caused dissension between Sonic and Bunnie before they figured out how to complete their mission as well as sabotage both sides attempt at an oil refinery. This of course left the door open for Bunnie's uncle to return as well as a possible standoff and fight between her and him, a fight which will become a personal one for Bunnie.

But then we top that off in the following two issues with the betrayal of the St. John character. Who we find out later on is a Ixis Wizard apprentice in training. We also find out that a very popular character who was/is St. John's wife could possibly be dead and what's the character's name you may ask, why none other than Hershey The Cat. And upon hearing this there were/are fans that liked Hershey and where not too happy with hearing what could have happened to her. Many/some still feel and believe she is still alive, either as a robotized slave or as a DEL GrandMaster. There are fans that hope for the latter.

Now in between those issues we come to February 2011 and finally in the eyes of many long-time fans and yes even some newer fans we had an issue which was, I guess you could say was the calm before the storm. For you see ever since the final two pages of the main story in issue 212, this was a moment and an issue that many long-time fans and again some newer fans have been waiting for and that was the official reuniting and committing of Sonic and Sally as a couple a.k.a. boyfriend/girlfriend. Now many if not some complemented this issue as being a break from the norm. However in the eyes of some issue 222 in which this takes place, some fans do have some criticism about it, mostly about the Amy Rose character and how she was portrayed in her part in this issue. For many/some they did not like in their eyes how Ian made Amy take a backseat to Sally. But on the other side of the coin there are those like myself that like what they saw and no it's not because we support the Sonic and Sally pairing, no it's because we like the fact that Ian made Amy act more mature and grown up to the point that she herself points out in this issue that if being with Sally makes Sonic happy then that makes her happy as well and for him, and to many/some fans like myself that shows us in the comic how grown-up and mature Amy has become, now on a side note she does say before she says what I mentioned before that indeed she believes in her heart that Sonic will be her's one day but again that if being with Sally makes him happy then she's cool with that.

Now on to the character of Nicole, for you see she plays a bigger role than we think. The role she plays starts out with another character by the name of Mina Mongoose. You see Mina like some of the other citizens of the city was/were/is having traumatic nightmares about their time under The Iron Dominion, more so under the control of Nicole when she was portrayed as Iron Nicole. Now because of this Mina decided along and thanks to her boyfriend to have a change in the style of her music, a change that she felt would be for the better and get a message across to the Royal Council that she and the other citizens do not want an AI watching over them and controlling the city. Nicole of course seeing/hearing this throughout the city was very concerned for she knew it would take a lot of time if not a long time for the citizens of the city to trust her again. Now when the concert took place in which debuted Mina's new music style, Nicole snuck around in a new look that she designed for herself, a more casual hip look. However even after finding Sally and Sonic and along with them was enjoying and dancing to the music, it wasn't until a certain amount of lyrics started to be sung by Mina that not only did Sally and Sonic here what the song was really about but most importantly Nicole was the first to hear what it was all about. Now after the concert ended which Nicole ran from in tears before it ended, Sally along with Sonic went to Mina's trailer and confronted her and her boyfriend by explaining to them why Nicole had to do what she did when the ID was in control of the city and only then do you see a bit of reality hit Mina straight in the face. Now on a side note the overreaction of the emotion during the concert was actually amplified by the wizard Nagus.

This of course led us not only into a confrontation with St. John and the Freedom Fighters as well as Nagus and the Royal Council but this led us straight into 225 which was a prelude or prologue to the Genesis story arc which dominated this past summer.

Genesis is viewed by many as being Ian's answer to ENDGAME. However many others look at it as just a trip down nostalgia lane as well as a way to show what it would be like if Sonic had met his friends by rescuing them for a capsule as in the original games. Now there are those that did enjoy Genesis and those that didn't, as a matter of fact some feel that it should have been its own separate four-part comic and I have to agree with them. But that's not the case, for you see Genesis I guess you could say had a integral part to play in the main comic's continuity. Basically the main plot line in this was the fact that Eggman wanted to rewrite history by wiping out the current timeline and by doing so create a new timeline/history with him ruling over all in what was going to be a robotized planet, however this was not to be.

Which of course now leads us into issue 231 and before it 230. Now with 230 we do indeed see the timeline restored and we do see Eggman defeated but this time however not without a major price. And that major price ended up being Sally sacrificing herself to prevent the planet from being robotized thus she is the one that gets robotized instead. Now how this will play out in 2012 well that I'm going to look into at the end of this.

Now as far as Sonic Universe goes, it has seen its share of some very intriguing and interesting stories. We started out 2011 with the conclusion of the Silver story arc which when many look at it was an adaption or loose adaption of Ian's Other – M webcomic, that had some differences from the original. But despite that some fans actually enjoyed it.

We follow that up with a four-month story arc centered around Scourge and the Suppression Squad and them trying to break out of the no zone's prison which they end up doing at the end of the story arc. One thing fans did like about this was it was a change from the norm and it gave some interesting back stories on some of the members of the squad.

The current story arc deals with the Babylon Rogues and the Battle Bird Amada and their search for the Babylon Gardens, currently right now the third part of the story arc has been released, the next one will be released in January 2012.

Now the main question is, "Where do we go from here?" Well Flynn said this would be a story arc that would be double the size of the ID story arc and when you look at when it supposedly began, which was back in May of this year, when you add up the months to come, June 2013 sounds like a huge conclusion to this story arc. But before we get to there, the question is "Where will we be a year from now with issue 244?"

Where will we be? Will we see Sally restored mentally or altogether by this time next year? Will we get some hints or clues as to where Flynn is taking this whole story arc? Heck, will Flynn even be here as the head writer of the comic a year from now? Or will Tracy Yardley be the new head writer or will it be somebody completely new altogether? Will the Freedom Fighters be more matured and wised a year from now? With either Sally on their side or not when they come to realize and if she's back with them, will she be more matured and wise and thus realize that they cannot show Eggman anymore mercy and that they must take him out once and for all. What role will Snively play in all this? Will he finally free the Iron Queen or will he help Sonic restore Sally? What role will Nicole play? Will she be the major reason Sally is restored mentally if not physically? And if so will she end up having to and as crazy as this sounds merge with Sally in some way? What role will Silver play in all this? Will he help Sonic go back in time and save Sally before the robotization beam hits her? Will he help Sonic go back in time and cause all the refineries to be shut down so that the Death Egg Mark II doesn't launch? What role will Bunnie play? Will she have to fight her best friend who is now robot or will she be one of the reasons Sally regains her free will? What about the Royal family? What role will they play? And what about Knuckles and the Chaotix? What role will they all play in all this? Will we see the return of Hershey? What about Shadow? Will he play an important role? The same question is Rouge. What role will she play? And what about Monkey Khan? What role will he play? And lastly, Will the negative for the characters in the comic turn into a positive by this time next year? These are all questions we hope to have answered by next year by the time we have 244 in our hands.

And that my friends was my End of the year thoughts (the text version) on the Sonic The Hedgehog comic book for 2011.

Your comments are welcomed here.

God bless

Youtube link to video/audio version :

Well my renewed subscription missed SU#34, and haven't seen StH#231 yet, but I got #35 already. Holy crap the amount of spoilers in it from the regular comic is insane. I am a sad panda. This really should've just been part of the regular series.

Side track for a little, but It would be cool to see a roboticized version of Shadow and Rouge. But I cannot wait until #250 and see where everything goes from here.

Well my renewed subscription missed SU#34, and haven't seen StH#231 yet, but I got #35 already. Holy crap the amount of spoilers in it from the regular comic is insane. I am a sad panda. This really should've just been part of the regular series.

Its actually supposed to take place AFTER 232, which is why there are probably so many spoilers.

Its actually supposed to take place AFTER 232, which is why there are probably so many spoilers.

Which is even worse. Just read #231 today to find it was still behind #35.

So I guess word of advice to anyone reading both series, wait for #232 to come out before looking at #35.

Why the hell are they setting a current SU story ahead of the main series? That's just... backwards.

It's supposed to run concurrently with the main story, but the issue release kind of messes it up. At the very least, #232 will be out before SU#36, so it'll be back in order then.

A couple of spoilers!

Bunnie's deroboticised and Nicole's still a hologram.

...Well, they're not exactly spoilers exclusive to #232 now. :S

Solicts! SOLICTS EVERYWHERE.

sonic235.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #235

Written by Ian Flynn, art and cover by Terry Austin and various.

"Remember the Fallen." The Freedom Fighters are torn apart in the fallout from last issue. Sonic and his friends must deal with the loss in their own way, and it will change the team forever. When Silver the Hedgehog arrives looking for "the traitor," will the weary Sonic give him a chance to speak?

32 pages, $2.99.

sonicuniverse38.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #38

Written by Ian Flynn, art and cover by Jamal Peppers and various.

"Scrambled," Part 2. The hunt is on! Dr. Eggman goes into all-out war with G.U.N., all in an attempt to smoke out his wayward lackey, Snively! Meanwhile, in the heart of G.U.N. headquarters, Snively seeks the next step in his master plan: a girl named Hope!

32 pages, $2.99

sonicselect5.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SELECT VOLUME 5 TP

By various, cover by Patrick Spaz Spaziante.

Blast into the past at Sonic speed with this flashback-themed edition of the hugely successful Sonic Select graphic novel series! You'll catch the early adventures that turned Sonic and the Freedom Fighters into the heroes they are today! From the founding of the team to the secret past between Princess Sally and Knuckles -- it's all here! Sonic Select 5 collects stories from Sonic Super Specials #5, 8, 9, and 11.

128 pages, $11.99.

knuckles2.jpg

KNUCKLES THE ECHIDNA ARCHIVES VOLUME 2 TP

By various, cover by Patrick Spaziante.

Hot off the heels of his successful debut graphic novel, Sonic's original "friendly nemesis" takes on all new challengers in the pulse-pounding Knuckles Archives 2! Dive in as Knuckles investigates the mysteries of his origins and the wonders of the Floating Island. Knuckles's past comes back to haunt him -- and in a big way! New villains arrive as the Dingo Regime is thrust back into fray, while the old villains of the Dark Legion and Enerjak return to wreck havoc! Collects two complete story arcs from Knuckles the Echidna # 4-9!

160 pages, $9.99.

bestofsonic.jpg

BEST OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG HC

Written by Ian Flynn, art by Patrick Spaz Spaziante & Various, cover by Patrick Spaz Spaziante

After nearly twenty years of comics, specials and mini-series, Sonic the Hedgehog has told hundreds of stories! Through the laughs and thrills, the action and adventure, the highs and lows, some stories stand out among the rest, - presented here for the first time ever in this thematic graphic novel collection! From the titanic clash of "Mecha Madness" to the universe-shattering epic "Order from Chaos," join the Archie Comics Sonic team picks their favorite stories from the history of the series!

144 pages, $24.99.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hooray, Silver's back, and it looks like he's finally going to find his 'traitor.'

Kinda eager how he and Sonic will clash over how to handle Mecha Sally since we all know Silver has the tendency to jump to conclusions.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Have to say, whoever coloured the Best Of cover has some VERY good skills.

Did we have to have the SSS#5 solicit to ruin the solid lineup, though?

Edited by VEDJ-F

I can't say that I'm surprise that Silver thinks that Sally's the traitor. Sally can't be the traitor since she's just a mindless slave to Robotnik.

Ha I love Dr. Robotnik's "Now that's entertainment" line on the Sonic Universe cover.

Edited by Warrior Princess

I can't say that I'm surprise that Silver thinks that Sally's the traitor. Sally can't be the traitor since she's just a mindless slave to Robotnik.

Doesn't matter if Sally did it willingly or not. Two hundred years down the road in an apocalyptic future, information is bound to be warped. I'm sure that as far as the people of future Mobius are concerned, she is a traitor.

Edited by Immortheus
  • Thumbs Up 1

^What he said.

Besides, from what we've seen of Silver's ruined future, there isn't really a lot of historical documentations for Silver to support his search besides that one book where he learned about the FF's.

Silver is one of my favorite Archie characters, its great to see him back kicking ass.

And Omega with Mecha Sally AND Metal Sonic? While Eggman joyusly watches from the sidelines with fellow comic reliefs Orbit and Cubot?

I hope im not alone in thinking that the comic has had in a huge upswing ever since Genesis

Edited by Sonimas032

Looks like my theory about Sally unwillingly being the traitor might have some weight.

After seeing that Universe cover, I want a version of Mystery Science Theater 3000 starring Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot. laugh.png

That Best Of cover is REALLY well done! The characters look almost exactly like the CG renders from the games. smile.png

Also, HECK YESH, METAL SONIC VS. OMEGA! biggrin.png

Wow that cover to Best of STH looks CGI! gotta admit that some awesome art skills to imitate the CGI style.

Poor Omega he is outnumbered...

EDIT: Hey theres no dates to when those comics are released like there usually is to those descriptions. what gives?

Edited by goku262002

EDIT: Hey theres no dates to when those comics are released like there usually is to those descriptions. what gives?

Comics Continuum never bothers putting dates in the descriptions it posts. The site does a lot of silly things like that.

Nice covers! Yay Silver is back. I have a feeling Sonic isn't going to take his shit due to him being "angry Sonic" now.

Also, in the Universe description. Snively in G.U.N? Are they mad? Him meeting Hope is gonna be painful too.