Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

@Dante: Oh, I know. Sort of. I haven't really been following threads in-depth (mostly just when drama like the legal bruhaha pokes its head up again), but I know how nitpicky people in general can be. I just heard one too many veiled (if thinly so) references to Ian's past fan work, I guess, and had to speak out.

Ian's not a perfect writer, no way, but [some, not all] people need to chill and remember, it's been, like, half a decade since he was made head writer. He's left his old stuff pretty much behind, I'm sure. (The Dark Mobius FF thing was probably more of an easter egg than anything serious.) I guess I just wish people would judge current, professional work by its own merits and shortcomings, and not compare it to old, unprofessional fan work that, while set in the same "world," was-as far as I've heard-of a much darker nature than the real deal.

You wouldn't judge your favorite author's published works by something that they wrote in college for their own enjoyment and shared with their friends/earliest readers, would you? (Well, maybe, but I think it's a bit illogical.) Unless it was about the basic quality, that I guess I get (like "They're so much better now" or "Their style's gotten worse" or "They were better at creating relationships in this work than that one" rather than point out a similarity or two and assume that the two will merge into some sort of fiction singularity. And now I'm babbling)

Though, if we're on the topic of the whole Mecha-Sally thing, and how it might conclude, how about some theories based on the official book's details, characters, and history?

I seem to recall a certain group out among the stars that can reverse the roboticization process. Some of which I'm sure would be very glad to, er, escape to Mobius. A Deux Ex Machina, sure, but at least it'd be science-ish based, and not just the typical magic or time travel idea. (Though, we also have a time traveler with a powerful mentor. Two mentors, actually) And, we have gems of unlimited energy and powers.... Or, someone could simply finally unlock the key to a de-roboticizer. That would, of course, break after one use and be forgotten somehow, because that would eliminate the threat.

Or Naugus could do it by accident.... Leading to the newly-restored Sally verbally waking the citizens up from the 'spell' and giving the wizard a massive fall from grace. ...Darn it, now I want to see this.... (If this happens, I totally called it. And I'll probably spontaneously break into dance and song...)

EDIT: @turbojet: I assume you mean #232? I'd have to say that she's not pointless, just not a major player in the plot right now. The point of the scene was for Sonic and Knuckles to catch up with what the other is doing. Due to her personal connection and importance to Knux, it made sense for her to be there, too. It's a part of being in a relationship. Sometimes, you just have to be there for them. Knuckles is in a tough spot too, right now (his relations are floating in a dimension he can't get to, and now his special childhood friend has just been roboticized). She'll have plot relevance when we shift primary focus more onto Knuckles again, I'm sure. (Though, why would you HATE her from this issue? She didn't do anything unusual or mean or violent or massively OOC or anything. I'm just confused and curious.)

Edited by Neon Zephyr

Oh how about the fact that Sonic points out the fact to Knuckles that being on Angel Island, he and the Chaotix should have the Death Egg coming and could have warned them.

And I will admit this, what sense does it make for Ian to kill Sally at the end of 225, restore/save her in 230 (Genesis excepted) and then turn into a robot at the end of the Same issue and what I saw coming a MILE AWAY, having Eggman working on and possibly dismantling her off panel/off screen in 232, I mean what sense does that make? None really if you ask me, which leads to believe that it's possibly something more then meets the eye.

Oh how about the fact that Sonic points out the fact to Knuckles that being on Angel Island, he and the Chaotix should have the Death Egg coming and could have warned them.

And I will admit this, what sense does it make for Ian to kill Sally at the end of 225, restore/save her in 230 (Genesis excepted) and then turn into a robot at the end of the Same issue and what I saw coming a MILE AWAY, having Eggman working on and possibly dismantling her off panel/off screen in 232, I mean what sense does that make? None really if you ask me, which leads to believe that it's possibly something more then meets the eye.

Or, let's think here instead of being silly. We know Sally's death and Genesis were tacked on at the last minute in order to celebrate the 20th anniversary, so forget those events.

What is left? They attack the Death Egg blindly, Sally is roboticized, Eggman alters her to probably weaponize her (as far as we know she only has super strength as of now)

What is so strange about this that warrants a dream ending? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, man.

Knuckles is so self-absorbed in Archie sometimes that he likely DIDN'T see the Death Egg coming. I wouldn't put it past him.

Sonic was jumping to conclusions with the Floating Island seeing the Death Egg thing. The island doesn't get a view of the ENTIRETY of Mobius's skies, and even if they could have, it was implied that the distance from the Death Egg's launch point to Mobotropolis wasn't that far. Knuckles would have been more concerned about the Chaotix's immediate safety during that point, as any leader would about their team. Besides, Sonic didn't yell at Knuckles about the lack of warning. KNUCKLES yelled at SONIC about it.

As for Eggy working on Mecha Sally... he's a scientist. He has a new toy. He's sadistic. He's evil. He wants to mess with the Freedom Fighters in the sickest ways he can (that the editors/SEGA will allow for a kid's comic). To alter her appearance would have an immediate effect on them. It would make her even more of Eggman's slave. His weapon. And, it could add the worry for the FF that they might not be able to revert her back to flesh and blood (which is why I think Naugus may be involved in fixing that). Makes complete sense to me. Comics can have plots that are more than just Battle-win or lose-go home-wake up-do it again. Conflicts (military and otherwise) in the real world aren't always straight forward and can teeter back and forth between victory and defeat multiple times before they conclude. Why can't they do that in comics?

And relax. I'm not attacking you. I'm just pointing out that you might be over-thinking this.

...And I was Ninja'd (Espio'd?) by KKM.

@VEDJ-F: You have a good point about Knux. He does tend to miss big things in Archie. Plus, they certainly wouldn't have felt the launch like New Mobotropolis did. Earthquakes wouldn't be felt on a FLOATING Island, right?

Also, how did Julie-Su come across as schizophrenic? I took her emotions as simple being angry at Sonic for basically saying that Knuckles was being selfish and just didn't want to help him, and that she was trying to calm/comfort Knuckles during the whole thing (remember, before Sonic's little Brotherhood quip, she says "Easy, Knux..."). Two simple emotions, two separate targets. You can feel more than one at a time, after all, and each was directed at a different person. And, even Knuckles had calmed down somewhat before Sonic left, and he's... a bit of a hothead. Julie-Su didn't snap back and forth between emotions at the same person or lash out without being provoked. And, more accurately, she's certainly not hallucinating or delusional or speaking in a disorganized manner.

That's why she was schizophrenic; one minute she was trying to calm Knux down, the next minute she was blowing up at Sonic over the same subject matter. Maybe it's better paced in the comic, but that seems a pretty stark contrast, even if they were aimed at two different people.

And people say schizophrenic whenever moods swing so drastically, it's not always meant in the literal sense.

Sonic was jumping to conclusions with the Floating Island seeing the Death Egg thing. The island doesn't get a view of the ENTIRETY of Mobius's skies, and even if they could have, it was implied that the distance from the Death Egg's launch point to Mobotropolis wasn't that far. Knuckles would have been more concerned about the Chaotix's immediate safety during that point, as any leader would about their team. Besides, Sonic didn't yell at Knuckles about the lack of warning. KNUCKLES yelled at SONIC about it.

As for Eggy working on Mecha Sally... he's a scientist. He has a new toy. He's sadistic. He's evil. He wants to mess with the Freedom Fighters in the sickest ways he can (that the editors/SEGA will allow for a kid's comic). To alter her appearance would have an immediate effect on them. It would make her even more of Eggman's slave. His weapon. And, it could add the worry for the FF that they might not be able to revert her back to flesh and blood (which is why I think Naugus may be involved in fixing that). Makes complete sense to me. Comics can have plots that are more than just Battle-win or lose-go home-wake up-do it again. Conflicts (military and otherwise) in the real world aren't always straight forward and can teeter back and forth between victory and defeat multiple times before they conclude. Why can't they do that in comics?

And relax. I'm not attacking you. I'm just pointing out that you might be over-thinking this.

...And I was Ninja'd (Espio'd?) by KKM.

@VEDJ-F: You have a good point about Knux. He does tend to miss big things in Archie. Plus, they certainly wouldn't have felt the launch like New Mobotropolis did. Earthquakes wouldn't be felt on a FLOATING Island, right?

Also, how did Julie-Su come across as schizophrenic? I took her emotions as simple being angry at Sonic for basically saying that Knuckles was being selfish and just didn't want to help him, and that she was trying to calm/comfort Knuckles during the whole thing (remember, before Sonic's little Brotherhood quip, she says "Easy, Knux..."). Two simple emotions, two separate targets. You can feel more than one at a time, after all, and each was directed at a different person. And, even Knuckles had calmed down somewhat before Sonic left, and he's... a bit of a hothead. Julie-Su didn't snap back and forth between emotions at the same person or lash out without being provoked. And, more accurately, she's certainly not hallucinating or delusional or speaking in a disorganized manner.

I definitely want to see the alter Mecha Sally. I bet this hurts Knuckles as much as Sonic. Knux will definitely be involved sooner than later.

But I got a theory.....IF Naugus can fix Bunnie and make her complete flesh and blood again, can Jules be restored to his flesh-and-blood state again?

Oh snap future i didnt even think of that, but jules injuries were so bad if reversed it would kill him, but naugus could fix it all in one go right?

Could your theory lead to SONIC to make a big decision like that to naugus to consider him a traitor like if you change my dad back you can do this without me bothering you. I doubt it but could shake things up.

Even if Jules is deroboticized would it last? Bunnie's most likely won't. So if her magic wears off/stops, so would his.

Oh snap future i didnt even think of that, but jules injuries were so bad if reversed it would kill him, but naugus could fix it all in one go right?

Could your theory lead to SONIC to make a big decision like that to naugus to consider him a traitor like if you change my dad back you can do this without me bothering you. I doubt it but could shake things up.

EDIT: @turbojet: I assume you mean #232? I'd have to say that she's not pointless, just not a major player in the plot right now. The point of the scene was for Sonic and Knuckles to catch up with what the other is doing. Due to her personal connection and importance to Knux, it made sense for her to be there, too. It's a part of being in a relationship. Sometimes, you just have to be there for them. Knuckles is in a tough spot too, right now (his relations are floating in a dimension he can't get to, and now his special childhood friend has just been roboticized). She'll have plot relevance when we shift primary focus more onto Knuckles again, I'm sure. (Though, why would you HATE her from this issue? She didn't do anything unusual or mean or violent or massively OOC or anything. I'm just confused and curious.)

Hmmm I dont think we'll see robo SHADOW & ROUGE as the effects only went on SALLY, but ever since issue 3 of SHADOWS arc in SONIC UNIVERSE a sub plot has always stuck with me....

G.U.N seem to be having a secret agenda that hasnt even been touched up on yet, wether they are using TEAM DARK for thier own reasons. Could we see a HUMAN VS ANIMAL theme again? (doubt it) could we go all EPISODE I-III STAR WARS style like the rise of the EMPEROR PALPATINE to claim Mobius.

It does seem the comic is heading in a darker stage (I use the term dark considering how much shit the FF have been through) and as someone said earlier the recent issues to me have had a most evil's kicking ass and certainly to me at the moment very very much like THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, I think we are in for a few good issues in 2012 lets hope it lives up to it.

Also I so wanna see who that SNAKE chracter is on the cover of SONIC UNIVERSE #37 :P

It's unknown exactly what G.U.N is planning with the Emeralds they have in possession. Most likely they are simply having them for safe keeping, keeping them out of reach of villainous beings. Course they may have other objectives.

It most likely never occured to Sonic that Angel Island was most likely halfway across the world, so of course Knux's wouldn't know what's going on immediately, same said with G.U.N being located pretty dag far away from New Mobotropils on another continent. Considering that the ruins of New Megalopolis is located on the same continent as New Mobotropilis and that their somewhat close to each other, of course New Mobotropolis and it's surrounding area would feel the Death Egg's Launch.

It's because Turbojet has some odd vendetta against characters and seeing as Sally has become obsolete now that she's just a mindless robot I suppose he need some other target for his unfounded hate.

I'll be honest. I never liked her. She was number two on my "Bitch die" list. What she did in this issue was nothing detrimental or unlikable as she already is. She was just there and that is a problem. I guess she is to Knuckles what Sally is Sonic. Hogs up so much of that character's interactions with others for pointless romance just to be reminded that "hey, this is Knuckles' girlfriend." Honestly, what the fuck was the point of Charmy in that meeting with Sonic? I just don't how comic book writers are so poor at being romantics, but spend so many pages catering to the base with absolutely superfluous crap.

Oh god, seriuosly with this crap again?

I thought you'd be happy with Sally basically being written out of the comic for the moment, but you really have a personal vendetta against all supporting cast members that happen to be slight love interests so far as to have a "die" list rolleyes.gif

What exactly makes Julie-Su so dislikable besides the fact she has the gaul to have some romantic interest in Knuckles?

If it were up to you the story for these comics would be like some episode of a kids cartoon where they just punch the bad guy all day and thats it.

These writers that you critisise are actually putting some relations and emotion into these characters so that they aren't just bland flat characters and we actually feel something for them. I know you have some thing against "love" and "romance" but just because characters show these emotions doesn't make them instantly pointless and detrimental to the characters they're involved with. Whoowhee you need to work through some issues.

What was the point of Charmy being there? Well these "shitty writers" wrote a scene where Sonic turns up in an impromtu manner, not an organised meeting. Of course Knuckles and friends are gonna be doing something and can't be expected to drop everything and vacate the "useless" characters not needing to be there for Sonic's arrival.

Can't see how its pointless at all. Charmy chimes in with some information, letting us know that Ray and Mighty send letters through the ring portal.

Not everything has to be of major importance to be considered good. I like the little things the writers of this comic do, I would really hate to see the bland no-romance type of comic you'd make. These guys write comics for a reason, because they're good at it.

I've said it before but if you really hate these comics so much why bother reading them at all?

The-Master-Board, you're not holding the higher ground here when you're trying to bash Turbojet like that. It's been awhile since you two went at it, but now you're just instigating again.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be honest. I never liked her. She was number two on my "Bitch die" list. What she did in this issue was nothing detrimental or unlikable as she already is. She was just there and that is a problem. I guess she is to Knuckles what Sally is Sonic. Hogs up so much of that character's interactions with others for pointless romance just to be reminded that "hey, this is Knuckles' girlfriend." Honestly, what the fuck was the point of Charmy in that meeting with Sonic? I just don't how comic book writers are so poor at being romantics, but spend so many pages catering to the base with absolutely superfluous crap.

I never saw much issue with Julie-Su personality-wise, other than the fact that she constantly picks fights were it isn't called for. Other than that she's basically your typical snarky action girl, which is fine, but as a result she kinda is left without a purpose most of the time and they really need to fix that.

Edited by Grooseinator032

Can anyone sense and say "Sonic's possibly having a prophetic dream like he did in a certain webcomic. Just saying rolleyes.gif

Ian has said that this storyline will be bigger then "EndGame", so I very much doubt that he would pull the "It's all a dream" crap.

Even if Jules is deroboticized would it last? Bunnie's most likely won't. So if her magic wears off/stops, so would his.

If Jules is deroboticized he would have to be healed at the same time. Otherwise, that deroboticization would kill him due to his injuries before hand.

Other than that, yeah.

I was just reading 232's Sonic-Grams. Hasn't it only been speculated that Matilda is Mighty's sister so far? Because Ian goes out and states that she is his sister in the Sonic-grams.

Q: Fourth: Are Mighty and Ray going to meet Thrash and Mighty's sister on their quest? That would be so cool!

A: I know, right? I love Thrash and Matilda smile.png

I mean, it was obvious and all, but I didn't think he'd reveal it just like that.

Edited by MarcelloF

@MarcelloF: Yeah, I thought that was kinda weird, too. I mean, the confirmation's nice, but....

Hey, maybe this means that the SU arc after Eggman's will be Mighty and Ray. That'd be nice, to see what they're up to.

Honestly, I don't mind seeing a little romance it the comics, as long as it doesn't t=get over-excessive (OHAI Penders) and make one partner try to hold back the other partner from action (OHAI early 100's Sally!).

Wait Matilda is Mighty's sister?! wow that was a ball out of left field esp. since Matilda hasn't had allot of page time in the comics. nice to know though but i was kind of expecting a Universe arc out of it.

Well, considering she came up a few issues after Mighty and Ray left on their journey, plus the facts that she's female, young, legionized and the only other Armadillo seen in the comic with a name to boot (aside Arlo, but that's a different Armadillo), it was all way too obvious.

Plus Matilda roughly means "Strength" or "Might".

However as MarcelloF said, Paul kinda did just blurted it out in the Sonic Grams which is indeed weird, but I guess he already figured that it was all too obvious that she was Mighty's sister anyway. I mean really, it's too obvious folks.

Ian has said that this storyline will be bigger then "EndGame", so I very much doubt that he would pull the "It's all a dream" crap.

IF he can pull that off, then I can tip my hat to him. Having Sally roboticized for an extended period of time is ball-sy. I wanna see Knuckles get involved with this soon and see if he can go head-to-head against her.