Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It's because Turbojet has some odd vendetta against characters and seeing as Sally has become obsolete now that she's just a mindless robot I suppose he need some other target for his unfounded hate.

I am going to stop you right here.

I'm a Spider-man fan. Not because Peter kicks ass. Not just because I dream of swinging from buildings in New York and getting one hell of an adrenaline rush boner. I love Spider-man because of the romance. And no, I don't ship like some pre-pubescent fangirl. I let the writers do the heartwarming moments and they do it damn well. Never has any media outlet, especially comic books, do something radical and outlandish and make marriage appear fun while still retaining the reality of marriage. Like so.

tumblr_lwbf5uod4W1r234p3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1325727614&Signature=Zg8M1Updtsslic19%2BU9qwSbdZh0%3D

So I don't hate romance. I hate shallow romances where one character, usually the female, suffers from "can't think of anything else but their man" syndrome, as my girlfriend coined it or having characters hand crafted to be nothing but perfect for the character because they are exactly the same. Coincidentally, Julie-Su falls in both categories. Not to mention the abomination, Soultouch, Penders obsession with his creations, and fucking Soultouch(Yes, I know I said it twice, but it is that poignant), her entire existence is to be Knuckle's girlfriend and nothing but his girlfriend and that is annoying to have these characters around for the sake of that purpose.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now that Robotnik is trying to make Sally into more of a battle robot, and given the cover of Sonic #235, it seems like Sonic will be fighting Sally eventually...I'm curious as to how and when. Makes me wonder if there will be just one big showdown a couple years from now at 250, or if he'll encounter her multiple times with each fight getting more difficult.

You know what the sad thing about soultouch is? Ken didn't invent that, it's from right out of Star Trek, and the rules of it there were far less contrived.

Ken drew a shitton of inspiration from outside sources (some of the inspiration being utter ripoffs), from Star Wars (Wynmacher's original outfit is basically Vader without a helmet), to Star Trek (there's the soultouch like you said, and the Legion's cybernetics are a clear nod to the Borg's), to The Twilight Zone (...do I have to say it?). Which is what makes his hypocrisy in this whole thing (particularly dealing with EA/SEGA over the Chronicles thing) so infuriating. Half of his "original" work is either derivative of SEGA's work or someone else's.

Wait, didn't Penders work on an issue or two of a Star Trek comic? I see a potential legal argument for Archie's side of the case coming together here.... (And more Penders hypocrisy, but what else is new?)

Edited by Neon Zephyr

This has been a story literally years in the making and was being plotted out even during the early days of the KNUCKLES series I was writing back in the day. It was always my intent to create an epic mythology that tracked the hero's complete life, including the history that preceded him as well as the legacy he left behind.

One of the main aspects that have come to define what we call heroes are their adversaries, and in the upcoming LARA-SU CHRONICLES, there are few that more ruthless, treacherous or deadlier than Lien-Da of the Dark Legion.

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

She is a key player in the civil war that's been a long time coming between the factions of science and religion of her people, and she has no intention of coming out on the losing end. Among the Dark Legion itself, there is no one more feared within its ranks, not even her great ancestor, Dimitri.

THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES is currently being developed for release in two different versions. There's the 20th Century Version (traditional print graphic novel) and the 21st Century Version (digital release). What makes the digital release different from most digital downloads is that not only is the art being produced for multi-purpose use, to allow for the limited use of animation in non-iPad/iPhone formats (since they don't allow for the use of Flash technology), but I'm currently exploring adding features such as an audio track and bi-lingual word balloons, making the story immediately accessible to readers in either English or Spanish. If circumstances allow, we may add on additional language translations to allow for wider global accessibility.

Due to my proximity in the Hollywood area with access to a number of creative professionals, and my experience with film projects THE LOST ONES and THE REPUBLIC, there will be some surprises as to the vocal talents involved with the project.

I'll have further details of both the story and the release formats in future announcements.

URGH that guy doesn't know a thing about character design, does he ? She's just horrible !

OMG...just...OMG. I know QUITE a few fans who'll be storming Ken's headquarters with torches and pitchforks quite shortly.

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

Oh my god, the past two looked terrible, but this one is the worst of the bunch. I mean........What!?!?!

444.gif

Edited by Chaos Warp

What? I...em...WHAT?

I am left speechless by how much he's bastardized Lien Da. That's just so awful, I can't even...WOW

Oh look, now we have a broom to go with the mop

Good lord, I'm absolutely terrified to see how Dimitri comes out

Oh dear. I know precisely zero things about art, but I'm pretty sure even I wouldn't have picked that colour scheme.

...honestly, though, I'm more curious about this 'surprising vocal talent' stuff. It would totally slay me to see Penders' not-Archie acted out by honest-to-God celebrities because Ken had dinner with them once and guilted them into it.

The fact that these designs are getting progressively worse the more he keeps showing more of them is genuinely amazing. I saw the Lara-Su one and thought "Well it can't really get much worse than that." Then the Julie-Su one came around.

"Okay this really can't get any worse.."

Now I sit in this chair, utterly baffled and highly amused.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

Why does Ken insist on giving echidnas hair and dreadlocks? It's incredibly tacky... and dreads are basically like hair already. :|

Also, he's lying to himself if he thinks this'll pass legal.

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

Sweet baby jesus, I honestly think he's doing this on purpose to see how shitty he can make them.

Why does Ken insist on giving echidnas hair and dreadlocks? It's incredibly tacky... and dreads are basically like hair already. :|

It's that Archie obsession with designing females that look as if they scalped a human woman and decided to parade around with their do's atop their heads. Female Echidna's having this next to their dreadlock-quills is this horrible Sonic character-design sin taken to it's most extreme conclusion.

Edited by Verte

It's that Archie obsession with designing females that look as if they scalped a human woman and decided to parade around with their do's atop their heads. Female Echidna's having this next to their dreadlock-quills is this horrible Sonic-design sin taken to it's most extreme conclusion.

I actually don't think the Archie echidna's look that bad, they are certainly better then all this Penders crap (Well, almost anything in Archie is).

Well, I'm okay with different colored hair/fur if it looks right. I mean, Sally's hair doesn't bother me, but that's because it's not like she has hair AND something else like dreads/quills/etc to go along with it.

But Archie overdoes it. For one, reptiles with hair. Plus the echidnas and some hedgehog designs. I'm cool with Uncle Chuck, but it's not like he has hair on top of his head in addition to the brows, mustache, and quills.

Most of the Archie "hair on dreads" designs work because their hair is the same color as their dreads or a close enough color. (See: Julie-Su and Knuckles' mom.) These are just all over the place in terms of hair/dread coloring. It's incredibly ugly and doesn't work at all. They look like they're wearing bad wigs over their dreads.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Wha...I, what?

Seriously, what?

I have no words to say, this is just fucking ridiculous.

Edit: Okay, I do have SOME words

1. I find it ironic that he's happy to use the name for Lien-Da that was derived from a fan, I would have thought he'd go back to Kommissar.

2. Green and purple usually complement wach other wonderfully, regardless of the shade. You'd have to be an absolute failure of an artist to choose puke green and prune spew, two colours which don't even look appealing on their own. Penders, take note.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Most of the Archie "hair on dreads" designs work because their hair is the same color as their dreads or a close enough color. (See: Julie-Su and Knuckles' mom.) These are just all over the place in terms of hair/dread coloring. It's incredibly ugly and doesn't work at all. They look like they're wearing bad wigs over their dreads.

I agree with this and this is why I don't mind Archie echidna designs that much.

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

Holy fucking shit, that is fucking DISGUSTING!!! Seriously, what the fuck is that?

T....that doesn't even look like an echidna, it looks like some awful human/echidna hybrid, Jesus Christ.....

I bet poor Locke is rolling in his grave.

Edit: And the tagline is STILL fucking awful and sounds like it was written by a 13 year old.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 2

He has to be doing this on purpose this time. Not even a retard would try to pull this.

...and of course, he's being completely serious.