Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

So, still no confirmation as to whether Roger is Consoles or not?

Well...

If you'll listen to this: http://www.rogercraigsmith.com/media/RogerCraigSmithAnimation.mp3

...it sounds very similar to the ad at the end of this video: http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii83/jonibravo/?action=view&current=MOV01307.flv

...as well as Ted, here, who is also played by Roger (at 1:02):

...and finally, this video sounds a lot like Roger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSh7hpJjGeY

This leads me to believe that the CONSOLES from Alton Towers is Roger.

I for one am also surprised at the lack of outrage about the voice actor change. I'm not saying it deserves outrage, quite the opposite - both Roger and Kate are very talented and have huge potential as Sonic and Tails. I'm just surprised there hasn't been more fuss, that's all. Heck, even Spax isn't raging. People have taking it all rather well.

So I reiterate what I said earlier in the day - I look forward to hearing the new guys in action, good luck to the previous cast on their future projects.

And bravo, Sonic fanbase. You've not ashamed yourself this time. For the most part, anyway.

There's a few reasons why there wasn't any outrage. As one member already said, we were warned well in advance by Sega themselves instead of having a cast member randomly go, "Yeah, we got dropped out of nowhere" and inciting feelings of betrayal. Also, the 4Kids cast was a lot more controversial than the original cast has ever been, evidenced by the disparity in popularity between Jason and Ryan, so for many people the only place to go in terms of quality would've been to go up. Third, the effort to get Ryan to return has completely floundered, and coupled with the devaluation of storytelling in general and just how much of a taboo subject voice acting's become in recent years, (I still think some of you in this topic overreacted a little to a few Ryan fans, good intentions or not xD), it becomes a lot harder to be significantly upset or irrational. xD

Roger, that sneaky clever bastard XD I have a theory about what he did, hear meh owt.

Jason was obviously replaced by Roger months ago, and while Roger may have his own unique take on Sonic, I'll bet he used his amazing talent to do the spot-on impersonation of Jason seen in that Alton Towers resort ad.

I'll bet he knew that if he did this, it would throw off suspicion of Sonic having a new actor, though peeps with super-ears still heard the difference anyway. =p

That's my theory.

Edited by Ferno

For anyone's reference and going to examine some names further now, I got this from both games credits...

MadWorld Cast

Massasa Moyo- Amaia, Female Reporter

Danny Cooksey- Leo, Scared Businessman, Killseeker 3

Fred Tataschiore- Von Twirlenkiller, The Shamans, Big Long Driller

Liam O'Brien- Zombie Soildier 7, Scissors <am

Charlie Adler- Jude the Dude, Frank, Killseeker A

Roger Craig Smith- Grays, Gang Member, <aster Son (George)

Jim Ward- Agent XIII, Killseeker D, Police Chief

Roger Jackson- Tengu, Shogun Kokushimuso, Man A

Andrew Canshino- Sum Yung, Patient, Man B

Kate Higgins- Naomi, RinRin

Scott Bullock- President, Yee Fung, Little Eddie

Kyle Hebert- 'Big Bull' Crocker, Scissors Man, Ninja

Steve Blum- Jack Cayman

Reno Wilson- The Black Baron, Male Reporter

Robin Atkin Downs- Operator A, Kojack

Dwight Schultz- Noa, Martin

Nolan North- Operator B, Master Father (Francis), Yokozuna Daisangen

John DiMaggio- Kreese Kreely

Greg Proops- Howard "Buckshot" Holmes

Valkyria Chronicles Cast (roles will over ride each other since credits presented one name per entry)

Dave Wittenberg- Welkin Gunther

Colleen O'Shaughnessey- Alicia Melchiott

Fred Tatasciore- Largo Potter

Hedy Burress- Rosie

Laura Bailey- Isara Gunther

Steve Blum- Zaka

Kari Wahlgren-Irene Elle

Robin Atkin Downes- Fadio Landzaat

Julia Fletcher- Eleanor Varrot

John DeMita- Kreis Czherny

Patrick Seitz- Leon Schmidt

Kate Higgins- Cordelia gi Randgriz

Dwight Schultz- Maurits von Borg

John DiMaggio- Georg von Damon

Kate Higgins- Martha Lipponen

Dwight Schultz- Giorgios Geld

Dave Wittenberg- Hans (Pig)

Matt King- Maximilian

April Stewart- Selvaria Bles

Patrick Seitz- Radi Jaeger

Roger L. Jackson- Berthold Gregor

RANDOM Valkyria Chronicles Cast: Candy Milo, Chris Edgerly, Cindy Robinson, Daniel Sexton, Grey Delisle, Jack Fletcher, Kathryn Feller, Liam O'Brien, Massasa Moyo, Megan Hollingshead, Nolan North, Quinton Flynn, Roger Craig Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCW4vBNLAQ

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could this be the best year for the Sonic fan?

I think it would be next year. Judging by the circumstances of it being the 20th anniversary, and judging by how you can tell SEGA is trying harder by their efforts of making 3 successful games... we can tell SEGA will try their hardest to not screw this up.

I thought the fluffy kittens were doing a story today on how you guys handled my leaks.

I wish I was kidding. -_-

Well they still haven't reached me for comment.

Edited by XD375

Perhaps a contract expired? Or maybe they just felt like since they were pulling writers from Madworld, why not get a couple of VA's to complete the set?

Those are the only things I can think of, really. But I'm betting it's just a simple contract expiration.

I still need to find any social networking thing-a-ma jigs of the 4kids cast (The ones who have them) and give them my thanks for their services. I think I'll feel a lot better after doing that.

Hmmm it seems Jason has a facebook but it's friends only. I know he has a MySpace account but Gawd I haven't logged into that in years. It's cobweb city.

Also I think they were replaced because X has been over for a loooong time. And with no more Sonic X there's no more need to keep the people who sound like them. And I guess this way Sega can hand pick who they want to voice who and have a lot more freedom.

Edited by Dejablue

Perhaps a contract expired?

That's what I have my money on and seems like the most logical explanation.

Also I think they were replaced because X has been over for a loooong time. And with no more Sonic X there's no more need to keep the people who sound like them. And I guess this way Sega can hand pick who they want to voice who and have a lot more freedom.

Ah yeah, Sonic X. I forgot that detail, pretty dumb reason to have them do the games as well, innit? Screams "Yeah so we were too cheap to hire other VAs for the games." But then again, it might have been some kind of contractual deal with 4Kids that caused their inclusion in the games at the same time. So like I mentioned, the deal/contract has more than likely worn out since.

But hey, just speculatin' here. P:

Or... They could of just wanted new VAs? Since people complain about bad voice acting?

See, I want to think that, but this kinda seems like a happy coincidence for Sega's PR department.

"What's that, 4Kids' contracts expired? Great! Now we can tell the fanbase that we 'listened' to them and score some points with them. BRILLIANT!"

Okay I'm being cynical here. But seriously, I'd like to hear the real reason why. It's likely a combination of things.

See, I want to think that, but this kinda seems like a happy coincidence for Sega's PR department.

"What's that, 4Kids' contracts expired? Great! Now we can tell the fanbase that we 'listened' to them and score some points with them. BRILLIANT!"

Okay I'm being cynical here. But seriously, I'd like to hear the real reason why. It's likely a combination of things.

I still think it's SEGA of Europe's new leadership.

Them deciding on a new permanent director for Sonic Team, making a game for the classic series, not adding a game ruining gimmick, hiring new scriptwriters, all together getting Sonic's act back together, and then hiring new VAs as a whole seems like SEGA is up to something for Sonic's 20th anniversary and likely has to do with SEGA of Europe now running SEGA of America.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think it's SEGA of Europe's new leadership.

Them deciding on a new permanent director for Sonic Team, making a game for the classic series, not adding a game ruining gimmick, hiring new scriptwriters, all together getting Sonic's act back together, and then hiring new VAs as a whole seems like SEGA is up to something for Sonic's 20th anniversary and likely has to do with SEGA of Europe now running SEGA of America.

As I was thinking. Looks like alot of stuff is goin' on behind the scenes...

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg?w=300&h=225

I'm watchin' you Sega... tryin' to be awesome and whatnot...

• Thumbs Up 2

No idea yet. It could just be a one time only deal for now, and SEGA may hire them as well if it proves to be a wise decision.

Perhaps a contract expired? Or maybe they just felt like since they were pulling writers from Madworld, why not get a couple of VA's to complete the set?

Those are the only things I can think of, really. But I'm betting it's just a simple contract expiration.

I feel like it's this, too. I know Mike Pollock really liked voicing Eggman, so maybe he decided to audition with SEGA when they were looking for the new VAs. Or maybe he just asked if he could stay. I'm not really sure how all that works... it would be great to ask him about it.

Good thing he's staying, too. He was the best 4Kids guy in my opinion.

EDIT: mleh... typos.

Edited by Sapphire

It wouldn't be the first time Mike Pollock did something outside of 4Kids' influence. He had a brief role in the Ah! My Goddess TV series dub as well as a handful of other series.

Hahaha Dan Green and Lisa Ortiz are characters in that god awful movie. Do they have no shame?

Actually I thought Dan Green was the narrator and a character while Pollock was a character. I don't think he nar-....

Yeah I watched the whole damn movie.

I'm ashamed of myself.

Also Jason Griffith voiced Iron Man in some animated comic book. I'm not an Iron Man fan though so I can't say for sure.

Edited by Dejablue