Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Eurghh. All of the stuff from the room still sounds pretty terrible.

...his voice in the ad is very different, though, and considerably better. I'm not sure what's up... different voice director, maybe?

Maybe that's his real Sonic voice and he was just impersonating Griffith for Alton Towers? ...eh. I dunno. I'm starting to sound like a broken record now.

We'll just see in Sonic Colors.

Edited by Ryusuke

Eurghh. All of the stuff from the room still sounds pretty terrible.

...his voice in the ad is very different, though, and considerably better. I'm not sure what's up... different voice director, maybe?

It's very likely the voice recordings for the ride area and hotel room were recorded much further in advance than the TV ad so he likely improved for the ad or the director had him be more professional for it. I wouldn't mind the TV ad version being in the games, if he improves on that version by the time Free Riders and Colours are out that'd be awesome.

I don't know what to think about this... but the best thing to do is just wait and see

WHY ARE THE MOST PARANOID FANS ALWAYS RIGHT!?

WHY ARE THE MOST PARANOID FANS ALWAYS RIGHT!?

Roger, that sneaky clever bastard XD I have a theory about what he did, hear meh owt.

Jason was obviously replaced by Roger months ago, and while Roger may have his own unique take on Sonic, I'll bet he used his amazing talent to do the spot-on impersonation of Jason seen in that Alton Towers resort ad.

I'll bet he knew that if he did this, it would throw off suspicion of Sonic having a new actor, though peeps with super-ears still heard the difference anyway. =p

That's my theory.

That sounded paranoid?

._.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it worked for me. Cause that commercial sounds exactly like Jason Griffith.

Blarrgg. Neither the commercial nor the Sonic Room voices sound like Griffith to me. I'll admit that Smith sounds better in the ad than at Alton Towers, but I guess it'll take some getting used to. :\

I'll get used to it eventually though. As with the other characters, I hope.

I will get used to Rouge's voice the second I hear that it's not Manuel's.

Edited by HunterTSF

I will get used to Rouge's voice the second I hear that it's not Manuel's.

When it turns out that she's the only cast member other than Mike who'll stay on, I'll laugh. Then, shortly thereafter, I'll cry. Giant black tears pumped straight from my soul.

In other news, I'm still curious about who'll be voicing Shadow. Part of me actually kind of hopes that he's voiced by Roger as well:

"Maria... this is my promise I made to you. WOOOOOAH~!"

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 3

Has anyone read the comments to this on the TSS page? I don't know if I should laugh or hold my head in my hands.

The way some people are going on anyone would think that the world is going to end.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seriously, this is brilliant fun guys. The AT room has some crappy lines and pretty awful direction, probably because nobody really cared about the voice for it. That advert sounds a thousand times better, and he's going to sound better in game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Has anyone read the comments to this on the TSS page? I don't know if I should laugh or hold my head in my hands.

The way some people are going on anyone would think that the world is going to end.

*Checks Comment box to see if looks like they are acting like it's the end of the world and comes across an awesome comment*

I think this was the best comment of the whole TSS article comment box what made sense to me and spoke the truth XD lol

And the fucking fan dumb fucking complains. Fucking voice acting does not fucking matter in a fucking video game. Gameplay does. You fucking fanbrats will never fucking be fucking pleased. You haven’t fucking even fucking heard his fucking voice in the fucking video game!

Fucking voice acting does not fucking matter in a fucking video game. Gameplay does

At least someone in the Sonic Fandom understands that along with me (well not just me) in this fan base

and yes a lot of them are acting it the end of the world I mean it's only voice acting it's barely game breaking one of the less important things in a game for me (and to others as well) *sigh* what happened to the good old days where it was all about the gameplay than the VA's and cutscenes I blame animes :P

Edited by Crash
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

This topic is HUGE, but I have been lurking in it for ages So here's what I have to say...

It's strange that they are getting a new cast for a second time. I'm not sad or angry about it (I didn't actually care for the 4Kids cast, there were good and BAD =P), but I just find it strange. Even moreso that Mikey is staying. Then again, he's my favourite of the cast so I don't mind! =P

It is a pity for Jason though because he really was improving. If you compare Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed, it really is amazing how much he had improved on his acting and voice for Sonic. >.>

Anyways, what do I think of Craig "CONSOLESWOOOAH" Smith doing the voice of the blue hedgehog? Well it's good they got a more...professional guy doing the voice, but um...Alton Towers, goodness. *criiiinge* XD

Then again, it's very different to the advert, where he sounds a bit higher and not as cheesy. When I first heard it though, I knew it wasn't Jason. Didn't expect it to actually be his new voice actor though.

You know what? I'll just wait till the game comes out, or when there's more gameplay with Craig voicing Sonic. 8D

Edited by Gabz Girl

Bad voice acting can be hugely jarring to a game. The voice acting in ShTH was bad and that really hindered the entire experience. It doesn't matter as much as the actual gameplay does, but it's a complete package. Crap music, graphics, voices, story or presentation have a knock on effect on everything else. Imagine if the TR series had bad voices. You wouldn't be able to empathise with Lara as much as would you want to laugh at her.

You know what? I'll just wait till the game comes out, or when there's more gameplay with Craig voicing Sonic. 8D

And this.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure he'll be much better by the time Free Riders and Colours are out guys!

Slightly off topic, just found this virtual recreation of the Alton Towers Sonic Spinball ride posted 2 days ago -

I turned the music off and played the music to Speed Highway.

Much better.

Lol! Yeah, they should have picked a Sonic music track for it to be a true recreation since the ride itself plays Sonic music <_<

Awesome recreation there looks pretty sweet I was already playing Twinkle Cart music over before I started the video it suits it much better than what the guy chose to play over it XD is that game Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 damn I've not played Rollercoaster Tycoon in years good times and lots of bad but funny times rides failing and killing people FTW lol good game =)

Assuming Roger does use the Alton Towers Sonic voice for the games, then I think it's the kind of voice that might bug me a little at first but I'll eventually get used to - it's not a hugely awful voice, it's just deeper than Jason's and will take some adjusting to.

Heck, the only reason I didn't really notice the VA change from Drummond & Co to 4Kids was because I started watching Sonic X in between Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog... so by the time I got Shadow, I was familiar with all the new voices and I hardly noticed it. Well, until I eventually got around to joining the online Sonic fanbase anyway...

Also I love how Roger's Sonic has become a meme before he's even done a single game. He'll never be able to shake off the nickname "Consoles" now :P

He was possibly fobbing you off - because Alton Towers is a UK thing, and Jason was still voicing Sonic when that showed up, but then again I suppose All Stars Racing used nothing but previously recorded voice samples from older games, so they may have already hired him at the time... BUT it makes more sense that Alton Towers would have hired somebody else.

Either way, as an ex-musician with a lot of experience with sound tech, I can tell you that the samples in the hotel room you hear are all played at a lower frequency than they were recorded in - they're much slower than is natural as well, most likely the folks at the resort changed the frequency so that the words are really nice and clear for people coming in from other countries, young children etc. It's more common than you might think. The ASR advert would be a far better reference, but even then, he's not been directed by a game director so it's not going to be at his best.

Speaking personally, I probably will have a bit of an adjustment period, but looking at it objectively, the bit at the end of the ASR commercial is of a higher professional quality than either Ryan or Jason.

I doubt the 'announcer' in Colours is Sonic, even if it is Roger, because it's done in a whole 'gameshow host' way, and the words like 'outstanding!' etc. the way it's acted, it's clearly supposed to be a voiceover and not Sonic. Also Sonic makes a few sounds in the gameplay vid if I remember rightly, and it's much higher pitched.

Edited by DistantJ

Where's that render from ?

That image is a scan of the back of the photo book you can buy at the Sonic Spinball ride with a photo of you on the ride inside, the render is also used on a wall next to the ride. I haven't seen it used anywhere outside of Alton Towers.