Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

I feel the same way you do. I already like him better as a person than Jason, and I hate how he's getting flamed, etc. already, and he's never even been in a Sonic game yet! I just really don't want him to use his Consoles voice, and he IS capable of a great Sonic if you listen to his demo reel.

facepalm8bu0ph9.jpg

Are you serious?

That has to be a record or something...

2cpucmo.jpg

I love you for that.

Did you make it?

I think Sonic sounded best in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes personally. Ryan had some pretty lousy direction in Adventure 1.

Edited by XD375

Does anyone have a link to that UK ASR tv ad with the Alton Towers Sonic Spinball short ad on the end which contains another voice clip?

When I originally heard that clip, I said how it sounded as if they took some random Sega employee, threw them in a sound booth, and told them to read off the script.

Now that I know it was actually a professional voice actor with many noteworthy credits to his name, I grow very, very sad.

I REALLY hope he sounds better in the games.

I love you for that.

Did you make it?

Yes, I made it. :3

What did Griffith do as a person to earn any disliking towards his personality? :huh:

I know, it's terrible. The guy wears condoms and everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the voice clips if you haven't heard them, courtesy of SSMB's own Gnasher -

The clips are later in the video after some Sonic stalking. :lol:

Puts on E-Omega voice "Sonic The hedgehog Stalking.... Through fairytale land mission... complete!"

Reading some of the coments here and on the TSS article, some people are just moaning because it's been a few weeks since we've had a moan about something. Fact is, RCS has improved already, but because we don't have a youtube video of it, we don't want to link to that.

Roger consoles smith sounding pretty good as Sonic.

A little surprised that it's actually him, but also not surprised. It was beginning to look like Consoles couldn't be anyone else. At least we have a proper clip of him now. Sonic doesn't need vocalizations for every little thing though. I think of the early Unleashed videos when he goes "Whoaaah".

And this is from five pages ago, but that's really Lisa Ortiz? Weird to hear. But it also kind of makes me want her as Rouge the Bat with the deep voice.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not feeling it. His voice is all over the place, up and down, and just sounds forced rather than genuine attitude.

But eh, it's not THAT important to me. I've never really cared for any of his VAs, so I won't lose sleep if Roger isn't to my liking either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of surprised no one bothered to ask if that's the voice he'll use in the game...*does so* >_>; I'll get back to you guys, but boy this is surprising. I think he was impersonating Jason Griffith to hide the fact Sonic was recast until now.

Edited by Ryusuke

Out of curiosity, why hasn't anyone uploaded that to youtube? Does the guy (Not sure who the guy is) just not want it to be?

Edited by MarcelloF

Out of curiosity, why hasn't anyone uploaded that to youtube? Does the guy (Not sure who the guy is) just not want it to be?

I'm quite surprised it hasn't been put on YouTube in all the time it's been on the net, I'd convert it and YouTube it myself if I knew how :lol:

GODDAMN IT ALL!!

Why all the sudden skepticism.

Read the lines out yourself.

Can you honestly think of somebody saying "Check out the consoles WOOOOOOOAH!!" in a normal way.

It cheesy because the lines and the context demanded it.

I've done a bit of voice acting myself, and you act out the lines based on the context they are given in.

For example, a line could be "Holy shit!!!"

"Holy Shit" can mean multiple things.

"Holy shit [you scared the crap outta me]"

"Holy shit [that was awesome]"

etc.

Then compare it to a line like "Check out the consoles..WOOOOOOAH!"

There is only one way you can act the line.

Try for yourself.

You can say it normally, but that isn't acting, and it would sound retarded and unconvincing [to children, who its aimed at]

When you try to act out the line, you can't help but fall back onto a overbaked campy style.

I'm sure he'll sound better when he's given proper lines to do anyway.

When I heard the "consoles" line, I pretty much knew that he put little to no effort into the line at all.

It was too deep, which means he needed to have it recorded quickly. Given his demo reel, he can go higher pitch, and I imagine he would do given the time.

It was overacted. No actor on earth could take a line like that seriously. They'd just say it quickly to get it out of the way.

I may be sounding a bit too optimistic, but if the script is any better (as written by Madworld people), I'm sure the acting will match it.

Edited by Requiem
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I actually think that unlike the Sonic game lines and the TV spot, the simply explanation is that unlike the videogame voice, the room and the TV spot has not undergone as much 'treatment' as a video game voice would.

I'm quite surprised it hasn't been put on YouTube in all the time it's been on the net, I'd convert it and YouTube it myself if I knew how :lol:

Same here :lol:

I actually like Roger's voice in the SASR commercial. It sounds a bit like Jason(A bit different, but not too much) without his nose stuffed..

Edited by MarcelloF

That video was actually uploaded by someone over at the tower times website of all places. Wasn't done by someone interested in Sonic.

Not sure many Sonic fans have actually seen the advert on TV.

Well, since it's finally been confirmed, perhaps it's time to post this.

Wait, this is actually my first time hearing this. xD

The words and exclamation are bad, but there is nothing wrong with the voice. :mellow: (though he sounds deeper compared to Griffith)

So maybe I am missing something, what are we complaining about? :unsure:

off-topic:

Then compare it to a line like "Check out the consoles..WOOOOOOAH!"

There is only one way you can act the line.

Try for yourself.

I tried with Vector's voice.

I lol'd.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I tried with Vector's voice.

I lol'd.

WOW...And I thought it couldn't get worse...

"Find the computer CONSOLE room!!"

Anyway, there is no way any actor alive, could say "CHECK OUT THE CONSOLES...WOOOOOAH" without sounding like a fucking idiot.

Seriously, its not the actor, its the lines he had to read...

Edited by Requiem

That video was actually uploaded by someone over at the tower times website of all places. Wasn't done by someone interested in Sonic.

Not sure many Sonic fans have actually seen the advert on TV.

It seems like other UK Sonic promotions - the former Jetix (now Disney XD) still gets the major Sonic based ads seeing as they own the European rights to Sonic X still (I've rarely seen a fully featured Sonic promo on other channels unless it was McDonald's). Disney XD doesn't show Sonic X at all now and I can't think of many shows that would pull in Sonic fans apart from possibly Pokemon.

Oh Shadzter, I has present for ya:

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Took a whole minute as I already have the right programs. :D

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate to be a grump, but that "Better" voice acting sounds to childish. He almost has it, but not quite. I want more mature than Griffith, not less :unsure:

Its not the actor...its the lines.

Given the context and his lines, I'd say that was an appropriate voice for the situation.

Oh Shadzter, I has present for ya:

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Took a whole minute as I already have the right programs. :D

Thanks a lot, appreciate it! Added it to my article with credit to you for the conversion.

Eurghh. All of the stuff from the room still sounds pretty terrible.

...his voice in the ad is very different, though, and considerably better. I'm not sure what's up... different voice director, maybe?